Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Kurtofan posted:

you mean less than an hour per gym session?

Buy this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/0982522738

Then check out this thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654674&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Read book. Find gym with equipment (squat rack, bench, barbells), do beginning suggested program. It will definitely help with lower body (as well as the rest, but it doesn't focus on the upper body as much as a lot of bodybuilder/"look like muscle mag guy" programs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

rippetoe claims another victim

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

gently caress i forgot how annoying it is to feel hungry. i should've had a bigger lunch, or maybe any breakfast. dont even have more cigarettes smdh. guess its time for more vending machine protein bars

for yuo goons whore to lazy too work out, a diet of wellbutrin, cigarettes, and drinkable stimulants is an excellent way to fast without realizing your doing it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

The Stronglifts 5x5 program is like 30 minutes. And then I jog the other two days of the week (jogging sucks).

Sooooooo not very much time at all. I definitely want to spend more time weight lifting but the program says not to. Probably to keep you from hurting yourself in the early stages.

Once you plateau and move on to an intermediate program like 5/3/1, that's when you can do the quintessential powerlifter thing of shooting the poo poo for 5 minutes between each set

If you're having a good time and want to be there longer, do some machines

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

im down to 217 today, lightest ive been since i was like 19 years old.

goal is 205... its happening

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

instead of doing stronglifts 5x5 or other weightlifting routines ive been taking these "strength and conditioning" classes in my gym. basically 1 hours classes with a bunch of old ladies where i lift smaller weights but with a ton of reps. kind of like P90x. instead of like 5 lb weights though i use 15 lbs weights and its really good and hard

i find it helps because having other people around push me out of my comfort zone to push harder and harder than i would normally on my own

anyway i think it doesn't matter what you do, just literally moving around is better than sitting your rear end on the couch, to each their own

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My gym time is 2-3 hours a week depending on how many days I go, with running on the days that I don't go. I should run longer than I do during the week but there's not many good places to run here unless I want to take the time to get out of the city.

Rocks posted:

im down to 217 today, lightest ive been since i was like 19 years old.

goal is 205... its happening

Nice!

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

my gym has a cold plunge in the mens locker room, it loving rules to spend 15 minutes sweating your rear end of in a sauna then jumping into an ice bath for 60 seconds

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
can people recommend vegetables that are easy to cook and good for a diet, I really don't like cooking so I don't eat a lot of veggies

something that doesn't take too long

also good fruits

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

you can wilt a whole bag of spinach in a big pot in like 10 minutes with some salt, garlic and lemon juice, serve with any protein. spinach is the strongest vegetable and you won't need anything else

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

What are you guys thoughts on ECA stack?

I dabbled with it a few years ago and it seemed alright. Really killed my appatite so that helped.

Any studies come out saying it'll explode my heart or if its any good?

Edit:

Kurtofan posted:

can people recommend vegetables that are easy to cook and good for a diet, I really don't like cooking so I don't eat a lot of veggies

also good fruits
If you can find it for a decent price, asparagus. Tastes great and you can just blanch it real quick, steam it, pan fry, grill...whatever.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Been biking to work and lifting 2-3 times a week. Down 20 lbs from June, which isn't amazing, but I'm still kinda poo poo at diet, especially on the weekends. Sadly, I've been getting lazy on increasing my lifts, I've been doing starting strength (the 5x5 program?) and having 275 for squats, 225 for bench, 315 for dead, and 165 for press and 185 for row, and I've not upped anything in like 3 weeks.

And only two of these lifts are above my bw. :ham:

The Dipshit has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Oct 19, 2018

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

also good fruits

these are good

frozen veggies are generally pretty excellent since they're flash frozen at a very good point in their life, not to mention u can put some soy sauce on them and microwave them to hot in 2-3 minutes.

also mixed greens with tomato and a bit of parmesan is good

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheDon01 posted:

What are you guys thoughts on ECA stack?

I dabbled with it a few years ago and it seemed alright. Really killed my appatite so that helped.

Any studies come out saying it'll explode my heart or if its any good?

Edit:

If you can find it for a decent price, asparagus. Tastes great and you can just blanch it real quick, steam it, pan fry, grill...whatever.

naw you'll be fine doing it in the short term

I don't do it anymore because the stimulant action destroys my dick and if I can't jack off I may as well be dead

the aspirin isn't really necessary either, but if you do keep it do a chewable kind

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

the bitcoin of weed posted:

spinach is the strongest vegetable and you won't need anything else

Eat the spinach to gain its powers

If you have time but are lazy, here is a tip to make low effort good vegetables:

stick just about any vegetable in the oven at 375 with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper on it (maybe garlic or herbs if you're feeling fancy) and you'll end up with a hardy satisfying nutrient rich meal. You can even leave the skin on most of them.

The length of time needed in the oven is inversely related to the how sympathetic that vegetable is to the earth. Underground vegetables such as beets, sweet potatoes, turnips, potatoes, onions, parsnips, and carrots need 45 minutes to an hour to bake, as do low-lying surface-level plants such as pumpkins and gourds. Plants with soil antipathy (those growing away from the soil surface or suspended above it) such as cauliflower, asparagus, peppers, lighter gourds such as zucchini, etc need only 15-25 minutes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

learn to make saag and you're good on veggies

kale is just hipster spinach, spinach is supreme

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

learn to make saag and you're good on veggies

kale is just hipster spinach, spinach is supreme

I mean, kale and chard last way longer into winter if you're growing your own. Which everyone should, because greens are expensive to buy at the store, good for you, and one of the easiest things in the world to grow.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crakkerjakk posted:

I mean, kale and chard last way longer into winter if you're growing your own. Which everyone should, because greens are expensive to buy at the store, good for you, and one of the easiest things in the world to grow.

my neighbor feeds deer so they're always around, nothing I'd try to grow stands a loving chance

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

it's squash season and people should be giving me butternut squashes, which become so plentiful as to become garbage. but i will eat them all

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

my neighbor feeds deer so they're always around, nothing I'd try to grow stands a loving chance

They'd probably grow fine if you stuck some 6" deep planters inside your house/apartment on any windowsill that gets a decent amount of light.

If you're looking for options.

Comedy option, the deer break into your house for delicious greens. Well, in a 2018 comedy sense.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

CBD oil is a vegetable right?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

cut your cauliflower thin, put it in a bowl and toss it with olive oil salt and pepper, and broil that poo poo for like, idk, 7 minutes on one side and 5 on the other? whatever. just loving do it bitch. eat the cauliflower

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Venison is a great source of protein

twoday
May 4, 2005

Tastykake posted:

cut your cauliflower thin, put it in a bowl and toss it with olive oil salt and pepper, and broil that poo poo for like, idk, 7 minutes on one side and 5 on the other? whatever. just loving do it bitch. eat the cauliflower

You can also just bake a whole one

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheDon01 posted:

Venison is a great source of protein

i could deer hunt with a loving shovel where I live

of course then you notice the radio collar and let me tell you it's a pain in the loving rear end getting that on another deer before people show up to see what's up

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Epic High Five posted:

i could deer hunt with a loving shovel where I live

:same:

Rare is the day I don't see at least three or four wander through my back yard, on their way to eat people's gardens and get hit by cars.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Venison is a luxury in my life, I only get to eat it once or twice a year. Besides normal meat bought at the store I have decent access to wild fish and various aquatic birds which, while having great Omega 3 and 6 content, are a bit too fatty too eat regularly. The non-fatty aquatic birds such as swans and egrets and moorhens taste pretty rancid, but have lots of protein. I go out of my way to track down horse meat, and probably eat as much of that as beef annually.Its nutritional value is stupendous, as is its protein content.my most common protein consumed is chicken probably.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

:same:

Rare is the day I don't see at least three or four wander through my back yard, on their way to eat people's gardens and get hit by cars.

yeah lol, I'll take them over the stench (apparently the actual collective noun) of skunks that silently wanders near by door with an extremely aggressive male that DOES NOT respect the fact that it's late and I'm tired

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

My main source of protein is fish, primarilly halibut.

This is just one days haul from 3 people's bag limit. The family and I are prob sitting on around 200lbs frozen for the winter.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheDon01 posted:

My main source of protein is fish, primarilly halibut.

This is just one days haul from 3 people's bag limit. The family and I are prob sitting on around 200lbs frozen for the winter.

I respect halibut but I love oily fishies to the level of fetish

it's a bad day indeed where I don't get to dig into my tin of sardines, much to the horror of my employees and friends

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

If you're ever up here in the right time of year we could go fill a trashcan or cooler with hooligan (candlefish). Its a type of smelt and they're oily as hell.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheDon01 posted:

If you're ever up here in the right time of year we could go fill a trashcan or cooler with hooligan (candlefish). Its a type of smelt and they're oily as hell.

how does this proximate to southern indiana, because that sound excellent

be nice to get a break from smelt and sards

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

how does this proximate to southern indiana, because that sound excellent

be nice to get a break from smelt and sards

Anchorage, Alaska. Im down south of there, but theres a big yearly run every spring right outside of town.

quote:

Hooligan were formerly harvested and rendered for their oil, which can comprise 15% of their body weight during the spawning run.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheDon01 posted:

Anchorage, Alaska. Im down south of there buy theres a big yearly run every spring right outside of town.

code:
Hooligan were formerly harvested and rendered for their oil, which can comprise 15% of their body weight during the spawning run.

ah, well, I'll have to just continue my hooligan harvests outside of the Indy Eleven playoffs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd love to live in sparsely populated regions with lots of mountains, I loving love mountains and bering in the middle of nowhere, but I'm also a huge commie whose skillset is hyperlocalized to well funded college towns

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
is intermittent fasting like a "real thing"? does it actually help you burn fat and lose weight more quickly or w/e? i ask b/c it is making me look super defined very quickly but maybe that's all water weight

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cargo cult posted:

is intermittent fasting like a "real thing"? does it actually help you burn fat and lose weight more quickly or w/e? i ask b/c it is making me look super defined very quickly but maybe that's all water weight

it depends, most people who do IF don't specifically do low carb so it's not a water weight thing

the main reason I love it is that it's a way to cut calories while not feeling like a loving rabbit because you get to eat them all in one big meal. the body adjusts beautifully to food frequency so skipping breakfast (most common IF) means you stop being hungry when you wake up within days. side benefit here is that you have a more stable energy until 1-2pm and coffee/tea don't break the fast unless you dump a bunch of sugar into it

there's a lot of science talking about HGH levels after fasts and test and blahblah but I'm pretty sure the main thing is that it makes you really consider the food you're eating and limits the window and thus calorie amounts, and I've done it for years and years

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
yea psychologically and physiologically it feels significantly easier to limit intake. i havent gotten a chance to work out for weeks now but i feel like once i do it'd be way easier to just fast, coffee, lift, then actually properly eat after lifting than to try to eat sensibly once or twice before lifting and then lift heavy for an hour and then try to make that second or third meal high protein but not excessively high calorie. thats a long winded way of saying once i lift and the adrenaline wears off i just want to start eating non stop a lot of the time. i havent tried IF + lifting in a long time, i just did it when i was younger without meaning to

twoday
May 4, 2005

If I am honest with myself, I am not hungry at the three standard daily meal times, and my appetite follows a pretty weird schedule of its own. I have tried to stir- myself of taboos of eating things at specific times, and I will not stop myself from eating a small bowl of soup for breakfast if it feels right, or an egg in the afternoon. Part of this is that sometimes I wi;; not feel hungry for long periods, especially in the summer, sometimes eating very little for a day or two. If this happens I will usually not force myself to eat and just roll with it, so based on my subjective experience alone I would say it’s natural and a thing that happens. I also remember reading years ago about the benefits of intermittent fasting, hour I don’t remember what they were. It does feel good sometimes. I will also sometimes quit eating meat for a few weeks or cut out some other elements of my diet, and this can feel pretty refreshing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

If I am honest with myself, I am not hungry at the three standard daily meal times, and my appetite follows a pretty weird schedule of its own. I have tried to stir- myself of taboos of eating things at specific times, and I will not stop myself from eating a small bowl of soup for breakfast if it feels right, or an egg in the afternoon. Part of this is that sometimes I wi;; not feel hungry for long periods, especially in the summer, sometimes eating very little for a day or two. If this happens I will usually not force myself to eat and just roll with it, so based on my subjective experience alone I would say it’s natural and a thing that happens. I also remember reading years ago about the benefits of intermittent fasting, hour I don’t remember what they were. It does feel good sometimes. I will also sometimes quit eating meat for a few weeks or cut out some other elements of my diet, and this can feel pretty refreshing too.

listen to ur body, it knows, barring situations of pathology where your own health is on the line because of an eating disorder

do squats 3 times a week and see if your appetite doesn't increase imho