Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

So you just take a big ol' bite of the sardine and eat whatever you get, bones and all, right?

I'm sick of tuna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Agronox posted:

So you just take a big ol' bite of the sardine and eat whatever you get, bones and all, right?

I'm sick of tuna.
tuna is rich and fatty dawg whats the provlem

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

twoday posted:

You can also just bake a whole one

thats a terrible idea, you dont get individually crispy edges that way, what the gently caress is wrong with you, i hate you, you're not my real dad

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agronox posted:

I'm sick of tuna.

the tiny little fishies are tinned and then cooked in the tin, the bones become basically like the most fragile of chalk. You can only even notice you're eating them if you try hard to focus on it and even then it's a spine.

Easier to tell with stuff like canned salmon, but even then it's like chalk

they're gutted (mostly - bristlings aren't but are left in the net for a few days before harvest so their GI tracts are empty) so it's just bones and skin which you'd never notice on tiny fish

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cargo cult posted:

Tuna ain't fatty for poo poo and is high in mercury

It's not a bad food but it's a lovely source of anything but protein

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

cargo cult posted:

friendship ended with tuna, now sardines is my best friend

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

TheDon01 posted:

quote:

Hooligan were formerly harvested and rendered for their oil, which can comprise 15% of their body weight during the spawning run.

Ah, so somewhat less greasy than your average goon.

cargo cult posted:

Mercury, yo.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

mercury is smooth, flowy, and glistening, like oil. i dont see the probleM???

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
is salmon high in mercury too

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

im high on mercury

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cargo cult posted:

surprisingly, no, it's about the same levels as with sardines

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

cargo cult posted:

Nope. Ocean critters bioaccumulate mercury from their diet and is compounded by their age. Because of their spawning lifecycle they never live longer than 3 to 5 years or so. Tuna can get to like 20

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
jogging is cool, i lost 50 pounds one year with just moderate jogs (1-2 miles) every few days, plus eating a bit less and a bit healthier

my broken knee cant run much more often than that without getting sore though. i'd go swimming more but you gotta pay for that plus have a pool near you plus i just goof off when swimming since floating is fun :banjo::cool:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i did IF yesterday and i think ill get back on it. need to drop like 15lbs so maybe that will help.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Ate bad last night so I'm fasting this morning and I actually don't feel as bad as I thought I would. My office mate even came around with donuts and I managed to tell her to keep on walking. I hope she still has some after lunch...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Ate bad last night so I'm fasting this morning and I actually don't feel as bad as I thought I would. My office mate even came around with donuts and I managed to tell her to keep on walking. I hope she still has some after lunch...

once your willpower is sufficient you can snag the morning snacks, then just save them for later

my willpower, alas, is not sufficient, as I am a tremendous glutton

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just as a note to all readers, if you do something that you are particularly enamored of and would like to do a quick rundown of why you think others should do it (or you did this and I missed it), I'll be happy to post it in the OP

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Mackerel is a fatty fish, easy to cook, cheapest of the sea

Easy to cook in a variety of ways, and full of protein and delicious fish grease

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

Mackerel is a fatty fish, easy to cook, cheapest of the sea

Easy to cook in a variety of ways, and full of protein and delicious fish grease

this is also true, and the canned variety is as healthy as the canned salmon is (very) while being like 1/3 the price

twoday
May 4, 2005

Here is an academic study on the nutritional benefits of horse meat if anyone is curious. according to Tucker Carlson, the chuds are working to relegalize it in the US

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Apparently the Stronglifts program isn't supposed to be done on the Smith machines, butttttttttttt I'm just gonna ignore that and assume doing it on those machines is better than doing nothing.

I can tell my squat form is not correct. I'm coming up on my toes and I can tell some of the weight is transferring to the rail. Are you supposed to lean your torso forward as you squat or does that happen naturally. I think I'm so concerned with keep my spine straight that my back is staying vertical when it shouldn't.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Apparently the Stronglifts program isn't supposed to be done on the Smith machines, butttttttttttt I'm just gonna ignore that and assume doing it on those machines is better than doing nothing.

I can tell my squat form is not correct. I'm coming up on my toes and I can tell some of the weight is transferring to the rail. Are you supposed to lean your torso forward as you squat or does that happen naturally. I think I'm so concerned with keep my spine straight that my back is staying vertical when it shouldn't.

I'm not sure correct squat form is even possible with the smith machine, it's better than nothing but it's not really squatting because it's not going to activate a lot of muscles that a barbell would

the bar should always be above the same line right down through the center of your body

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

I'm not sure correct squat form is even possible with the smith machine, it's better than nothing but it's not really squatting because it's not going to activate a lot of muscles that a barbell would

Shoot

Alright, you know what I'm just gonna spring for a trainer for a single session to show me proper form for stuff.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Epic High Five posted:

Just as a note to all readers, if you do something that you are particularly enamored of and would like to do a quick rundown of why you think others should do it (or you did this and I missed it), I'll be happy to post it in the OP

sex is pretty good cardio, i recommend everyone do that all day errday

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

smith machines are notorious for stealthily destroying knees, on the other hand you get to watch some wacky movements people somehow manage

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

got any sevens posted:

sex is pretty good cardio, i recommend everyone do that all day errday

just lol if u voluntarily share your vital essences with anyone

twoday
May 4, 2005

Is this the volcel thread??

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Since I'm not using my gym memership for lifting things I'm going to try going to the yoga class this week

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Reality Pisser posted:

Since I'm not using my gym memership for lifting things I'm going to try going to the yoga class this week

Yoga is pretty great.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Morning fasting crew- what should I eat before my 11 AM workouts on Saturdays? Following my loose IF schedule means that I wouldn't be eating until after class, but I feel like poo poo when I work out on an empty stomach.

Also

Crakkerjakk posted:

Yoga is pretty great.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i dont know anything about super diets but eggs are a cool protein

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Morning fasting crew- what should I eat before my 11 AM workouts on Saturdays? Following my loose IF schedule means that I wouldn't be eating until after class, but I feel like poo poo when I work out on an empty stomach.

Also

half cup of rice and a protein shake before, 1 cup of rice and a shake after

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
is there an exercise the smith machine is actually good for? i cringe whenever i see anyone attempting to do squats w it

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

It sucks for normal squats but if you really want to smoke your quads I've seen Mike Israetel (bodybuilder/diet expert) do close stance squats where you kind of use the bar to keep upright and push with your heels

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

power word- Jeb! posted:

is there an exercise the smith machine is actually good for? i cringe whenever i see anyone attempting to do squats w it

Bench press? That's the one I feel most grateful to have a smith machine for.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

jarofpiss posted:

maybe if someone posts an inspirational quote itt i will go weight train

Life is a gently caress

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

track calories
be under your calorie limit
eat more veggies and don’t eat so much goddamn sugar and carbs
exercise and sweat a couple times a week

just do it it’s not hard

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

power word- Jeb! posted:

can work delts real hard with one

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i tried to do my ohp day immediately after bjj and it was not happening today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

got smashed in the temple today and it hurts to chew now but im still gonna eat a whole lot of trash