Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

that was always the funniest promotion deal.

there's no way anyone actually thought it would be a good demonstration of the surface to have a bunch of sweaty guys trying to paw at the digitizer in the rain

my favorite part was when they had to send out press releases reminding everyone that no, they are NOT ipads they are microsoft corporation surfaces pro for windows 8, so please do NOT call them ipads while lambasting them for not working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

dammit, lowtax, renew your license with the nfl already

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

so the mastermind behind microsoft's horrible nfl surface deal is also a big time criminal

why would he do that - he seemed to have a perfectly normal, legal grift going before going into straight up fraud?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hobbesmaster posted:

why would he do that - he seemed to have a perfectly normal, legal grift going before going into straight up fraud?

why be happy with enough when you can have more

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

that's true of almost any LCD tho, they all use polarization filters. at best they won't be 180° off from your glasses

how dare you try and lessen my outrage!!!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

hobbesmaster posted:

capitalism.png is in GBS

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
posting this here because I’m not aware of a general “OSS crazies” thread

https://github.com/dotnet/csharplang/issues/1936#issuecomment-431070872

quote:

srburton commented about 3 hours ago • edited about 3 hours ago
My idea of #pragma it would be because I like c # developer should have full control the language can't stop me, disable functions that in my business suit not alias rule c # should have a form in run mode can create primitive types and tam bém preprocessor directives so linguem be fully templatable, leave the default the uptight to framework, I love developing hack, virus, spam, and with the c # runtime making it possible to mold that would be an enormous advance as the extension that was a great fucker, now imagine the power of programming c # behavior with the own c # code time. Thinking not in an MVC project or Windows Form more in specific projects and can create .dll that contains these mutants of behavior, this may came to security problem and not rely too much on nuget can get around with signatures that have .dll code that might interfere with the c # mode thinking that it would be interpresantes to disable some features and Frameworks visual ja talk that the framework of support, would be very similar to the operator more with everything from c #.

quote:

It's not language nature decide what I'll do with it or not, I might as well create malware or even make kernel for IOT with c # and can handle your core ai will programmer what it will do is not of character of language and of the laws of your parents , Only exists because you forgot to treat the language makes malware she also makes the vaccine soon says language is a tool who decides what's going to do with it is the programmer, it would be very useful I can create my #pragma or something else c #

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

brap posted:

It's not language nature decide what I'll do with it or not, I might as well create malware or even make kernel for IOT with c # and can handle your core ai will programmer what it will do is not of character of language and of the laws of your parents , Only exists because you forgot to treat the language makes malware she also makes the vaccine soon says language is a tool who decides what's going to do with it is the programmer, it would be very useful I can create my #pragma or something else c # 

:shuckyes:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

it's autotranslated

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

:rip: LinuxArchduke

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Sister has little dell netbook w/32gb emmc. No free space. No problem. Hmm, right click properties is only showing 10GB used. Disk cleanup cleans up maybe 200mb (she'd already ran it). Download third party tool to go exploring. Windows folder shows 3gb, actually has 8gb of trash in it that disk cleanup isn't seeing. 2GB of kernel dumps and 6gb(!) of old windows updates. Can't find a legitimate way to clean out the files so I just manually deleted them and hoped for the best (even ccleaner didn't offer to delete them).

I've googled around a bit and I can't find that there is a new place to clean up updates or anything. I've never ran one of my garbage cut/paste powershell scripts on this PC. Is this new behavior from disk cleanup intentional or is this more bullshit fallout from MS firing their QA?

Edit: Even after clicking "clean up system files" The option that is usually there to clean out windows updates isn't. It's just showing the same options as a regular user. Guess I'm going to wait for 1809 to re-release and do a clean re-install.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 19, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
fyi this is the bitching about m$ thread

might try https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651663 for slightly more serious responses

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
wow it sure sounds like that os is a pos

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

syscall girl posted:

fyi this is the bitching about m$ thread

might try https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651663 for slightly more serious responses

I'm just bitching. Like... It's one thing to just let poo poo build up. It's another to make it impossible to find w/o a third party tool.

I never thought I'd tell a non CJ to just install Linux, but here we are.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'm just bitching. Like... It's one thing to just let poo poo build up. It's another to make it impossible to find w/o a third party tool.

I never thought I'd tell a non CJ to just install Linux, but here we are.

maybe try using release software next time, iirc windows 10 is still in beta

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Lysidas posted:

wow it sure sounds like that os is a pos

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Sister has little dell netbook w/32gb emmc. No free space. No problem. Hmm, right click properties is only showing 10GB used. Disk cleanup cleans up maybe 200mb (she'd already ran it). Download third party tool to go exploring. Windows folder shows 3gb, actually has 8gb of trash in it that disk cleanup isn't seeing. 2GB of kernel dumps and 6gb(!) of old windows updates. Can't find a legitimate way to clean out the files so I just manually deleted them and hoped for the best (even ccleaner didn't offer to delete them).

I've googled around a bit and I can't find that there is a new place to clean up updates or anything. I've never ran one of my garbage cut/paste powershell scripts on this PC. Is this new behavior from disk cleanup intentional or is this more bullshit fallout from MS firing their QA?

Edit: Even after clicking "clean up system files" The option that is usually there to clean out windows updates isn't. It's just showing the same options as a regular user. Guess I'm going to wait for 1809 to re-release and do a clean re-install.

it's windows vista all over again. make an OS and have laptop manufacturers poo poo all over it great plan

my younger brother has the same issue. poo poo you'll need to janitor your install image if you want any space, and at that point you might as well spend more and get a better laptop, or spend your sisters time and make her use linux or something.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the options to clean up windows patches and crash dumps should show up when you run disk cleanup as administrator, and there should be a button in there as a non-admin to elevate the process. but maybe you're on the crippled version of windows 10?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

anthonypants posted:

the options to clean up windows patches and crash dumps should show up when you run disk cleanup as administrator, and there should be a button in there as a non-admin to elevate the process. but maybe you're on the crippled version of windows 10?

yeah it should be there except in certain conditions which nobody knows or understands and arent document when it isnt

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

yeah it should be there except in certain conditions which nobody knows or understands and arent document when it isnt

windows <3 Linux

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Boiled Water posted:

it's windows vista all over again. make an OS and have laptop manufacturers poo poo all over it great plan

my younger brother has the same issue. poo poo you'll need to janitor your install image if you want any space, and at that point you might as well spend more and get a better laptop, or spend your sisters time and make her use linux or something.
32gb laptops designed for the ~cloud~ are a curse. i had to CJ a family laptop because once a big update hits, windows won't stop shouting about needing 10gb, and the only way you're getting that is by removing everything, even the pagefile and hiberfile, and putting it all back when you're done. oh and the update will take forever since it has to be installed off a removable drive

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It was working fine until clean up system files stopped cleaning up system files.

SupSuper posted:

32gb laptops designed for the ~cloud~ are a curse. i had to CJ a family laptop because once a big update hits, windows won't stop shouting about needing 10gb, and the only way you're getting that is by removing everything, even the pagefile and hiberfile, and putting it all back when you're done. oh and the update will take forever since it has to be installed off a removable drive

I've just been making a usb-key for her whenever there is a fall or spring update and choosing keep files and settings. It takes like 30 minutes off a USB3 key.

Boiled Water posted:

spend more and get a better laptop

This very laptop is currently on sale for $140 at best buy. That's what she paid for it. I don't think you could pay less for a windows laptop.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

SYSV Fanfic posted:

This very laptop is currently on sale for $140 at best buy. That's what she paid for it. I don't think you could pay less for a windows laptop.

it's awesome that netbooks forever broke consumers brains as to how much a laptop should be and ruined wintel quality forever

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

graph posted:

it's awesome that netbooks forever broke consumers brains as to how much a laptop should be and ruined wintel quality forever

:yeshaha:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

graph posted:

laptops have always been mostly cheap feeling plastic toys

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
get a chomebook, op

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

graph posted:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

op buy her something better. it’s so cheap because it’s unusable garbage, a corporate decision to sell this poo poo to compete without thought or testing if it will actually work

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SYSV Fanfic posted:

It was working fine until clean up system files stopped cleaning up system files.

I've just been making a usb-key for her whenever there is a fall or spring update and choosing keep files and settings. It takes like 30 minutes off a USB3 key.

you can get surplus thinkpads for $20 to $60 bucks. an X201 will still work as a Windows laptop. a computer you fish out of e-waste might be better and more usable

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

get a chomebook, op

if i rest my hand in juuuust the wrong spot on mine it won't let me depress the touchpad.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
But is the x201 designed for the cloud? And by cloud I mean designed to be just lovely enough to qualify for MS's low tier license fee?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

President Beep posted:

if i rest my hand in juuuust the wrong spot on mine it won't let me depress the touchpad.

lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

it's already depressed from you touching it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

it's already depressed from you touching it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
even peter bright has noticed, microsoft be loving up

key takeaways:
- test your poo poo before you ship
- no really, loving implement tests
- seriously, loving test poo poo, don't just fob it off on the end users

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

even peter bright has noticed, microsoft be loving up

key takeaways:
- test your poo poo before you ship
- no really, loving implement tests
- seriously, loving test poo poo, don't just fob it off on the end users

quote:

This tells us some fundamental things about how Windows is being developed. Either tests do not exist at all for this code (and I've been told that yes, it's permitted to integrate code without tests, though I would hope this isn't the norm), or
oh, peter...........

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wow who could’ve foreseen this when they fired all their testers

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it's ok AI and blockchain will solve everything

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows is a legacy product and theyd ont really care about it anymore hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

quote:

Hello Rose.

Thank you for the suggestion. As per my first post, Local and Advance Folder Options were checked. Trust me when I say I wish one of those options worked.

I spoke with a MS Answer Desk tech yesterday. The first technician checked the basics, did a series of command prompts, went into the local app setting, deleted/replaced registry files with Win 8 data even though I'm running Win 10, etc. I lost contact with him on reboot. The PC acted like it was preparing for an update but froze.

I was connect to another tech. He said there might be a repair fee if he couldn't 'fix' the problem and my ticket had to be bump to another tech. I found that highly ironic all things considered.

Anyway, we had to start from scratch because I didn't receive a ticket number and I lost him too on another reboot failure.

With this new complication of my PC freezing on refresh I decided to restore the system back to factory settings which, of course, I can't do. I receive a message about the partitions sized being incorrect.

What I am going to do is confirm I have a good back up for my files and have my hard drive reformatted.

Both of the techs were courteous but this was not a good experience. The ticket is closed with an unresolved status.

K

Microsoft posted:

Resolved