Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Darts are lame and hell is other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well, today got dark.

Mom and I talk daily, especially now that I'm a few hundred miles away, even if it's just for a few minutes (gently caress you, I'm very much a momma's boy, as if you didn't know it). She texted "call me, I have news". That's.. never good.

My uncle (and godfather) is in late stage kidney failure. He's apparently "too old for a transplant" (early 80s, so that's very believable), and has decided against dialysis. He's decided to let nature take its course. Found out he and my aunt sold off almost all of their property after finding out (aside from where they actually live - they both owned the homes they grew up in, respectively, though one had burned down during a wildfire about a decade ago... so it was just land and a cast iron stove sitting in rubble).

On one hand, I very much understand why he's decided against treatment. His quality of life would be pretty poo poo, and at his age, would only be prolonging his life by a couple of years (and they wouldn't be comfortable years) - he's checked off dozens of bucketlists over his lifetime, and has lived a full and happy life, married to my mother's sister for 60ish years. On the other hand, I really don't want to lose another family member. I've lost tons of friends and family over the years. Sadly, the pace has been 1-2 people a year for a long time; it's been a year and a half since I lost anyone, so sadly, I'm overdue.

I guess the upside is for a switch, it's not drugs taking someone from my life, it's just... life ending on its own terms. He's content with nature taking its course.

I'm gonna go find a dark corner for a bit and chop some onions.

64bit_Dophins posted:

There is a very nice 1998 Prelude in my area with only 120k miles on it. Everything works too (supposedly). I'm gonna check it out but I really don't want to pay $4k for it.

Honestly, 4k is about what it takes to get a Honda that's barely above beater status, at least here. They hold their value way too loving well.

I'd be very concerned about the timing belt. They're due every 60k or 7 years on that engine. Might be able to haggle on that if they don't have proof it's been done.

Also, Honda did a lifetime warranty on the seat belts. They're power seatbelts, and dealers will push back like hell when you try to do a warranty claim on the power mechanism, but it's in the warranty booklet if you get it with the car.

Rhyno posted:

If anyone wants to chime in and mention things that are conventionally overlooked in home inspections please feel free. I'm going to assemble a list and hand it off to whomever we hire and say "plz do dis too."

Outdoor water spigots. Try them. See if they can be turned fully off again easily.

This is something every loving inspector has overlooked that my parents have used, and if it's a faucet that doesn't get used often, it is already hosed.

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm not sure edging that long is healthy....

So that's what's wrong with my dick.

keykey posted:

Holy crap, you drew the poo poo card on your HVAC. The only thing to poo poo out is the capacitor on my AC condenser twice over the past 15 years, which is :10bux: and a super quick and easy fix. Both HVAC units are from 1978.

How's that -5 SEER workin out for you?

Joking aside, I've lived in a house with late 70s central air. It was cold as gently caress, but the two units sucked down power big time. When the compressor locked up on one, it just kept buzzing until it got hot enough to start a fire (bunch of flammable poo poo piled up next to it :argh:). Guessing it was pulling just barely under the rated amperage of the breaker for it?

AFAIK the other unit is still chugging along - at least, it's visible from Google Street View, which was updated a year ago. 40 year old Payne.. but that unit only cooled the 4th bedroom and laundry room.

When the contractor came out to replace the dead one (granted, this was in 1994 or so), he took a literal axe to one of the lines. Who cares about recovering? Just heard a *THWAK* *HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS* and looked outside to see a huge cloud of refrigerant and the guy holding an axe.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Rhyno posted:

The basement is finished but needs paint and flooring. We're going to pull the molding and paint, then pull the carpet and install the laminate and then put the refinished molding back in.
While I'm doing that with my dudes the wife is gonna tackle the master bedroom and what will be her office. We're hoping to knock it all out in a few days and then get all the stuff moved into those rooms. Everything else can just sit until we have some time.

Hahahahaha a few days.

I got a BRAND NEW House handed to me, totally painted, no furnishings or flooring.

It took me 3 WEEKS before I could live in it. Just laying the 90m2 of laminate flooring took 3 of us 3 days by the time we pulled all the skirtings, laid the flooring, cut in around all the doors and corners, put the final coats of varnish on the skirtings and refitted them to the walls.

Painting alone is several days. They took about a week to fully paint the inside of this house, and they used a sprayer gun for the ceiling and all the walls are one colour.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was just us doing two rooms. I've painted before, we knocked out an entire house in a week by supplying beer and pizza to a few friends. But luke I said above, we are most likely going to have it professionally done. The only thing I will be doing is the molding and floor in the basement.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Get a moisture meter and check every square inch of that house.

- guy whose basement took on water

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

STR posted:

Well, today got dark.

Mom and I talk daily, especially now that I'm a few hundred miles away, even if it's just for a few minutes (gently caress you, I'm very much a momma's boy, as if you didn't know it). She texted "call me, I have news". That's.. never good.

My uncle (and godfather) is in late stage kidney failure. He's apparently "too old for a transplant" (early 80s, so that's very believable), and has decided against dialysis. He's decided to let nature take its course. Found out he and my aunt sold off almost all of their property after finding out (aside from where they actually live - they both owned the homes they grew up in, respectively, though one had burned down during a wildfire about a decade ago... so it was just land and a cast iron stove sitting in rubble).

On one hand, I very much understand why he's decided against treatment. His quality of life would be pretty poo poo, and at his age, would only be prolonging his life by a couple of years (and they wouldn't be comfortable years) - he's checked off dozens of bucketlists over his lifetime, and has lived a full and happy life, married to my mother's sister for 60ish years. On the other hand, I really don't want to lose another family member. I've lost tons of friends and family over the years. Sadly, the pace has been 1-2 people a year for a long time; it's been a year and a half since I lost anyone, so sadly, I'm overdue.

I guess the upside is for a switch, it's not drugs taking someone from my life, it's just... life ending on its own terms. He's content with nature taking its course.

Condolences. I just found out something similar day before yesterday.

(you can skip the rest)

My mom's oldest brother is apparently hospitalized and awaiting surgery to fix an issue he's been having with some broken vertebrae (he's in considerable pain apparently). But that's not the ultimate kicker... He's been dealing (poorly) with Lewy Body Dementia+Parkinsons. It's apparently fairly advanced enough that he's not recognizing his other sister when she visited this summer.

None of the siblings are handling it well, and are largely avoiding the whole situation (not to saying I've been doing anything about it either). He's got friends helping out local to him, which is awesome as they seem to be good people. All of the siblings have been kind of split for awhile due to some behavior of the brothers (mom has 2 brothers and a sister). Frankly, there's not much I could do anyways, he's a 24 hour drive away, and I'm working full-time and all the family stuff I have going on local to me would make it tough to contribute in anyway.

The whole things sucks. Feeling torn by the "He's family" mindset that is pushing me to try and help out some how, even if I can't. I'm also thinking about his kids that are my age and (probably) dealing with this on some level (though that's not evident by facebook. hah). It also surfaces some guilt I have over not helping/handling my grandfather (father's side) and his Alzheimers and related complications when I was late teens/early twenties rear end in a top hat.

Just weighing on my mind the past few days. Blah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my groomsmen fell and broke his goddamned femur last week. He's 51 and they're really worried about his ability to properly heal from such a bad break. Poor bastard.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

STR posted:

When the contractor came out to replace the dead one (granted, this was in 1994 or so), he took a literal axe to one of the lines. Who cares about recovering? Just heard a *THWAK* *HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS* and looked outside to see a huge cloud of refrigerant and the guy holding an axe.

BTW, this is known as "environmental" reclaim in the biz.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Condolences. I just found out something similar day before yesterday.

(you can skip the rest)

My mom's oldest brother is apparently hospitalized and awaiting surgery to fix an issue he's been having with some broken vertebrae (he's in considerable pain apparently). But that's not the ultimate kicker... He's been dealing (poorly) with Lewy Body Dementia+Parkinsons. It's apparently fairly advanced enough that he's not recognizing his other sister when she visited this summer.

None of the siblings are handling it well, and are largely avoiding the whole situation (not to saying I've been doing anything about it either). He's got friends helping out local to him, which is awesome as they seem to be good people. All of the siblings have been kind of split for awhile due to some behavior of the brothers (mom has 2 brothers and a sister). Frankly, there's not much I could do anyways, he's a 24 hour drive away, and I'm working full-time and all the family stuff I have going on local to me would make it tough to contribute in anyway.

The whole things sucks. Feeling torn by the "He's family" mindset that is pushing me to try and help out some how, even if I can't. I'm also thinking about his kids that are my age and (probably) dealing with this on some level (though that's not evident by facebook. hah). It also surfaces some guilt I have over not helping/handling my grandfather (father's side) and his Alzheimers and related complications when I was late teens/early twenties rear end in a top hat.

Just weighing on my mind the past few days. Blah.

Been through this before. The guilt sucks, but don't let it get to you. Reach out to the cousins your age, and just check in. Doesn't need to be much. Sometimes just a quick call/chat makes all the difference.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I got my new Hero 7 Black today and it is very neat. I will enjoy this gadget very much I think.

Let me know how you like it.

I did one search for a GoPro product maybe 2 years ago and I still get notifications from Chrome asking me if I'm still interested every couple of months.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ferremit posted:

Hahahahaha a few days.

I got a BRAND NEW House handed to me, totally painted, no furnishings or flooring.

It took me 3 WEEKS before I could live in it. Just laying the 90m2 of laminate flooring took 3 of us 3 days by the time we pulled all the skirtings, laid the flooring, cut in around all the doors and corners, put the final coats of varnish on the skirtings and refitted them to the walls.

Painting alone is several days. They took about a week to fully paint the inside of this house, and they used a sprayer gun for the ceiling and all the walls are one colour.

This. By about week 2 in the house you're going to experience a level of exhaustion you've never experienced before. I've been in my new condo since April and the list of "to-do" is long. And you never reach the end of the list.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

STR posted:

Well, today got dark.

That sucks, sorry man. I remember when my mom made the same decision to not want to keep going with treatments since her quality of life sucked so bad. I was the one that had to tell everyone else. The 8th was 14 years since she's been gone and my friend who I lost over the summer her birthday was Monday. Every day I think of something funny to text her and it hurts when I realise I can't and won't ever be able to again. Need some help with those onions?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

Well, today got dark.

Honestly, 4k is about what it takes to get a Honda that's barely above beater status, at least here. They hold their value way too loving well.

I'd be very concerned about the timing belt. They're due every 60k or 7 years on that engine. Might be able to haggle on that if they don't have proof it's been done.

Also, Honda did a lifetime warranty on the seat belts. They're power seatbelts, and dealers will push back like hell when you try to do a warranty claim on the power mechanism, but it's in the warranty booklet if you get it with the car.

Sorry to hear about your family fan. My Grandmother died to kidney failure this time last year and it was pretty hard to see. Not a great way to go out :(

Also as far as the Honda goes yeah they all seem to hold their value pretty well unfortunately.

I really need a new car though my Accord is really starting to lose compression now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Let me know how you like it.

I did one search for a GoPro product maybe 2 years ago and I still get notifications from Chrome asking me if I'm still interested every couple of months.

Getting to where I want to use Incognito mode always and everywhere.

What's hilarious is when I use my VPN and get regional/local ads from Colorado or wherever I happen to show up then.

Rhyno posted:

We potentially have a hookup on having the entire interior of the house painted. My wife's been in the rental industry for 6 years now and has made a ton of connections and their primary painter made an offer to do it. So that's a good option to have.

My wife works for a paint and drywall company.
...but they only do business and commercial. They refuse to do residential because of complexity, and the, erm, finicky nature of homeowners.
I may or may not have cracks in the wall that have been there for years, and I definitely don't have bamboo flooring that's been setting in boxes in the living room for a decade.
(Mainly because we've got so much crap that I don't have anywhere to move the poo poo that's in that room so I can put down the flooring and/or fix the drywall and paint. I've *almost* cleared out enough space in the garage to use temporarily. Finally.)

Goober Peas posted:

This. By about week 2 in the house you're going to experience a level of exhaustion you've never experienced before. I've been in my new condo since April and the list of "to-do" is long. And you never reach the end of the list.

Second Law of Thermodynamics: Entropy always increases.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Darchangel posted:

Getting to where I want to use Incognito mode always and everywhere.

What's hilarious is when I use my VPN and get regional/local ads from Colorado or wherever I happen to show up then.

Yeah it's pretty wild. They're getting really persistent and it bothers me.

These days you have to watch ads even when you pump gas...

What a sad world.

If anyone in the southeast/Atlanta area has a crappy beater car with a stick shift they would be willing to sell for $2500-$3000 please let me know.

My Honda is misfiring really really bad this time and I think it's the engine is not long for this world.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Yep, home ownership in a nutshell. I'm not working at the moment, and between the house and three cars I have been full time busy. Currently detailing my xB that i haven't touched in over 6 months and it's dirty as hell, the clay bar feels like it's rubbing on pavement the paint is so dirty. All day job for sure. Yesterday spent all day pruning all my palm trees and the cleanup associated with that. Thankfully my son is old enough to cut the grass now my back can't take it anymore :(

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Goober Peas posted:

10 years in and we still have unopened paint cans from when we built the house. The exterior doors and door jams are still primer and the basement stairway is still primer. Also haven’t painted the interior walls of the garage but at least I don’t have 10 year old paint cans sitting around for that one. We actually moved in with 1 room completely unfinished and within a few months we finished it but then we quit there. The to do list is so long...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Goober Peas posted:

I got handed the keys to my house in May '17 and the house still isn't ready for us to move in. Mind, we're doing a complete renovation but the amount of time wasted by builders is simply staggering

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah it's pretty wild. They're getting really persistent and it bothers me.

These days you have to watch ads even when you pump gas...

What a sad world.

If anyone in the southeast/Atlanta area has a crappy beater car with a stick shift they would be willing to sell for $2500-$3000 please let me know.

My Honda is misfiring really really bad this time and I think it's the engine is not long for this world.

One way flight to Seattle can't be that bad....

89 Honda prelude si 5speed Family owned since new excellent mpg A/C - $1950 (Seattle)

Also, why isn't everyone on here running Ad Block(or something like it) on their browsers? The biggest downside to using it is that it makes web browsing and watching youtube on my phone unbearable, since you can't run ad block there. It took me years to realize that youtube started playing ads during videos, since I don't see them.

The homeowner stuff gets even more fun after the kid shows up. I am working on building out what was my stepdads shop into my home office, but now that I have a baby, I have zero time to do anything. Unless shes asleep, but my office is directly underneath the nursery, so I can't make any noise. There are a ton of projects upstairs, but I am just limping everything along till we start the remodel in a couple months, since everything is getting gutted down to the studs. Its gonna suck having our house torn apart with a ~6 month old, but its not gonna get any easier as she gets older. And it will be worth it to finally have a kitchen thats not from the 70's and finally be rid of the last of the knob and tube wiring thats left in the house.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Oh man this is an awesome deal. I'm actually considering flying out to pick this thing up

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

I've been helping my mom look for a new vehicle for the past week, and we got dicked around haaaaard by the local kia dealer.

She was looking at the Niro, we asked for a basic one and they came back at almost $250 b/w doing that four square bullshit which works out to almost $45k, then they said misunderstood, and said they would price out the lower range one, and said they had one, and came back at ~$185bw and used a bunch of bullshit to basically price it over sticker. We should have walked away then but her vehicle died that morning. Then "we have one" turned in to "we have one in edmonton". She signed the papers and all that, and when delivery day came around it turned into "we already sold that vehicle to someone else, but we have one in Saskatchewan if you want to pay $800 to ship it here", and that's when we walked away.

Then we found out their "free oil changes" only come with paid service packages

Adjustment of front and rear brakes, Transmission flush every 36,000kms, Power steering flush every 2 years :jerkbag:

After all the vehicles we looked at, this is what she ended up picking, a midnight edition Colorado Z71. The chevy dealer was a complete 180 from Kia, completely transparent and honest, extremely helpful. Over $5000 off sticker, and really good financing, and the truck seems great.

I would have pushed her towards the Rav4 hybrid, but it was so drat uncomfortable. It and the CRV both have design elements on the dash that stick out into the knee room for a taller driver for seemingly no other reason except "gently caress you tall people". The mazdas too, the pedals are way too close to the driver. I liked the amount of space in the niro, and was really impressed with it as a vehicle, but god drat that dealer is garbage.

gently caress shifty as gently caress dealers, for wasting your time if nothing else, but I do like those new Colorados. Miles better than the old one.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I need lights to turn on with a timer and I'd prefer it was the lights in the ceiling, not a floor lamp. I don't want an Echo / Alexa / Google home device in my house, and I'm just renting. I was looking at some of those smart bulbs, then I'd need some sort of interface for them, but I'm open to suggestions. It's probably cheaper to just buy a cheap analog timer and a floor lamp, but if anyone has ideas, let me know.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

I need lights to turn on with a timer and I'd prefer it was the lights in the ceiling, not a floor lamp. I don't want an Echo / Alexa / Google home device in my house, and I'm just renting. I was looking at some of those smart bulbs, then I'd need some sort of interface for them, but I'm open to suggestions. It's probably cheaper to just buy a cheap analog timer and a floor lamp, but if anyone has ideas, let me know.

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Coralife-05152-Digital-Power-Center/dp/B000CMKHR2

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MomJeans420 posted:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=timer+light+switch

you can easily remove them when you leave.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Never mind the ylls get fit pledges, sounds like AI needs a DIY pledge

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

slurry_curry posted:

One way flight to Seattle can't be that bad....

89 Honda prelude si 5speed Family owned since new excellent mpg A/C - $1950 (Seattle)

Also, why isn't everyone on here running Ad Block(or something like it) on their browsers? The biggest downside to using it is that it makes web browsing and watching youtube on my phone unbearable, since you can't run ad block there. It took me years to realize that youtube started playing ads during videos, since I don't see them.

Because advertisers are getting smarter and have started implementing content paywalling if you use an ad-blocker. The ones that will get around that are generally beyond the average computer user to set up and maintain continually.

It's an interesting war, between the consumer wanting usability and the ad firms demanding impressions.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Yea, I run into sites from time to time that have the "please turn off your ad blocker" as well as pay walls, but the majority of the time they are garbage sites that are littered with lovely ads. Those warnings are usually a good sign its not worth going to the site at all. It can be a bit of a pain in the rear end to deal with(tho not nearly as annoying as my no script plugin), but well worth it to not be constantly spammed with ads everywhere. Hell, its probably worth it to just use on youtube.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have no issue with a minimal payment in exchage for accessing content, and I await that being the next interpretation of the paywall system. "Please commit to a 5 cent/pence to access this content without any ads". Yup, no worries, go right ahead.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Whoa. My first car was an 89 prelude with 4ws. This is super cool.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ads are a malware vector let aline advertisters have been bad actors forever so they can go gently caress off. NoScript and I have a addin that gives Adblocker dectors the go gently caress themselves ...

And yeah the sites that try to get you to turn off blockers are almost always crap or are bad actors themselves

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ads are a malware vector let aline advertisters have been bad actors forever so they can go gently caress off. NoScript and I have a addin that gives Adblocker dectors the go gently caress themselves ...

And yeah the sites that try to get you to turn off blockers are almost always crap or are bad actors themselves

Yeah, they've completely lost the loving plot. Playing noises and songs and having huge java or flash bullshit ads makes me want to see your company burn to the ground.

How do advertisers not realize how much people hate that poo poo, do they not use the internet themselves?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, even with pre approval lenders pretty much want everything about you going back to the third grade. Submitted the last documents today and we should be all good now.

Now for some sweet overtime to pay for this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Congrats man! Wait until you have to sign on the bottom line multiple times for the mortgage paperwork. That's when it really hit me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Congrats man! Wait until you have to sign on the bottom line multiple times for the mortgage paperwork. That's when it really hit me.

I refinanced after rates dropped / HARP got rid of the LTV ratio (buying in 2007 in Phoenix was a baaaaaaaaaaaad idea financially) and even then I think it was a solid half hour of turn the page, scribble my name, repeat.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This house chat is giving me that deep anxiety all over again. Ever since I started school again and cut back my hours, something as "small" as a surprise $1200 vet bill is a huge blow to my wallet instead of a speed bump like it should be

My dog ate nearly a pound of chocolate this morning when I was in class and is now doing an overnight at the vet. She's going to be fine, it wasn't anywhere near a lethal dose for her bulk, and the overnight just for IV fluids and observation

I can't even get upset about this though, I'm honestly impressed that she even got to the the chocolate in the first place. I was gone for 2 and a half hours and she knocked down a child gate, opened a door, tore apart a shipping package, and ate 6 and a half bars because she could smell the one opened bar of imported Norwegian chocolate in that room. Didn't touch any of the food in her bowl either, she knew there was better stuff to be had :arghfist::(

Hell of a nose on her

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Beverly Cleavage posted:

My grandmother on my mother's side had pretty advanced dementia when she finally passed. It was... not fun to deal with. She thought I was my uncle toward the end, before she stopped really talking (instead she would just single Christmas carols at the top of her lungs).

My grandfather on my dad's side got nailed with Alzheimer's in his 50s. I really don't have much in the way of memories of him, since he died when I was 3 or 4.

tl;dr I have a drat good chance of getting hit with Dementia/Alzheimer's, on both sides, genetically.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Goober Peas posted:

And you never reach the end of the list.

Word. This is the FOURTH list.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Oh. And Just as a massive kick in the balls. The loving tiida just blew its head gasket. I would fix it, but when a used motor is $375 and i have a gantry crane that can lift the entire loving car...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hopefully it's just the cooler weather, but I got a low coolant warning on Negative Ions today. Took about 2 cups to bring it back up to "max cold" (I had some leftover Prestone Dexcool already mixed with deionized water from when I changed the coolant on Saturd).

It also loving reeeeeeeeks of gas, bad enough that I'm getting pretty bad headaches while driving, even after a new OEM gas cap (and has gas dripping from around the gas tank). Looks like it's off to a dealer for the enhanced warranty bulletin about the plastic fuel lines doing what plastic does when it gets exposed to heat. Any goons have any Austin area Chevy dealers to recommend? Reddit recommends Autonation, Capitol (cringey as gently caress because all of their ads are "I'M A VETERAN AND ALL VETERANS ARE WELCOME!!!!11!1!), Covert (too drat far, and more of a truck dealer), and Hewlett (kinda far, but the body jewelry company I order from frequently is based there, so I'm out there once a month or so to pick up from their warehouse).

I had an Autonation Chevy dealer employee reach out to me on Reddit - said he wasn't in service, but I sent him the bulletin, and he said he was sure they could knock it out without much fuss. He was honest and said the service advisors might get pushy about critical stuff (well, my parking brake cable snapped today, and oh god let me tell you how fun that is in downtown and west Austin on a manual with really tall gearing.. it's on order tho).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Door Frame posted:

This house chat is giving me that deep anxiety all over again. Ever since I started school again and cut back my hours, something as "small" as a surprise $1200 vet bill is a huge blow to my wallet instead of a speed bump like it should be

My dog ate nearly a pound of chocolate this morning when I was in class and is now doing an overnight at the vet. She's going to be fine, it wasn't anywhere near a lethal dose for her bulk, and the overnight just for IV fluids and observation

I can't even get upset about this though, I'm honestly impressed that she even got to the the chocolate in the first place. I was gone for 2 and a half hours and she knocked down a child gate, opened a door, tore apart a shipping package, and ate 6 and a half bars because she could smell the one opened bar of imported Norwegian chocolate in that room. Didn't touch any of the food in her bowl either, she knew there was better stuff to be had :arghfist::(

Hell of a nose on her

Please pet dog

• Locked thread