Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

How much of road budgets are county? I always wonder about that when I cross from LA county into Orange county and the road gets so much better. On 5, you’d think that would all be state and federal funds so the county line wouldn’t make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
From what I understand Disney spends millions of dollars a year funding road projects in Anaheim/OC because they want to improve the experience of tourists.

I can't speak for other counties, but in mine we get surprisingly little county funding. Usually if we get something from the county, it's because they have a specific project they want us to address and they set aside the budget for it. Otherwise we get some funds from ridership fees, a ton from the state budget, and some from federal road programs. This is by the way why HOV lanes are more or less omnipresent: you get some hefty federal highway aid if you have them.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Any truth to this?
"Re: prop 6 they already implemented the taxes and are planning on raising them if it's voted no, but the 'infrastructure' they say they're using the money for has like 46% planned to go to CHP and fire department pensions instead."

No. SB1 makes it a constitutional amendment that the taxes raised by it go towards transportation projects. It also forced previous transportation funds borrowed by the general fund to be repaid.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

No. SB1 makes it a constitutional amendment that the taxes raised by it go towards transportation projects. It also forced previous transportation funds borrowed by the general fund to be repaid.

Can’t let facts get in the way of spiting Brown and the Dems. If we just sent th’ Messicuns back, the roads would clear right up and affordable housing would be abundant (I’ve seriously heard the argument that an undersupply of housing isn’t the problem, it’s an oversupply of immigrants, legal and otherwise).

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I work in the construction industry with a heavy focus on highway infrastructure. Very little county money goes into highway projects, with a majority of what does going towards bridges and grad separations crossing over highways, rather than projects on the highway themselves.

CalTrans projects are state/federal funded, with federal funding being very sparse since the last of the ARRA funded projects were completed several years ago.

My company and my competitors ramped up hiring and investment in equipment after the passing of SB1. It’s not an exaggeration to say that prop6 passing would result in a lot of lay-offs in the industry on top of a serious loss in union trade jobs that would have come to fruition over the next few years.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Can’t let facts get in the way of spiting Brown and the Dems. If we just sent th’ Messicuns back, the roads would clear right up and affordable housing would be abundant (I’ve seriously heard the argument that an undersupply of housing isn’t the problem, it’s an oversupply of immigrants, legal and otherwise).

They take the estimated number of undocumented immigrants in the state and just assume each individual lives in a detached single family home. Then they like to imagine how much more resources there would be if they all went away.

Because of course the same number of insufferable white people wouldn't immediately come stampeding into the state, right?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I’ll take undocumented folks over boomer zonies 🙀

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I work in the construction industry with a heavy focus on highway infrastructure. Very little county money goes into highway projects, with a majority of what does going towards bridges and grad separations crossing over highways, rather than projects on the highway themselves.

CalTrans projects are state/federal funded, with federal funding being very sparse since the last of the ARRA funded projects were completed several years ago.

My company and my competitors ramped up hiring and investment in equipment after the passing of SB1. It’s not an exaggeration to say that prop6 passing would result in a lot of lay-offs in the industry on top of a serious loss in union trade jobs that would have come to fruition over the next few years.

Caltrans is fast tracking hiring of a LOT of people too. It will be very very not pretty if that tax gets killed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ragnar34 posted:

As of polls taken in June, Julia Peacock is probably not beating Calvert in district 42. Would anyone like to tell me otherwise :ohdear:

I'm in that district and it's gonna be a real long shot. A few elections ago Calvert got like 75% of the vote. While the dem totals are going up every year, Calvert has the district on lock for the foreseeable future I'm afraid :(

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Any opinions on school superintendent? They both seem... the same..

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they are absolutely not the same. marshall tuck is a charter school hedge fund rear end in a top hat and thurmond was a social worker and is actually good

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 19, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah, most of the teachers I know back thurmond and marshall tuck seems like a slimy gently caress & Villaraigosa buddy.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

they are absolutely not the same. marshall tuck is a charter school hedge fund rear end in a top hat and thurmond was a social worker and is actually good

Glad that I made the right choice.

I honestly used the endorsements of various progressive groups in my area to help guide my votes for the more obscure races. The fact that these guys tend to have extremely generic websites and “platforms” don’t help. There are some websites that even identify which judges and local city council members deserve to get elected.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Trying to get my mail-in ballot filled out.
Does anyone have a little more info on Prop. 3? Most of the other bond issue propositions seems to have more support than this one and I'm curious as to why.
Also, who the gently caress are all these judges? How do I find out?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shear Modulus posted:

Can you elaborate at all on this? I know of thurmond because I work in west coco sometimes. Tuck just seems in favor of non profit charters and against for profit ones which doesn't seem like a hugely controversial thing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

StandardVC10 posted:

Trying to get my mail-in ballot filled out.
Does anyone have a little more info on Prop. 3? Most of the other bond issue propositions seems to have more support than this one and I'm curious as to why.
Also, who the gently caress are all these judges? How do I find out?

It's a bailout for agribusiness because a bunch of the money is earmarked to repair canal infrastructure that they themselves hosed up by over-extracting water from the central valley aquifer. More details here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Can you elaborate at all on this? I know of thurmond because I work in west coco sometimes. Tuck just seems in favor of non profit charters and against for profit ones which doesn't seem like a hugely controversial thing.

Charters are near-universally a terrible thing. They effectively defund public schools and in particular special education in public schools while benefiting only a privileged minority, while also bypassing education standards, often underperforming, and increasing racial segregation to boot. Oh, and union-busting.

Here's a rundown that is mostly about Pennsylvania's charters, but the points in the list are all applicable to some degree nationwide:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2014/05/20/a-dozen-problems-with-charter-schools

Here's another rundown of the damage charter schools are doing, with specific attention to CA's nonprofit charter system:
https://www.thenation.com/article/charter-schools-are-reshaping-americas-education-system-for-the-worse/

Nonprofit charters are perhaps marginally better than for-profit ones, but they still carry most of the problems described. The correct approach to fixing struggling public schools is actually fixing the struggling public schools.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the distinction between a nonprofit charter school and a for-profit charter school is mostly academic since there's never any restrictions on a nonprofit charter school paying exorbitant salaries to the managers, or huge consulting fees to whatever contractor, or renting building space at vastly above-market rates from companies owned by the management

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Prop 13 strikes again.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

What should I know about the two options for Lt. Governor?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
they both seem to suck so i just left it blank. one is a hillary staffer/fundraiser and the other is a state senator backed by real estate groups

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone know if LA DSA is doing another voter guide like they did for the primaries?

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Anyone know if LA DSA is doing another voter guide like they did for the primaries?

https://www.dsa-la.org/2018_general_election_voter_guide

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

For the Supreme/Appellate Court justices, I'm just gonna follow a simple pattern: If Schwarzenegger appointed them, I vote no. If Brown appointed them, I vote yes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It’s weird that the advertising between the education guys has turned so ugly. The primary difference between them is whether to slow down the pace of charter expansion.

Neither one seems to represent the worst aspects of either side.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Not really. Thurmond is the public school champion. Tuck is the candidate of billionaires and big money. He's raised $24 million from lobbyists and Thurmond is backed by all the major unions.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Thurmond isn’t trying to kill charters so much as pump the brakes on expansion, and Tuck isn’t pushing vouchers or whatever.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

For the Supreme/Appellate Court justices, I'm just gonna follow a simple pattern: If Schwarzenegger appointed them, I vote no. If Brown appointed them, I vote yes.

I did very much the same thing although I also googled around for recommendations from progressive voting guides. I took the opinions of websites like this into consideration since it was difficult to obtain meaningful information on those judges short of looking up their case histories, downloading a significant number of their decisions, and reading those docket items for myself. That’s way too time consuming, and I don’t want to pay ten cents a page for each of those documents.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Snipee posted:

I did very much the same thing although I also googled around for recommendations from progressive voting guides. I took the opinions of websites like this into consideration since it was difficult to obtain meaningful information on those judges short of looking up their case histories, downloading a significant number of their decisions, and reading those docket items for myself. That’s way too time consuming, and I don’t want to pay ten cents a page for each of those documents.

Coincidentially, following that advice gave me the exact same votes on every judge except for one, so I'd say you don't really need to look at more than who appointed them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Goddamn I love the DSA voter guide

quote:

Johnny Nalbandian (R)

OVERVIEW:

Johnny Nalbandian is a former “seafood magnate,” and his campaign website says that “Johnny loves capitalism.” His website has recipes for baked lobster tails and more.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

How could you leave out this part?

quote:

Nalbandian believes there’s a “war on law enforcement.” He asks to for you to Make the 28th District Awesome Again and invites “all aboard the Johnny Jet.” We ask you do not get on the Johnny Jet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FCKGW posted:

Goddamn I love the DSA voter guide

The main question this raises is: are his lobster recipes any good?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The main question this raises is: are his lobster recipes any good?

These are the kind of Town Hall questions people need to be asking! :colbert:

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
So I gotta ask any Santa Clara County goons, Hirokawa or Smith for sheriff? First instinct is neither because ACAB, but I figured maybe Hirokawa b/c they are both responsible for corrupt poo poo but removing the incumbent would reduce the power of the office just a little bit.

Seriously though, gently caress voting for sheriffs

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mitsuo posted:

So I gotta ask any Santa Clara County goons, Hirokawa or Smith for sheriff? First instinct is neither because ACAB, but I figured maybe Hirokawa b/c they are both responsible for corrupt poo poo but removing the incumbent would reduce the power of the office just a little bit.

Oh, you actually have someone challenging your incumbent sheriff? I just had to write in "no confidence" when shithole Livingston was my only choice.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mitsuo posted:

The DNC is backing Hirokawa.

Also:

The Mercury News posted:

Smith declined to be interviewed by our editorial board, saying she would only meet with us if The Mercury News retracted a story published last month that detailed 25-year-old charges of sexual harassment against her. The story only further confirms our thinking.

gently caress Mercury News and all but loving :lol:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sydin posted:

The DNC is backing Hirokawa.

Also:

gently caress Mercury News and all but loving :lol:

Yeah, but shes sexually harassing cops, sooo.... :shrug:

I'm voting Smith. Hirakawa was a part of that racist texting scandal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thanks for bringing that up, hadn't seen that yet. Fun stuff!

So our choices for sherriff are a corrupt racist/transphobic piece of poo poo, or a corrupt rapist. ACAB indeed.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Yeah, exactly. They're both so lovely, but I figured one has 20 years of incumbency and all the power accrued through that - endorsements by pretty much every other county sheriff, all the town mayors, etc.

Hirokawa coming in would have to start some of that over and have less power to abuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

In a similar vein I am wondering how people are voting for DA in Orange County? From what I can tell Todd Spitzer is trash, but Tony Rackauckas is worse. Anyone have any ideas of who to vote for? OC DSA is leaning to Spitzer but marginally.