Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Don’t start in audit and transfer to tax. Most big 4 firms will hold you back from promotions for a year if you do that. No reason to do an extra year in public if you can avoid it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

^Truth. A friend of mine tried the audit->tax transfer. He did a tax rotation for the October 15 busy season, and did well, but the managers and partners delayed talking about his permanent transfer date through early December. This led to the “well we really need your help in audit for this busy season since we can’t find a good replacement in time, let’s revisit this after filing” talking point from his audit partner. Anticipating this strategy, my friend then bounced to a tax position at a different firm, which he had lined up while waiting to hear back on the transfer discussion.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Hey, everybody. I’ve been reading this thread for a while and now that I’ve passed 3 parts and am waiting for my BEC results I figured I should finally post and ask some questions. (Questions I should have asked much earlier)

I’d like to work in tax with a public accounting firm and it’s my understanding that getting into tax can be somewhat competitive. How feasible would it be to start in audit and transfer over to tax after a while?

Related to the previous question, how important is it to have a master’s degree if you want to enter tax? I was able to sit for the CPA exam without getting a master’s due to having a ton of credits from my community college days, but I’m worried the lack of the degree on my resume will be a hindrance when looking for work in tax.

Unless you really really like checklists just go straight into tax. If you want to move into a very specific part of tax go to a big 4 or large regional firm. If you like more general practice /more small business /more consulting I would suggest moving to a local firm (read smaller). I did 1 year at a Big 4 in fed, got my license (with just a BS in Accounting), did 2 years at a large regional in SALT, and then have done 4 years at a local firm, the local firm for me has been the most fun/rewarding and with today's employment environment I am making more than my buddies at the large regional in a somewhat equivalent position.

A license trumps pretty much every other educational merit. A CPA is alot of overkill for tax work. Its basically just because clients like saying they have a CPA working on their stuff.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I appreciate it. Now I just have to wait for entry level positions to open up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'll just make a update on my situation with the problem employee because things have actually gone pretty well.

My boss had a meeting at corporate headquarters at the beginning of the week. While she was there, all the other managers told her that she really has to step up on this issue when she told the other managers about it over lunch. Apparently, according to the assistant, the other managers were shocked that she wasn't doing anything and said that she needed to toughen up and deal with it. They actually made jokes about the problem employee. They called the problem employee a baby and said that the problem employee should be put in timeout because the problem employee was acting like a baby. And kept saying that this behavior was unacceptable.

During the same week, the founder of the company decided to use our office for some of his work. My boss is actually an old friend of the founder. She literally said that she doesn't like managing and asked him to do the meeting for her because he's very good at talking to people.

So the founder of the company, this multi-national company, spoke to the problem employee for us. Since then she is acted a lot nicer, has not raised her voice or acted rude in any way, and is finally being nice. And, in turn, I've continue to act very nice and respectful to her. Because I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

But, yeah, they actually finally did step up and did something about it. I'm kind of surprised they got the founder of this Corporation to finally do the talk, even if it was just a matter of convenience.

But, yeah, having the founder tell her to stop being a jerk made it really sink in with her that this was serious and she's finally adjusted her behavior.

I also think she did not know that I was her boss. And I say that because, before I ever go out to buy lunch, I always ask anyone if they want anything. When I did that, I actually walked in on a conversation where she was telling my bosses assitant that she also had experience and asked if my boss knew that. It sounded a lot like someone kind of desperate and trying to say that she could be the manager, as if she finally just learned that she wasn't going to be the new manager.

And boy am I glad that she both learned this and is not the new manager. After all, if she thought this behavior was acceptable because she was in a position of power, then she is not the type of person who should have power because she abuses it immediately. Treating your co-workers and employees with respect should be a given. Being the boss is not an excuse to be a jerk and if you think that is then you don't deserve to be the boss.

So, in short, I have no problem staying here now. I'm actually liking the work atmosphere now and I can see myself saying here for the Long Haul.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I appreciate it. Now I just have to wait for entry level positions to open up.

As others have pointed out, being CPA eligible is more important than a masters. That said, a masters can get you back in the recruiting cycle if you miss out in undergrad. If you want to work for a large firm, understand that 90% or more of entry level hiring is done through (paid) internships. If you can, I highly recommend pursuing that route. Your career counseling center should have information on how it works at your school, but applications and selections are usually done far in advance.

Otherwise, get your resume out to as many places as possible and use your network, that's how I got my first job, it's just harder and you have to get used to rejection.

Good luck!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

SiGmA_X posted:

An analyst in another dept gave notice this week. My manager asked me if I am applying for it this morning. It would probably be a lateral position, but I may be able to leverage 10-15% more pay. I am a few % over base of my range, but I now have my CPA exams passed, which the company values quite a bit. A former coworker who was in the same position last summer got about a 12% raise. (My pay is higher than hers was before transfer so I expect they'll try to stiff me more.)

<<snip>>

I see everything as a reason to talk to the hiring manager Monday, and decide from there. I'm kind of the opinion that even if it's worse hours wise, and no improvement WFH/paperwise, it still seems like I should do it. Improving resume always is good... I'll also have my CPA in the next 4-6mo (have to write/submit application - I already have the required experience) and will either be looking up or outside the company. The extra experience seems like a plus any way I look at it.

Thread input welcome.
I interviewed with the manager and director (both of whom I know, I've worked with them for the last 1-2yrs since they joined the company - and I had been working 20-40hr/wk for the team in July, too) and we settled at a 7% pay increase. I'm at least in the top half of the pay range, and the experience is going to be well worth it. Like I said before, I'll have my CPA designation soon (lets say by EOY) and I will be on the hunt for more learning opportunities and money come next spring or early summer. Annual bonus happens in early March, so my target time to look around is March-ish. Providing the Company has a good year (we're on track for a very strong year right now), the bonus is worth 8~12% of my pay so leaving earlier would require a new company to pay me a good signing bonus. (And of course, as a good BFC spammer, I don't count on bonuses as part of my pay. I also cash it out in $$one dolla bills$$ and roll around in the found money. Duh.)

Question: Have any of you utilized Cognos Disclosure Management? Any pro tips? Best practices? Ways to make it faster? I've been using it for the last 3yrs but I had minimal input over ~how~ things were setup. New system "owners" (manager/director of new dept is new) and new users tasked with doing all the things in it (I'll be one of them, at least partially) should enable us to make some substantial changes. We're also private now so our GAAP financials are in the 20pg range vs 150pg. That said, Company wide, there are a fuckton of financial reporting Powerpoints and other fact sheets/reports produced, and nearly everything is done by hand in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Dollars come from Essbase cubes or Oracle tables - or should - but it's all compiled by hand and tied back (on paper) to source reports.

One of my tasks will be producing consolidated financial statistics. This takes maybe 30 reports and grabs a number from here and there - often initially rounded (to millions) by the other divisions, and re rounded by us for rolling/footing in consolidation. I think my best option for making this process more efficient - besides just using the drat Oracle data, which is what I'd prefer... - is having the division put CDM data tags into their report spreadsheets, and send the spreadsheets along with the official PDF's when they submit things to me. Then I can just import all of the spreadsheets monthly and everything will pull in via automagic...

If any of you have used CDM or similar for compiling a bunch of single reports into one, have you implemented digital review processes? If so, any pointers? I'm familiar with the workflow and audit trail functions (which we basically don't use because <3 paper!) but is there a way to add a comment from one cell/sentence/etc of a report and have it reference a PDF that you imported? I'm not really sure where I'm going here thought-wise. I'm going to stop rambling and go do some yard work.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
I'm 6 months in as a tax staff 1 at a smaller (~20 CPA) firm. While there are definite advantages (15 min commute, pay comparable to big4 plus OT, learning directly from partners/sr managers, 50-55 hrs max during busy season), the scope/size of the firm's clients means I'll probably be doing compliance work forever. I have friends from law school in various big4/mid tier specialty tax groups, and the work there seems marginally more interesting/varied, and with better potential exit ops. I have a JD, just finished my MAcc, and only need the work experience to get my CPA license.

Am I crazy for wanting to bounce on a good thing for a more niche practice? I made a couple contacts while recruiting last fall in various itax/r&d/SALT/transfer pricing groups, but none of them had any real insight on transitioning from core tax to a specialty group. Anyone have any experience doing so? Would a year of general compliance experience even translate into a specialty group, or am I looking at starting over as a staff 1 within that group?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

It sounds like you are in a pretty good position, but I understand wanting exposure to more interesting work (also maybe more money in the longer term).

I expect you would come in as an experienced associate given the JD and work experience. In my experience, you would be looking at two years to make senior, and another two or three to manager.

With your resume and background, I think you would be a strong candidate, especially in this job climate. Firms are desperate for qualified client service staff. I would definitely schedule an interview if your resume came across my desk.

I think you first need to figure out which specialty group you would be most interested in joining, then reach out through your network and recruiters to get your resume out there. Talking with your contacts who are working in these groups is probably the best way to figure where you would be the best fit.

I'm in international and I like it pretty well, I get to research and apply the law, write memos, and help my clients with planning and transactions. That said, compliance is always going to be part of the job and client service in public can be a real grind after a while.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

JohnnyTreachery posted:

I'm 6 months in as a tax staff 1 at a smaller (~20 CPA) firm. While there are definite advantages (15 min commute, pay comparable to big4 plus OT, learning directly from partners/sr managers, 50-55 hrs max during busy season), the scope/size of the firm's clients means I'll probably be doing compliance work forever. I have friends from law school in various big4/mid tier specialty tax groups, and the work there seems marginally more interesting/varied, and with better potential exit ops. I have a JD, just finished my MAcc, and only need the work experience to get my CPA license.

Am I crazy for wanting to bounce on a good thing for a more niche practice? I made a couple contacts while recruiting last fall in various itax/r&d/SALT/transfer pricing groups, but none of them had any real insight on transitioning from core tax to a specialty group. Anyone have any experience doing so? Would a year of general compliance experience even translate into a specialty group, or am I looking at starting over as a staff 1 within that group?

The SALT group i was at for a large regional wanted 2 year minimum in fed for the new hires. Also, six months in? I would wait. Your first three or four years at any firm where they limit client exposure will be pretty dull. If you are that interested go talk to whoever is above you and a decision maker and say you want more client interface, that is always a sure fire ticket to more interesting problems to solve. If you go into the niche groups at a big firm you will become more specialized and less general.

The fact that you are making OT, and have a 55 hour max busy season is insane. You got a pretty good thing going on with that don't take it for granted.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

JohnnyTreachery posted:

You get OT and practically part time hours (compared to a big4 first year)? Stick it out till you have your designation and maybe 2yrs total.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
Thanks for the input, guys. The plan was to stick around for at least a year and get the designation, yeah. My only hangup (besides the work) is that earning OT goes away once you get the designation, and that apparently comp isn't great. I got started at a much higher rate, such that I'm only getting slightly less than my senior. I guess if at the next comp review I'll just need to see if raises follow the higher starting trajectory or regress.

Is going from tiny firm to big4 an appreciably harder sell than, say, to BDO/RSM/GT or the rung below that (Crowe, Moss Adams, CohnReznick, ???) ?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Thanks for the input, guys. The plan was to stick around for at least a year and get the designation, yeah. My only hangup (besides the work) is that earning OT goes away once you get the designation, and that apparently comp isn't great. I got started at a much higher rate, such that I'm only getting slightly less than my senior. I guess if at the next comp review I'll just need to see if raises follow the higher starting trajectory or regress.

Is going from tiny firm to big4 an appreciably harder sell than, say, to BDO/RSM/GT or the rung below that (Crowe, Moss Adams, CohnReznick, ???) ?

From my buddies still at big 4's, they are pretty much desperate for any new blood. They tell me that recruiting and retention rates are much lower than even their abysmal projected rates. I would assume the interviews for 0-3 year hires goes like this.

Can you breathe and eat on your own?
Are you able to tax/account/audit?
Do you agree to work 100 hours a week during busy season and 50+ during off season?

CONGRATS YOU ARE HIRED!!!!!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

From my buddies still at big 4's, they are pretty much desperate for any new blood. They tell me that recruiting and retention rates are much lower than even their abysmal projected rates. I would assume the interviews for 0-3 year hires goes like this.

Can you breathe and eat on your own?
Are you able to tax/account/audit?
Do you agree to work 100 hours a week during busy season and 50+ during off season?

CONGRATS YOU ARE HIRED!!!!!

This is entirely dependent on which office/region you’re talking about. A lot of that breaks down to cost of living vs amount of industry in the area too.

So, like, San Francisco is basically in a cpa firm death spiral where cost of living is high and industry need is high so everyone leaves public quicker and the hours for remaining people go up up up. Of course cpa firms could pay more to try to fix that but lol yeah right. These places will take any warm bodies

Then there’s offices in lower cost of living areas with lower levels of industry but are still desirable, like say Austin. These are gonna be much harder to get in and probably have lower hour requirements. That last part depends heavily on you OMP though

Like most things in public this issue entirely depends on your office and client base.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The dysfunction that is my office continues.

Some good news first. My boss and that problem employee had a talk and they really happened to find common ground and we finally were able to bury the hatchet and I think everything is going to be good. Things were okay already, but I found out that she was unhappy with the first way it was handled and this new way seems to have left us both happy.

So my job is in a much better place.

On to the bad news. My boss's assistant thought it'd be a great idea to go into a private meeting with the boss, demand a 100% raise, and then tell the boss that she was looking for a new job and if she found one before busy season she was going to leave.

She hasn't been fired yet. And I don't think she's going to be. But she is going to eat crow for a while. Because my boss is legitimately offended. My boss feels like she did so much to help this person and she is just absolutely offended that she was threatened by her. Personally, I probably would have fired the assistant. I think she's safe but she's in a bad situation. She's also being very mean to everyone now. My boss says her days are numbered but I doubt it because my boss is too nice.

Also, the assistant is not actually looking for a new job. Because my boss kind of pushed her to quit and she kind of admitted she liked it here. But that she wasn't happy at the same time. Basically, my boss would be really happy if she quits because she doesn't want to fire her but assistant isn't quitting. The assistant knows that she has it pretty good. I mean she barely does any work and gets a decent paycheck. And she can get away with threatening her boss and not get fired. You don't get that anywhere else.

It has been interesting to see how my boss has changed her opinion on that assistant. Now the assistant is never helpful in her eyes and she is so furious at her. Not that I blame her. I mean, I would be mad too.

It's related to accounting because it's an accounting office, and the boss is assistant is supposed to basically just do all of the bosses tax return client since the boss is moving to a purely acquisition role. It's actually one of the weird things about the whole thing.

Apparently, the assitant was screaming about how she was ever going to grow her client base -- despite the fact that she knows that no one actually has clients because they all belong to the company -- when my boss reminded her that she was going to get all of my boss' clients from the Firm that my boss sold to the company. But then the assistant said that none of those clients were going to go to her, which is the worst thing she could have said cuz that means then she has no purpose.

The drama at this place is surreal. And apparently it existed before then because my boss was complaining about how her assistant and that problem employe turned her against the bookkeeper who quit and how she was glad that she didn't let them do that to me. Because I work across from my boss so she saw everything and realize that it's kind of them that's causing all these problems and not me or that bookkeeper who quit out of frustration.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, my employees are finally getting along. All that is going good.

Instead, I got a question on how to handle a sales tax situation. See, one of the clients bought in their work. We set it up. And I went through their records. In some quarters, they had non-taxable sales. They're a landscapper. So I called and asked what their breakdown was. They had NO IDEA what I was talking about. My predecessor handled this all by going to their business, but they gave me all their info. I looked over his previous numbers and the non-taxable sales were all kind of round like "30,000", "25,000", etc. I think they're estimates, but I'm not sure. The owner said he might come in Monday to discuss. The owner was very, very mad about all this and furious I was asking, but, really, what did he expect? It's a normal question. He goes anywhere else, they'll ask this. It's to his benefit to know what sales were repairs and what were capital improvements. And I even told him what jobs were what. He still didn't know.

I hope he does come in so we can speak in person. I would hate to lose him so I hope this doesn't piss him off. But, I don't have another choice, really. My predecessor is inaccessible for questioning till September 15th.

My employees can't help since my predecessor did all the sales tax himself and never let them do it before. I actually had to walk them through it a bit. So, they're not sure what happened. It's kind of racking my brain. I think they were estimates, but estimates are...iffy. They're either estimates or their something else they have on file I don't have access to.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
lol he’s doing fraud or else does lawnmowing at a church

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

lol he’s doing fraud or else does lawnmowing at a church

Not necessarily. If he is doing capital improvements -- installing a driveway, adding a water fixture, etc.: anything that adds permanent value to a house -- then that is a sale not subject to sales tax. Here is a page on it: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/capital_improvements.htm

So, it's not impossible for a landscaper to do capital improvements. The three rules are:
  • It substantially adds to the value of the real property, or appreciably prolongs the useful life of the real property.
  • It becomes part of the real property or is permanently affixed to the real property so that removal would cause material damage to the property or article itself.
  • It is intended to become a permanent installation.
The rules is repairs vs capital improvements.

Also, these judgements were done by my predecessor, not by the owner. So, the owner wouldn't be the one doing fraud. My predeccesor would go over and do the work at their business. It's possible they either discussed it or had deposit slips. My predecessor had his faults, but I don't think he'd lie. I mean, its possible and, if that's the case, I'll do it right going forward. But I need to see.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 8, 2018

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Sounds like your client doesn’t have a bookkeeper and thinks he is too busy to care. He could fire your firm and get another preparer that hand waves the estimates through.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I'm reminded of former clients who couldn't even attain the shoe box level of record keeping. Just some unsupported ten-key tapes and maybe a gas station receipt for a roofer with seven employees.

Godspeed, fellow accountants.

I'm still waiting on NASBA to either grant or deny my CPA license submitted five weeks ago. This is just like waiting for the exam scores.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Just found out I passed my final CPA exam, which is a huge relief. Finally done with that poo poo. All that's left is to actually get a drat job :lol:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Just found out I passed my final CPA exam, which is a huge relief. Finally done with that poo poo. All that's left is to actually get a drat job :lol:

Congrats!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Dude, legit, this is loving lit! I wish I was in that situation. Seriously, good work. It ain't easy.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Congrats! Still working on mine.

Think I'll get myself a new shirt to inspire me to study

Only registered members can see post attachments!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Congrats! It’s such a relief to be done with it and reclaim your evenings. It felt really good to know you never have to take that drat thing again.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Congrats!!

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Thanks, everyone!

Covok
May 27, 2013

I had a loving week.

So, first off, my predecessor forgot to include a 1099-R for 27,000 on someone's tax return. The woman gets a notice. She comes in. She is crazy. Certifiably crazy. Walks right into my office while I'm still working on a sales tax return. Literally inputting numbers and she just walks down the hallway and into my office. My receptionist doesn't even have time to respond. Then she gets mad at me for what my predeccesor did and demands stuff. But, I right her an abatement letter for the penalty, tell her to pay for the interest and tax owed and give her an envelope and instructions. Should be done, right?

No.

Her son-in-law starts calling and yelling at us. On and on. My boss is forced to agree to mail them a check for the interest to get this over with.

Should be done, right? No.

Then, he calls up and tries to make me call the IRS, even though I gave them an abatement letter, because "his accountant said I should." So, I basically stonewall him because, I mean, I'd need to get a 8821 signed and do all this and it's just unnecessary.

Should be done, right? No.

Then she comes back in and asks for the check. Even though we explicitly told her we were mailing it because the corporate office has to send it. She makes a big scene. And my boss has to deal with this crap and gets her out the door.

I hope it's done. She wasted too much of my time.

And that's not it. Remember that guy I mentioned who freaked out over the capital improvement question? He comes in asking for his last two ST-100s and last two NYS-45. So, I give it to him. Easy enough. But, he also asks for his EFTTPS and NYS login. I give him the former, but I don't have the later. He freaks out and calls my predecessor, since he apparently had his cellphone, who also tells him he doesn't have anything. So, I complete the Sales Tax return with everything taxable because the guy can't supply any non-taxable. I don't file it, I just tell him it's ready to be filled. He only owed $100 more than usual. Then, he freaks out again and demands to see it. And thinks I'm lying because he doesn't know that the number on Page 1 isn't the final bill. And then says he's leaving the firm.

Turns out this guy hadn't paid us IN TEN MONTHS and owed us a ton of money. My boss was like "Why did your predecessor even keep him? And he was going to his work site to do it on site for only $200 a month and wasn't even getting paid? Then he has the nerve to act this way? We need to get rid of these deadbeats." I'm glad we still have all his bookkeeping, records, and everything. Because he'll need it to do his 2018 return and we won't give him one paper until he pays us his bill. And I can't wait till he finds out that no one will do bookkeeping, sales tax, payroll, accounting advice, auditing, etc. on site for just $200 a month. Like, my predecessor's prices were stupid low.

The only thing I'm thankful about is, superficially, my boss seems to be on my side. Though, I can tell she thinks I didn't handle it well, even though she says otherwise.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 15, 2018

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I follow this thread very casually and have noticed it’s turned into less than 50% actual accounting career advice and more than 50% covok e/n.

Covok my dude, you seem like a nice guy so I’m gonna give you some advice. I’ll let the rest of the thread chime in on this as well, but imo it’s both immature and unprofessional for you to be sharing all of the day-to-day drama of your job on a semi-public forum. We all have drama in our jobs, but do you see anyone else posting about it like you do? There is a reason for that.

If I were your boss and I came across this thread, I would question your judgment and your ability to manage people and work in a mature, discreet and professional way. Especially since you work in client service! The fact that you think it’s ok to post these stories tells me you’re not ready for the position you’re in. Your posts make you come across as immature and in desperate need of validation for your day to day work, which is probably the same vibe you give off irl, which is why people around you don’t seem to respect you.

Learning to resolve work drama in a healthy way is super difficult, but imo it’s one of the things that defines quality upper-level management. Notice how some people plateau in lower level roles forever, while others move up quickly? It’s not generally their technical skills, but their ability to work with others smoothly. Imo this is something you need to figure out.

Not posting this to dunk on you or whatever, but I think if I were in your shoes I would need to hear it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

You're right about all of that, honestly. I'm sorry. I'll stop hijacking the thread.

pat_b
Feb 14, 2009
Fallen Rib
idk, as someone studying accounting I like hearing horror stories from the field. I'm enjoying it! Also this thread is very slow.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

This thread should be at least 80% bitching about our jobs or the cpa but I agree that Covok’s extremely detailed bitching is getting pretty tedious

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

This thread should be at least 95% bitching about our jobs or the cpa but I agree that Covok’s extremely detailed bitching is getting pretty tedious

Kilbas
Feb 1, 2011

Is bitching about MACC programs allowed too? Or are we just looking for bitching in the career itself?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Go for it chief. Most of us have been there.

Also: Any y’all use Alteryx?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Anything even accounting adjacent is fair game for bitching in this thread

I feel my last chance to leave public before yet another busy season slipping away. gently caress. For some reason I’m getting high ratings and people seem to think I’m doing a good job but it all feels like garbage and I want out. I know another two busy seasons would be ideal but I hate every day of it even in normal hours. gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress. I’m probably gonna stick around for a while longer

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Normal hours, lol.

Taking that financial reporting position I mentioned back in July was both a good and bad idea. The upside is I'm enjoying it a lot. And we've gone mostly paperless in the last 3mo which is a huge change. The downside is we have WAY more work than we can do in a week, and I am finding varying size of immaterial errors in everything I touch because of how crappy, complex, and manual the processes have been. I'm not the type to allow that or repeat something that doesn't work well, which isn't helping my hours. I feel increasing task time once while chopping the poo poo out of it in the future is well worth it. Especially if it saves me from having to plug something or have a reasonable sized (but immaterial) reconciling item.. Most of the errors I find are miscategorization between subs - the big subs are correct (and would be material) and one of the small subs is wrong. And no one noticed because the work papers were so complex, segmented and manual. Now they're nearly fully automated and uniform... Once and done.

/Rant; its time to grind again!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Thinking of going for an EA. Heard it's easy if you regularly prepare taxes and my firm will pay for it. Been lazy about the CPA and I really want a certification next to my name. It helps build client trust.

Does it do anything other than let you file a 2848 instead of a 8821?

Edit: lol I just saw the thread title

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 19, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Thinking of going for an EA. Heard it's easy if you regularly prepare taxes and my firm will pay for it. Been lazy about the CPA and I really want a certification next to my name. It helps build client trust.

Does it do anything other than let you file a 2848 instead of a 8821?

Edit: lol I just saw the thread title

It's more tax specific than a CPA and will let you represent clients in front of IRS Appeals but a CPA is still better career wise and has better recognition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

As an accountant (who doesn’t touch taxes, admittedly), this is the first time I’ve heard EA as anything other than “executive assistant.”