Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
also I hope you guys were hating on that guy in particular and not on neck training in general

having a strong neck is important in sports where your head might come off like boxing or mma or football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i know of a guy who was punched in the face by a german director a couple of times and as far as i know he's still doing okay

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

LordArgh posted:

i know of a guy who was punched in the face by a german director a couple of times and as far as i know he's still doing okay

lol his spine is absolutely not ok, he should have done neck harness work

Pimpy Longcockings
Oct 6, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
My nceck is super strong from constantly trying to suck my own dick.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dem big Russian squat thighs.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I still qualify as beefy don't worry.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

feelix posted:

also I hope you guys were hating on that guy in particular and not on neck training in general

having a strong neck is important in sports where your head might come off like boxing or mma or football

I found that video researching neck training. There's nothing wrong with it besides being hilarious, I actually did his "neck lifts" and "side neck lifts" (with the plate sat on the head) at the gym today. I'm getting interested in boxing so having an actual neck is important to me.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Neck day best day

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

feelix posted:

I was banned for calling lowtax transphobic but I reregged to explain that people stopped posting ITT because this thread got bad

Hating on a competition max effort lift because it wasn't pretty? S M G DH

Lol didn’t you use to be a mod

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I do these but w/my dick

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Chief McHeath posted:

Neck day best day

Dropsets for neck every loving day, now it looks like I've got an innertube around my head

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
my traps are disproportionally nuts and i just do shrugs w/ 45 plates AMRAP and a lot of upright rows

i just wanna look like a ninjas turtle or a minotaur tbh

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I haven't been able to lift for like two weeks now my work keeps making me travel this is bullshit.

I assume I have lost all gains and have to start as a beginner again now, correct?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

VorpalFish posted:

I haven't been able to lift for like two weeks now my work keeps making me travel this is bullshit.

I assume I have lost all gains and have to start as a beginner again now, correct?

you can still lift while traveling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-s4FpqE0Nw

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

feelix posted:

I was banned for calling lowtax transphobic but I reregged to explain that people stopped posting ITT because this thread got bad

wait, who got hated on? I don't recall that. I hope I wasn't being mean, I try not to be.

Paper Diamonds posted:

Lift big
Eat big
Rest big

Edit:

365 deadlift pr on Wednesday. 350 pr squat today. Both felt like I still had a little bit of juice left. Gonna keep to my program and be strong as heck slowly but surely

Congrats dude! 405 isn't too far off now. And nice squat. Mine is still around 290-300 but I'm catching it up.

Tried pause deadlifts tonight with ~75% for a couple of triples after my regular work sets. I think I suck poo poo at them. I couldn't make the pause smooth/consistent for poo poo and might have been too heavy anyway. Beware of chicken legs tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7VHEflb0VY

e: yeah, next time I'm going to start around 250 and lose the belt and work it up from there.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 20, 2018

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

ive been doing face pulls and my shoulder feels better

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Paper Diamonds posted:

365 deadlift pr on Wednesday. 350 pr squat today. Both felt like I still had a little bit of juice left. Gonna keep to my program and be strong as heck slowly but surely

I really want to test mine because I've only got the numbers that the FitNotes graphs spit out for my estimated 1RM. However, I've never attempted a serious test of my 1RM on a lift before. The graphs and data suggest I'm close to or right at a 2-3-4 plate 1RM on the big 3 lifts, which is my first major goal.

Is there a good rep scheme for warming up to and then testing rep maxes? Since I'm running 5/3/1 I figured I'd do it on the heavy week, if I do it at all - I'm still in the neighborhood of 7-9 reps on those 95% amrap sets so why not try for a true 1RM value.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ElectricSheep posted:

I really want to test mine because I've only got the numbers that the FitNotes graphs spit out for my estimated 1RM. However, I've never attempted a serious test of my 1RM on a lift before. The graphs and data suggest I'm close to or right at a 2-3-4 plate 1RM on the big 3 lifts, which is my first major goal.

Is there a good rep scheme for warming up to and then testing rep maxes? Since I'm running 5/3/1 I figured I'd do it on the heavy week, if I do it at all - I'm still in the neighborhood of 7-9 reps on those 95% amrap sets so why not try for a true 1RM value.

For a powerlifting meet i usually do something like 8-10 with just the bar, 5 @ 35%, 3 @ 50%, 2 @ 65%, 1 @ 75%, 1 @ 85% then do around 90% for your first 1RM test and go from there

Probably will work pretty good for testing your 1RMs & working up progressively heavier until you fail or whatever it is you want to do

Note that this is for squats, for bench I do less warmup sets (because the weight is lighter) and for deadlift even less than that (because i'm already plenty warm) but if you're just testing one lift that day you want to be thorough

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Another note is hitting a heavy single is a skill and if you've never done them before or don't do them often you'll probably not match your E1RM. So don't be disappointed if your 405 turns in out to be 395.

Also basing your target on a double or triple will be more accurate than of something higher and anything past eight isn't going to be anywhere close.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I do heavy singles pretty much every session. Volume is for cardio bunnies.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
shut the gently caress up

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
As soon as the weight gets heavy I just take everything down 20% again because whoa I'm not trying to be a hulkster here.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

feelix posted:

Cardio bunny spotted

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

feelix posted:

And here I had high hopes for the mgs thread.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thought this was just a no crossfit zone, didn't know cardio was also outlawed. We all have our different goals and areas we need to improve.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I'm the big fat guy pressing 30s with my feet up on the dumbbell rack.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Cardio bunny spotted

like everyone that isn't Rippetoe constantly says that the way to get the biggest and strongest is a shitload of volume (heavy volume but volume nonetheless). CWS is like the biggest proponent of this

This thread already hates Rippetoe and sucks Chad's dick so I don't really know what you guys' problem is

Probably the usual problem of sucking a fitness personality's dick without actually paying attention to any of their recommendations

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lmao if you follow fitness personalities

i mean holy poo poo lmao forever

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

feelix posted:

Probably the usual problem of sucking a fitness personality's dick without actually paying attention to any of their recommendations
Most of the things posted in this thread is silly bullshit. Sassassin pretty much only posts seriously when he's whining about hurting himself.

Diet Coke Can
Jul 25, 2004
I got second in a crossfit competition today

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chinatown posted:

lmao if you follow fitness personalities

i mean holy poo poo lmao forever
SWIPE UP AND PAY $20 FOR MY PROGRAM

I follow a bunch of them on instagram, and I only check my instagram at the gym. I wouldn't say I "follow" them, but seeing training footage from haack, williams, and others is cool. I couldn't tell you what they're doing other than lifting heavy rear end weights. I guess Blaine likes to go fishing, drink meat shakes, and chop his arm open.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I follow the life and teachings of Dom Mazetti

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i like to watch the crossfit games

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Red means stop.

loving synthol.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Holy poo poo look at that guy[!! Fuken awesomeness

I’m gonna try Synthol!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

dads friend steve posted:

I follow the life and teachings of Dom Mazetti

ah i see you like to update your youtube channel every """""week"""""

also i resent the notion that i suck CWS's dick

i would also suck max aita's

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

feelix posted:

Lmao sounds like you can only curl 30s

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guyver posted:

Most of the things posted in this thread is silly bullshit. Sassassin pretty much only posts seriously when he's whining about hurting himself.

poo poo, someone's finally figured me out.

feelix posted:

like everyone that isn't Rippetoe constantly says that the way to get the biggest and strongest is a shitload of volume (heavy volume but volume nonetheless). CWS is like the biggest proponent of this

This thread already hates Rippetoe and sucks Chad's dick so I don't really know what you guys' problem is

lol nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The furniture wasn't heavy enough to deadlift and I was told to leave the lobby after asking heavy people if I could squat them.