Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Thaddius the Large posted:

Fair, I know absolutely nothing about the funding, the big crux of the discussion I heard was that we can either offer funding specific for low-income housing to non-profits, which are private entities and what exactly “low-income” means is still undefined. Some were wanting to make the concession since such housing is so desperately needed, while others resent both that it’s going to private developers and that so much is left ambiguous. :shrug:

I think this is more about being able to encourage private developers more effectively to build projects since they'll now be able to get both federal tax credits AND local funding towards the project since really all low incoming housing is built in partnership these days. There are two different federal tax credit levels and it sounds like they use different levels of AMI and/or special needs to determine the level of tax credits they get. "Low-income" is probably federally defined and I think its 60% of AMI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

BrandorKP posted:

One could have a receipt for a trigger lock.

Every new gun comes with a locking mechanism of some kind, so there are a lot of people who own one or several locks with no paperwork of any kind. So either no receipt = no proof even if they did use it, OR receipt for a new firearm = receipt of a lock = proof even if they didn't use it and it's in a drawer or something. Either way, having to find out in court if your lock is going to count or not is extra stupid, and the authors of that garbage would consider that a feature, not a bug.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Thaddius the Large posted:

How it was explained to me, it basically boils down to get about 12,500 low income housing units built by private developers and nonprofits, or get 7,500 low income housing units built, so pick your poison on that.

Yeah... My gut feeling was that it probably creates more housing units now, and they're likely be guaranteed to be affordable for a while. But those arrangements are typically time boxed. Even more importantly to me though is these arrangements are probably ceding a stake in the underlying land to private interests, and a big part of why I think real public housing is important is not just the units that serve needs now, but also for banking plots of land in central areas that are only going to be more and more valuable in the future. This seems like one of those things that's good now for incumbent low income renters, but worse for coming generations and the public good generally.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Javid posted:

Every new gun comes with a locking mechanism of some kind, so there are a lot of people who own one or several locks with no paperwork of any kind. So either no receipt = no proof even if they did use it, OR receipt for a new firearm = receipt of a lock = proof even if they didn't use it and it's in a drawer or something. Either way, having to find out in court if your lock is going to count or not is extra stupid, and the authors of that garbage would consider that a feature, not a bug.

What would you consider a reasonable regulation around ensuring your gun is properly stored so as to not allow a prohibited person from getting it and using it unlawfully and doesn't rely on a persons word of honor?

super nailgun posted:

Yeah... My gut feeling was that it probably creates more housing units now, and they're likely be guaranteed to be affordable for a while. But those arrangements are typically time boxed. Even more importantly to me though is these arrangements are probably ceding a stake in the underlying land to private interests, and a big part of why I think real public housing is important is not just the units that serve needs now, but also for banking plots of land in central areas that are only going to be more and more valuable in the future. This seems like one of those things that's good now for incumbent low income renters, but worse for coming generations and the public good generally.

It really does come down to do you want x or y units of housing, unfortunately. I'm not sure about elsewhere but I think Seattle and maybe Washington requires any public land be sold at market value. We are legally prohibited from giving it away.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

What would you consider a reasonable regulation around ensuring your gun is properly stored so as to not allow a prohibited person from getting it and using it unlawfully and doesn't rely on a persons word of honor?

It really does come down to do you want x or y units of housing, unfortunately. I'm not sure about elsewhere but I think Seattle and maybe Washington requires any public land be sold at market value. We are legally prohibited from giving it away.

Well... x units of housing that are affordable for their full service life, and the land they sit on remains owned by the state/city and may be redeveloped in the public interest in the future to add more units, or y units that are going to be guaranteed to be affordable for 30 years or something, and after that ??? (luxury condos at market rate when the non-profit is broken down for parts in some shady way and sold off, is my cynical prediction for such things).

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

super nailgun posted:

Well... x units of housing that are affordable for their full service life, and the land they sit on remains owned by the state/city and may be redeveloped in the public interest in the future to add more units, or y units that are going to be guaranteed to be affordable for 30 years or something, and after that ??? (luxury condos at market rate when the non-profit is broken down for parts in some shady way and sold off, is my cynical prediction for such things).

30 years from now they'll have ideally been seized by the state after the owners were found.. lacking. I guess it really depends on how these things are structured. For instance, I own a home on a property owned by a land trust. I can do whatever I want to the house, but I can't just sell it for whatever I want because I'm technically leasing the land from the trust.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

"inside of a locked house in which no prohibited persons reside" springs to mind. Otherwise I'd rather NOT punish people for being the victim of a theft.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Javid posted:

"inside of a locked house in which no prohibited persons reside" springs to mind. Otherwise I'd rather NOT punish people for being the victim of a theft.

Seems like having a gun is a bad idea if someone can just steal it and use it without your permission.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Got my ballot in the mail today. It's really nice to fill this out in my home instead of having to leave the house.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

If they have a good, they don't have to worry about a theft; that's the whole point of the gun!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Javid posted:

This is what I get for trying to treat these concerns as genuine instead of paranoid anti government hysteria. This is why no one cares what pro gun people think. You can’t even be serious about it. Punishing people for being the victim of theft 🙄

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 20, 2018

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
It's only punishing victims of theft who fail to report being a victim of theft to a local law agency "within five days of the time the victim of the unlawful entry knew or reasonably should have known that the firearm had been taken."

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
It seems wrong to punish someone for not going to the police

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
im voting against the gun thing because letting the police decide who does/doesn't get to have funs is pretty loving stupid because its going to be brown people that doesn't get to have guns

edit - lol im leaving my typo because

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ElCondemn posted:

Seems like having a gun is a bad idea if someone can just steal it and use it without your permission.

Yeah, I’m not understanding why the rest of society has to suffer because someone was completely irresponsible with their firearms.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

In any case where the chief or sheriff of the local
jurisdiction, or the state pursuant to subsection (3)(b) of this
section, has reasonable grounds based on the following
circumstances: (a) Open criminal charges, (b) pending criminal
proceedings...an arrest for an offense
making a person ineligible under RCW 9.41.040

RCW 9.41.040 posted:

(i) After having previously been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity in this state or elsewhere of any felony not specifically listed as prohibiting firearm possession under subsection (1) of this section, or any of the following crimes when committed by one family or household member against another, committed on or after July 1, 1993: Assault in the fourth degree, coercion, stalking, reckless endangerment, criminal trespass in the first degree

Criminal trespass in the first degree posted:

(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building.
(2) Criminal trespass in the first degree is a gross misdemeanor.

Are you ready for a whole lot of protesters getting charged and arrested for criminal trespass because I am!

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
How’s I-1631 polling?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
def important for people especially POCs to have guns to defend themselves against cops, it's not like they'll be annihilated with overwhelming militarized force or if they manage to survive incarcerated for decades immediately afterward

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SousaphoneColossus posted:

def important for people especially POCs to have guns to defend themselves against cops, it's not like they'll be annihilated with overwhelming militarized force or if they manage to survive incarcerated for decades immediately afterward

For me its less about having guns and more about not letting the militarized fascists have even more control over our lives. At its core because it puts the onus on the police for deciding who gets to purchase the weapons we can pretty much say for sure that the largest group of people affected by this will be brown people. While white people who (I think, based on what research I've done) are the most likely to be an active shooter or kill themselves with a gun are probably going to be minimally affected by this. This bill is a really good example of why liberals(and democrats and centrists) are bad, they recognize that something is an issue like say police being racist shitheads, but then refuse to admit the reality of the situation and continue to support politicians, bills and initiatives that give the police more latitude over our lives.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Nucleic Acids posted:

How’s I-1631 polling?

crosscut's poll from a couple weeks ago showed support @ 50%, against @ 36%, and undecided @ 14%

https://crosscut.com/2018/10/poll-nations-first-carbon-fee-leading-among-voters

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The Seattle Times endorsed Dipshit Baby.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Trigger locks are dumb.

Stop trusting the police to be fair and objective.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

porkface posted:

Trigger locks are dumb.

Stop trusting the police to be fair and objective.

"Stop trusting the police" was enough

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Stop having police is more my jam.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Stop police

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Funny how when you ask gun owners to be loving responsible for their death toys they suddenly cone out of the woodwork to make society responsible for their own fuckups.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Solkanar512 posted:

Funny how when you ask gun owners to be loving responsible for their death toys they suddenly cone out of the woodwork to make society responsible for their own fuckups.

shut up cop

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't trust the police, but I also don't trust most gun owners.

If your argument is "this will put police and gun owners at odds with each other!" I say...

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I'm fine having police. The mistake was giving them guns.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Looks like the carbon tax concern trolls on the Times editorial board are at it again https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/editorials/the-seattle-times-recommends-no-on-initiative-1631/

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

porkface posted:

I'm fine having police. The mistake was giving them guns.

Same. No guns for your average police officer and lots of gun safety regulations for everyone sounds good.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

Looks like the carbon tax concern trolls on the Times editorial board are at it again https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/editorials/the-seattle-times-recommends-no-on-initiative-1631/

Jesus loving Christ.

The biggest problem with I-1631 is that the fee is about a thousandth of what it needs to be.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lock up your guns before some toddler accidentally shoots their sibling.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Neolibs in this thread sure do love to other gun owners instead of seeing them as fellow workers lol

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

im on the net me boys posted:

Neolibs in this thread sure do love to other gun owners instead of seeing them as fellow workers lol

“I wasn’t prepared for characters such as Lemon Johnson, a former member of the Communist-led Share Croppers Union. In December 1986, I visited Johnson at his home in rural Montgomery County, which I described in my journal as “a tiny, run-down shack with battered wooden walls, a rusted tin roof that had begun to cave in, and a porch stocked with three rickety chairs.” He fed me a huge lunch of collard greens, beans, Wonder Bread, fried chicken, and a slice of cake. We ate outside and talked for a while; when it became unbearably cold, we moved inside. I sat on his bed as he slouched in a wooden chair next to me. A faded picture of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was tacked to the wall above his head. He told me stories about the 1935 cotton pickers’ strike, Stalin’s pledge to send troops to Mobile to help black sharecroppers if things got out of hand, and the night a well-armed group of women set out to avenge their comrades who had been beaten or killed during the strike. When I asked Mr. Johnson how the union succeeded in winning some of their demands, without the slightest hesitation he reached into the drawer of his nightstand and pulled out a dog-eared copy of V. I. Lenin’s What Is to Be Done and a box of shotgun shells, set both firmly on the bed next to me, and said, “Right thar, theory and practice. That’s how we did it. Theory and practice.“

Hammer and Hoe:
Alabama Communists during the Great Depression
by Robin D. G. Kelley

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

What I don't get is why people think this argument makes "liberals" feel bad. Why are liberals supposed to be "inclusive" of people who are dangerous, sexist, racist, or whatever other position that sucks? Is it because the "right" think we're saying and doing what we're saying and doing as some kind of dig at them? That we're opposing them because we see ourselves as morally superior to them?

It's just loving practical to not want people to be dying in the streets. It's practical to not want our friends, family and even ourselves oppressed or put in danger.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

ElCondemn posted:

What I don't get is why people think this argument makes "liberals" feel bad. Why are liberals supposed to be "inclusive" of people who are dangerous, sexist, racist, or whatever other position that sucks? Is it because the "right" think we're saying and doing what we're saying and doing as some kind of dig at them? That we're opposing them because we see ourselves as morally superior to them?

It's just loving practical to not want people to be dying in the streets. It's practical to not want our friends, family and even ourselves oppressed or put in danger.

Neoliberals love to be the only ones who can define "practical" despite poc and the poor having defended themselves against white supremacists and the police with their firearms

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

It's really not that hard folks if you support gun control you're literally letting racist cops harm people of color. That's it. Nothing will change that.
e: And queer people too, can't forget us

im on the net me boys fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

It's really not that hard folks if you support gun control you're literally letting racist cops harm people of color. That's it. Nothing will change that.
But if you want poc to have guns [or resist harassment/violence or perform direct action], you're just trying to get poc murdered by cops :qqsay: