Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

smooth jazz posted:

The best part is the uninterrupted line around the car that makes the a pillar, quarter panel and hood gap practically seamless.

Yes. I think when people say these designs are boring it’s because they want a car to look like something more than a car.

For me the recent design language of Audi and VW look like highly streamlined designs of their old ABC box designs. In many ways it’s like how the business suit hasn’t changed very much since the 60s. Some designs are classic and timeless. They may be boring but they still exist and sell today.

I bought my Jetta because I wanted a car. It may not be exciting but it feels put together and it feels like it will age well. Compare that to the amorphous jelly beans the Japanese and Koreans are selling. They seem exciting and headturning but within 4 years it feels like you drank too many non alcoholic pina coladas and now you have a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

VWs really do age a lot better than the Japanese brands in terms of style, especially Toyotas. At least the Civic had its weird space pod thing going for it until the current generation, and the Accord was a pretty good looking three box sedan until the current generation.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wheeee posted:

VWs really do age a lot better than the Japanese brands in terms of style, especially Toyotas. At least the Civic had its weird space pod thing going for it until the current generation, and the Accord was a pretty good looking three box sedan until the current generation.

I dunno about that, the Mark 5 Golf is looking really dated now next to an Auris or Mazda3 or whatever from the same period.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hey look, Mitsubishi's bringing the EVO back to the US

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

Hey look, Mitsubishi's bringing the EVO back to the US

Imagine telling some Fast & Furious superfan from 2001 that in 2018 we'd have a rear-wheel drive coupe with independent rear suspension, either a turbo 4 or a choice of V8s, starting at $26k, with absurd aftermarket mods and tweaks, easy to get parts, and finally that it's a Mustang.

(Don't tell them it's 3500 lbs.)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Imagine telling some Fast & Furious superfan from 2001 that in 2018 we'd have a rear-wheel drive coupe with independent rear suspension, either a turbo 4 or a choice of V8s, starting at $26k, with absurd aftermarket mods and tweaks, easy to get parts, and finally that it's a Mustang.

(Don't tell them it's 3500 lbs.)

Well do, then mention that it's so safe that 2001 fatal accidents are 2018 fender benders.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Saddamnit posted:

Where are these indications coming from? Everything I've read about the car has been very positive.

Take it for what it's worth but, https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

Volvo slummin' it at the bottom of the list with the likes of Dodge and Lincoln. Even Chrysler and Volkswagen scored substantially better. And the least reliable model listed is their new flagship XC90, while the most reliable is the (at time of writing) old pre-Geely V60.

Edit: to be clear I'm not a Volvo hater, I actually desperately wish they'd get their act together because their design direction is killer

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 19, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Guinness posted:

Take it for what it's worth but, https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

Volvo slummin' it at the bottom of the list with the likes of Dodge and Lincoln. Even Chrysler and Volkswagen scored substantially better. And the least reliable model listed is their new flagship XC90, while the most reliable is the (at time of writing) old pre-Geely V60.
Reading the full CR review of the XC90 the reliability seems pretty dire; the only vehicle in its class ranked below it is the Tesla Model X.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I saw a new Lincoln Continental yesterday in the flesh. It's a pretty boring and nondescript car, so it's pretty good. The thing I can't really decide whether I like or not is the way they made the door handles part of the window chrome beltline.

I think it's a nice departure from the norm, but it just looks kinda strange. Also no suicide doors kinda makes it weak.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm the white car with the silver accents and also chrome accents because I have no loving clue what sort of look I'm going for. That's not even starting on the detail on the mirror and door handle.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm the white car with the silver accents and also chrome accents because I have no loving clue what sort of look I'm going for. That's not even starting on the detail on the mirror and door handle.

It looks like a plane wing on which the mirror kind of sits awkwardly

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CornHolio posted:

It looks like a plane wing on which the mirror kind of sits awkwardly

Yup, that was my first thought. Thing is, somebody sat there and 'designed' this and then a committee signed off on it and it went into production. The door handle just looks like a handle from a kid's toy. In a world where cars have had inset door handles for years and cars are starting to come with hidden door handles, who thought sticking a loving grab hoop on a car was a good idea?? :lol:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's a car for being driven in.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yup, that was my first thought. Thing is, somebody sat there and 'designed' this and then a committee signed off on it and it went into production. The door handle just looks like a handle from a kid's toy. In a world where cars have had inset door handles for years and cars are starting to come with hidden door handles, who thought sticking a loving grab hoop on a car was a good idea?? :lol:

I mean, I appreciate it for being different at least. I'd have to see one in person to determine if I really think it's OK or not.

I think the mirror looks way worse than the door handle.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

...it's a sub $50k car, not a Rolls!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Livery companies, old bean.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
There is literally nothing more in the world I would like than for this to be true and be available in Canada :suicide:

Rumor: 2020 Ford Bronco To Get A 7-Speed Manual Transmission

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

IKillForPie posted:

There is literally nothing more in the world I would like than for this to be true and be available in Canada :suicide:

I feel like I'm looking at some sort of optical illusion

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Maybe if we structure all luxury cars and SUVs like this, we can heal the divide in our nation. Today, the working class hate the rich. If they drive cars like that, everyone will hate the rich, including themselves.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

People like Apple, right? Make it look like that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wheeee posted:

Well do, then mention that it's so safe that 2001 fatal accidents are 2018 fender benders.

The current Mustang totally flunked the NCAP tests though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

The current Mustang totally flunked the NCAP tests though.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/mustang-2-door-coupe/2018

but it has fiddyleven airbags :shrug:

Also, ford has the tools coming to fix the continental. 7.3 liter V8, 10 speed auto, RWD CD6 platform, suicide doors. Done.

the 7.3 is probably the right engine for that 7 speed stick bronco, as well.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

IKillForPie posted:

That's a pretty Lada Niva front end.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Russian Bear posted:

That's a pretty Lada Niva front end.

I was thinking Lada Niva too before I look at the badge.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

IKillForPie posted:

yet they refuse to give the mustang a manual option.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
What the hell are you talking about?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Q_res posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/reports-now-say-no-manual-transmission-for-2019-ford-shelby-mustang-gt500-ar182368.html

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Oh okay, I thought you might be referencing that, but since you said "refuses to offer a manual option on the Mustang" I thought maybe you were deeply confused about something.

This new gearbox isn't rated highly enough to handle the GT500 either, though. Maybe there's a reason for the DCT only, like a trick AWD system.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 20, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

even though 40% of new mustangs are sold with manuals i could see ford america ceo saying we don't need them on the entire model like we don't need the focus anymore.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

BloodBag posted:

I saw a new Lincoln Continental yesterday in the flesh. It's a pretty boring and nondescript car, so it's pretty good. The thing I can't really decide whether I like or not is the way they made the door handles part of the window chrome beltline.

I think it's a nice departure from the norm, but it just looks kinda strange. Also no suicide doors kinda makes it weak.

This must have been inspired the 1961 Thunderbird, it did it better, of course. The beltline chrome projected out far enough that it could go straight through the handle without curving out.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

wargames posted:

even though 40% of new mustangs are sold with manuals i could see ford america ceo saying we don't need them on the entire model like we don't need the focus anymore.

The GT350 and GT500 probably don't move in enough volume to justify having both a high-performance automatic and a fun manual transmission.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Much as I love manuals, with cars aimed so clearly at the track, I understand the logic of fitting only a dual-clutch automatic. That would cover the 500. The 350 is more of a split street/track car, so I hope it keeps the manual. Given how quickly the GT is closing on it, I can also imagine it going away instead.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Much as I love manuals, with cars aimed so clearly at the track, I understand the logic of fitting only a dual-clutch automatic. That would cover the 500. The 350 is more of a split street/track car, so I hope it keeps the manual. Given how quickly the GT is closing on it, I can also imagine it going away instead.

Thats is meaningless for the overwhelming majority of people who dont have enough skill to handle a 450+hp car, and then only a minority of that remainder would ever track with regularity.

Ita not about track times (well it partially is) but about what is going to sell, and expensive manuals dont sell.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Those same people that can't handle a 450+ HP car on the track also can't handle a 450+ HP manual car on the road. When your car can chew through the first two gears in under 4 seconds, you spend more time shifting than you do accelerating and nobody thinks that's fun. So people will rush through the gears faster than their skill level can handle and probably end up doing something bad to upset the car.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

"Track use" is the cliche that lets me ingest the rumored specs for the GT500 without drowning in my own spite and contempt for people who shell out significant amounts of money for insane speed but who can't be bothered to manage a clutch. If you want a status symbol for your drive to work, buy a Lexus. Added benefit: if you're driving a Lexus, that's one less Lexus on the road that you have to look at.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone who would buy a manual faster than a Mustang GT is just as guilty of wasting money on a status symbol as those people in a Lexus. Except it's worse because they're the kind of insufferable elitist that thinks fast cars need to be hard so only people they deem worthy can drive them.

I say this as someone who dailies and tracks a manual.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A manual clutch makes a car slower than two clutches and a computer. If the goal of the car is to be fast with no compromises, then I see nothing at all wrong with dropping a manual clutch option. Rowing gears is an obsolete skill.

Cars that do away with manuals in favor of a hydraulic planetary automatic can go die in a fire. I’m looking at you, BMW.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

Anyone who would buy a manual faster than a Mustang GT is just as guilty of wasting money on a status symbol as those people in a Lexus. Except it's worse because they're the kind of insufferable elitist that thinks fast cars need to be hard so only people they deem worthy can drive them.

I say this as someone who dailies and tracks a manual.

"I got the manual so I'd be more engaged in the sport of driving" - elitist

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Zorak of Michigan posted:

"Track use" is the cliche that lets me ingest the rumored specs for the GT500 without drowning in my own spite and contempt for people who shell out significant amounts of money for insane speed but who can't be bothered to manage a clutch. If you want a status symbol for your drive to work, buy a Lexus. Added benefit: if you're driving a Lexus, that's one less Lexus on the road that you have to look at.

Spoken like someone who's never driven a fast car before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I mean, maybe, depending on how you define fast. I went from owning a WRX to an S4, and after a couple years with the S4, I concluded that it has just a little more power than I can really use on the road. It's never bitten me, but it's definitely at the point where I have to consciously rein it in. I can't even imagine what 700+ hp would be like to control on public roads, but I know I wouldn't pay a dollar extra for more power than I have unless I was going to be driving on a track. So, that's why I see track use as the only sane use case for the GT500. Track use is the best possible reason to fit a DSG, so that is also cool. All the guys who buy GT500s to cruise around are wasting money, but that's their business. Any of them who complain that the transmission jerks at low speed and whine for a torque converter will be up against the wall when I come to power.