Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cactrot posted:

Everyone loves goyf reprints, so that decision was incredibly weird to me. They could have just plunked in vengevine instead and no one (or at least fewer people) would have batted an eye.

i think that tree of redemption was the only green mythic they could drop in without changing the numbers, which (for some unknown reason) they didn't want to change

but i cannot for the life of me figure out why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Out of curiosity I read one of the articles about timmies and johnnies etc and it said that call of the herd was a good card. A 3/3 for 4 with flashback doesn't seem that great, espeically compared to call of the conclave or advent of the wurm. Am I just looking at it through a modern lens and it was great in legacy?

we're pretty spoiled by creature quality nowadays. that card was nutso in its standard format.

you can still play it in modern. It pops up in Polymorph decks every now and again

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

teddust posted:

I don't think they should stop printing Masters sets for a while. I think they should print them once a year like they were doing from Modern Masters 15 on until they randomly decided to throw out two mediocre Masters sets less than 6 months apart rather than stick to the schedule they had established.

It should be every two years, like it originally was. Dropping 3 sets in 1 year was dumb as hell and neither iconic or m25 was any good.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

we're pretty spoiled by creature quality nowadays. that card was nutso in its standard format.

you can still play it in modern. It pops up in Polymorph decks every now and again

It wasn’t embarrassing in power cube several years ago either but, for better or worse, cube has followed the general magic trend of card advantage mattering less and the nebulous tempo mattering more.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
nice, my Maverick pieces showed up today.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Miracles is so fuckin fun right now

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Walked posted:

What version are you playing? The vibe I get is that AK builds are better against Grixis but I still see lots of predict/portent lists.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Walked posted:

Is miracles back to good again? I haven't touched legacy at all really since the top ban.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Is miracles back to good again? I haven't touched legacy at all really since the top ban.

Yes. 2nd highest meta share on goldfish @ 8%, 8% on mtgtop8, frequently showing up in paper T8s.

What did it's share peak at right before the top ban, 25% or something dumb? 8% seems fine to me, 25 is not.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Yes. 2nd highest meta share on goldfish @ 8%, 8% on mtgtop8, frequently showing up in paper T8s.

What did it's share peak at right before the top ban, 25% or something dumb? 8% seems fine to me, 25 is not.

It was maybe low 20s? I kinda ragequit the format after the ban though. Too long playing it even before it became super popular. It just seemed like I had wasted so much time learning to play quickly and well for them to just delete it as it was.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

What version are you playing? The vibe I get is that AK builds are better against Grixis but I still see lots of predict/portent lists.
I'm on an AK build. It's just so much smoother than predict/portent.

Generally speaking:
3 Terminus / 1 Verdict
2 Jace (sometimes 3) / 1 Teferi
2 - 3 Mentor
2 Back to Basics (main; 1x side)
No counterbalance main (2x side)

Deck runs incredibly smooth and performs great. It's a bit of an oddball build but I love it.
I waffle over running the red splash because I have sweet beta Volcs but I personally feel that UW is a little better right now.

L0cke17 posted:

Yeah its real good. Back to Basics is great; and Accumulated Knowledge is a turbocharger with DRS gone.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Walked posted:

I waffle over running the red splash because I have sweet beta Volcs but I personally feel that UW is a little better right now.

I played in DC a couple weeks ago against someone who had spent $10,000 each on two 8.5 graded beta volcs, and then cracked the cases open to play with the cards in ANT :-P

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I played in DC a couple weeks ago against someone who had spent $10,000 each on two 8.5 graded beta volcs, and then cracked the cases open to play with the cards in ANT :-P

I live in the DC area. I can tell you I did not spend that kind of coin on beta volcs

I got rather damaged ones I had restored by Scourge who does loving out of this world work

But I think I know the guy you played. Some people got fat stacks I guess :shrug:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Walked posted:

But I think I know the guy you played. Some people got fat stacks I guess :shrug:

He was a super nice guy, a great opponent, and pretty humble about his incredibly pimp deck. He told me he bought back into legacy a couple years ago and built a bunch of decks, then after prices ballooned this year, sold most of it to foil & pimp ANT. Sounded like he's in tech management at a huge and very well known tech empire, so yea in that area I would not be shocked if it's a $300K a year job, and if I had that kind of money I might be buying beta volcs too because at some point shoving money into a 401(k) might stop feeling satisfying? It was mainly shocking to me because that deck is worth more than most families see in a year around here (rural Vermont). I got an equal culture shock when I watched some young guys in Georgetown bump the curb trying to parallel park a porsche.

It actually made me a little sad to talk to him so much and then leave and fly home the next day; I don't miss many things about that area, but random encounters with new-to-me cool-seeming MTG players is one of them, our playerbase up here is much more predictable, mostly a lot younger, and a lot smaller.

If you've been playing at Curio and/or Victory, and were doing so between like mid 2014 and late 2016, we probably crossed paths.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've been going ham on my Modern-legal dual land megacycles project. I'm at 211/320 cards, so just a little under two-thirds of them all.

11/40 painlands (all Tenth Edition)
24/40 checklands (Magic 2010/Innistrad)
40/40 fetchlands (Khans of Tarkir/Modern Masters 2017)
40/40 shocklands (Ravnica: City of Guilds/Guildpact/Dissension)
8/40 filterlands (Shadowmoor/Eventide)
40/40 creaturelands
40/40 fastlands
8/40 scrylands

Beyond those, I am also at:

36/40 tribal lands (I'm counting Mutavault as one even though it doesn't have the same untapped clause the other do. I should get a set of Flamekin Villages too even though they're not in the format. I just need a set of Primal Beyond to finish it.)

4/16 futurelands (Graven Cairns is one, but I'm grouping it with the filterlands and I don't want my set to be from Futre Sight)
12/20 battlelands
16/20 shadowlands
18/20 cycling duals

7/? of however many five-color lands there are in Modern.

0/28 legendary monocolor Kamigawa lands
1/20 monocolor Zendikar lands (dat single Valakut I have lol)

As an aside, I have a playset of every B/G and R/W land in the format.

After finishing off the creaturelands and fastlands in mid-September, most of the rest is cheaper to collect from here. The allied filterlands aren't cheap, especially the blue ones, and even a set of Graven Cairns from Shadowmoor is $20 despite it having two other editions.

:suicide:

Star Man fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 18, 2018

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Walked posted:

I'm on an AK build. It's just so much smoother than predict/portent.

Generally speaking:
3 Terminus / 1 Verdict
2 Jace (sometimes 3) / 1 Teferi
2 - 3 Mentor
2 Back to Basics (main; 1x side)
No counterbalance main (2x side)

Deck runs incredibly smooth and performs great. It's a bit of an oddball build but I love it.

Yeah its real good. Back to Basics is great; and Accumulated Knowledge is a turbocharger with DRS gone.

Got a list?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

L0cke17 posted:

Got a list?

https://www.mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=242&meta=39&f=LE

take your pick

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

Got a list?

Sure - I can post it later this evening

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Star Man posted:

I've been going ham on my Modern-legal dual land megacycles project. I'm at 211/320 cards, so just a little under two-thirds of them all.

11/40 painlands (all Tenth Edition)
24/40 checklands (Magic 2010/Innistrad)
40/40 fetchlands (Khans of Tarkir/Modern Masters 2017)
40/40 shocklands (Ravnica: City of Guilds/Guildpact/Dissension)
8/40 filterlands (Shadowmoor/Eventide)
40/40 creaturelands
40/40 fastlands
8/40 scrylands

Beyond those, I am also at:

36/40 tribal lands (I'm counting Mutavault as one even though it doesn't have the same untapped clause the other do. I should get a set of Flamekin Villages too even though they're not in the format. I just need a set of Primal Beyond to finish it.)

4/16 futurelands (Graven Cairns is one, but I'm grouping it with the filterlands and I don't want my set to be from Futre Sight)
12/20 battlelands
16/20 shadowlands
18/20 cycling duals

7/? of however many five-color lands there are in Modern.

0/28 legendary monocolor Kamigawa lands
1/20 monocolor Zendikar lands (dat single Valakut I have lol)

As an aside, I have a playset of every B/G and R/W land in the format.

After finishing off the creaturelands and fastlands in mid-September, most of the rest is cheaper to collect from here. The allied filterlands aren't cheap, especially the blue ones, and even a set of Graven Cairns from Shadowmoor is $20 despite it having two other editions.

:suicide:

impressive. I have had thoughts about doing something similar, but i'm not 100% there. I think i'm close to having the major U/B U/R G/B R/B lands filled out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is one copy of Gavony Township still a thing in Spirits, or have people moved away from that one entirely?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Is one copy of Gavony Township still a thing in Spirits, or have people moved away from that one entirely?

People have been putting Cavern in, which I hate, and the land that makes spirits, which I just dislike.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

People have been putting Cavern in, which I hate, and the land that makes spirits, which I just dislike.

lol at buying Caverns, but I have a copy of Moorland Haunt which I'm willing to give a shot at FNM tomorrow (if I can muster up the energy to go).

My list, which I think is pretty bog-standard right now-
3 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
2 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Horizon Canopy
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Temple Garden
2 Windswept Heath
3 Aether Vial
4 Collected Company
4 Drogskol Captain
2 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Path to Exile
2 Phantasmal Image
1 Rattlechains
3 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom
//Sideboard
1 Disdainful Stroke
2 Dromoka's Command
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Geist of Saint Traft
3 Rest in Peace
3 Stony Silence
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Unified Will

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Unified Will is really bad. Play Negate.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

lol at buying Caverns, but I have a copy of Moorland Haunt which I'm willing to give a shot at FNM tomorrow (if I can muster up the energy to go).

My list, which I think is pretty bog-standard right now-
3 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
2 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Horizon Canopy
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Temple Garden
2 Windswept Heath
3 Aether Vial
4 Collected Company
4 Drogskol Captain
2 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Path to Exile
2 Phantasmal Image
1 Rattlechains
3 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom
//Sideboard
1 Disdainful Stroke
2 Dromoka's Command
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Geist of Saint Traft
3 Rest in Peace
3 Stony Silence
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Unified Will

please just run this manabase:
2 hallowed fountain
1 temple garden
1 breeding pool
2 botanical sanctum
3 flooded strand
3 misty rainforest
2 windswept heath
3 horizon canopy (or 2 and 1 cavern if you don't have 3)
1 forest
1 islands
1 plains
1 moorland haunt

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

all this spirits talk makes me realize i should sleeve UWr instead of UW tomorrow

:getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

please just run this manabase:
2 hallowed fountain
1 temple garden
1 breeding pool
2 botanical sanctum
3 flooded strand
3 misty rainforest
2 windswept heath
3 horizon canopy (or 2 and 1 cavern if you don't have 3)
1 forest
1 islands
1 plains
1 moorland haunt

You got it chief.

What do I sideboard against Skred? If I had to guess one deck I'll run up against tomorrow it's that. I used to run Blessed Alliance in my SB which did serious work against the deck, but it looks like it's fallen out of favor now that Bogles has faded away.

Is it just Dromoka's Command, or is Disdainful Stroke worth it for countering P&K or Stormbreath?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 19, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Seachrome coast in bant makes zero sense to me and I refuse to run it. I do run a cavern and 2 canopy though as that's what I have.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Seachrome coast in bant makes zero sense to me and I refuse to run it. I do run a cavern and 2 canopy though as that's what I have.

God yes thank you. Seachrome has absolutely no place in that deck. I should really take some pictures of my build. It's looking reallllly nice.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

You got it chief.

What do I sideboard against Skred? If I had to guess one deck I'll run up against tomorrow it's that. I used to run Blessed Alliance in my SB which did serious work against the deck, but it looks like it's fallen out of favor now that Bogles has faded away.

Is it just Dromoka's Command, or is Disdainful Stroke worth it for countering P&K or Stormbreath?

Dragon skred or skred classic? (Also I still have one blessed alliance)

In:
Knight of autumn
Blessed alliance
Eidolon of rhetoric

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Dragon skred or skred classic? (Also I still have one blessed alliance)

In:
Knight of autumn
Blessed alliance
Eidolon of rhetoric

Pre-M19 Skred, though maybe it's changed (it's the store owner's deck and he just lends it out to someone each FNM). Just going with the typical Spirits SB for now, will have to feel it out as I go along.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

God yes thank you. Seachrome has absolutely no place in that deck. I should really take some pictures of my build. It's looking reallllly nice.

Update:

I did it

The non-foil Qasali Pridemage will be a foil Knight of Autumn whenever that bothers to show up. Also you'll notice that I have a Cavern of Souls despite hating on it so hard. The reason for that is because shut up.

The actual reason is I really love Gavony in this deck and I wanted, but couldn't support, a 3rd utility land so the Cavern is some kind of a compromise that should realistically probably just be another fetch. Also I should probably put something in for the Rattlechains but I JUST finished my playset when everyone suddenly decided it was bad so screw it, I'm playing one. I have a lead on foil Stonys and RiPs at a reasonable ("reasonable") price but I really just don't care about this game enough to spend $260 on 4 cards I'll probably never actually cast because lol if you think I'm lucky enough to draw sideboard cards. Shut up about the Horizon Canopies. Those things are impossible to find in Russian.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
1-2 at FNM with Spirits, got wrecked 0-2 R1 by MonoG Stompy (with Groundbreakers!), then 2-0'd KCI handily, then went loss-win-loss against Jund. Not the kind of finish I was hoping for but the deck is still fun to play. That last round against Jund was a lot of fun with some good and bad plays on my part-

Good 1: Flashing in Drogskol Captain off of Rattlechains in response to him tapping out for a LotV -> {-2}, then dropping another Drogskol next turn to set up the lock.
Good 2: Spell Queller on an escalated CoBru. He killed the Queller that same turn but was down a card and only got to pick one mode, which saved the CoCo in my hand.
Bad 1: Was facing down Treetop Village, 3/3 ScOoze, 3/4 Goyf with one Path in hand. Path'd the Treetop because I didn't want him to gain a land in the deal and I figured that I could draw into my sideboard RIPs to handle the other two. After I lost my opponent pointed out that he would have had to keep sinking mana into Treetop for it to be a threat, and that there was only one creature in both GYs at the time so Pathing ScOoze would have made him eat that one creature to de-buff Goyf.
Bad 2: Had CoCo and Spell Queller to respond to an opponent's BBE. Got greedy and responded with CoCo which was mediocre, then he Cascades into LotV and I lose both creatures by turn's end.

Still a good night out and I learned some stuff. Will probably make room for one Settle the Wreckage in the SB, saw mostly aggro/midrange with one UW control deck and no pure combo outside of my KCI opponent. Also a kid with a really cool-looking Abzan midrange (not Junk) home-brew that I wanted to take a closer look at but I didn't get to. Also I bought my once-per-set pack for GRN and cracked another Mission Briefing for my playset :toot:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

Bad 2: Had CoCo and Spell Queller to respond to an opponent's BBE. Got greedy and responded with CoCo which was mediocre, then he Cascades into LotV and I lose both creatures by turn's end.

Seems like it would always be correct to let them resolve their Cascade trigger first and see what it hits?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yeah unless you've got like, a Counterbalance trigger or something.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

Seems like it would always be correct to let them resolve their Cascade trigger first and see what it hits?

You're probably right, my thought at the time was "if I can counter this BBE then they lose out on a free spell!", ignoring the fact that a 3/2 Haste creature by itself isn't the end of the world.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

That's not how cascade works though.

Edit: cascade is a cast trigger.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 20, 2018

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

suicidesteve posted:

That's not how cascade works though.

Yeah, this. Cascade is a trigger upon casting, so it goes on the stack before either player gets priority. It's going to happen even if you counter the Cascade spell.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah I realize now that I messed up the timing, even with the Cascade trigger. I feel like I have at least one timing-related gently caress-up per match where I get too proactive with instant-speed effects rather than being reactive. Definitely something I need to drill myself on.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 20, 2018

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

got wrecked 0-2 R1 by MonoG Stompy (with Groundbreakers!)

Yes... ha ha ha...Yes!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Welp, I put together new miracles. The prospect of durdly AK control mirrors is the most excitement I've felt for this format in a long time.