Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've watched a couple of really good, seemingly underrated thriller/horrors movies on Netflix recently. The first one being The Invitation which is a slow burn of a film about a guy going to a dinner party hosted by his ex-wife that he hasn't seen in a couple of years. It really is a slow movie, but I think that's what makes it so tense for most of the run time. The guy's ex-wife and new partner seem a little off, but you don't really know if it's just in the head of the protagonist or not.

Another one I watched yesterday and have been thinking about today is Triangle. It's about a group of friends who go sailing off the coast of Florida where they get caught in a storm and their yacht capsizes. Soon after an old cruise ship comes by them, which they get on only to find it's empty. Then weird stuff happens after that. If you're in any way interested in that, I would go watch it and not look up any reviews, they're suuuuuper spoilery. I looked it up on RT to see if it was worth watching but for some reason critics just completely spoil a big part of the mystery. I've been looking up discussions about the film today and the more I think about it, the more well done it really is. There's really only one thing I don't like about the film which I'll spoil here There's one character who disappears right after the capsizing and the film pretty much forgets about them, and it's never explained where they went but apart from that I thought it was pretty drat well crafted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I love The Invitation.

That being said, the guy who did Green Room has a new movie out, Hold the Dark. Just read Tom Chick's review, not really glowing to say the least. I'll watch it anyway, he's probably one of the few directors where I'm anxious to see what he's doing next.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Aphex- posted:

I've watched a couple of really good, seemingly underrated thriller/horrors movies on Netflix recently. The first one being The Invitation which is a slow burn of a film about a guy going to a dinner party hosted by his ex-wife that he hasn't seen in a couple of years. It really is a slow movie, but I think that's what makes it so tense for most of the run time. The guy's ex-wife and new partner seem a little off, but you don't really know if it's just in the head of the protagonist or not.

Another one I watched yesterday and have been thinking about today is Triangle. It's about a group of friends who go sailing off the coast of Florida where they get caught in a storm and their yacht capsizes. Soon after an old cruise ship comes by them, which they get on only to find it's empty. Then weird stuff happens after that. If you're in any way interested in that, I would go watch it and not look up any reviews, they're suuuuuper spoilery. I looked it up on RT to see if it was worth watching but for some reason critics just completely spoil a big part of the mystery. I've been looking up discussions about the film today and the more I think about it, the more well done it really is. There's really only one thing I don't like about the film which I'll spoil here There's one character who disappears right after the capsizing and the film pretty much forgets about them, and it's never explained where they went but apart from that I thought it was pretty drat well crafted.

Where can one watch Triangle?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bred posted:

Part 4 of Terrace House now on Netflix.:3:

This pretty much confirmed that Terrace House is my #1 show of 2018. Well it is a little unfair since I've watched all the Netflix versions in 2018, but Opening New Doors alone would have put it at the top. At the end of this part they finally did something that always said that they should do, but I am still surprised they did it (the new bi cast member). Part 5 (I assume which will be the last part of this version) comes out on December 18th, and it shouldn't be too long before we start to hear about the next series of Terrace House. I did finally download all 98 episodes and the movie of the non-Netflix season (dubbed of course). Planning to start it after I finish Haunting of Hill House (as a big fan of the book I've been putting it toff) and season of The Handmaid's Tale.

Vulture made a ranking for all of the Terrace House cast members (Netflix versions only). They for sure got the bottom part right, but tnumber 2 on the list should have been number 1.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/every-terrace-house-cast-member-ranked.html

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

mike12345 posted:

I love The Invitation.

That being said, the guy who did Green Room has a new movie out, Hold the Dark. Just read Tom Chick's review, not really glowing to say the least. I'll watch it anyway, he's probably one of the few directors where I'm anxious to see what he's doing next.

HtD is one of those modern "artistic" horror movies where you are treated to long, unbroken silent shots (which is fine and can be good sometimes) and characters that are playing a game of who can whisper the quietest. It does have one truly awesome action scene though. If you've seen Wind River this movie is VERY similar.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

martinlutherbling posted:

Shudder

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

It's on Netflix UK if you're able to access that at all.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Hill House is almost a bell curve in terms of quality. It started off ok and by ep4-5 I was definitely into it (even if the characters are pretty stock; it felt very much like a Stephen King project in this regard). But yeah, 8 episodes at most would have been much better than 10. There's far too much space for people to start going into these really overwrought and badly written monologues, or to insert arguments between the characters that feel contrived as hell and go on for way too long (the bickering at the funeral home felt like it ate up a whole episode). It sucks all the scary and seriousness straight out of the show.

But the last episode is the worst offender. It started off so well, and then it hit the brick wall and turned into a goddamned embarrassment. It had all the emotional depth of the final minutes of a particularly lovely episode of Cold Case, with eye-rollingly precious dialogue straight out of Brit Marling. What the gently caress happened?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

(the bickering at the funeral home felt like it ate up a whole episode).

That's because it did. Had pretty mixed feelings on that ep. it had some of the best parts in the show but some of the worst as well.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Hill House is almost a bell curve in terms of quality. It started off ok and by ep4-5 I was definitely into it (even if the characters are pretty stock; it felt very much like a Stephen King project in this regard). But yeah, 8 episodes at most would have been much better than 10. There's far too much space for people to start going into these really overwrought and badly written monologues, or to insert arguments between the characters that feel contrived as hell and go on for way too long (the bickering at the funeral home felt like it ate up a whole episode). It sucks all the scary and seriousness straight out of the show.

But the last episode is the worst offender. It started off so well, and then it hit the brick wall and turned into a goddamned embarrassment. It had all the emotional depth of the final minutes of a particularly lovely episode of Cold Case, with eye-rollingly precious dialogue straight out of Brit Marling. What the gently caress happened?

The ending was great.

It's not a horror story, it's a story about a family and about letting go. The ghosts are just incidental. The bickering at the funeral home was masterful, because it's pretty much exactly like a real family argument. Everyone is talking, no one is listening, and things are just getting worse and worse for no good reason.

It happens. Fights like that in front of family member's dead bodies at wakes. It had a lot of depth and punch.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

That's because it did. Had pretty mixed feelings on that ep. it had some of the best parts in the show but some of the worst as well.

I think it's an important episode because it starts to do something entries in the horror genre really do: resolve the horror.
Most of these pieces just create a mystery box, don't open it, and have everyone die: the end. It's just not very interesting.
And when they do explain the mystery or source of horror, it's not scary anymore.

It's inevitable that once we understand what's going on we won't be scared anymore. So what to do? The writer and director made a choice to make this slow deflation of horror into a benefit for the story. It's at the funeral home for the first time that we really begin to see the relationship of this family/the house/the ghosts. We're not so scared anymore, but we are invested in the characters as people with depth and perhaps even in the house as a character as well.

After all, how could the bent neck lady be scary once we know what we know at that point? So the horror (or sorrow) needs to come from a different, emotional place, which requires us entering into that family's emotional ecosystem (which is what every episode that far had been preparing us for).

I think it depends on one's expectations going into it, because it's a ghost story, but only incidentally a horror story. Even the house is a sympathetic character in the end.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Aphex- posted:

Another one I watched yesterday and have been thinking about today is Triangle.

Triangle is certainly one of the better (major spoiler) dead the whole time movies I can recall. The Sisyphus chat near the beginning is a little too on the nose, though. Also by the same director Severance is more fun than it deserves to be given the presence of Danny Dyer although only seems to be streaming on Shudder.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Barto posted:

The ending was great.

It's not a horror story, it's a story about a family and about letting go. The ghosts are just incidental. The bickering at the funeral home was masterful, because it's pretty much exactly like a real family argument. Everyone is talking, no one is listening, and things are just getting worse and worse for no good reason.

It happens. Fights like that in front of family member's dead bodies at wakes. It had a lot of depth and punch.

Counterpoint: It kind sucked and coulda used more spoopy skeltons and zambies and ghastly ghosties.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Gotham is still a delight

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ozmunkeh posted:

Triangle is certainly one of the better (major spoiler) dead the whole time movies I can recall. The Sisyphus chat near the beginning is a little too on the nose, though. Also by the same director Severance is more fun than it deserves to be given the presence of Danny Dyer although only seems to be streaming on Shudder.

Yeah I looked up the director afterwards and didn't realise he did Severance too, that was a really fun film.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

A long time ago I bought the DVD for Severance as a gift for my friend (I bought it from Amazon). I noticed that ever since then, I have that film listed on my Amazon library and have streaming rights.

Does this hold true for any physical media movie you buy from Amazon?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was prepared for disappointment from the Hill House finale due to this thread and...I thought it was really good? Not sure why some people didn't like it tbh. It's barely horror at that point but I thought it wrapped just about everything up nicely.

Also holy moly I'm glad they chose to use different actors for Hugh instead of old person makeup after seeing the caretakers at the end. Yeesh.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 19, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, that was bad. I guess they didn't think of a way to naturally reintroduce the characters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh I actually thought that aspect was fine. I just meant the lovely makeup.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's what I meant. They had to use the lovely makeup because they didn't think of a way to naturally reintroduce the characters, so we had to be able to identify them visually.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

40 minutes into The Night Comes For Us and this is the most insanely violent, visceral, best action film I’ve ever seen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

red19fire posted:

40 minutes into The Night Comes For Us and this is the most insanely violent, visceral, best action film I’ve ever seen.

Oh poo poo that's the new movie with Iko in it :stare: I'm glad I finally found out what it's called

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey if you haven’t seen it (it didn’t get much of a push in the US), Girl With All The Gifts is on Amazon prime, a zombie movie that is surprisingly thoughtful and moving.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Hey if you haven’t seen it (it didn’t get much of a push in the US), Girl With All The Gifts is on Amazon prime, a zombie movie that is surprisingly thoughtful and moving.

I didn't like it at all. The characters' actions made no sense, the ending made no sense either. I felt it was quite a waste of time. Almost on Walking Dead Season 7-9 levels, but shorter, so at least there's that.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pushing Daisies is apparently on Prime, it's a fun show.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Pushing Daisies is apparently on Prime, it's a fun show.

YES ITS BACK

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a good way to see what movies and TV shows are available on international versions of Netflix and Amazon prime?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Barto posted:

I didn't like it at all. The characters' actions made no sense, the ending made no sense either. I felt it was quite a waste of time. Almost on Walking Dead Season 7-9 levels, but shorter, so at least there's that.

Think of it like The VVitch or Ex Machina where the girl has been treated like garbage by the people who were supposed to be on her side for so long that when their fate rest in her hands, she can’t come up with a good reason why they’re worth saving

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Night Comes for Us was pretty great. It has Dead Alive levels of gore. However, it doesn't even come close to The Raid or its sequel in terms of quality.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Tim Whatley posted:

The Night Comes for Us was pretty great. It has Dead Alive levels of gore

That's a strong rear end claim.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

All the fake blood must've cost, like, 1/5 of the budget

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

married but discreet posted:

That's a strong rear end claim.

There is a fight scene in this film in which a woman is cut across the mid section and has her intestines hanging out and continues to fight, before being stabbed in the forearm and carved vertically down her arm, then the same with her throat.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

HtD is one of those modern "artistic" horror movies where you are treated to long, unbroken silent shots (which is fine and can be good sometimes) and characters that are playing a game of who can whisper the quietest. It does have one truly awesome action scene though. If you've seen Wind River this movie is VERY similar.

Ok, I just watched this. Eh. It builds up and builds up, and then just fizzles. Also cryptic behaviour works in small doses, not sure if it can carry a whole movie. Pfft.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Watching Hill House and I'm constantly reminded of why I love Mike Flanagan so much. He's not lazy. He doesn't go for cheap scares. I'm so used to expecting them from the formulaic dreck most of the studios are pumping out that his not including them is actually making it a tense watch.

I wish I could tell the women apart though. Undertaker/Child psych dress in the same muted colors, talk in the same monotone pace. I have to really pay attention sometimes to figure out who is who.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Watching Hill House and I'm constantly reminded of why I love Mike Flanagan so much. He's not lazy. He doesn't go for cheap scares. I'm so used to expecting them from the formulaic dreck most of the studios are pumping out that his not including them is actually making it a tense watch.

I wish I could tell the women apart though. Undertaker/Child psych dress in the same muted colors, talk in the same monotone pace. I have to really pay attention sometimes to figure out who is who.

It took 3 or 4 episodes for me to get comfortable with all the bouncing timelines and characters. Theodora starts acting a lot more distinct later on, too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I briefly mentioned this earlier, but the scares in Hill House could have used a little more restraint imo. Nearly every one seems to linger a few seconds too long, often ruining the effect of the initial scare for me.

For example with the tall ghost, the first glimpse of him you see floating down the hallway is very effectively creepy. But then he comes into the room, which I thought was fine, but they fixate on his floating feet and then show the actors face when he checks under the bed and by the end I was just like meh. I think the whole second part of the scene would have been better by just focusing on the kids reaction to what is in the room with him. In one of the last eps he shows up again far off in a hallway and it's really effectively creepy, but then what do they do? Bring him front and center so you can just fixate on it being a guy with white makeup on.

There's a bunch like this though. I was going to make a list but I'm sure you guys get the point. The scary moments just seem to run out of steam before they end and it's frustrating because it's so close to being great. That said I'm glad they aren't presented via bigfoot shaky cam as well.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
The Night Comes for Us opens with a bunch of triad hitmen gunning down an entire village, and only gets more violent from there.

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 21, 2018

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

hihifellow posted:

The Night Comes for Us opens with a bunch of triad hitmen gunning down an entire village, and only gets more violent from there.

The last 40 minutes of The Night Comes for Us is quite possibly some of the most insane and gruesome violence I have watched in a long time. And I loved every second of it. Everyone should go watch it right now.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

BlackCircle posted:

The last 40 minutes of The Night Comes for Us is quite possibly some of the most insane and gruesome violence I have watched in a long time. And I loved every second of it. Everyone should go watch it right now.

Is this as intense as S. Craig Zahler stuff? Cuz I've seen Dead Alive and it didn't upset me nearly as much as bone tomahawk or brawl on cell block 99. Like, I'd gladly watch Dead Alive again but Bone Tomahawk gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishtobaskets posted:

Is this as intense as S. Craig Zahler stuff? Cuz I've seen Dead Alive and it didn't upset me nearly as much as bone tomahawk or brawl on cell block 99. Like, I'd gladly watch Dead Alive again but Bone Tomahawk gently caress that.

S. Craig Zahler is a neo-Nazi and you probably shouldn't be admitting that you like his stuff anymore.