Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Reminder: The win condition for this mission is NOT kill all enemies. You really aren't geared for that. My successful run I only killed one pod using the reaper to guide my way out. Wipe out the first pod with the officer using a claymore, sneak into the prison and bust out Shen, then run out the back. The last pod is camping the exit, so using the reaper to scout (I highly recommend using Gotcha Again mod) can make it so you don't activate them till everyone can dash to evac. You don't need the kills to get Gold either.

You're thinking of Lazarus, the fourth campaign. He's talking about the third campaign, where you start with Shen and Bradford never appears. Killing all enemies is absolutely required in that one.

Honestly, my biggest recommendation is simply to be very cautious while fighting the first pod, because it is STUPIDLY easy to accidentally activate the second pod and possibly the turret while you're still trying to deal with the first pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Do negative traits just go away on their own after awhile? I cured one manually, went to go put the second guy in the infirmary, and now no one else has any.

e: I put one of the soldiers with an old negative trait in bond training, and suddenly got a popup that she had gotten that negative trait. the other guy with a negative trait that went away still doesn't have it. :regd09:

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 20, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I think they can gently caress off on their own if the soldier recovers from shaken

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Soldiers can recover from Negative traits manually. In order to do so, the Infirmary has to be built, and then the soldier must participate in a certain number of missions where he does not get injured. Eventually, the trait will vanish.

If you have the "More Traits" mod that adds positive traits, this is the only way to GET those positive traits without a further mod that allows some soldiers to start with traits. If you toss them in therapy to shake the negative trait, they won't replace it with a positive one like they will if they shake it off naturally.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
The fashion randomizer mods work on all the classes

Templer

Scrimmager

Rupert

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
code:
[WOTC] Helmet Glass Fix Complete Edition

Cannon Animation Redux

WotC Vest Slot

WotC Tactical Suppressors

WotC Stealth Overhaul

[WOTC] Chosen Weaponry Fix

Blackmarket Usage

[WOTC] Mechatronic Warfare: Total SPARK Overhaul

X2WOTCCommunityHighlander

Infinite TLP Weaponry

[WOTC] Powered Armor Rebalance

[TLP & WOTC] Wrist-Mounted Blades

[WotC] Useful Autopsies – ADVENT MEC

[WotC] Useful Autopsies - Chryssalid

[WotC] Melee Weapon Breakthrough

M3 Tactical Helmet - WotC

[WOTC] Armored Viper

[WOTC] New Target Icons

WOTC Female Hair Pack

[WoTC] Advent Custodians Standalone

Alien Hunters DLC Icon, Name Support and Empty Arms and Legs [WOTC]

[WOTC]N7 Engineer Squad Mate

[WOTC] Carry Unit Fix

[WOTC] Stabilize Me

[WOTC] EC Map Expansion

[WOTC] Invisible Parts For Hero Units

[WOTC] New Promotion Screen by Default

Propaganda Poster Pack (14 new backgrounds)

Empty WOTC Deco Slots for XCOM Soldiers (+ Some other empty things)

Arms and Shoulders

[WOTC] Cost-Based Ability Colors

[WotC] Useful Autopsies - Viper

[WotC] Useful Autopsies - ADVENT Purifier

WOTC - Extended Information!

WC_PhotoReBooth

Unrestricted Customization - Wotc

Long War SMG Pack - WotC (unofficial)

Coilguns for War of the Chosen

[WOTC] Peek From Concealment

Beam Grenade Launcher

Add Part Names

Landed UFOs From Day 1 WOTC

Impairment Rebalance WOTC

Row-Based Scrolling Speed Wotc

[WOTC] Advent Flashlights

Exclude Same Class Skills

Evac All - WotC

WA'sCustomGearWOTC

[WOTC] Detailed Soldier Lists

[WOTC] Additional Icons

[WOTC] Cinematic Rapid Fire (and other abilities)

Capnbubs Accessories - WotC

[WotC] Gotcha Again

RAGE Helmet[WOTC Compatible now]

Stop Wasting My Time - WotC
What am I missing... I know someone will say spark melee weapons.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

So this guy showed up at the Avenger. I only changed his nickname (and biography):

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Anybody played the XCOM mobile game recently? Worth $10 on a 5.5 inch phone?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Lima posted:

So this guy showed up at the Avenger. I only changed his nickname (and biography):

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

Anybody played the XCOM mobile game recently? Worth $10 on a 5.5 inch phone?

Yesssss it'r great for getting your fix in on the train. The only thing it lacks from real EW is maps. It's the full game otherwise, and controls decently. Just don't play ironman (it will crash occasionally, and you will occasionally misclick. Not often at all, but multiple times in a full campaign, for sure).

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
anyone know a known reason i would be crashing on a defend from ufo mission? Any specific mod I should try removing?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lima posted:

I got a similarly naked soldier from one of those rescue mission things and he ended up being one hell of a killa.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've been using fulton extraction and MOCX together and that has allowed me to recruit two extra skirmishers I have no business having, as well as a shinobi who has become a great asset.

Wishlist for a mod update: that when you beat a MOCX and the map ends before they can evac, that it counts as automatically capturing them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If the legacy mode has one function it’s to reveal how a well-deployed Skirmisher can save your whole rear end

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I find skirmishers are good out of the box and always an asset while Templars can sometimes be dead weight and reapers need a few ranks to really get their essential tools.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

I find skirmishers are good out of the box and always an asset while Templars can sometimes be dead weight and reapers need a few ranks to really get their essential tools.

Yeah templars without bladestorm/reaper are close to useless. They can do some neat tricks with invert/exchange but I think exchange should have been useable as part of their momentum move.

Skirmishers just need a scoped rifle and an aim pcs to go from good to :vince:.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Oh poo poo, being able to use their location-swapping powers in place of Momentum moves would be really cool and would give Templars a pretty robust toolbox of options (move, Parry, teleport shenanigans) after doing their Main Thing (Rend). That's a genuinely great idea.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Backhand posted:

Yeah, I wound up losing a guy on that mission and getting two more wounded. It's rough with nothing but squaddies; they give you some fairly nasty enemies considering just how little you've got to work with. The below is what I did, but it's not particularly clever or anything.... mostly just common sense combined with a bit of luck.

The first pod has to be taken down quick and hard as it's honestly the worst one on the map, so go ahead and pop Claymore for that, and use Combat Protocol to (hopefully) finish off the MEC. Abuse the high ground aim advantage if possible and try to stay in high cover. Save at least one or two explosives for the second pod. It's not very realistic to take all these guys out in one go, so prioritize killing the MEC and the stun lancer and pray the officer / trooper get lovely Aim rolls.

For the second pod blow whatever explosives you've got left to wreck their cover. Be very, very careful not to move up too far, as there's a turret on just the other side of the dropship. If at all possible, grenade the viper and then alpha strike it down - again, it is by far and away the biggest threat. Don't be afraid to move to good positions and Hunker Down for a better opportunity.. assuming you killed the viper already. Once the mobiles are all dead, move up and kill the turret at your leisure.

If you have the patience and the unrevealed reaper, it's handy to maneuver around the last pod and take them from the high ground on the left. You're almost certain to be out of explosives at this point and that +10 aim can be a lifesaver for squaddies. Again, don't be super aggressive; there's some decent full cover if you're willing to stand two or three tiles back from the edge of the cliff. Remember that your skirmisher can safely Wrath the purifier out of cover, so long as you start on the ground and use your second action to grapple up to the clifftop to safety before finishing it off.

Beyond that.... yeah. You need a certain level of good rolls. Fortunately, it's the first mission, so if things go badly you can always abandon the campaign and immediately restart with no score penalty...

If you wait until turn 3, the first pod walks over to the explosive. Claymoring them then makes the explosive blow up as well and it's just 4 free kills at that point. After you do that, dash over to the turret, kill that from a distance on the left and wait for the second pod to blunder into range a turn later. The rest of the mission plays itself.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Figured I might as well start two tonight, I hope it is fun as the first. Can't wait to bring back the old legends.

Does it have the second wave options where your rookies have rando stats and stat increases? I like that one a lot because it's usually balanced and now and then you get a murder machine that feels nothing as other rookies get minced around them

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I lost a soldier last night because his hitbox got stuck on top of a truck despite his body hitting the ground, and he bled out because my other soldier couldn't see the final Lost behind a chain link fence, This is after having a skirmisher Wrath across a rooftop and just straight up not ripjack the lost he grappled to, and instead got stuck on a non-existant tile he could leave until he could grapple back out of it. I'm usually :xcom: about losing soldiers, even Lieutenants, but that was just some dead-rear end cheating

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is the Reaper Banish ability OP as hell or what? I killed the final boss (one of?) of the game by using it once and even then I had two Reapers.

There's also the gun mod with a small chance to instantly kill which seems to work on bosses and I used it to kill two of those portal bosses on the first encounter.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Is the Reaper Banish ability OP as hell or what? I killed the final boss (one of?) of the game by using it once and even then I had two Reapers.

There's also the gun mod with a small chance to instantly kill which seems to work on bosses and I used it to kill two of those portal bosses on the first encounter.

That mod saved my rear end so many times, usually taking out an Avatar, I won the last level due to it.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Yes. Add your best extended magazine and repeater, upgrade to Annihilate, see what happens.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

aegof posted:

Yes. Add your best extended magazine and repeater, upgrade to Annihilate, see what happens.

Hey wasn't there an entire pod here a minute ago? Shrug.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never had a stand out skirmisher but I've also never beaten gatecrasher on legendary with zero wounds without one. It's technically cheating to use the mid skipping that first mission but it's so based in your rookies not constantly loving up that I don't mind since I've won it perfectly a couple times now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Should I play on commander if I played the first game on classic? Gonna hope so!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

Should I play on commander if I played the first game on classic? Gonna hope so!

Yep! That's a pretty solid difficulty, the one below is really easy

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

do the legacy unlocks persist across installs on steam

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

do the legacy unlocks persist across installs on steam

should get saved as part of your save games on steam cloud

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Yep! That's a pretty solid difficulty, the one below is really easy

Perfect! I am doing the tutorial to see what's changed up and I guess killing all your guys in the tutorial is still a mainstay! I'm assuming your survivor other than Central is supposed to match your nationality which is p cool. I'd suspected the first game of having a feature where you were more likely to get characters from your home country. That could just be confirmation bias though.

Might restart the game in a few hours after I clear all the tutorial stuff because IIRC it was a really bad idea to play it generally in the first game. Also I didn't see second wave options and how do I check my guys stats? There was an icon for it in the last game :saddowns:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

jane kelly is always irish iirc

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

Perfect! I am doing the tutorial to see what's changed up and I guess killing all your guys in the tutorial is still a mainstay! I'm assuming your survivor other than Central is supposed to match your nationality which is p cool. I'd suspected the first game of having a feature where you were more likely to get characters from your home country. That could just be confirmation bias though.

Might restart the game in a few hours after I clear all the tutorial stuff because IIRC it was a really bad idea to play it generally in the first game. Also I didn't see second wave options and how do I check my guys stats? There was an icon for it in the last game :saddowns:

IIRC if you have the story intro on, Jane Kelly is always the one who survives, while Peter Osei and... the lady who dies first are also set in stone. Same with Outrider and Mox always being your first two resistance recruits if you activate Lost and Abandoned.

Both tutorial missions are why the Commander is in charge and not Bradford. He got everyone killed in Enemy Unknown's intro too, but Jane was buff enough to tank a plasma hit to the back. Stick to flying this tub, dork

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hell ye

Sorry to all the other soldiers I will be sending to stand in the open if I ever gently caress up and put her in danger :patriot:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

jane actually gets called out by the chosen if you bring her on missions

the hunter remarks that there's a sizable bounty on her head for example

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That's pretty cool. I might not rename her and it'll be cool to have a normal name beside Police Cop, Ghost Dad, and An Actual Motherfucker.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

it'll be cool to have a normal name beside Police Cop, Ghost Dad, and An Actual Motherfucker.

I mean there's no law saying you can't change Jane's name

Like WOULD it be cool to have a normal name

look deep within yourself. WOULD it be cool

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay imagine this though. I recreate my OG team of killers from XCOM

Emperor Ice Cream, An Actual Motherfucker, Literally A Werewolf, Ghost Dad, Police Cop, Riot Dude, and Tiger Tiger. Then they're joined by a new person who's dope af and called Jane Kelly. Oh yeah I also had a pink MEC called Miami ULTRAVIOLENCE.

Lost An Actual Motherfucker to a misclick just before my base invasion :negative:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sometimes you gotta have a totally normal person with a normal name and a normal hat in there to really show off how dope everyone else's hats and names are.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My best ever soldier was a normie on a totally failed C/I run. Emily 'Axel' Evans had insane stats and when everyone else died on the first Thin Man mission she just loving kept icing them and could not miss. Took a hit and a poisoning and didn't die or panic. Not Created Equally and Hidden Potential owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

Not Created Equally and Hidden Potential owned
:hai: