Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I've done this several dozen times probably, it's kind of funny, but at the same time it wouldn't hurt to have close thread moved to the bottom of the list, since it's presumably a seldom (intentionally) used function.

I did it with someone else's thread once. I had to rush to switch my PC on.

I love the app though. I thought this might be a good place to ask about the charset corruption that's happening. Did anyone post about that already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SPOOKCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I did it with someone else's thread once. I had to rush to switch my PC on.

I love the app though. I thought this might be a good place to ask about the charset corruption that's happening. Did anyone post about that already?

Yes, seems to be a forums thing and not an app thing. See the technical thread in QCS.

MR18inches
Jan 18, 2010
cool

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Stupid sexy iPhone apostrophes

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Are there any known crashes related to attaching images to posts? Awful crashes when I try to do this. I can get to the file picker successfully, but when I tap the image I want to attach, Awful crashes. Nexus 5X, Android 8.1. The "storage" permission is turned on in my OS settings like it should be.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I just looked and apparently there are a few crashes in that region. This is going to sound a bit stupid, but try moving the file to another folder. It might have to do with the image you're trying to attach being located in the download folder.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
For those of you on a new Samsung device who don't like that the navbar stays white on the OLED theme, this is my temporary solution in Routines which auto-hides the navbar everytime Awful.apk is launched.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

am I being a cretin or is it not possible to embiggen a timg'd image that's also behind spoiler tags?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I already fixed this but it's not been published yet. Yeah, spoilers currently eat all other events.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
You're still a cretin though.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Hey everyone, silly question. I am using an amazon fire tablet with the awful app and have embedded pictures/videos/Twitter etc all enabled. I can see all embedded items except tweet pictures - I can see the tweet's frame and the text of the tweet at the bottom but not the pictures. On browsers and phones I can see everything as normal. Am I doing something even dumber than normal or is this a fire tablet issue or what?

PS I am not using WebTV please don't ban me :)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Probably the tablet. What version of Android is it?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sereri posted:

I already fixed this but it's not been published yet. Yeah, spoilers currently eat all other events.

I came to the thread to ask the same question. WHAT SERVICE!

Seriously though, thanks to the devs for all they do for us cretins

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think Sereri handles the Fire version, in a voyage of discovery and adventure he's glad he started!

There was a fix for tweets in the most recent version I think (3.5.2, or maybe it was in 3.5.1) so maybe that build hasn't been pushed out yet? What version does it say you're on in the Changelog

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Slippery posted:

Hey everyone, silly question. I am using an amazon fire tablet with the awful app and have embedded pictures/videos/Twitter etc all enabled. I can see all embedded items except tweet pictures - I can see the tweet's frame and the text of the tweet at the bottom but not the pictures. On browsers and phones I can see everything as normal. Am I doing something even dumber than normal or is this a fire tablet issue or what?

PS I am not using WebTV please don't ban me :)

same issue, it goes back some months if that helps -
I'm using a 5th Gen Fire running FireOS 5.6.2.0; looking it up, seems like FireOS 5.X is forked from Android 5.0 (API level 22),

I seem to recall it working in the past, but I might be thinking about my 3rd Gen Fire

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Any chance an automatic night mode (change to 'dark' theme) at sunset setting is in the works? The function is present in the official Twitter and Reddit apps. Basically I'm too lazy to manually change it each time and having a toggle would be sweet.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Tweet pictures are quasi random for me on the phone app, I'm pretty sure it's the twitter API giving up/being over requested

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

teagone posted:

Any chance an automatic night mode (change to 'dark' theme) at sunset setting is in the works? The function is present in the official Twitter and Reddit apps. Basically I'm too lazy to manually change it each time and having a toggle would be sweet.

Embrace permanent dark mode

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Scudworth posted:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I ... uh ... tend to forget about the amazon app store. Last update Nov 1st 2017 huh? :shepface:
I uploaded the current play store version. Let's see if that fixes anyones problem.

As for dark mode, that's possible nowadays but I'm not sure what the best way would be given our current setup.
Just make it so you can either chose default/dark or one theme from the current selection? Would that work?

That said for now

Scudworth posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to dark theme

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol if you don't live and breathe all the dark modes

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I have an unrelated feature request. Can we get a send button at the bottom of the post reply screen similar to where the new post button is on the thread view? I have a tall phone and baby hands and not having to stretch my baby hands to hit the post reply button would be cool

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Sereri posted:

I ... uh ... tend to forget about the amazon app store. Last update Nov 1st 2017 huh? :shepface:
I uploaded the current play store version. Let's see if that fixes anyones problem.

Thanks! These tablets are kinda janky and it's spent the last four months trying to convince me to turn it into an Alexa marketing data device, but they're also cheap as hell and pretty well documented

I'm still seeing the November update in the App store, does it just take a lil while to propagate out?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Taffer posted:

Probably the tablet. What version of Android is it?

Well, it's a Fire HD 8 (5th gen), running Fire OS 5.6.2.0, which is apparently based on Android 5.0. It's a couple years old but works great other than this weird issue and a tendency to shut down firefox when too much is happening.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Peanut Butler posted:

same issue, it goes back some months if that helps -
I'm using a 5th Gen Fire running FireOS 5.6.2.0; looking it up, seems like FireOS 5.X is forked from Android 5.0 (API level 22),

I seem to recall it working in the past, but I might be thinking about my 3rd Gen Fire

Huh, same here. Maybe we should get newer tablets??

This is the only Fire I've had so nothing to compare it to.

Slippery fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 21, 2018

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

baka kaba posted:

I think Sereri handles the Fire version, in a voyage of discovery and adventure he's glad he started!

There was a fix for tweets in the most recent version I think (3.5.2, or maybe it was in 3.5.1) so maybe that build hasn't been pushed out yet? What version does it say you're on in the Changelog

3.4.1 which I believe is the most current available on Amazon. But that's good news if a fix is coming!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sereri posted:

As for dark mode, that's possible nowadays but I'm not sure what the best way would be given our current setup.
Just make it so you can either chose default/dark or one theme from the current selection? Would that work?

Yeah, just make it so the user can choose their light or dark themes, and have it automatically switch between the two. The Twitter app is really nifty about it, and uses your coarse location to determine sunrise and sunset to switch your themes for you. Same with nova launcher. It's awesome.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, just make it so the user can choose their light or dark themes, and have it automatically switch between the two. The Twitter app is really nifty about it, and uses your coarse location to determine sunrise and sunset to switch your themes for you. Same with nova launcher. It's awesome.

The coarse location permission went away with Android 9, sadly.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Midjack posted:

The coarse location permission went away with Android 9, sadly.

Oh, well gotta be some way to do it. Nova Launcher has a pretty good implementation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sereri posted:

This would be perfect.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The iOS app has a setting to toggle dark/light mode depending on your screen brightness, which does away with the need for location permission.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wait there are people using this app who don't use OLED theme mode all the time?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's just a standard theme in the Android library - you define your styles and it'll automatically switch between applying them to the light base theme or the dark one

Trouble is we have a lot of custom themes, and a whole theming system to handle it (including styling the webview which is what displays thread content, and that's a whole separate thing). It's probably doable, but we can't use the nice easy framework stuff to make it happen. Also it won't do any nice smooth fades or anything :pcgaming:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

That's just a standard theme in the Android library - you define your styles and it'll automatically switch between applying them to the light base theme or the dark one

Trouble is we have a lot of custom themes, and a whole theming system to handle it (including styling the webview which is what displays thread content, and that's a whole separate thing). It's probably doable, but we can't use the nice easy framework stuff to make it happen. Also it won't do any nice smooth fades or anything :pcgaming:

Let the user choose the theme they want for daytime, and the theme they want for night. That way everyone can still use the themes available in the app.

I'm pretty sure I read that the way nova launcher does it, is that they scrape the data from the build in nightlight feature in Android and base it on that. So if your night light in Android is set to turn on and off with sunrise and sunset it'll grab the data from that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah that's pretty much the way we'd have to do it - luckily all the theme handling logic got abstracted away into its own component, so the switching part should just require another case to check. Although the main app theme (like the title bar) doesn't change when you view a forum with its own theme 🤔 yeah this is probably gonna end up being a bit more complicated than it looks

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Slippery posted:

Huh, same here. Maybe we should get newer tablets??

This is the only Fire I've had so nothing to compare it to.

haha probably, but I'm using a lockscreen ad-subsidized tablet because I don't have a lot of extra cash, not cause I loooove Amazon

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Scudworth posted:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Scudworth posted:

It's the only mode

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Auto switching themes based on time of day detected by the location of your phone is cool as gently caress though.