Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If you have the skills to win the Wiegraf fight with a lovely party, you have the skills to have been building a party that's not lovely the entire time. It may be possible, technically, to get out of these sorts of situations, but the kind of player who gets stuck in them in the first place isn't up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Well they might be up to it if they knew what was going on under the hood, it's just that it's unfair to expect that knowledge from the player when the game doesn't do a good, or any job of teaching it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you should are not slept in study darlavon

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The White Dragon posted:

make -ara grenades if you want to clean up fifteen m-teks in a split second.

I can only craft fire, lightning or blizzard on my menu. I just got through the chocobo outpost boss hunt.

Are -ara flasks upgraded via ascension nodes?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LadyPictureShow posted:

I can only craft fire, lightning or blizzard on my menu. I just got through the chocobo outpost boss hunt.

Are -ara flasks upgraded via ascension nodes?

iirc tier is tied to base attack strength of a spell. you should be able to craft an -ara bomb if you combine a ton of all three together, and you can get a stock of 99 of each by stopping by just a few campsites (without the +draw perk, probably 4-5). you might have to add in some monster parts if you don't have the ascension perk that increases the base strength by 30 but iirc that's a reasonably cheap skill to pick up.

it doesn't really matter which element you toss at them as much as the base power of the final spell, so the Omnicast-ara you get from mixing elements should be fine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finally booting up FFXV PC months after downloading it, then had to re-download it because it kept crashing Steam after leaving Hammerhead

is there any way to stop textures from constantly popping in and out? the cycling gives me a headache

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
It's great to not sell monster parts and items and stuff that can be used for crafting and instead do hunts if you need cash. Draw 99 of each element, load all 99 of all 3 into one spell craft, then play around with adding in the items you have with the goal of getting the spell to lvl 99 with as few items as possible along with seeing what ega/era/multicast/etc. stuff it adds on. You'll nuke stuff.

For pop-in, try raising the TRAM setting if you can, and maybe model LOD, and try running off an SSD if you can and aren't already.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Gologle posted:

Just put the Cow Level from D2 into the game. No, shut up, just do it. It's impossible? gently caress you do it

there is no Wisenkin level

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

It's great to not sell monster parts and items and stuff that can be used for crafting and instead do hunts if you need cash. Draw 99 of each element, load all 99 of all 3 into one spell craft, then play around with adding in the items you have with the goal of getting the spell to lvl 99 with as few items as possible along with seeing what ega/era/multicast/etc. stuff it adds on. You'll nuke stuff.

For pop-in, try raising the TRAM setting if you can, and maybe model LOD, and try running off an SSD if you can and aren't already.

i fixed the pop-in by adjusting the config file and had to lower TRAM because apparently the memory usage was making my entire computer scream for mercy and die, 980ti or not

i still get alarming hitches whenever i'm in an outpost but no more crashes since then

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Oxxidation posted:

i fixed the pop-in by adjusting the config file and had to lower TRAM because apparently the memory usage was making my entire computer scream for mercy and die, 980ti or not

i still get alarming hitches whenever i'm in an outpost but no more crashes since then

you have to manually crank up your pagefile--basically virtual RAM on your scratch disk. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/increase-page-file-size-virtual-memory-windows

ff15 is a quite good pc port but it has its shortcomings. note that this won't prevent the game from eventually chugging and crashing, only delay it--i set mine to 32gb but that's not large enough to support doing the effect-heavy, 150-minute-long adamantoise hunt legitimately. mysterious memory leak lyfe :patriot:

please note the default size of your pagefile and revert it when you're finished playing. when it's large and populated, it will cause shutdown to take 10+ minutes, and other programs that don't need a 32gb pagefile, such as photoshop, will only be happy to use it greedily, causing long shutdowns even though you haven't been playing ff15.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

If you have the skills to win the Wiegraf fight with a lovely party, you have the skills to have been building a party that's not lovely the entire time. It may be possible, technically, to get out of these sorts of situations, but the kind of player who gets stuck in them in the first place isn't up to it.

This is all true. However, there's really no excuse to have only a single save file at Riovanes because Queklain teaches you in the last chapter that this is a situation that can happen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Memory cards were expensive, don't got no room for multiple blocks.

Or you get a bootleg multipage and it eats your FFT page because you looked at it funny while paging through.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
When FFT first came out, gaming was the hobby of nerds, so Square assumed that most players could figure out how to handle their game saves on their own.

At this point, we now understand that gamers are actually incompetent morons, so if they made a new FFT in this day and age, it’d do the exact same thing, except SquareEnix programmers would be laughing their rear end off about it.

Or, alternatively, probably just let you back out of sequence battles even if there’s no justification for it in the story.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mr. Locke posted:

When FFT first came out, gaming was the hobby of nerds, so Square assumed that most players could figure out how to handle their game saves on their own.

At this point, we now understand that gamers are actually incompetent morons, so if they made a new FFT in this day and age, it’d do the exact same thing, except SquareEnix programmers would be laughing their rear end off about it.

Or, alternatively, probably just let you back out of sequence battles even if there’s no justification for it in the story.

Honestly, getting rid of impossible to escape situations(even if its due to user idiocy) is good design.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

gigglefeimer posted:

This is all true. However, there's really no excuse to have only a single save file at Riovanes because Queklain teaches you in the last chapter that this is a situation that can happen.

"No excuse"? Come on dude, nobody should have to babysit a game to avoid poo poo like this. Don't act like its a part of the gameplay to have this knowledge

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

"No excuse"? Come on dude, nobody should have to babysit a game to avoid poo poo like this. Don't act like its a part of the gameplay to have this knowledge

Eh, I think it's an interesting mechanic that shakes up the gameplay. Series of battles in FFT always feel more important in terms of gameplay and story than standalone battles, and they feel more hard won.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If anything, FFT doesn’t go far enough. It should delete your saves every time you get a Game Over to really make every decision matter.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They should do the same with FF2 but then add a screen that says “We’re doing you a favor.”

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Now Hoshigami was real poo poo. Series of battles with no chance to save, plus it wouldn't fully heal your characters in-between.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

If anything, FFT doesn’t go far enough. It should delete your saves every time you get a Game Over to really make every decision matter.

Square should assassinate a real life friend every time you permanently lose an unit

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

lobster22221 posted:

Honestly, getting rid of impossible to escape situations(even if its due to user idiocy) is good design.

Yeah. It's one of those lessons learned between then and now- letting players screw themselves to the point of needing to restart is bad design except in that rare 1% of 1% of gamespace where failure and restarting is part of the design (design which has no space in a 50+ hour tactical RPG.)

The easy fix is, as said, just let people back out of battle strings if needed, which is something most games after the PSX era tend to allow even if it's completely nonsensical from the plot perspective. Bigger spaces for save files now could also allow for 'quick saves' for mid-series saving, so you don't have to override your main save, but that probably wasn't a convenient option in the days of 15 block memory cards.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

gigglefeimer posted:

Now Hoshigami was real poo poo. Series of battles with no chance to save, plus it wouldn't fully heal your characters in-between.

I recently got a copy of that and I can't wait to play that piece of poo poo.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah. It's one of those lessons learned between then and now- letting players screw themselves to the point of needing to restart is bad design except in that rare 1% of 1% of gamespace where failure and restarting is part of the design (design which has no space in a 50+ hour tactical RPG.)

That 1% of 1% is basically just old school roguelikes and maybe arcade games depending on how you interpret it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
arcade games are vastly better to play in console rereleases where you can add quarters by pressing start tbh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

lobster22221 posted:

That 1% of 1% is basically just old school roguelikes and maybe arcade games depending on how you interpret it.

Also SaGa games~

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Even SaGa and roguelikes have been time-wasting sanitized. Roguelikes are putting their wizard mode further to the front, and the PC release of Last Remnant is probably easier than some FFs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
they've just moved everything insane to the optional parts of the game. you can still fight an impossibly hard enemy who uses crippling attacks, or can wipe your entire party, and you can only beat it 5% of the time if the rng lines up.

just, it's not like a ghost coin on the first screen of the game, or a boss in the middle

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

lobster22221 posted:

Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter, also

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gigglefeimer posted:

Eh, I think it's an interesting mechanic that shakes up the gameplay.

Absolutely not.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I recently got a copy of that and I can't wait to play that piece of poo poo.

I'm sorry. Don't be charmed by its nice spritework and stuff- that game actively hates the player and has so many bad gameplay decisions. Just walk away.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Holy poo poo, Hoshigami hates you so much :allears: There is not a single system in that game that just works without some combination of hellgrinding, knowing exactly what enemies are going to do, and unintuitive bullshit. It is an infuriating game. When I first played it on PSX I complained about it to a friend so much he got me the DS version when it came out as a gag gift; apparently he got it for $5 not long after it came out.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I struggled my way to almost the very end of that game, hour by painstaking hour, only to have my lovely 3rd-party memory card fail and lose all my progress. I think that's what turned me into such a bitter shell of a human being to this day.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Holy poo poo, Hoshigami hates you so much :allears: There is not a single system in that game that just works without some combination of hellgrinding, knowing exactly what enemies are going to do, and unintuitive bullshit. It is an infuriating game. When I first played it on PSX I complained about it to a friend so much he got me the DS version when it came out as a gag gift; apparently he got it for $5 not long after it came out.

I've never heard of it, but googling shows something that looks like a tactical rpg so I'm interested. is it worth it if you put up with grinding?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

lobster22221 posted:

I've never heard of it, but googling shows something that looks like a tactical rpg so I'm interested. is it worth it if you put up with grinding?
No. Nothing about Hoshigami is worth it. I'm not even being hyperbolic, unless you get a sort of masochistic joy from things that are dull at best and torturous at worst, stay away from that game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFT

I just beat the last boss in Orbonne Monastery chapter 3. Managed to snipe him with a summon as he was running away.

What should I do to prepare for the next series of battles? I understand they are pain in the rear end.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

No. Nothing about Hoshigami is worth it. I'm not even being hyperbolic, unless you get a sort of masochistic joy from things that are dull at best and torturous at worst, stay away from that game.

I will defend Hoshigami's RAP system though. Basically it's a way to much more finely tune how much of your unit's 'CT' you spend per turn. So you can potentially attack multiple times, or walk a huge distance, or do something small and get your next turn super quick (whereas in FFT you can only choose to move and/or act to spend 60/80/100 CT). Also the turn order is more visible and convenient to look at.

But yeah overall, the game is a mess.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

FFT

I just beat the last boss in Orbonne Monastery chapter 3. Managed to snipe him with a summon as he was running away.

What should I do to prepare for the next series of battles? I understand they are pain in the rear end.

What's your Ramza look like?
Do you have a high speed unit?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

FFT

The two major things is:

- Ramza is going to have to solo a fairly potent opponent with another difficult fight starting immediately after. Ramza needs to be able set up to either hit REALLY hard while taking at least one shot himself, or be able to kite and run while fighting an attrition war. There are equipment and ability measures you can take to make this much easier but I dunno how spoiler-y you want me to go here.

- You are going to have to do another protect mission that starts in a TERRIBLE situation. This fight is infamous for sometimes being lost before players get a turn. The upside is either way the fight can be super-short. You want somebody FAST who can either move far and hit hard or someone who can pull attention away from the target.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WaltherFeng posted:

FFT

1) buy all gear that maxes your speed possible. this is beyond important.
2) equip Concentrate, and learn all Throws on a ninja
3) equip Teleport to ignore height, walls, and gaps
4) pray

specifically speaking, the "right" way to do the riovanes rooftop battle is to make every character in your party a ninja (just in case of dodge), maximize their speed as hard as possible, and then Throw your strongest shurikens at ONLY ONE of elmdor's assassins. your goal is to reduce one of your enemies' HP to critical range, which ends the fight immediately, but they're geared and statted such that all attacks have like an 80% miss rate. i hope you have a small goat handy in case you need to sacrifice it to satan

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

zedprime posted:

Even SaGa and roguelikes have been time-wasting sanitized. Roguelikes are putting their wizard mode further to the front, and the PC release of Last Remnant is probably easier than some FFs.

Just because Last Remnant is a poorly designed game doesn't mean it's a SaGa game. :colbert: