Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which episode is this?

“Snuggle Time.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also the fact that Total Dramarama retains the whole confessional thing, despite having basically abandoned all pretense of a reality show conceit. Which is weird.

The Office kept it up forever. And idk if Parks & Rec ever had the initial conceit of being a reality show, but both did the same so idk. It's a cheap way to show what a character is thinking without doing the old zoom into their head and have them say what they're thinking in an echo filter

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Xelkelvos posted:

The Office kept it up forever. And idk if Parks & Rec ever had the initial conceit of being a reality show, but both did the same so idk. It's a cheap way to show what a character is thinking without doing the old zoom into their head and have them say what they're thinking in an echo filter

The Office kept it up the whole time, the final season (as far as I'm aware) was all about them dealing with the show finally being aired on TV. P&R was filmed the same way with the talking heads but there was never an in universe thing about them being filmed. I'm glad they didn't bother to try and explain it or anything because the talking heads made P&R even better, and it allowed the cutting away to them feel way more natural than The Office did

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So I can confirm that the Teen Titans Go movie is good. The animation was impressive and It did a great job amplifying all the stuff I liked about the show while minimizing it's more annoying aspects. Having everyone on the team genuinely like each other was a particularly good decision as it made me actually care about them even as they were trying to murder babies and whatnot. I'd definitely recommend it if you're even slightly amused by the source material.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Macaluso posted:

The Office kept it up the whole time, the final season (as far as I'm aware) was all about them dealing with the show finally being aired on TV. P&R was filmed the same way with the talking heads but there was never an in universe thing about them being filmed. I'm glad they didn't bother to try and explain it or anything because the talking heads made P&R even better, and it allowed the cutting away to them feel way more natural than The Office did

I think the first episode of P&R mentioned the in-universe documentary they were "filming" but yeah, I don't think it was ever even hinted at again after that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pakled posted:

I think the first episode of P&R mentioned the in-universe documentary they were "filming" but yeah, I don't think it was ever even hinted at again after that.

The first season of PR is basically an alternate universe considering how they had to redo the characters after that guy left.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
He left in the second season. He's just so unmemorable that you don't even remember him being in that season before shuffling off to the Medium Place where he belongs

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I should probably watch the second season of Parks and Rec, because I hear that it's a lot better and a lot more willing to let its protagonist have a bit of dignity.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

I should probably watch the second season of Parks and Rec, because I hear that it's a lot better and a lot more willing to let its protagonist have a bit of dignity.

It so much better to the point that I would argue that the first season can be skipped completely and you'd lose nothing as far as understanding who the characters are. Leslie doesn't change instantly but her character quickly changes to an amazing strong female lead (in a show full of strong women personalities) instead of the weird Girl Michael Scott thing they were doing. And Andy is VASTLY different and becomes one of the best characters on the show

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah. I know this gets said about a lot of shows, but the first season of Parks and Rec is really not representative of the show as a whole. From the second season onward, it's both way funnier and way more heartfelt.

E: also yeah, as Macaluso said, Andy (Chris Pratt's character) is one of the more remarkable turnarounds between season 1 and 2, in the first one he's a detestable, manipulative jerk, but afterwards he turns into the most lovable oaf and one of the best parts of the show.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 17, 2018

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is there any reason why that guy left in the second season?

Also, I'm seeing that there are 5 seasons of Miraculous but only 2 on netflix? How long will I have to wait for all five seasons to get on US netflix?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TV Zombie posted:

Is there any reason why that guy left in the second season?

The actor was unsatisfied with his role because he felt that his character was kind of pointless and wasn't given anything interesting to do, which was pretty correct.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TV Zombie posted:

Also, I'm seeing that there are 5 seasons of Miraculous but only 2 on netflix? How long will I have to wait for all five seasons to get on US netflix?
Five seasons have been confirmed (ie, network pre-orders and funding are in place to produce them), but it's only up to season 2 as far as broadcasts go. From what's been said by the producers on Twitter and elsewhere, they're currently animating season 3, writing and storyboarding season 4 and planning season 5.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pakled posted:

The actor was unsatisfied with his role because he felt that his character was kind of pointless and wasn't given anything interesting to do, which was pretty correct.
He was basically the competent band-aid that would help Leslie get out of a scrape, and the writers were teasing some labored JimPam relationship between them, right?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FilthyImp posted:

He was basically the competent band-aid that would help Leslie get out of a scrape, and the writers were teasing some labored JimPam relationship between them, right?

Pretty much. In a cast full of people defined by their idiosyncrasies Mark was just the straight man, but that role already covered by and better suited for Ann.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It kinda bugged me with those shows that towards the end, all the interpersonal friction that drove the plot just drained away for no real reason. The characters didn't change, Ron Swanson was just as anti-government-but-within-government as he ever was, but for some reason that just stopped mattering.

The same thing happened with Community and 30 Rock too, the characters just all stopped butting heads and became just good pals, despite having all the same reasons to stay opposed to each other. That was half the fun of the show.

I watched more of Rise of the TMNT, and it's pretty good. Raph, Donny, and April are all pretty fun new takes, but I'm not really a fan of Danny DeVito Splinter. The show kinda feels like it started in the middle of a season somehow.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

It kinda bugged me with those shows that towards the end, all the interpersonal friction that drove the plot just drained away for no real reason. The characters didn't change, Ron Swanson was just as anti-government-but-within-government as he ever was, but for some reason that just stopped mattering.

The same thing happened with Community and 30 Rock too, the characters just all stopped butting heads and became just good pals, despite having all the same reasons to stay opposed to each other. That was half the fun of the show.

Just like any group of people spending lots of time together, eventually they just start getting along as the elements that have bound them overcome anything that might cause friction. Audience likability is also a factor. Also character "depth"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just watched the Monster High movie 13 Wishes on Netflix. It had a lot of interesting aspects, like the idea that as the Finder gets their wishes they slowly become more susceptible to manipulation by the genie's shadow. Also I always enjoy Ghoulia because she physically cannot speak, only able to groan but she is the smartest character in the show.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Something I just realized about Miraculous.
(Spoilers for Hawkmoth's identity, which I'm only spoiling in case people haven't gotten this far.)
Those villain costumes were designed in-story by a fashion designer.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Nearly finished with season 1 of Miraculous and I have questions...I glanced at season 2 and why aren't there as many episodes? Where are the other heroes? How did Hawkmoth get his miraculous?

This show is very addicting...

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I don't think all of season 2 is even finished, and it'll probably be a while before US Netflix gets it :(

S02 is cool so far though with there being more continuity between episodes. I'm crazy excited for more down the line. The news that there are 5 planned seasons set is crazy exciting for me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Season 2 is 25 episodes, of which 23 have been broadcast. The final two-parter is due to go out before the end of the month. :toot:

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Is there any particular order to watch Miraculous in? Or is it just a case of clicking on it on Netflix and letting it do the work. I keep seeing posts in this thread complaining of stuff airing out of order.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I think you can watch season 1 straight through since it seems like monster of the week type stuff till the last couple of episodes where they briefly go over the origins of the protagonist and hint at the antagonist's identity. I can't speak for season 2.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Season 1 order:
Doesn't matter what you start with, but the intended last 3 episodes are Volpina and the Origins two-parter. Netflix has the two-parter in the middle which works just as well. Just watch Volpina last if you watch Origins before it because it leads directly into season 2.

The christmas special aired between the two seasons but can really be watched whenever.

Season 2 order:
Absolutely start with The Collector, which literally starts right off of where Volpina left off. Release order works fine just make sure to watch Style Queen/Queen Wasp/Malediktator in that order and Reverser is supposed to come out after that (Queen Wasp is represented in it) but it aired before so it doesn't matter.

They are releasing season 2 in two chunks; the first half was released already, the second half is almost complete.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is there an adult animation thread? I need somewhere to share this trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4QEuY4IeU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The_Doctor posted:

Is there an adult animation thread? I need somewhere to share this trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4QEuY4IeU

It's not strictly adult animation but there's an animation thread in CineD.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hilda is a beautiful show. I love that animation.
Also it somehow reminds me of the game Celeste, which I'm very fond of.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The penultimate Miraculous of season 2 just came out (in French, but hey, sometimes machine translation is good enough to get the gist across).

Wow, Hawk Moth is not piss-arsing around this time. He finally realised that his usual MO of "create a wacky villain who will inevitably get punked in a fight by Ladybug and Cat Noir, then rant impotently about it afterwards" just wasn't cutting it, so did something about it. And even though he's obviously somehow going to be defeated - otherwise there's no longer a show - the way he did it changes the power dynamic so much that there's nothing to stop him from doing it over and over and over again until he really does win, unless something seriously bad happens to Natalie.

BTW, the only spoiler I had going in was that Natalie is akumatised, and I'd recommend that (or less) as the best way to watch it because there are some great surprises. Lila's finally back and giving Chloe a run for her money in the horrible little poo poo stakes, for a start.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's the gravity and volume on the hair.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Catalyst was a super neat episode and I'm excited for part 2.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I thought Welcome to the Wayne was dead, but it came back for a mid-season finale after like ten years. Did that show ever get good?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

The penultimate Miraculous of season 2 just came out (in French, but hey, sometimes machine translation is good enough to get the gist across).

Wow, Hawk Moth is not piss-arsing around this time. He finally realised that his usual MO of "create a wacky villain who will inevitably get punked in a fight by Ladybug and Cat Noir, then rant impotently about it afterwards" just wasn't cutting it, so did something about it. And even though he's obviously somehow going to be defeated - otherwise there's no longer a show - the way he did it changes the power dynamic so much that there's nothing to stop him from doing it over and over and over again until he really does win, unless something seriously bad happens to Natalie.

BTW, the only spoiler I had going in was that Natalie is akumatised, and I'd recommend that (or less) as the best way to watch it because there are some great surprises. Lila's finally back and giving Chloe a run for her money in the horrible little poo poo stakes, for a start.

This, holy crap. Its like every fanwhine 'why doesn't Hawkmoth just' was answered with 'oh, you actually want him to try? Here, here's Hawkmoth trying. Have fun with that.' Seriously go into it unspoiled, its a treat. I think my kids and my jaws dropped three separate times.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Oracle posted:

This, holy crap. Its like every fanwhine 'why doesn't Hawkmoth just' was answered with 'oh, you actually want him to try? Here, here's Hawkmoth trying. Have fun with that.' Seriously go into it unspoiled, its a treat. I think my kids and my jaws dropped three separate times.
Even though akumatised Ladybug killing Cat Noir with his own Cataclysm was an illusion without any attempt to trick the audience about it, it was shocking in a way that the show never has been before. That's on top of a whole bunch of character and plot threads suddenly all being pulled on at once. I like this new "you want stuff to build on itself and actually matter? Hold on tight, then" Miraculous.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The back half of Ladybubs season 2 has been considerably better than the first half. We're finally getting to the fireworks factory and it's wonderful.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

TV Zombie posted:

Nearly finished with season 1 of Miraculous and I have questions...I glanced at season 2 and why aren't there as many episodes? Where are the other heroes? How did Hawkmoth get his miraculous?

This show is very addicting...

In order:
1) Twelve S2 episodes are on Netflix at the moment; the second half of S2 has been trickling out bit by bit. I mean literally bit by bit; we're not sure about the date, the country, the network or the LANGUAGE that a new episode will be in. The second half of S2 will go onto Netflix at some point. If you don't want to wait, you can poke around on YouTube and find them, though sometimes they're in pieces or subtitled.
2) One of the other heroes (Rena Rouge) makes her debut in one of the on-Netflix episodes. The other two debut in much more recent episodes that aren't on there yet.
3) Hawkmoth's origins, even once his identity is known, are somewhat ambiguous. There is a safe in his home that has material relating to Tibet in it, plus a second item that will figure HEAVILY into the season finale / Season 3, and hopefully that will be explored further therein.

TheHeadSage posted:

Is there any particular order to watch Miraculous in? Or is it just a case of clicking on it on Netflix and letting it do the work. I keep seeing posts in this thread complaining of stuff airing out of order.

Here's the thing about Miraculous. The creator (Thomas Astruc, who is a wonderfully snarky bastard on Twitter) has explained that the show is not meant to be a serial plotline, since they have little to no control over the actual airing of the episodes, or in some cases the production of the episodes. This can happen when you're using multiple animation teams in multiple countries to produce a show for multiple languages. So how do you make things happen that matter that way, instead of it being like Scooby-Doo where every episode is in a complete vacuum?

He's referred to it as a 'mosaic' approach. The episodes at the start and finish of the season are the only ones they know for sure will absolutely be in a prescribed order, so those are the 'frames'. The 'middle' episodes each contribute a piece to the overall season picture, then the frame goes in place and you go "ah, look at all the things that built up to that season closer" and enjoy the big picture and then it's hiatus time until the next season.

Some of the 'middle' episodes do build on each other to some degree, or at least refer to each other, so the production order is at least a decent guideline. Hence Chloe's teddy bear debuts in Despair Bear and makes an appearance in Frightningale, a character debuts in Sapotis and makes a couple of appearances in later S2 episodes, a character debuts in Captain Hardrock and another in Repulse and both play a significant role in Frozer. There are certain things that would make no sense if transposed; for instance, there's a big plot element in Syren that HAS to happen before Frozer. But if you're looking for a smooth plot progression where characters noticeably develop over time and each episode refers to the previous one's events, you're going to be disappointed because the show's simply not set up that way until the very end of each season, with the exception of Style Queen/Queen Wasp as a two-parter. This makes fans scream because they're dying for actual progression of the Love Square and it creeps along at a glacial pace.

So the short version is: if you're willing to wait for the rest of Season 2 on Netflix, you should be able to binge through it in the order they give you when it arrives. If you're picking off episodes on YouTube, you can probably still go by the airing order and not feel like you're out of step.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

And usually they drop the half-season on Netflix around/just after the Christmas holidays. There's only one new unseen anywhere episode left to air and they usually don't put it on Netflix until that's happened so that timeline should hold.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I hope this will be as silly as it should be:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-original-animated-teen-titans-will-return-for-teen-1829994160

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Glad to see some more love for this. If I remember correctly, it seemed to get a kind of lukewarm reception around here (maybe it was in another thread?). Anyway, I really enjoyed it as something calming to watch before going to sleep. The soft music and art style were warm milk for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I really like Hilda! After watching the first ep I decided not to watch more than one ep a day because it's a nice feel good show that makes me smile, which, as it's October, is a perfect way for me to cap off the day if I watched too many horror films. Unfortunately I only have two eps left :(