Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

The really annoying thing is when you do check the cables before you call tech support and they make you check the cables again only this time it works. :argh:

The more I deal with technology the more I'm convinced that everything is four dimensional. Like when you try to put a USB thing in and it doesn't go. So you turn it over. And it doesn't go. So you turn it back over and it fits.

Like...what in the actual gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Programs that use file explorers where you can't input the destination folder into the address bar.
Great, thanks. It'll be fun to navigate from my computer, through the files manually, yet again, because I can't just c/p it in.
And at the same time they'll usually not remember the previous location, or allow you to save shortcuts.

e: bonus pet peeve:
Children screaming around in the streets, and then their terrible parents screaming at them louder to make them quiet. (Gee I wonder where they get it from.)

SubNat has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Oct 20, 2018

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Riatsala posted:

"Instead of using turmeric I squatted, pantless, over a running food processor and slowly lowered my testicles in :( 0/5"

Every. loving. time.

I feel these may be the same people who respond to questions on Amazon items with "I don't know, I haven't received the item yet."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sunswipe posted:

I feel these may be the same people who respond to questions on Amazon items with "I don't know, I haven't received the item yet."

I've heard that the explanation for that is that Amazon sends out emails asking people who've bought things to answer questions, and less savvy users think they're being asked personally.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, that's my understanding as well.

So the pet peeve should really be lovely companies like Amazon trying to outsource as much actual customer support / info handling as possible to their customers, instead of employees.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

SubNat posted:

e: bonus pet peeve:
Children screaming around in the streets, and then their terrible parents screaming at them louder to make them quiet. (Gee I wonder where they get it from.)

It's the circle of life, man. I used to teach elementary school and the number of parents completely bewildered by the idea that their children emulate their behaviors both good and bad was a constant source of frustration.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Well the peeve the other way around is a very old classic one for a reason. A lot of people really did already try the genius ideas of "unplug everything and plug it back in again", "reboot the computer", "check to see if it's plugged in" etc and want to skip the first 15 minutes of your script and get you to send a tech out.

I remember, very fondly. a tech support call I took for a modem issue years ago. It was Lucent Win modem. A complete piece of trash but it came with all of our computers.

I asked the guy, "Is the line from the wall plugged into the 'line' port on the modem?" He very angrily said "I was a telephone repairman for 40 years. I know what I'm doing."

So I went with it, using Hyperterminal to try to do a loop back, no dice. Reinstalling drivers, diddling with settings, doing absurd things to try to get it to work. It's a Win modem so drivers can make it so that you can't use a straight dial tone to confirm because the modem just isn't responding in that it's a software piece of poo poo.

Finally I say, "I know it's stupid, and I know you already checked, but can you please just fully unplug and re-seat the phone line into the "line" jack. He grumbled with me about it but put the phone down and actually did it.

He came back and apologized profusely. It was plugged into the "phone" jack on the modem. We had a great laugh about it. It happens to the best of us. That's why I always follow the tech's instructions when I call into support. The more you know, the more likely you are to miss the most simple problem..

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Steam reviews are the loving worst. It's everything that's terrible about reddit comment sections; they're generally un-moderated, un-curated and given merit and visibility by vote alone. It makes it incredible susceptible to moronic strings of repetitive memes, in-jokes, and even political soap boxing.

This isn't a fresh take, but I mention it because Halo Wars, a former Xbox exclusive, was recently ported to PC along with some visual and QoL upgrades. Is it worth getting? Who loving knows, the entire review board is a string of mouth breathers demanding that Steam port the rest of the Halo series to PC.

So I guess my pet peeve is that being helpful or insightful or even expressing a relevant opinion is not considered worthwhile.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Riatsala posted:

Steam reviews are the loving worst. It's everything that's terrible about reddit comment sections; they're generally un-moderated, un-curated and given merit and visibility by vote alone. It makes it incredible susceptible to moronic strings of repetitive memes, in-jokes, and even political soap boxing.

This isn't a fresh take, but I mention it because Halo Wars, a former Xbox exclusive, was recently ported to PC along with some visual and QoL upgrades. Is it worth getting? Who loving knows, the entire review board is a string of mouth breathers demanding that Steam port the rest of the Halo series to PC.

So I guess my pet peeve is that being helpful or insightful or even expressing a relevant opinion is not considered worthwhile.

Rome total war 2 steam reviews crashed from “mostly good” to “mostly bad” overnight because they added female characters that made some nazi website mad.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I work in social media customer service and it feels like everything is a pet peeve I didn't know I had.

On Twitter:

"Grr, this product is the worst and it almost killed my chinchilla!"

"Oh no, Tim! Please DM us with some more information on what happened, including where you bought the product!"

"OK!" *Copy-pastes tweet into a DM, adding nothing*

[Fifteen minutes later]

"OMG you people told me to DM you and now you REFUSE to help me??? Some customer service!"

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

For the first few months after release, the Steam reviews for Okami were almost entirely people giving it a thumbs down and acting like it was unplayable because it's a 30 FPS game. Nothing about the gameplay or how good of a port it was, just 30 FPS IT'S poo poo CAN'T PLAY IT. Basically the equivalent of Amazon reviews where they give the product one star because it broke when they threw it at their tile floor.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rome total war 2 steam reviews crashed from “mostly good” to “mostly bad” overnight because they added female characters that made some nazi website mad.

Lmao

Company of Heroes 2 has like a 1.6 on metacritic because some popular russian blogger didn't like all the anti-NKVD "propaganda"

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

For the first few months after release, the Steam reviews for Okami were almost entirely people giving it a thumbs down and acting like it was unplayable because it's a 30 FPS game. Nothing about the gameplay or how good of a port it was, just 30 FPS IT'S poo poo CAN'T PLAY IT. Basically the equivalent of Amazon reviews where they give the product one star because it broke when they threw it at their tile floor.

I would hate to make video games for a living. "gamers" have to be the most capricious, fragile, moronic group of people on planet earth.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

My friend of over ten years won’t play console games online with us anymore because his computer can run everything better. He’s totally missing the point of why we get together online in the first place. We all live in different cities now, I miss you guys and this helps you idiot.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yeah, I play Diablo 3 online with friends not because it's a great game but because it's a tolerable skinner box I can interact with while shooting the poo poo with them.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Stairs posted:

loving recipe reviews.

"Five stars! Great recipe! I changed it a bit by using chicken instead of beef, added four cups of onions, omitted all the pepper and cumin, and turned it into a soup. So yummy!"

"This is a terrible recipe, I would never make it again. Followed the directions except I didn't have any beef so I used canned tuna, and I didn't have an iron skillet so I used a rusty muffin tin, and I didn't have any of the spices so I added a ramen packet. It had no flavor and my husband cried."

You. Didn't. Make. This. Recipe.

One of the Schadenfreude thread's greatest hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQAauVu2sTg

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Riatsala posted:

I would hate to make video games for a living. "gamers" have to be the most capricious, fragile, moronic group of people on planet earth.

Hear, Hear.
I pivoted from 'hey i wanna do gamedev.' to 'hey i wanna make realtime visualizations/VR' partly because of that.
The other part was because I took a 1 year course in gamedev during my gap year and it hit me very hard what kind of people I'd be spending the next few decades with, if I decided to go towards games.

As for peeves: Technical support forums for complex programs, like Unreal.
The forums are nigh unusable, and unless you stumble over it by accident it's impossible to find discussion about anything.
Because 99% of the threads are people asking for support with 1 small issue they have, instead of googling.
Just rows after rows after rows of 0-2 reply threads with a few views each.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
"You always [bad thing I've done maybe twice in my life]"

"You never [good thing I've done hundreds of times, sometimes right before this sentence is said]"

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

SubNat posted:

Hear, Hear.
I pivoted from 'hey i wanna do gamedev.' to 'hey i wanna make realtime visualizations/VR' partly because of that.
The other part was because I took a 1 year course in gamedev during my gap year and it hit me very hard what kind of people I'd be spending the next few decades with, if I decided to go towards games.

I am actually a bit interested in knowing about this since I would assume the people who want to make games would be less entitled. Speaking of consumers. The smallest changes to an MMO makes gamers rage. Now I might use WoW as a really extreme example of this, but every single change means a huge part (or at least the very vocal minority) of the community loses their poo poo. This is usually without thinking it through for two seconds and perhaps realizing that the people making the game might see the bigger picture better than a 18-24 year old who uses his spare time to roam on 4chan or Reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkY0iOAfZ74

However, most of the rage over Skyrim has been pretty fair though, especially when it came to how SSE was handled.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Recurring itches. Recently I've been getting this sudden, powerful itch righhht at the top of my asscrack. Not deep enough to get into smelly territory, but far enough below the waistline that I don't want to go digging in there when I'm at the playground with my daughter or sitting at a cafe. It doesn't seem to matter how many hours since I showered, the only person who I trust to look at my crack doesn't see any irritation, and it's not even constant. It just suddenly decides it's PRIORITY NERVE ONE and takes over my brain with itch signals. I have one on my very upper back that does that too, but I've sort of learned to ignore that as it's impossible to really get at without a shower brush so it's become background madness.

Skin loving sucks, nerves are bad, and I just want to feel not itchy for a moment.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

People who think reductio ad absurdum is logical fallacy and bring it up like the ignorant fuckwads they are when their terrible logic gets pointed out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ItBreathes posted:

People who think reductio ad absurdum is logical fallacy and bring it up like the ignorant fuckwads they are when their terrible logic gets pointed out.

On the internet, someone mentioning a logical fallacy is on the same level as "SJW" or "this troper" in terms of "eyes glaze over, never ever reading this"

Also, once a month or so I get a massive craving for Subway. Why, body? There are like five different fast food sandwich places with better food nearby.

E: in Subway's credit, this also happens occasionally with Big Macs. Thing is, after eating Subway, like today, I'm satisfied. I enjoyed it well enough. If I break down and get a Big Mac, as soon as I'm done, I wish I had wasted that money on any other burger. Cost isn't even justification to get McD's anymore, a Big Mac meal is like 10 bucks. That's like, counter-service actual decent burger place price.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Oct 23, 2018

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

ItBreathes posted:

Thing about logical fallacies is that you should know them so so you can recognize them and avoid making them. However, bingo booking or using it to "win" arguments is dumb as poo poo.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

On the internet, someone mentioning a logical fallacy is on the same level as "SJW" or "this troper" in terms of "eyes glaze over, never ever reading this"

Also, once a month or so I get a massive craving for Subway. Why, body? There are like five different fast food sandwich places with better food nearby.

E: in Subway's credit, this also happens occasionally with Big Macs. Thing is, after eating Subway, like today, I'm satisfied. I enjoyed it well enough. If I break down and get a Big Mac, as soon as I'm done, I wish I had wasted that money on any other burger. Cost isn't even justification to get McD's anymore, a Big Mac meal is like 10 bucks. That's like, counter-service actual decent burger place price.

me, but with taco bell's lovely crunchwraps. They're so bad but I have a mighty need

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The health food industry and fad diets are a loving blight on society. At least once a week I find myself sifting through page after page of cookie cutter woo blogs trying to find the answer to what should be a simple question.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who disappear after dropping a massive cliffhanger message/text on you, and then bitch at you for bothering them for updates. If you're going to text me saying you're worried about a mutual friend killing themselves, don't just gently caress off and do your shopping for 2 hours and ignore my calls and just say "oh, it was a false alarm, sorry forgot to tell u lol".

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Whiz Palace posted:

"You always [bad thing I've done maybe twice in my life]"

"You never [good thing I've done hundreds of times, sometimes right before this sentence is said]"

Sorry you dated my ex, I should have warned you :(

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who disappear after dropping a massive cliffhanger message/text on you, and then bitch at you for bothering them for updates. If you're going to text me saying you're worried about a mutual friend killing themselves, don't just gently caress off and do your shopping for 2 hours and ignore my calls and just say "oh, it was a false alarm, sorry forgot to tell u lol".

I have a current tutoring student who does this all the drat time. “Hey I need to reschedule for this afternoon”, I reply, he replies after his scheduled session.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My partner's little sister just completed her first online job application, to Walgreens. Woo, awsome, gj, I'm sitting here up with her, wait no oh for gently caress's sake

Application Complete...100%!

Now we would like you to take an assessment before you can be considered for employment at our company.

If you are ready, you can start now

another fuckin generation another this

for gods gently caress no sake god no please not this

please girl do not pick "yes I would" to the question "you see another co-worker sacrificing the live lobsters to Satan while asking another co-worker to shoplift, and then they ask you to join in while screaming racial slurs at a customer, do you join in:

yes
no
i tell a manager

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Oct 24, 2018

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I though those were mostly there to check for self awareness and to see if you are BSing by telling them only what they want to hear.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Those tests are meant to be obvious while telling the applicant how they needed to act. It's a control tool created by psychologists or something. gently caress those things.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I always lie on those and feel gross. I swear, they're only there to weed out applicants and to add like 30-45 minutes to the application process.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's just as soon as I thought I was away from those things, they rear their stupid rear end heads again. gently caress em and gently caress companies that use em, girl just wants a drat job.

I almost find them oppressive, like, you're trying to fill out job apps to be productive but STOP! SPEND 45 MINUTES DOING THIS STUPID TEST ABOUT WHETHER YOU WOULD SHANK THE MANAGER FOR FIVE BUCKS!!

It's an aggressively useless timewaster that actively impedes productive applicants.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
They're counter productive in that the people most willing to lie their faces off are the ones who will do the best.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Basically everyone alive knows and agrees that you'd take home plastic cutlery to avoid dishwashing but would not steal from the register while cackling.

I assume someone gets weeded out but who and why? Does choosing the "tell manager" option help or harm you? Who chooses to tell their prospective employer they'd happily steal? Do those people get hired? Does admitting that you love stealing and would gently caress everyone as hard and often as possible get you immediately hired on as CEO?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I always put that I wouldn't take part in it and also tell a manager so they know I am both unwilling to break the rules and willing to throw other employees under the bus to ingratiate myself to the management.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Who chooses to tell their prospective employer they'd happily steal? Do those people get hired?

Stupid people, and no, respectively. Besides weeding out the terminally dumb I have no idea what they're trying to accomplish, though I've only seen them on jobs where 'doesn't steal' is about the only qualification needed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ItBreathes posted:

Besides weeding out the terminally dumb I have no idea what they're trying to accomplish
Just cut down the number of applicants that a human has to sift through, I think. They know they're going to get way more than they need or want so they make you jump through hoops just to reduce the numbers.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

ItBreathes posted:

Stupid people, and no, respectively. Besides weeding out the terminally dumb I have no idea what they're trying to accomplish, though I've only seen them on jobs where 'doesn't steal' is about the only qualification needed.

In my experience, they are also to make sure that you lie to OSHA if questioned. Back when I worked at Kmart 20 some years ago, I had a follow up test a few weeks after I started. It had questions like "It's OK to use a 4 high as a ladder. Y/N" (those are the 4 wheeled carts used for stocking.) You had to answer "no" even though you were taught to use them as ladders all the time. They also had "It's OK to climb the racking in the stock room to throw down boxes to a coworker. Y/N" Once again, we were trained to do that.

They had other things about team lifting which was actively discouraged, pushing no more than X amount of carts at a time which was a lie in that we were required to push as many carts at a time as was possible. Sometimes from a quarter mile distance as the Kmart was at one end of a mall and the bastard customers would drag them all the way to the other end of the entire mall, literally testing your ability to lie to OSHA.

Kmart won't fire you even if you ask your manager to fire you in front of a customer. Even if you insult Kmart right to a customer with your manager watching. Even if you insult the customer themselves. The managers themselves wish they could be fired but there's no one to do it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh my God, cart corraling was the worst part of working at a trader Joe's. Across the plaza, across the street and upside-down at a bus stop, halfway up a snowbank, etc.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Fitted sheets. Why do they have to be such an exact fit? Make that poo poo 5% oversized so I can just slip it on instead of having to slowly work it on over the course of 20 minutes. Every time I change my sheets I end up pissed off.

I'd rather just have two flat sheets but bed sheet sets are never sold that way, so I'd have to buy twice as many sets and have a bunch of fitted sheets and pillowcases I never use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fitted sheets. Why do they have to be such an exact fit? Make that poo poo 5% oversized so I can just slip it on instead of having to slowly work it on over the course of 20 minutes. Every time I change my sheets I end up pissed off.
No, make them tighter so I don't make huge wrinkles and pleats under me every time I roll over! :mad: