Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Every time Todd Haley and Hue are onscreen together in Hard Knocks you can just smell the resentment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I have no clue how credible this source is so boulder of salt and all, but

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1054166437626044417

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Benne posted:

I have no clue how credible this source is so boulder of salt and all, but

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1054166437626044417

Hue is only here because the Haslams said he gets another season. If Jimmy has flipped Hue has no protection.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Everything's fine

https://twitter.com/tonygrossi/status/1054116992565895168?s=21

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/RobertKlemko/status/1054175981185855488

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tomorrow's Hue's birthday

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Chris James 2 posted:

Tomorrow's Hue's birthday

Will Halslam pull an Eric Bischoff?

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Jim Schwartz: as you can see, when the front 4 generate pressure, my scheme of having the corners play off and bite on the first move is very effective.

Kirk Van Houten: But what about when the front 4 doesn't get pressure and the receivers run double moves?

Schwartz: Well, the secondary....then they'll just uh...

Kirk: Uh, excuse me, you didn't answer me. You just trailed off.

Schwartz: Yeah, I kind of did trail off there.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Marvin really wants to jump back in Mild, doesn't he

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Yeah I get that the team is tanking and blah blah blah next year. But getting blown out like that?

Its loving disgraceful.

And if you are a coach who just got his rear end handed to him by a 1-5 team I dont want to hear about how credit goes to the Colts. Not from him.

The truth is many of these blowouts are due to not only substandard talent but poor preparation and adjustment. Its hard to believe in McDermott's process for the future when he cant even line up his own players.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Benne posted:

Marvin really wants to jump back in Mild, doesn't he

Obviously the Chiefs are going to put up a billion points no matter what. But not putting up some points of your own on KC’s poo poo D... yikes.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

The Browns are a well coached team

https://twitter.com/ScottSBucs/status/1054199430126190592

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Pretty amazing to make the worst defense in the NFL look passable.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wandler20 posted:

Pretty amazing to make the worst defense in the NFL look passable.

I mean passing is a major part of the game.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

MD2020 posted:

Jim Schwartz: as you can see, when the front 4 generate pressure, my scheme of having the corners play off and bite on the first move is very effective.

Kirk Van Houten: But what about when the front 4 doesn't get pressure and the receivers run double moves?

Schwartz: Well, the secondary....then they'll just uh...

Kirk: Uh, excuse me, you didn't answer me. You just trailed off.

Schwartz: Yeah, I kind of did trail off there.

I think the Wide-9 front is just really hard to base your defensive scheme around. It's possible to have a good defense, but it's a real loving tightrope between personnel and the lack of versatility.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think the Wide-9 front is just really hard to base your defensive scheme around. It's possible to have a good defense, but it's a real loving tightrope between personnel and the lack of versatility.
Yeah. It seems like a good wrinkle to break out now and again, as opposed to the basis of a defensive scheme. It's a shame Schwartz is so wedded to it, because he would otherwise be the perfect defensive coordinator.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I feel like the Bengals are due for one of the offseasons where they force out Lewis, trade Andy to the Bucs or something, bring in an actual GM, hire Lincoln Riley, then make a run at a top QB in the draft and just completely re-tool the team.

Or they will finish 10-6 with a first round playoff exit and Marvin Lewis will live another year.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Have you paid attention to the bengals at all for the past 14 years

It will definitely not be the first one

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

a patagonian cavy posted:

Have you paid attention to the bengals at all for the past 14 years

It will definitely not be the first one

I know, he probably should be though. I remember when the Bengals were a laughing stock years ago and he got them to a competitive and they will probably still finish with a winning record this year. It still feels like they are never going to be more then the 4th seed and out in the first round of the playoffs though.

In other news, Garrett might actually be in trouble

https://twitter.com/1053SS/status/1054404188984225793

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the problem with the Bengals is how do you bring in both a coach and a gm who can be as effective as Marvin Lewis while having to work with cheap dumbass meddling owner Mike Brown. I don't know if it's possible

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Yeah. It seems like a good wrinkle to break out now and again, as opposed to the basis of a defensive scheme. It's a shame Schwartz is so wedded to it, because he would otherwise be the perfect defensive coordinator.

If you want to do stick to the philosophical tenets that Jim Schwartz is trying to hit with the Wide-9 front, you should be running a loving 3-4.

The whole front came about in the first place because Schwartz saw that the Patriots could basically kill the early 2000's Colts stretch zone/play action play assemblage because they could use wide edge defenders to set a hard edge, whereas a normal 4-3 Over front that the Titans were running had to like do this perfectly disciplined chase/pursuit thing off tackle that got them out of position for play action. So they just widened the edges to kill outside runs use it to let their interior defenders attack downhill.

But meanwhile you can't really run a lot of other formations or run defense concepts, you can't run split safety looks outside of obvious passing situations, it's a pain in the rear end to run dime packages, etc. and so on. Meanwhile a 3-4 can do all of that stuff pretty easily, and you got Wade Phillips out here letting his guys in the middle attacking the line of scrimmage just as hard as you wanna do.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Unless the Jaguars lose out or get blown out a bunch I dont see Marrone getting canned. He has the injury card and he got the team to the AFCG last year after a decade of futility, so he will get a third full year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

so Hue Jackson back to surface of the loving sun

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Unless the Jaguars lose out or get blown out a bunch I dont see Marrone getting canned. He has the injury card and he got the team to the AFCG last year after a decade of futility, so he will get a third full year.

They must know they have to move on from Bort after this year, right?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

You'd think so, but whatever happens it seems like Marrone's maybe just slightly below Andy Reid/Bill Belichick safe with the way Shahid Khan treated Gus Bradley.

I guess if they have a full on mutiny like the Raiders did with Callahan that could change things, but it feels like it'd need to be something along those lines where players just refuse to play or something.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 23, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Catfish Noodlin posted:

If you want to do stick to the philosophical tenets that Jim Schwartz is trying to hit with the Wide-9 front, you should be running a loving 3-4.

The whole front came about in the first place because Schwartz saw that the Patriots could basically kill the early 2000's Colts stretch zone/play action play assemblage because they could use wide edge defenders to set a hard edge, whereas a normal 4-3 Over front that the Titans were running had to like do this perfectly disciplined chase/pursuit thing off tackle that got them out of position for play action. So they just widened the edges to kill outside runs use it to let their interior defenders attack downhill.

But meanwhile you can't really run a lot of other formations or run defense concepts, you can't run split safety looks outside of obvious passing situations, it's a pain in the rear end to run dime packages, etc. and so on. Meanwhile a 3-4 can do all of that stuff pretty easily, and you got Wade Phillips out here letting his guys in the middle attacking the line of scrimmage just as hard as you wanna do.

That's a good explanation, I agree that the wide 9 is mostly just a gimmick, it may be very effective in limited situations but overall it just doesn't make sense. If you have an upright guy on the edge (you need talent here obviously, both strength and speed) he can accomplish the same thing as a wide 9 and a lot more on top of that. I just don't see why that edge defender needs to be a down lineman.

Now whether a certain team has the talent on defense to successfully run a 3-4 can only be answered on a case by case basis. But the wide 9 is this weird in-between thing that is less effective than both 4-3 and 3-4 against most types of plays.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I agree but it's starting to seem like a lot of this will be who gets the blame for blindly sticking with Bortles. If Marrone was the biggest influence in that decision, that's a very bad look for him. I still think another year (at the very least) is basically a sure thing, but after that whatever they manage to do at the QB position will have a lot of bearing on Marrone's future.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I sure hope so but again I think the injury card will get played. They have admitted that they know Bort is not an elite passer and that they want to run a lot. With the injuries to the OL, Bort has been running for his life again and it shows - more turnovers and bad passes. With the injuries to RB and OL there has been almost no running game to speak of, especially because the defense has inexplicably fell back to earth HARD and have let the team get down by double digits after the first two drives the past three weeks.

The team has a dearth of top level offensive talent, especially pass-catching talent (despite paying Donte Moncreif 10mil this year). Management let Allen Robinson walk, cut Allen Hurns, then Marquise Lee goes on IR in preseason and now ASF is on IR, too. Kody Kessler threw a pick off of a bobbled pass - not his fault at all.

I am by no means trying to defend Bort and unless he turns it around fast he will have to go, but management put him in this position. Last year they let Kelvin Beachum walk after a year....his first post ACL tear recovery year. He is now starting and playing well (as best as I can tell) on the Jets. He had a pretty team friendly contract....why let him go? You trade for a guy that retires (Albert) and draft a project LT in the second round. That rookie LT played lights out last year, but this year goes on IR and the ancient RT is struggling mightily. The backup LT is, well, a backup, and now he is on IR too. Now you have a guy playing LT who never played a snap at LT before the 4th preseason game. Thats on management, management that knows Bort melts under pressure.

edit: Oh and they signed a castoff from the Giants, who have a bottom five OL, as tackle depth lmao

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

The problem with moving on this off season is your betting on Kessler or trading for Bridgewater. The draft class is producing guys that are going to be desperation overdrafts.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I thought Teddy was on a one year deal?

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Play posted:

That's a good explanation, I agree that the wide 9 is mostly just a gimmick, it may be very effective in limited situations but overall it just doesn't make sense. If you have an upright guy on the edge (you need talent here obviously, both strength and speed) he can accomplish the same thing as a wide 9 and a lot more on top of that. I just don't see why that edge defender needs to be a down lineman.

Now whether a certain team has the talent on defense to successfully run a 3-4 can only be answered on a case by case basis. But the wide 9 is this weird in-between thing that is less effective than both 4-3 and 3-4 against most types of plays.

The Wide-9 only really works situationally (I think, anyway) because you need really particular talent at defensive tackle to make it work, both to gum up the interior of the line enough so the outside guys can get home or being able to handle double teams on both pass and run plays. Schwartz got away with it in Tennessee because Haynesworth was a pretty good player when he was motivated to be one, and it was semi-successful with the Lions because Suh and Fairley was an extremely talented DT duo. When you don't have that DT talent, you end up with the 2011 Eagles, who were absolutely wretched against the run because their DTs and LBs were outmatched for what they were being asked to do.

It's worthwhile as a wrinkle for both a 4-3 and 3-4 defense, but I think it's just too inflexible to base an entire defensive philosophy off, for the most part.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

indigi posted:

I thought Teddy was on a one year deal?

The team can option him for 2 more years if I understand his deal correctly.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I’m not sure how voidable years work but the Jets definitely signed him to a 1 year deal and the Saints added 2 voidable years in order lower his cap hit. Pretty sure he’s a FA after this year.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Nick Foles will be available next year as well, as the Eagles won't keep him for $20 million in 2019.

"Jags sign former SB MVP QB" not the worst off-season headline if they're ready to move on from Bortles.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Durandal1707 posted:

The Wide-9 only really works situationally (I think, anyway) because you need really particular talent at defensive tackle to make it work, both to gum up the interior of the line enough so the outside guys can get home or being able to handle double teams on both pass and run plays. Schwartz got away with it in Tennessee because Haynesworth was a pretty good player when he was motivated to be one, and it was semi-successful with the Lions because Suh and Fairley was an extremely talented DT duo. When you don't have that DT talent, you end up with the 2011 Eagles, who were absolutely wretched against the run because their DTs and LBs were outmatched for what they were being asked to do.

It's worthwhile as a wrinkle for both a 4-3 and 3-4 defense, but I think it's just too inflexible to base an entire defensive philosophy off, for the most part.

I think there's an onus on Wide-9 fronts to have good defensive tackles, but there's also a really broad latitude in terms of what those defensive tackles look and play like. Either Maurice Hurst or Vita Vea would have been appropriate buys for the same position in the scheme- you just need players who can beat blocks vs. the run and the pass, and you don't really care too much how they do it. They're basically set loose to be destructive in whatever way they can be, and in some cases even just normal concepts of gap discipline don't have to apply- The Titans couldn't even trust Albert Haynesworth to stay in a gap, so they had Keith Bulluck basically read and react off of where he ended up rather than having normal responsibilities.

That's whats galling about the Dolphins- they've got this scheme that they can take really talented interior players at let them loose, and they've basically decided that instead they're going to use it to get by with misfit toys. Davon Godchaux is basically a run-down only guy that plays more like a nose tackle than anything, Vincent Taylor is good but probably not going to be dominating, and Akeem Spence is basically a failed Tampa-2 style nose tackle who doesn't have the physical characteristics to work in a more typical defense.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Hue might suck

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1055200248078000135

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd imagine the Browns are comfortably ahead in the penalties per minute category though.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Nah it aint Hue it's the lousey worthless players, that's what he told me and I believe him

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I swear Hue was a hot coaching commodity like five years ago, didn't he tear it up as the interim coach of the Raiders or something? Then he got to Cleveland and his stock went into the loving ground.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I swear Hue was a hot coaching commodity like five years ago, didn't he tear it up as the interim coach of the Raiders or something? Then he got to Cleveland and his stock went into the loving ground.

he went loving insane in oakland and traded like 2 1sts or something for Carson Palmer after Al Davis died.

this was also after carson palmer "retired" in that he refused to play football for the bengals and they had his contract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

A big flaming stink posted:

this was also after carson palmer "retired" in that he refused to play football for the bengals and they had his contract

First and a conditional second that could have turned into a first if the Raiders made the playoffs in the first year I think?

My favorite part of that story will always be that Mike Brown needed to be talked into taking it. He was so set on screwing over Palmer that his first thought was making sure he never played another down rather than accept amazing compensation for a dead (to him) asset.