Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Teeth like a vandalised graveyard.

https://i.imgur.com/bfCbSxH.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Great form

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Can we please just all be good friends, thanks.

I had a lovely bench day. Before my oral surgery I had worked up to like 195x7 for my best set and since I've been back I've just been weaker, also about 5 lbs lighter. Some of it was idiot shenanigans like accidentally benching 3 days in a row last week, but tonight 185 for 4 sets of 3 felt pretty dang hard. I think I'm just going to suck it up and drop my training max back down to 220 or 225. For whatever it's worth my deadlift felt maybe a tiny bit weaker, but not by as much I don't think. I know it's not the end of the world but it's the end of the world, guys.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Say Nothing posted:

Teeth like a vandalised graveyard.

https://i.imgur.com/bfCbSxH.mp4

those are clean reps

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Diet Coke Can posted:

I got second in a crossfit competition today

How many kips and tyre-hammer-hits did you have to do?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Can we please just all be good friends, thanks.

I had a lovely bench day. Before my oral surgery I had worked up to like 195x7 for my best set and since I've been back I've just been weaker, also about 5 lbs lighter. Some of it was idiot shenanigans like accidentally benching 3 days in a row last week, but tonight 185 for 4 sets of 3 felt pretty dang hard. I think I'm just going to suck it up and drop my training max back down to 220 or 225. For whatever it's worth my deadlift felt maybe a tiny bit weaker, but not by as much I don't think. I know it's not the end of the world but it's the end of the world, guys.

dumbell press and stop doing the same poo poo multiple days in a row

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
deadlift - 1 time a week
squat- 2 times a week
bench- 7 times a week
ohp- 1 time a week

someone who is good at programming help me figure this out, my bench press is dying

but seriously, I was just being social and got talked into going to the gym on my rest day basically, although I didn't have to actually bench to go workout with them to begin with. I figured I'd have recovered from that by now, but maybe not. I'm sure it'll come back, it was just a rough day at work too which probably didn't help so it was a real mood killer by the time I got home.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Give this a try.

https://articles.reactivetrainingsystems.com/2015/12/01/the-rts-generalized-intermediate-program-by-mike-tuchscherer/

Two notes. For "Squat w/belt, wraps" if you don't want to bother with wraps you can either rig up a reverse band squat or just do it beltless and I'd recommend not doing the drop sets on week five and make it a low stress week.

It's a little outdated but that doesn't mean it wont work.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 21, 2018

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Chinatown posted:

dumbell press and stop doing the same poo poo multiple days in a row

Specificity, bitch.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

Specificity, bitch.

I don’t know any of these new rappers names!!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Diet Coke Can posted:

I got second in a crossfit competition today

What was his name?

Diet Coke Can
Jul 25, 2004

Hardawn posted:

What was his name?

Was hoping someone would do this. Thank you :)

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

MikeCrotch posted:

For a powerlifting meet i usually do something like 8-10 with just the bar, 5 @ 35%, 3 @ 50%, 2 @ 65%, 1 @ 75%, 1 @ 85% then do around 90% for your first 1RM test and go from there

Probably will work pretty good for testing your 1RMs & working up progressively heavier until you fail or whatever it is you want to do

Note that this is for squats, for bench I do less warmup sets (because the weight is lighter) and for deadlift even less than that (because i'm already plenty warm) but if you're just testing one lift that day you want to be thorough

Thanks for this and to everyone else for the subsequent posts. I'll take it all into consideration.

I'm just thinking that if 5/3/1 is meant to be a sub-max strength training program I shouldn't be banging out tons of reps on my final set. For example, I hit 255 x 14 on my deadlift amrap set today and wore myself the gently caress out; I felt wiped for all the accesory lifts that followed.

I think what I'll do is try for my estimated 3RM and do 90% of that as my heavy single next week, so probably around 345 or so. Better safe than sorry.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
90% of your 3RM should be an easy 10 reps, not a heavy single.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Best way to test any 1RM is to start at 60kg and do a rep, add 2.5kg, repeat.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I realized I haven't benched in like a month.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Mustached Demon posted:

I realized I haven't benched in like a month.

hosed up if true

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

sassassin posted:

Best way to test any 1RM is to start at 60kg and do a rep, add 2.5kg, repeat.

Seems like you'd be there for ages if your max was anything above average

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElectricSheep posted:

Thanks for this and to everyone else for the subsequent posts. I'll take it all into consideration.

I'm just thinking that if 5/3/1 is meant to be a sub-max strength training program I shouldn't be banging out tons of reps on my final set. For example, I hit 255 x 14 on my deadlift amrap set today and wore myself the gently caress out; I felt wiped for all the accesory lifts that followed.

I think what I'll do is try for my estimated 3RM and do 90% of that as my heavy single next week, so probably around 345 or so. Better safe than sorry.

At the risk of spreading broscience...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_nervous_system_fatigue

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

hosed up if true

barbell bench press is useless and a complete waste of time hth

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Chinatown posted:

All Pumps Matter

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I usually do some sets of weighted kettlebell push-ups to keep those muscles in line.

Probably bench more once my schedule flips and our new work gym opens.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Mustached Demon posted:

I usually do some sets of weighted kettlebell push-ups to keep those muscles in line.

i assume you are doing upside down kettlebellpushups right.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chinatown posted:

i assume you are doing upside down kettlebellpushups right.

Depends what you mean by upside down.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i hate squats. are they not as awful for manlets or something?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Mustached Demon posted:

Depends what you mean by upside down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-tQn-TzQNU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Chinatown posted:

I'll think about you while I'm benching tomorrow.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That looks great for shoulder stabilization. Dunno about that plus balancing a 25kg plate but whatever. Ours are pretty rounded at the bottom at least.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I'll think about you while I'm benching tomorrow.

I'll think about you when I'm doing a useful exercise tomorrow I guess. :shrug:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Diamond pushups have given me the best pec pump and exhaustion ever experienced, much better than doing 10x10 bench for example. You nerds should try it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

I assume you mean ones with a barbell on your back? So, I dunno. The squat as a movement is great. Maybe do some high volume goblet squats for a change until you like the movement (again)?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

TenementFunster posted:

Holy gently caress gas

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Preemptively responding to your sick and creative own: I'm 6'4"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

feelix posted:

Preemptively responding to your sick and creative own: I'm 6'4"

Me too. :hfive:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
6'3" checking in and while I suck at squats I do like doing them.

Man everyone is so crabby lately, are you all just antsy from having a rest day?

In other news, a friend of mine destroyed his ankle joint while playing hockey and is now bedbound for 8 weeks and I think I would consider euthanasia as a way out if that was me.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Helios Grime posted:

Man everyone is so crabby lately, are you all just antsy from having a rest day?

In other news, a friend of mine destroyed his ankle joint while playing hockey and is now bedbound for 8 weeks and I think I would consider euthanasia as a way out if that was me.

I'm generally cranky when I work the Saturday and Sunday night shift. Those are rest days I spend on my feet for 9-10 hours all night.

Also my lower back got doms'd from pushing front squats down below parallel (pushing mobility for snatch/cleans). Weird sensation having that sore but not hamstrings. I'm 6'2"!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
squats are great.

they make you feel like a loving useless weak piece of poo poo retard idiot. which is essentially the goal of lifting.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Helios Grime posted:

Well

Everyone itt is lacking a healthy amount of sleep, with some idiots waking up at like 3am to go workout

Some have broken bodies, joints, brains

We can't agree which Youtube Chad's dick to suck, because the one I like is clearly science based unlike the one you like who is a loving moron

The other day I was talking to a friend who has never worked out in his life and he said "I'm getting old, I should probably work out, I want to avoid injuries in my old age" and I thought "all my injuries come from working out... :smith:"

Exercise is great

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
my job has been a dick to me as well. Day shift did all the easy work and left the bullshit for me yesterday, then today was horseshit as well but I got it all done and got to leave early so there is that.

I got my volume bench day tomorrow but I think I'm gonna slice half the volume off and take it pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Night shift does make sleep harder and we all know gains happen while we sleep.

Oh well this week is deload week in preparation for 2RM week after.