Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

aegof posted:

It Came From the Sea is the best story of the set, so.

Besides, it wasn't just about the DJ, it was also a love letter to the Newfoundland mission in EW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I got most of the way through Blacksite when my game crashed, and the last save was back on turn four just after the Hunter showed up. So there seems to be a bug with Autosave not auto-ing, is there a way to get that working again?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Iirc, you should be able to fix it by turning autosave off, confirming the change, then turning it on again. Just gotta check that it’s updating with turns every once in awhile.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Welp just started a new legend campaign. Second mission I have two soldiers in full cover behind a car. Enemy gets two shots, both of which miss, both of which hit the car. It explodes and there go my soldiers. It's good to be back, XCOM.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You used explosive terrain as cover?

That's on par with braindead AI soldiers in FPS games hiding behind the big red barrels. Infact, that's exactly what that is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

accessible high cover isn't infinite and it's pretty unlikely for enemies to take multiple shots at dudes in high cover as well as for that to happen, but sure

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Then use low cover. Or bait them into aggroing someone who can take the shot. Or anything that does not involve hugging things that go boom in the middle of a firefight.

I doubt it works like this in XCOM (but does in Xenonauts), but think abstractly about the concept of cover and how it works; every shot that would have hit you if it wasn't for the cover, hits the cover instead. Don't use the red barrel as your bullet catcher. In more practical terms, I personally treat anything explosive as a no-go zone and give them a wide berth. In set pieces with gas stations etc, it's easy to take a step back and watch the overly aggressive XCOM2 AI dash forward into the newly vacated cover behind the boom boxes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1544760525

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

Serephina posted:

You used explosive terrain as cover?

That's on par with braindead AI soldiers in FPS games hiding behind the big red barrels. Infact, that's exactly what that is.

It was an extremely tight timer with 2 pods activated right next to each other and on a bridge type thing, I didn't have much choice. Sitting back wasn't an option.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dylan McKay posted:

It was an extremely tight timer with 2 pods activated right next to each other and on a bridge type thing, I didn't have much choice. Sitting back wasn't an option.

Yeah, as much as people give poo poo for using cars or low cover... when your options are that, no cover, or losing to the timer.... you take the goddamn cover you have.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BlazetheInferno posted:

Besides, it wasn't just about the DJ, it was also a love letter to the Newfoundland mission in EW.

And also a giant tease for a new terror from the deep. Between it and the templar's bit of the ending I guess they changed their stance on Tfd.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

And also a giant tease for a new terror from the deep. Between it and the templar's bit of the ending I guess they changed their stance on Tfd.

Pectoids will be no match for Swolobsters :v:

TFTD was great because it made cooking lobsters the most viable strategy until you got sonic weapons because their armour was loving ridiculous. Well, that and cruise ship missions where a single calcinite hid in a bathroom and would instakill people opening the door.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Falcorum posted:

Pectoids will be no match for Swolobsters :v:

TFTD was great because it made cooking lobsters the most viable strategy until you got sonic weapons because their armour was loving ridiculous. Well, that and cruise ship missions where a single calcinite hid in a bathroom and would instakill people opening the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WziO005uM3g

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FoolyCharged posted:

A new tftd would probably give the devs the chance to bring back some much needed horror to the game.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Holy poo poo :swoon: :five:

This person deserves a medal.

And as for TFTD, I feel like Phoenix Point kinda has that base covered? Isn't the big world-ending threat in that largely based in the oceans? It even has crab men, too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm okay with elements of TFTD in XCOM 3 but having the entire game be TFTD seems like a waste, and it does seem that Firaxis is more comfortable doing sillier stuff which is a poor fit.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I managed to do the first blacksite, kill a Avatar and fight back the Assassin all in one mission. I was convinced the mission would be a bust when the chosen showed up after the avatar had but somehow it worked out.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Another mod highlight: Are you bothered by the silly way how soldiers hold cannons like rifles but switch to the minigun grip when firing? Well, there's a fix for that now.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541141667

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Nordick posted:

Another mod highlight: Are you bothered by the silly way how soldiers hold cannons like rifles but switch to the minigun grip when firing? Well, there's a fix for that now.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541141667
Always thought this was weird but the biggest pet peeve I've had is the sniper raising his/her rifle and adjusting before every single shot. Realise it's just for cinematic effect but always found it irrationally annoying.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ErKeL posted:

Always thought this was weird but the biggest pet peeve I've had is the sniper raising his/her rifle and adjusting before every single shot. Realise it's just for cinematic effect but always found it irrationally annoying.

Yeah, that's another part of one of my niggles with this game, in that many animations are just too long. SWMT and the in-game Zip mode help a lot, but some of them still remain. For me, firing animations are the main offender. Like, magnetic rifles fire a three-round burst followed by two shots at a slower rate, and those last two just aren't necessary imo. Another is the windup in beam weapons, it'd be so much better if they just went KACHOW without charging up the beam like in loving DBZ.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Rapid fire and banish fully play out every animation instead of just repeatedly firing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ravenfood posted:

Rapid fire and banish fully play out every animation instead of just repeatedly firing.

Yeah, that is some of the infuriating poo poo that Stop Wasting My Time fixes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nordick posted:

Yeah, that is some of the infuriating poo poo that Stop Wasting My Time fixes.

Also it just looks cooler. Speaking of, did anyone get a good "ambient fire" mod going?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

You mean Idle Suppression? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1469163357

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As much as I love it, with Idle Suppression, it's less a question of "Will this kill my computer" and more a question of "How quickly will this kill my computer".

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

I'm okay with elements of TFTD in XCOM 3 but having the entire game be TFTD seems like a waste, and it does seem that Firaxis is more comfortable doing sillier stuff which is a poor fit.

How so? You get your scary deep dive missions and your silly surface lobsterman benny hill missions

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I want an XCOM TFTD because I dont really want to play X-com TFTD

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What game are you all playing anyway? None of this sounds like XCOM 2.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

What game are you all playing anyway? None of this sounds like XCOM 2.

tftd is terror from the deep, the sequel to OG xcom released in the 90s.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

BlazetheInferno posted:

As much as I love it, with Idle Suppression, it's less a question of "Will this kill my computer" and more a question of "How quickly will this kill my computer".

I think you can dig around in the .ini files to adjust the amount of ambient fire anywhere from "occasional potshots" to "World War III" but yeah, it's a hell of a performance hog. Looks (and sounds) awesome, though.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Coolguye posted:

tftd is terror from the deep, the sequel to OG xcom released in the 90s.

Oh. All the talk about fish and pods made me think someone had modded that X-Com: Enemy Unknown whale mission into X-Com 2.

The only X-Com game I really played before Enemy Unknown was X-Com Apocalypse which was one of my favourite games of all time. I downloaded older titles and tried some newer but none of them really stuck with me.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Goddamn. loving idiot missed his overwatch shot and instead blew up some boxes around my objective which caught fire and exploded before I could safely move somebody up to get it. I really needed that engineer

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Oh. All the talk about fish and pods made me think someone had modded that X-Com: Enemy Unknown whale mission into X-Com 2.

The only X-Com game I really played before Enemy Unknown was X-Com Apocalypse which was one of my favourite games of all time. I downloaded older titles and tried some newer but none of them really stuck with me.

apocalypse is one of the best games of all time so your taste is good

the OG XCOM games are still some of my all-time favorites but i will be the first to tell anyone that getting into them is rough as hell. getting your poo poo killed because you used one too many time units traversing a hex is even more a :xcom: than getting shot on some low-odds shot and it's even more toothgrindingly frustrating.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Coolguye posted:

apocalypse is one of the best games of all time so your taste is good

the OG XCOM games are still some of my all-time favorites but i will be the first to tell anyone that getting into them is rough as hell. getting your poo poo killed because you used one too many time units traversing a hex is even more a :xcom: than getting shot on some low-odds shot and it's even more toothgrindingly frustrating.

I heard the larger XCOM community considered Apocalypse to be the bastard child of the franchise.

Personally I don't play it with turn based on (because each match would take like 45 minutes and a full game for me would have hundreds of them)

I would play real time and line my soldiers up in a row of 6 with 6 more kneeling infront of them. Everyone with machine guns or auto cannons depending on ammo supply. Then I would throw a fire grenade to set the building on fire and then gun down burning aliens as they ran out into the open. Works on most maps and/or warehouses.

Fundamental problem with Apocalypse: if you don't have a steady supply of personal shields before the enemy starts using entropy launchers then it's game over.
Personal shields can only be captured if the enemy is disabled or killed using the alien poison dart weapon thing.

My last playthrough I ignored the darts all together and just had all my soldiers dual wielding devastator cannons. Because they do massive damage, require no ammo and can be used to cut through walls to make holes in buildings to throw in fire grenade. When entropy launchers showed up my whole save was basically ruined then because I had failed to capture any personal shields.

Katt fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 22, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

I heard the larger XCOM community considered Apocalypse to be the bastard child of the franchise.
this was true back in the early 2000s but people have gotten kinder to it over time as it becomes apparent that it did what it did pretty well and nobody else is crazy enough to even attempt what apoc did even with modern toolsets. just the strategy and tactical layer integration is something that hadn't been done before and hasn't really been done since.

there's a lot of things to gig apoc with. it lacks a lot of the focus on mechanics that other entries had, the balance is all over the place, and it's buggy as sin. but ultimately it's got an experience that no other game really has, and no other series seems even remotely interested in offering.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Nah, that's Interceptor - which isn't like any of the other games in the series (think X-COM meets X-Wing/TIE Fighter), but I maintain that it's really good. If nothing else, it had a very memorable credits sequence.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Coolguye posted:

this was true back in the early 2000s but people have gotten kinder to it over time as it becomes apparent that it did what it did pretty well and nobody else is crazy enough to even attempt what apoc did even with modern toolsets. just the strategy and tactical layer integration is something that hadn't been done before and hasn't really been done since.

there's a lot of things to gig apoc with. it lacks a lot of the focus on mechanics that other entries had, the balance is all over the place, and it's buggy as sin. but ultimately it's got an experience that no other game really has, and no other series seems even remotely interested in offering.

Apocalypse did set a high bar for UFO/Vehicle combat. I miss wrecking buildings and outfitting my attack ships

Slightly less I miss losing 12 fully armed elite XCom soldiers to a falling skybridge after a police cars auto cannon round knocked it down onto my airship.

But it was always the franchise of save scumming.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My most memorable experience in Apocalypse was having one alien left in the building and not being able to find the fucker, then suddenly The best song in the game and one of the best in the series comes rocking the gently caress out as a terrified, panicking Anthropod flees in terror from the twelve or so screaming lunatics firing wildly at it. I didn't even know aliens could panic before then. I legit got so hyped that I minimized the game and looked up what song it was. :allears: I'm glad to see people came around to Apocalypse, it's real good when it actually functions.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

My favorite part of Apocalypse was being able to show up with troops at some hostile organization's place for no reason whatsoever and just shoot the crap out of the building and its inhabitants. Actually sawing through the bottom pillars of that one slum to bring the whole thing down was enough to bankrupt the owner for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

1337JiveTurkey posted:

My favorite part of Apocalypse was being able to show up with troops at some hostile organization's place for no reason whatsoever and just shoot the crap out of the building and its inhabitants. Actually sawing through the bottom pillars of that one slum to bring the whole thing down was enough to bankrupt the owner for years.

Another mandatory post