Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Tomorrow is inspection day! I'm so nervous!

Check for termites, ask about a termite bond.
Personal experience, you don’t want termites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Rhyno posted:

I'm so nervous!

Wingardium leviosaaaaaahhhh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some_admin posted:

Check for termites, ask about a termite bond.
Personal experience, you don’t want termites.

Added to the list!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

House, car or prostate?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Don't get overwhelmed. Keep in mind -- your contract price is the HIGHEST you'll agree to. Based on the inspection, you can use some negotiation to leverage the price a bit.

Remember that just as you feel pressure and excitement to buy the house, the seller has pressure to sell the house.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Sometimes I really wonder what people are doing. I was changing from summer tyres to winter tyres on my new car and 2 things were making my blood boil:
1. Why the gently caress do tyre places never check that the weights won't hit the front brakes when it's obvious that there is very little room to play with?
2. I had to stand on- and almost jump on the breaker bar to get the lug nuts off. Either someone over tightened them like hell, or it might have been caused by what looked like copper paste?! Or both. They didn't look damaged on inspection, and threaded in without any problems but it certainly doesn't feel great to have to do that when the lugs should be 100-120Nm.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Copper grease stops them seizing, it doesn't glue them in. That'll just be the idiot on the brapbrap.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slurry_curry posted:

Also, why isn't everyone on here running Ad Block(or something like it) on their browsers? The biggest downside to using it is that it makes web browsing and watching youtube on my phone unbearable, since you can't run ad block there. It took me years to realize that youtube started playing ads during videos, since I don't see them.

I didn't mind a pre-roll ad before a video, since it usually benefited the content creator, but when YT started running multiple ads before and during the videos AND demonetizing/reducing the revenue sharing for creators, I started running an ad-blocker.

slurry_curry posted:

Yea, I run into sites from time to time that have the "please turn off your ad blocker" as well as pay walls, but the majority of the time they are garbage sites that are littered with lovely ads. Those warnings are usually a good sign its not worth going to the site at all. It can be a bit of a pain in the rear end to deal with(tho not nearly as annoying as my no script plugin), but well worth it to not be constantly spammed with ads everywhere. Hell, its probably worth it to just use on youtube.

Completely agree. I just go elsewhere when I get that "turn off ad-blocker" message. None of your content is unique.

slidebite posted:

Congrats man! Wait until you have to sign on the bottom line multiple times for the mortgage paperwork. That's when it really hit me.

OMG, this is truth. We lost track of how many times we needed to sign or initial during closing.

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Morning everyone! Have any good plans for the week?

Going to get my eyeball upgrade on Tuesday. I was hoping for lasers and a zoom feature, but apparently all their willing to do is replace the lens so I won't get a cataract, and can see 20/20. What happened to my sci-fi future?
Upgrade adjustment on the other eye after this one heals, at which point I will no longer need corrective lenses. Still no lasers, though.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Copper grease stops them seizing, it doesn't glue them in. That'll just be the idiot on the brapbrap.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Darchangel posted:

Going to get my eyeball upgrade on Tuesday. I was hoping for lasers and a zoom feature, but apparently all their willing to do is replace the lens so I won't get a cataract, and can see 20/20. What happened to my sci-fi future?
Upgrade adjustment on the other eye after this one heals, at which point I will no longer need corrective lenses. Still no lasers, though.

At what point do you cut off your limbs for bionic ones? Because I'm all about that poo poo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

House, car or prostate?

House but I do need to schedule the third one you mention.

meatpimp posted:

Don't get overwhelmed. Keep in mind -- your contract price is the HIGHEST you'll agree to. Based on the inspection, you can use some negotiation to leverage the price a bit.

Remember that just as you feel pressure and excitement to buy the house, the seller has pressure to sell the house.

I'm not overwhelmed (yet) just really excited for this new chapter. I won't lie, I never thought I would be a homeowner so this is a huge deal to me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yep, even more so than normal unfortunately!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Yeah much easier to over torque right? But why would someone take the time and care to put on copper grease to make it easier to remove the bolts etc, but then over torque by that much / just impact it to death? The mind boggles. Quick guesstimation is that it took somewhere around 350-400Nm to get them off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, the lubricated threads mean the torque you apply does more clamping/pulling down than it should, so even with standard torque, you're overcooking things. Add in the "how many dugga-duggas is that?" approach to torque specs and it's likely to go a bit wrong. Generally, unless you're told otherwise, torque specs are based on clean threads without anything on them.

I strongly suspect they wop some goo on there because last time they found the nuts were a dick to get off...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Why is it so much easier to buy cars than sell them?

And now my guitar guy is texting me about a $300 camry next to his shop. you do not pass on a $300 camry.

i have so many cars piling up and not in a good mental state to do what i need to do.

i used to scoff at people who said they were depressed, not anymore ha.

someone also posted something about a Prelude with 4WS, this Majesta I have has it and drat you can turn that car around on a dime. Pretty neat.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

everdave posted:

Why is it so much easier to buy cars than sell them?

And now my guitar guy is texting me about a $300 camry next to his shop. you do not pass on a $300 camry.

i have so many cars piling up and not in a good mental state to do what i need to do.

i used to scoff at people who said they were depressed, not anymore ha.

someone also posted something about a Prelude with 4WS, this Majesta I have has it and drat you can turn that car around on a dime. Pretty neat.

I get really attached to the heaps of poo poo that I drive. And depression is no joke, ever since the equinox, I can feel the SAD creeping in. I'm sleeping 12 hours a night instead of 7

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
SAD bros :(:hf::(

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

I get really attached to the heaps of poo poo that I drive. And depression is no joke, ever since the equinox, I can feel the SAD creeping in. I'm sleeping 12 hours a night instead of 7

Things are pretty dark lately, when I don't have the kids I stay out all night and try to sleep late but the mornings are the worst.

I gotta sell some cars and get back on track. I am on the wrong path but trying to correct it.

had a pretty great weekend though, 300 mile road trip with my buddy to see 2 bands in 2 cities and it was a great time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry you guys are bummed.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
12 God damned hours are you kidding me that's like two nights worth

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

Same. 6.5 max per night for me unless I'm sick.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

what's REALLY fun is that when you do those double-digit Depression Sleeps, you don't even feel rested, you just wake up feeling exhausted. Brains suck, petition to delete and start again clean sheet.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I feel great

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Fender Anarchist posted:

what's REALLY fun is that when you do those double-digit Depression Sleeps, you don't even feel rested, you just wake up feeling exhausted. Brains suck, petition to delete and start again clean sheet.

Seriously, it's just as hard to wake up and it feels the same as if you'd slept 5 hours, but half of your day is gone. It sucks

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

SAD hits me pretty hard most years unless I work hard to fight it. So last year, I moved to a country further north where it stays darker much longer. I'm smart :v:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I made a move a couple degrees (or fractions thereof) in latitude, and from the Western side of a timezone to the Eastern side of the next. Working it all out, sunset hits about an hour earlier than I grew up with, and the winter nights last a lot longer, too. I usually feel the SAD hitting around November - what's hitting right now is less and less sunlight to walk the dogs after work.

I've said this every year since moving, but I'm thinking of abandoning the time change this year and keeping my sleep schedule right where it is. I can show up and leave work an hour earlier than I do now, 6am instead of 7am, no big deal there. But the extra hour of cushion is just too tempting to grab, and I'll be sleeping in and showing up at 7am soon anyway.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Get out and exercise, sad bros. I've been there before and it feels insurmountable to even do it, but it really does help. Gobble up those endorphins. I'm not having the best time currently since I can't exercise much currently with my injury. What I can do now is really boring, so it sucks and is less motivating. Just trying to focus on other things and stay busy.

BraveUlysses posted:

:same: I can't sleep for poo poo currently, either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Door Frame posted:

At what point do you cut off your limbs for bionic ones? Because I'm all about that poo poo

I expect about when you can feel through them, and actually control them.
And gently caress yeah. In The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, the main character, Manny, has an artificial arm, and he has interchangeable hands for it, form a "social" (lifelike) hand, to a heavy gripper, to a micro manipulator for working on small electronics. I want that. Hell, even a finger that I can swap out for a finger that has more, smaller fingers...

Dagen H posted:

SAD bros :(:hf::(

Oh, heck yes the SAD is creeping in.

Edit: did the forum subtitle always have the #musk thing after the Halloween change?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Suburban Dad posted:

Gobble up those endorphins.

Exercise really is a key. I've never finished a workout and thought "Man, I feel like poo poo and I shouldn't have worked out." Getting the motivation to do it can be tough, but push through.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

I feel great

Don't you think that it's just a wee bit of a truly dick thing to say you feel good when people are posting about depression?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If your paying any attention to fridge corn, you're doing it wrong.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Is it too late to talk about winning the lottery? I'd like to race dakar in a truck.

I'd like to do this even if I don't win the lottery. I bet those are really fun to drive.

meatpimp posted:

Exercise really is a key. I've never finished a workout and thought "Man, I feel like poo poo and I shouldn't have worked out." Getting the motivation to do it can be tough, but push through.

For depression, or feeling bad, I think the following are really good ideas:

1. diet
2. exercise
3. just don't be sad
4. look at some pictures of dogs

5. professional help.

Just kidding, 1-4 are good too...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Don't you think that it's just a wee bit of a truly dick thing to say you feel good when people are posting about depression?

:thejoke:

meatpimp posted:

I might feel like that a day or two later, but exercise can definitely help if you can drag yourself to do it

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
If I win the lottery tomorrow I'm gonna buy a Honda Prelude.

And then I'm gonna get stoned and take a bath my dudes.

Seriously though if any of you guys in the Southeast have a beater car you need to sell hmu because I am in desperate need of transportation right now.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I feel great

Samesies babe

Combat SAD with activities and telling your idiot ego to shut the gently caress up!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

If I win the lottery tomorrow I'm gonna buy a Honda Prelude.

And then I'm gonna get stoned and take a bath my dudes.

Seriously though if any of you guys in the Southeast have a beater car you need to sell hmu because I am in desperate need of transportation right now.

I’m southeast and if you want my Taurus wagon that I poured a bunch of money in $1500 and I got way more than that in recent maintenance. Hell I’ll drive it to you. I just do t want to clean it up. Cold air hot heat good tires it’s not even listed for sale I’d put it up for 2700 if I spent a few days cleaning it

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I personally don't think so.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

everdave posted:

I’m southeast and if you want my Taurus wagon that I poured a bunch of money in $1500 and I got way more than that in recent maintenance. Hell I’ll drive it to you. I just do t want to clean it up. Cold air hot heat good tires it’s not even listed for sale I’d put it up for 2700 if I spent a few days cleaning it

What's the year and mileage? Is it AT or MT?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Get out and exercise, sad bros. I've been there before and it feels insurmountable to even do it, but it really does help. Gobble up those endorphins. I'm not having the best time currently since I can't exercise much currently with my injury. What I can do now is really boring, so it sucks and is less motivating. Just trying to focus on other things and stay busy.

:same: I can't sleep for poo poo currently, either.

Join AI meets YLLS while youre at it! I'm getting tired of talking to myself.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865914

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm just trying to get through another week since my kid is sick again. We went to urgent care because her fever was pushing 104f/40c last night. She's doing better today but that 24 hour clock for her to go back to daycare keeps getting pushed. She had a 102 fever this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

AdiaBOOtic posted:

I personally don't think so.
Yup. Its a reminder that the world isn't completely bad, and it can get better. IMO at least.

• Locked thread