Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

I ran an O10N from duty finder with this dude. He sucked as much as one would imagine from the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s homophobic.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

World War Mammories posted:

it's bad content. some jackass on the dev team ("komuato" or something?) has both a boner for FFXI's bad everquest-style game design and, for some godforsaken reason, the ear of head developer yoshida. thus, we suffer through the dev team wasting time on this godawful poo poo.

It's actually pretty funny because you can see that they had a bunch of ideas for old school EQ content in Pagos with Adaptations and Mutations and special loot box drops only from chain parties with the express intent that they would make you do all these things, grind trash mobs and also grind NMs (because the relic required drops from both) in order to progress.

And it was horrible, and went over like a lead balloon. And I can absolutely picture a very awkward meeting in Square Enix somewhere, with a graph showing the player participation dropping like a rock, and someone important says, paraphrased, "this isn't Diadem we can't just shrug our shoulders at a failed experiment and move on this is multi-year core content we have six of these planned, loving fix it". Now it's Anemos, half the content ideas can literally be ignored, while Pagos is still the current most relevant Eureka zone.

Just as importantly for Eureka-casual shitheads like myself, as far as adherence to the old-school hardcore grind philosophy goes, they blinked and we all know it now. A Pagos relic might have taken 3+ weeks on launch and now it takes days, and all we had to do was wait for them to lose their nerve about it. Even if Pyros starts as a horrific overly-complex grindfest we know it won't stay that way. The train will be there eventually.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Someday Cassie will be the only non-merch minion I don't have and I'll think about Pagos and be completely fine with missing out. Or, they'll shift her to some other content like they did with the Hunting Hawk and I'll just get her that way. Ditto the TT card from the boss. I have a lot of sympathy for Eureka overall and thought Anemos was a fine way to kill time in small doses but as was mentioned the level design for Pagos is abysmal and makes taking part in it a lot more annoying than it needs to be.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Or they could just Xenosaga the entire Eureka plan by crushing a planned six part series into a rushed three part series that wraps up rapidly and ends with an ambiguous status quo to leave an opening for more in case they ever revisit it (but don't ever revisit it).

Sometimes you gotta kill your baby, Komoto.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Meiteron posted:

Hey you didn't mention the story or the cool FFXI items: There is no story. You will never see any of the FFXI items. Just let it go.

This is the only part I cared about. :negative:

At least I managed to buy the Wind-Up Tarutaru on the Market Board. Shame I won't get the Morbol in a dress.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I tanked O11N last night and got merced by Mustard Bomb because I didn't understand that tank buster meant "you will loving die if you don't pop more than one cooldown".

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Meiteron posted:

The train will be there eventually.
No, it won't.

Since you pretty much have to do each eureka zone in order, and as pagos has already proved there's a massive dropoff in player participation as time goes along. Every person who throws up their hands and gives up with the current zone is one more person who won't be around for the later zones even if they want to for whatever reason because they'd have to go back and spend a few days grinding the older zone(s) to get there. It is a bad design and was doomed to failure from the start.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm scared of hom

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Meiteron posted:

It's actually pretty funny because you can see that they had a bunch of ideas for old school EQ content in Pagos with Adaptations and Mutations and special loot box drops only from chain parties with the express intent that they would make you do all these things, grind trash mobs and also grind NMs (because the relic required drops from both) in order to progress.

what really grinds my gears is that it would've taken the dev team like half an hour of playtesting to see for themselves how poorly grind parties work in this game. in XI your fastest cooldowns were like thirty seconds and you had plenty of time to shoot the poo poo with your group. when you got a efficient merit party with a bard and red mage or whatever, even though it's slow in a literal sense, the pace could get very taxing. but here you're pressing a button at least every 2.5sec, so you've got to be engaged in the game and expending mental energy, with no release of any kind from killing the same loving mob over and over. it becomes exhausting in like ten minutes. and heaven help me, I kind of liked grinding in XI.

hell, you wouldn't even need playtesting. here's a question: did you know, dear reader, that EXP chains already existed in FF14 before eureka was a glimmer in yoship's eye? it's true! in fact, I think it might literally be the same bonuses and timers as in FFXI! and yet, have you ever, in your entire time playing this dumb anime game, seen anyone at all leveling by forming a group and killing monsters a couple levels higher than they are? no, you haven't, because it loving sucks! even back in 2.0 everyone went to northern thanalan rather than form a loving exp chain party! so why would you try to push that as the primary method of engaging in content that's supposed to last an entire goddamn expansion?!?!? aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Let us unsync eureka in 5.0, you cowards!

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is the only part I cared about. :negative:

At least I managed to buy the Wind-Up Tarutaru on the Market Board. Shame I won't get the Morbol in a dress.

I'm going to be really mad if - ok well, I think I'm going to be mad no matter what on Pyros launch - but I'm going to be extra mad if the FFXI items in subsequent Eurekas are as rare and difficult to acquire as Pagos ones.

Making the items give actual bonuses was dumb, because for some reason it inspired them to drop a bunch of extra restrictions on how you get them. Hey, you FFXI expats remember OHat, right guys? Well look, it's Hakutaku! Oh, you expected to get your cool nostalgia glamour straight from the NM like you have been led to believe from Anemos haha gently caress you go run bunny coffers for a week straight until the RNG gives you the eyes for a cluster or pay 20mil+ on the market board, loser.

Glamour items only. Direct from NMs, and not crazy rare NMs like Cassie either. Reasonable drop rate. This isn't hard guys you literally figured this out already

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Asimo posted:

No, it won't.

Since you pretty much have to do each eureka zone in order, and as pagos has already proved there's a massive dropoff in player participation as time goes along. Every person who throws up their hands and gives up with the current zone is one more person who won't be around for the later zones even if they want to for whatever reason because they'd have to go back and spend a few days grinding the older zone(s) to get there. It is a bad design and was doomed to failure from the start.

or, you can pay $20 for Tales of Pyros and jump to Elemental Level 69

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

or, you can pay $20 for Tales of Pyros and jump to Elemental Level 69

Goddamnit I literally thought up this joke and ran back to my laptop to try and post it

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
pagos is an awful grindfest but the one good thing is that i did make close to 20m selling the xi gear i found there

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

what really grinds my gears is that it would've taken the dev team like half an hour of playtesting to see for themselves how poorly grind parties work in this game. in XI your fastest cooldowns were like thirty seconds and you had plenty of time to shoot the poo poo with your group. when you got a efficient merit party with a bard and red mage or whatever, even though it's slow in a literal sense, the pace could get very taxing. but here you're pressing a button at least every 2.5sec, so you've got to be engaged in the game and expending mental energy, with no release of any kind from killing the same loving mob over and over. it becomes exhausting in like ten minutes. and heaven help me, I kind of liked grinding in XI.

This is seriously the biggest failure point for Eureka, assuming I accept that it's trying to be an old school mmo thing. It's impossible to really chill out and grind in eureka because ffxiv combat is a modern enough thing to require constant input, even when busy doing a rotation. It's somehow both stressful AND dull.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The worst part about Pagos is that if you're below level 32, good loving luck getting any of the NMs. You have to be level 30 for the first aetherite up north and 32 for the 2nd. The train will often not wait. So If you're sub level 32, you'll be late to at least half of the NM spawns and miss them entirely.

I would say that you should do Anemos weekly challenge log until you're level 30-32, and THEN transition to pagos.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

hell, you wouldn't even need playtesting. here's a question: did you know, dear reader, that EXP chains already existed in FF14 before eureka was a glimmer in yoship's eye? it's true! in fact, I think it might literally be the same bonuses and timers as in FFXI! and yet, have you ever, in your entire time playing this dumb anime game, seen anyone at all leveling by forming a group and killing monsters a couple levels higher than they are? no, you haven't, because it loving sucks! even back in 2.0 everyone went to northern thanalan rather than form a loving exp chain party! so why would you try to push that as the primary method of engaging in content that's supposed to last an entire goddamn expansion?!?!? aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Punch wizard parties for classes under lvl 20 were actually a thing for like a week or two.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Is ff14 worth playing if end game content is apparently actual rear end?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Eureka is just one part of end game content. The rest of endgame content of ex primals and Savage raiding is actually loads of fun, imo.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Hell, I'm not even planning to get into end-game content aside from Normal/Easymode raiding and running dungeons. Levelling jobs and checking out beast tribes and such is enough for me.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Sampatrick posted:

You can completely ignore the part we're calling rear end and still not run out of stuff to do as a new player before the next xpac. A large part of this thread is just out of all other pve content that isn't raiding and so complain about the only really bad spot in end game pve at the moment.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sampatrick posted:

There's a whole lot of end game things to do in FFXIV that are actually cool and good, and five years worth of other content that would be new to new players. Eureka is bad but I guess no game is perfect? :shrug:

E: worth noting that since there are huge content patches every ~3 months and two full expansions with another likely coming in another 8 or 9 months, five years worth of FFXIV content is a whole loving lot of stuff.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 22, 2018

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

FFXIV has so loving much to do it can be a bit baffling. I still don't think I've touched Squadrons and I'm only just now getting into Gathering/Crafting.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mordiceius posted:

The worst part about Pagos is that if you're below level 32, good loving luck getting any of the NMs. You have to be level 30 for the first aetherite up north and 32 for the 2nd. The train will often not wait. So If you're sub level 32, you'll be late to at least half of the NM spawns and miss them entirely.

I would say that you should do Anemos weekly challenge log until you're level 30-32, and THEN transition to pagos.

Level 30 gets you to most of them just fine.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

been playing on/off for a year and there is so much stuff that i have just not engaged with in any meaningful capacity

you're bound to find something you like to do

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Monathin posted:

FFXIV has so loving much to do it can be a bit baffling. I still don't think I've touched Squadrons and I'm only just now getting into Gathering/Crafting.

Same here. I just discharged my last initial recruit from 2016. I've had them since the launched, but completely ignored it until I began using the command missions to level my BLM. It works pretty well!

Also, I only recently discharged my last original squaddie because I now have a full 8 man potato squad #blessed.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Sampatrick posted:

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Hell, I'm not even planning to get into end-game content aside from Normal/Easymode raiding and running dungeons. Levelling jobs and checking out beast tribes and such is enough for me.

This + crafting/gathering/housing is what I've done for 5 years and it's worked out well. Don't always cap weekly currencies and sometimes I don't log in for a few months, but getting back in is pretty easy and there's always been at least one engaging progression path. Also, goons in FFXIV tend to be different than in EVE, WoW, etc. - we're a helpful bunch.

Also bear in mind there is a lot of excellent endgame content, and with level sync you can get a reasonable facsimile in ARR and HW's endgame. If nothing else the presentation is quite good and there's a lot of loot/cosmetics to choose from. After an "okay" start, the story's up there with any of the mainline FFs (really).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you have no interest in doing the current relic then I don't think Eureka has any value for you.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

imo the main reason to persevere through FF14 tedious and incredibly long-winded leveling campaigns is to reach the endgame where all the incredibly cool boss fights live, you don't even need to touch Eureka, just run dungeons and kill raid bosses

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I did a bad thing

e:

Renegret fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 22, 2018

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

multijoe posted:

imo the main reason to persevere through FF14 tedious and incredibly long-winded leveling campaigns is to reach the endgame where all the incredibly cool boss fights live, you don't even need to touch Eureka, just run dungeons and kill raid bosses

:emptyquote:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Renegret posted:

I did a bad thing

e:

No, you did the best thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Monathin posted:

For some reason I have a level 60 Squadron despite not having finished the MSQ.

I guess the upside is that I have like 40 of those "+15% XP for 2 hours" books. I should start getting the Gathering/Crafting ones now that I have a bunch of combat ones.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

we're filled with righteous fury in part because the rest of it is quality MMO content, and if eureka didn't exist there would be even more really good stuff. for example, I stay subbed in large part because of savage raids and I'm looking forward to a session this evening.

I mean, you know, recommending that someone play an MMO is still immoral. but if you're gonna play one, FF14 is almost certainly the best on the market right now.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Renegret posted:

I did a bad thing

e:

So I'm guessing you decided not to buy the dog after all.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

So I'm guessing you decided not to buy the dog after all.

I'll get it just gotta hit the lotto I'LL GET IT THIS TIME I FEEL IT IN MY BONES

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

hmmmmmmmmm

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Renegret posted:

Nope! I have a problem where I have to collect all the mounts no matter how much I hate them.

Speaking of which, are any of the (cheaper) MGP mounts any good?

Fenrir is probably the worst of them to be honest. The indisputable Miller Lite Gold Saucer Mount Draft Board with Mel Kiper Jr goes as follows.

1. Korpokkur Kollosus
2. Adamantoise
3. Archon Chair
4. Typhon
5. Fenrir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Note that Typhon would be substantially higher on the list if they had done any of the following correctly:

1) made him bigger (he's puny)
2) gave him FFVI music (come on, Dragon's Neck already exists)
3) let him sneeze (how on God's green earth did they not do this?)

Unfortunately, they hosed up real bad with this one.