Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

My [35M] ex wife [34F] won't drop it. I got my son [6M] a chocolate cake for his birthday party and I forgot he's allergic.

Lol at not remembering one of your kid's deathly allergies even after you were given several hints. Father of the year here I can see why that's his Ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Haifisch posted:

My [35M] ex wife [34F] won't drop it. I got my son [6M] a chocolate cake for his birthday party and I forgot he's allergic.

It's understandable to make a mistake, and if that is how she treats it every time he makes one no wonder they are divorced.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

therobit posted:

It's understandable to make a mistake, and if that is how she treats it every time he makes one no wonder they are divorced.

It’s really not in this case (this is totally ‘you had one job, moron’ territory) and he should rightfully be called ‘the allergy amnesiac’ by literally everyone for the rest of his life

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Haifisch posted:

this is one of those 'the hell do you think the internet can do about this?' posts

don't forget your child's allergy next time dingus, end of story

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

Getting your child a cake they're allergic to because you're not paying attention is an understandable mistake, albeit still lovely and avoidable.

Getting your child a cake they're allergic to because you blanked on your child's life-threatening allergy to the extent that even pointed reminders don't ring a bell is just extreme and wanton neglect, gently caress that guy.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
:10bux: he is the one that got to name Axel.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Refreshingly, this is a case where the chocolate is actually not for the children.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
It's amazing how people think a simple sorry suffices in a situation so serious. Just this weekend I was walking to the park with the gf and we were using a crosswalk, some dude making a left (and it wasn't particularly busy) just gunned it without looking and I had to drag both of us out of the way. He saw us as he was halfway into the crosswalk already (so we were basically right next to his driver side window) and gave this shrug/hands up like "whoops my bad, almost maimed/killed you no harm no foul" as he just drove off.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
on a related note a lot of folks think "im sorry" is a magical incantation that vacuums away people being mad at you, and hoo buddy, are they mad, in turn, when it doesn't work

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Xenocides posted:

And now for the darker side of candy where it is used as a weapon to frame an innocent man:

I [18M] am diabetic. Someone keeps putting candy boxes and wrappers in my car to get me in trouble with my parents. I have no idea who it is or how to make it stop.

So the parents are totally leaving them in the car, right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

on a related note a lot of folks think "im sorry" is a magical incantation that vacuums away people being mad at you, and hoo buddy, are they mad, in turn, when it doesn't work

im sorry

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

What else are you supposed to do? I've run into this situation a lot in my life and it's just like...okay? Why are you still mad if I expressed regret and apologized? Should I flay myself and wear a hair shirt?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Palemdromes posted:

What else are you supposed to do? I've run into this situation a lot in my life and it's just like...okay? Why are you still mad if I expressed regret and apologized? Should I flay myself and wear a hair shirt?

Gotta do something to actually make amends or if that's not possible then accept that it's gonna be a thing until you've sufficiently proven it's not a thing and that's on the other person's timeline.

Kinda depends on the degree of the fuckup. Like totally blanking on your child's deathly food allergy even when given a chance to think about it/remember is probably gonna be a long term thing because it was a clear demonstration of how little of shits you gave for your kid.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Also give people time to realize you're not going to do the same thing again. A lot of people who go "I said I'm sorry, why are you still mad, gosh" conveniently ignore that this is the 10th time they've done the exact same thing that pissed the other person off.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

quote:

I have a tolerable relationship with my mother. She doesn’t have a history of making good choices, and the short version of the long story of my childhood is that she did not protect me from physical abuse.

Currently, I see her a few times a year because I live halfway across the country. A few years ago she started dating someone. I found out after the fact that she had gotten married. I have never met this man. I have attempted multiple times, but there’s always some excuse or weird avoidance tactic. Once, he dropped her off several blocks from my house, and she walked the rest of the way with her suitcase rather than him driving up to my door.

My problem is now I have a child. My mother wants to be involved in my child’s life, including things like overnight visits and vacations spent at Grandma’s. I do not feel comfortable with my child spending time in her home with this man I’ve never met. I would prefer the opportunity to meet him for the first time without my child present but so far, no luck.

I’ve spoken directly to her about how strange it is that my child has a grandparent that I’ve never met and that we should rectify this before my child is old enough to ask who the man is in the picture with Granny. Her response is that I’ll meet him eventually.

It’s been nearly five years already, and I haven’t been successful in meeting him. Short of showing up unannounced, I’m not sure how to force the issue. Am I overreacting? I don’t want to punish my mother by limiting her access to my child unless it’s in my home, but I don’t see another option.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Palemdromes posted:

People don't HAVE to forgive you if they don't want to. You don't apologize to be forgiven, you apologize because you're genuinely sorry. It's not about you.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

100% chance the new husband has done time, 50% chance it was for a sex crime against a child.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Grandma's Canadian Husband

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Miserable Maid posted:

People don't HAVE to forgive you if they don't want to. You don't apologize to be forgiven, you apologize because you're genuinely sorry. It's not about you.

Everything in my life is actually about me - I'm the hero of my own story. If someone won't forgive me even with an apology, I have to cut them out of my life. It's not something I enjoy doing - it's caused a lot of resentment - but I don't see any other option if an apology doesn't work. I'm not going to debase myself at the altar of their satisfaction until they decide I've paid enough penance. This isn't the goddamn catholic church in the medieval ages.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

therobit posted:

100% chance the new husband has done time, 50% chance it was for a sex crime against a child.

What I can’t get is, even if it’s that, why not just not mention it? The dude wouldn’t have PEDO tattooed on his forehead. Just introduce him and don’t talk about it!

Unless it’s someone the letter writer would recognize immediately :smith:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The mother's boyfriend is the daughter's baby daddy

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

Yeah, I can agree with that.

I wouldn't make that mistake if it was my kid though.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
hint: sometimes, it would be unreasonable to not accept a given apology (ex- you accidentally step on my toe and i remain pissed)

sometimes, it is unreasonable to expect the apology to make the person not mad anymore (ex- I left your door open for 2 hours and your dog got out and was torn to pieces, and you are still mad after I say sorry)

sometimes different situations, mean different things are true! I know! it's like god drat can't we just have some rules that work for everything and no exception clauses!!' but we dont

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

hint: sometimes, it would be unreasonable to not accept a given apology (ex- you accidentally step on my toe and i remain pissed)

sometimes, it is unreasonable to expect the apology to make the person not mad anymore (ex- I left your door open for 2 hours and your dog got out and was torn to pieces, and you are still mad after I say sorry)

sometimes different situations, mean different things are true! I know! it's like god drat can't we just have some rules that work for everything and no exception clauses!!' but we dont

Okay, I didn't want to do this but here's the situation: their child escaped their house and entered a nearby dentist's office and was detained until I found them. No harm came to them and it was their fault for not locking the door when the left. What is a reasonable amount of time to be angry at someone for something that you are partially responsible for?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Palemdromes posted:

Okay, I didn't want to do this but here's the situation: their child escaped their house and entered a nearby dentist's office and was detained until I found them. No harm came to them and it was their fault for not locking the door when the left. What is a reasonable amount of time to be angry at someone for something that you are partially responsible for?

Are you the parent, the person who was watching the child, the dentist, or the child themselves?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Palemdromes posted:

im pooping on ur head right now. hehehe.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Palemdromes posted:

Wait partially responsible in what way.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Barudak posted:

The correct thing to do is to lure her into the basement with promises of a candy of amontillado
You tell me there's 100 Grand down there I'll follow you, not because I like that candy, but you have a goddamn underground lair you must have money.

Hopefully if things go awry your mom will hear my screams and let me out of the basement.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Pirate Radar posted:

Are you the parent, the person who was watching the child, the dentist, or the child themselves?

Child watching services provider, sorry for the confusion.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
so you, the professional child watcher, did not consider that you should perhaps lock the doors before you let the child pass from your field of vision?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SpaceViking posted:

It Came From r/LegalAdvice:

My boss just informed me that, in the morning, HR will present me with a sexual harassment complaint/investigation against me. What are the steps I need to take to protect myself?

Bolding mine. Dude hosed up so bad that a hotel banned his entire company for life. He's also arguing in the comments that HR needs proof to fire him and he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know if the followup to this was posted (as I'm 200 pages back and still catching up) but the dude got loving fired and lied to his wife.

quote:

(UPDATE) My sexual harassment investigation

I've been completely numb the past couple of days. I got fired.

They loving got surveillance of me. The investigator refused to show me the video and I denied the allegations vehemently. HR manager and VP said they interviewed "several people" and suspended me indefinitely. My boss told me afterwards to prepare for the termination notice.

I have a feeling he ratted me out. He has been ignoring my texts now. I truly thought he'd get my loving back.

I told my wife I was laid off. She can never know the truth. I don't know how long I'm going to spend jobless. I worked hard to move up in the world and finally got the job of a lifetime with a great salary. This is devastating.

Edit-

I wasn't the only one who acted up yet I got fired. I need to know my legal rights. This is inconsistent.

quote:

Do you tell employers why you fired someone?(reference check)

I was a Director of Operations. I was terminated for sexually harassing a non-employee at a hotel(company function).

I have applied for many positions as Director and mid level manager. I have six interviews set up. I know once I get to the reference check, they will contact my previous employer. I need to know what type of information they can legally provide.

My (now former) boss has not returned a single call or text and neither has HR. I would like for them to say that they laid me off as opposed to termination.

I cannot get unemployment and have money to cover the next six months of bills but would like to get back to working.

What can my former employer tell a new employer? If they are allowed to tell them that I was terminated and why, how can I ever recover from this? I've never been so stressed in my life. I have a wife and children.

I never harassed an employee and never will. I also cut the drinking and will NEVER screw up again. Please help.

quote:

I was recently terminated for sexual harassment. I would like advice on how to recover professionally.

I was a Director of Operations. I was terminated for sexually harassing a non-employee at a hotel(company function).

I have applied for many positions as Director and mid level manager. I have six interviews set up. I know once I get to the reference check, they will contact my previous employer. I need to know what type of information they can legally provide.

My (now former) boss has not returned a single call or text and neither has HR. I would like for them to say that they laid me off as opposed to termination.

I cannot get unemployment and have money to cover the next six months of bills but would like to get back to working.

What can my former employer tell a new employer? If they are allowed to tell them that I was terminated and why, how can I ever recover from this? I've never been so stressed in my life. I have a wife and children.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 23, 2018

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

so you, the professional child watcher, did not consider that you should perhaps lock the doors before you let the child pass from your field of vision?

I always lock the door...when I enter or exit it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Palemdromes posted:

Child watching services provider, sorry for the confusion.

I’m extremely confused, how is this not all your fault.

Did the kid get out in the changeover?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
*me, an idiot at the no-lose-ur-kid front desk* "what the hell, I paid you to not lose my kid and then some dentist calls me with him? you're supposed to be a professional at this!"

*you, the suave teceptionist* "look, I said I was sorry if you're gonna be bringing all this hostility and toxicity to our relationship then I need to cut you off for my own mental health"

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m extremely confused, how is this not all your fault.

Did the kid get out in the changeover?

I’m sorry for your confusion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Palemdromes posted:

I’m sorry for your confusion.

Could you clear it up.

Because the way you tell it your just blaming the parents for you not paying attention

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

Could you clear it up.

Because the way you tell it your just blaming the parents for you not paying attention

No, I'm sorry.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Salty Josh posted:

Yeah, I can agree with that.

I wouldn't make that mistake if it was my kid though.

100%* of parents who have dropped their spouse of at work then let their kid broil to death in the backseat because they forgot the kid was there also believed this. So did every gun owner whose kid shoot a neighbor in the face. Also, every parent of a kid who drowned in the family pool, or made it from the porch to the street in the eight seconds mom or dad was distracted.

* Except for the ones who did it on purpose.

Cake dad is a moron, but he's well within normal human moron parameters. Mom is still right to be pissed, and should pin notes to the kids and leave bi-hourly voicemails every time the twins are alone with him.

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012
Please forgive my interruption of all of ...this, but I have a burning question for Pick and since this seems to be her main parlor I'll just go for it before I explode of curiosity:

Pick. Are/were you Chicken? (If not, I once knew your spiritual twin on a forum long ago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

weird