Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4PI6EMz_0s

The dubbed version of Bandit Flower is up on Gundaminfo.

That's subbed, fortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh drat, my bad.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's subbed, fortunately.

I watched the dub ver on the channel and it owns tyvm. :colbert:

I'm glad we got Best Wingman now. Even if I'm not entirely sure what's going on with the larger schemes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What was the actual new content added in December Sky vs. the regular s01 episodes? I can't find any details re: what the new footage actually was.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
From what I can gather after Living Dead was rerouted to A Baoa Qu, some Newtype cultist leader with connections to the old lady went to Side 4 and gathered up a crapload of scrapped mobile suits including the Psyco Zaku. That's why all the South Seas mobile suits are hodgepodges of GMs and Zakus. The Spartan taskforce is going to retrieve the Psyco Zaku under the pretenses that they're going after Zeon Remnants, while Daryl's team is trying to do the same thing from the Zeon side of things. Both sides recognize the South Seas Alliance as a threat due to how dangerous the Reuse Psyco Device is, and the fact that the SSA can mind control people is cause for concern given how absolutely exhausted the Federation and Zeon are after the OYW.

Lemon-Lime posted:

What was the actual new content added in December Sky vs. the regular s01 episodes? I can't find any details re: what the new footage actually was.

A few of the dodgier scenes of animation were redone and an ending montage featuring the Battle of A Baoa Qu was added to the film version. Apart from the new content, the scene that I noticed the most was how they redid the launch sequence for the Psyco Zaku.

In Bandit Flower they redid a lot of the rather embarrassing animation when Io is jumping around in the GM C trying to blow up the enemy transport planes, and I believe they also added a couple of flashback scenes at the start of the movie.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 19, 2018

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I used to hate Acguys but after watching Bandit Flower, I love these things.

It may not seem like it but that's really high praise for me.

Bianca is also my new favorite person

MechaX fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 20, 2018

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

MechaX posted:

I really started to think differently about Acguys after reading that manga about these two Zeon pilots stranded after the failed Jaburo attack. They had to walk across 2250 miles of North America, and did crazy things like break dancing, bowling, and whack-a-mole.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MechaX posted:

It may not seem like it but that's really high praise for me.

Bianca is also my new favorite person

I've liked Acguys since one of them cold clocked Karen's Ground Gundam int he head.

Bianca is a great parallel to Io. They're both combat happy nutjobs but she isn't homicidal the way he can get. I love the scene where both of them start chewing out the repair team only for the crewmembers to call them out for trashing their suits.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

LuiCypher posted:

It sure hosed him up, too.

Get ready for a wild ride (pun intended) as the show reaches the end!

Jesus you weren’t kidding.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

AtheistMantis posted:

I really started to think differently about Acguys after reading that manga about these two Zeon pilots stranded after the failed Jaburo attack. They had to walk across 2250 miles of North America, and did crazy things like break dancing, bowling, and whack-a-mole.

Which manga is this :psyduck:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ManSedan posted:

Jesus you weren’t kidding.

You finished, then?

Curious what you thought.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Azubah posted:

Lame, he should've left since everyone is an rear end in a top hat in the Sol system.

A few pages late, but Turn-A was a thing y'know. I finished it for the first time recently and I don't know why the gently caress I waited this long.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Which manga is this :psyduck:

AcGuy: 2250 miles across North America

It's just a silly single volume gag comic. They also did baseball. :v: I'd say it's worth a read, unlike Iron AcGuy which was trash. There's also Mobile Suit AcGuy but I haven't given that one a proper read yet.

I like AcGuys :3:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 20, 2018

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

RillAkBea posted:

AcGuy: 2250 miles across North America

It's just a silly single volume gag comic. They also did baseball. :v: I'd say it's worth a read, unlike Iron AcGuy which was trash. There's also Mobile Suit AcGuy but I haven't given that one a proper read yet.

I like AcGuys :3:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZzFBfzl0FQ

Found the dubbed version.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah, in thinking about the scene where the mechanics tear both Io and Bianca a new rear end in a top hat for immediately wrecking their suits, that's kind of a refreshing change from how most Gundam shows typically operate. Turn A is a little weird because it finds weapons at different places or Loran decides to read more of the manual to unlock something new, but otherwise you'll have suits just tossing experimental weapons everywhere, feet and arms getting blown off, etc, etc, only for them to just fix it off screen or say "oh we had spare parts" or something.

I can suspend my disbelief quite a bit here regardless, but there are some moments (SEED/Destiny is egregiously guilty of this) where I am just like "yo how in the gently caress did they fix Sting's (or Yzak's) Gundam after it got both of its arms and all of its weaponry lobbed off and everything fell in to the bottom of the ocean"

Overall, I kind of go back to a humorous scene in Front Mission 5 where a drill sergeant is tearing into their robot pilots and screams "this is the loving military, not a goddamn charity service, we're not giving you multi-million dollar equipment just to total all of your poo poo in the next battle"

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Bandit Flower looked great, and the dub was 100 percent, but boy it suffers from being a part II. I’m definitely interested in where the story is going though. Is the manga available anywhere?

Also I’ll post my overall thoughts on IBO after I finish sifting though them, and sit down at a computer instead of phoning it in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, December Sky stands on its own by telling a complete story (though I don't like A Bala Qu being shoehorned into the end, it works better as Bandit Flower's opening) but Bandit Flower feels like a prologue to a higher story so it suffers from needing to follow up December Sky while setting up the next season. It lacks a good conclusion as a result, and Io isn't really instigating the plot as he is reacting to it. He feels much more passive in Bandit Flower since all of the engagements in the film are already happening without him, unlike December Sky where his actions drive the main thrust of the story by starting the rivalry with Daryl and then antagonizing him the entire film.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That's a pretty good idea actually. I will probably try that one day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ManSedan posted:

Bandit Flower looked great, and the dub was 100 percent, but boy it suffers from being a part II. I’m definitely interested in where the story is going though. Is the manga available anywhere?

Also I’ll post my overall thoughts on IBO after I finish sifting though them, and sit down at a computer instead of phoning it in.

The Thunderbolt manga is currently getting a US domestic release, you can get it at Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MechaX posted:

Yeah, in thinking about the scene where the mechanics tear both Io and Bianca a new rear end in a top hat for immediately wrecking their suits, that's kind of a refreshing change from how most Gundam shows typically operate. Turn A is a little weird because it finds weapons at different places or Loran decides to read more of the manual to unlock something new, but otherwise you'll have suits just tossing experimental weapons everywhere, feet and arms getting blown off, etc, etc, only for them to just fix it off screen or say "oh we had spare parts" or something.

I can suspend my disbelief quite a bit here regardless, but there are some moments (SEED/Destiny is egregiously guilty of this) where I am just like "yo how in the gently caress did they fix Sting's (or Yzak's) Gundam after it got both of its arms and all of its weaponry lobbed off and everything fell in to the bottom of the ocean"

Overall, I kind of go back to a humorous scene in Front Mission 5 where a drill sergeant is tearing into their robot pilots and screams "this is the loving military, not a goddamn charity service, we're not giving you multi-million dollar equipment just to total all of your poo poo in the next battle"

This is something I'm liking about IBO as I sit down and really give it a go. It takes great care to show the underlying support needed to conduct a battle, giving nods to things like scouts, rearming, communication, and all the non-fighty bits. It's something I've never really seen in Gundam outside of 08th MS Team.

Turn-A could have done a better job of showing the up and coming industry Guin kept going on about. The militia had to be getting spare parts from somewhere, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't all from the mountain cycles.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Midjack posted:

The Thunderbolt manga is currently getting a US domestic release, you can get it at Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

The manga is pretty much worth it for the cover art alone. It's probably the best I've seen on a Gundam manga.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmachine posted:

This is something I'm liking about IBO as I sit down and really give it a go. It takes great care to show the underlying support needed to conduct a battle, giving nods to things like scouts, rearming, communication, and all the non-fighty bits. It's something I've never really seen in Gundam outside of 08th MS Team.

One thing I like that all Gundam series do, even with the hyper-advanced one-of-a-kind prototypes or the GN-Particle Gundams, is that Mobile Suits are massive hangar queens. Any time they're not fighting, there's at least a dozen people crawling over a single Mobile Suit to get it ready to go for the next fight all the way up to the moment combat starts.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

AtheistMantis posted:

i'm guessing they went right back to trying to genocide earth afterwards though

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

i'm guessing they went right back to trying to genocide earth afterwards though

After spending that much time trekking across America, wouldn't you?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Warmachine posted:

The militia had to be getting spare parts from somewhere, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't all from the mountain cycles.

lol at how Turn A had self repair nanomachines to get around this problem

wish I could've been a fly on the wall in writers room when someone said "What if the moustache breaks??"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

lol at how Turn A had self repair nanomachines to get around this problem

wish I could've been a fly on the wall in writers room when someone said "What if the moustache breaks??"

Syd Mead: :classiclol: idk nanobots?

Continuing my watch of IBO, just when I thought Ein's fate couldn't get worse, Boudin goes and turns him into an EXAM system doesn't he?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Syd Mead: :classiclol: idk nanobots?

Continuing my watch of IBO, just when I thought Ein's fate couldn't get worse, Boudin goes and turns him into an EXAM system doesn't he?

To be fair, he's no longer self-aware, just serving as an organic buffer to let Gaelio achieve a ludicrously high Alaya-Vijnana sync rate safely, so it's just a weird but harmless way of honouring a dead friend. Like making a sword's hilt out of someone's bones.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Warmachine posted:

A dick in a box, if you will.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm down to the last three episodes of IBO. There's no way this ends well, is there? :smith:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It will be both more hopeful than you'd imagine and worse than you'd expect.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Absolutely DO NOT READ until after you're done with the series: Mari Okada (head writer/series composer) and the rest of the writing team actually hated the OG idea, which was going to be a big kill 'em all. The ending golden bubble is mentioning is absolutely the least lovely ending they could cook up for the Iron Flower Brigade/Kudelia et al, and they basically rewrote the last fifth of the 2nd season to achieve it. It's... a thing, to be sure.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

golden bubble posted:

It will be both more hopeful than you'd imagine and worse than you'd expect.

Wark Say posted:

Absolutely DO NOT READ until after you're done with the series: Mari Okada (head writer/series composer) and the rest of the writing team actually hated the OG idea, which was going to be a big kill 'em all. The ending golden bubble is mentioning is absolutely the least lovely ending they could cook up for the Iron Flower Brigade/Kudelia et al, and they basically rewrote the last fifth of the 2nd season to achieve it. It's... a thing, to be sure.

I need a loving drink. Before I went to watch IBO, I was going to start Victory Gundam, since aside from quality issues, I've been told that it really exemplifies the "kill everyone" attitude in the franchise. Now, I feel like I can safely continue to ignore Victory and content myself to let Sunrise retcon the whole late-UC, because nothing is going to knock IBO off the top of grimdark mountain.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I need a loving drink. Before I went to watch IBO, I was going to start Victory Gundam, since aside from quality issues, I've been told that it really exemplifies the "kill everyone" attitude in the franchise. Now, I feel like I can safely continue to ignore Victory and content myself to let Sunrise retcon the whole late-UC, because nothing is going to knock IBO off the top of grimdark mountain.

Welcome to the club.

Something I found interesting about IBO's ending, in comparison to most other Gundam serieses, even the ones with a reputation for brutality, is how the suffering was meted out.

Normally, it's the supporting cast that gets it. Hero's best friend, the childhood crush, the mechanic, probably that mentor figure ace pilot. If people can tell you from the extras, but you're not on the bulk of the merch, you might as well be wearing a bullseye. Meanwhile, the leads will almost always make it out alive, even if they wish they hadn't. (Char's Counterattack was the one exception, and even that was intentionally ambiguous)

IBO, meanwhile, lets a lot of the more background guys, like Dante and Chad, live and even achieve some level of peace after the war. Meanwhile, the Gundam pilots and the boss leave their blood to nourish the Martian soil.

(Well, most of the Gundam pilots. Gaelio lived to flirt with Julieta.)

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

chiasaur11 posted:

Welcome to the club.

Something I found interesting about IBO's ending, in comparison to most other Gundam serieses, even the ones with a reputation for brutality, is how the suffering was meted out.

Normally, it's the supporting cast that gets it. Hero's best friend, the childhood crush, the mechanic, probably that mentor figure ace pilot. If people can tell you from the extras, but you're not on the bulk of the merch, you might as well be wearing a bullseye. Meanwhile, the leads will almost always make it out alive, even if they wish they hadn't. (Char's Counterattack was the one exception, and even that was intentionally ambiguous)

IBO, meanwhile, lets a lot of the more background guys, like Dante and Chad, live and even achieve some level of peace after the war. Meanwhile, the Gundam pilots and the boss leave their blood to nourish the Martian soil.

(Well, most of the Gundam pilots. Gaelio lived to flirt with Julieta.)

It rules because the only Gundam driver who doesn't end up dead is a bad guy, and Rustal wins in the end, then he does pretty much exactly what McGillis had in mind, only without being stupid as hell. Tekkadan were always boned. As soon as they were press-ganged into being mobile suit pilots, they never had an endgame outside of getting murdered, which is insanely brutal but also not out of character. It rules exactly because all of their heroics didn't matter. IBO is real as hell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ANAmal.net posted:

It rules because the only Gundam driver who doesn't end up dead is a bad guy, and Rustal wins in the end, then he does pretty much exactly what McGillis had in mind, only without being stupid as hell. Tekkadan were always boned. As soon as they were press-ganged into being mobile suit pilots, they never had an endgame outside of getting murdered, which is insanely brutal but also not out of character. It rules exactly because all of their heroics didn't matter. IBO is real as hell.

The moment Biscuit got killed was the moment they were completely hosed. Biscuit was the only consistent voice of reason, while everyone else just kept egging on Orga to try outrageous gambles with their lives. The fact they almost always worked only meant the stakes kept on getting higher and higher until the house finally won.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The moment Biscuit got killed was the moment they were completely hosed. Biscuit was the only consistent voice of reason, while everyone else just kept egging on Orga to try outrageous gambles with their lives. The fact they almost always worked only meant the stakes kept on getting higher and higher until the house finally won.

Yeah, homeboy was basically the only person who could talk Orga down, and they went nuts after he died. It just kept escalating during season 2, and in the end they were playing with house money and didn't even know, or maybe they knew and didn't care, or cared but didn't know what else to do, how utterly boned they were. It's basically Scarface but with robots and I love how well the brutal aesthetic of the mech design in the show fits with that ideology.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah, homeboy was basically the only person who could talk Orga down, and they went nuts after he died. It just kept escalating during season 2, and in the end they were playing with house money and didn't even know, or maybe they knew and didn't care, or cared but didn't know what else to do, how utterly boned they were. It's basically Scarface but with robots and I love how well the brutal aesthetic of the mech design in the show fits with that ideology.

Yeah they had more than their fair share of opportunities to just walk away throughout season two and make a decent living as Tekkadan, but they just kept betting it all on the next pipe-dream instead :sigh:.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah they had more than their fair share of opportunities to just walk away throughout season two and make a decent living as Tekkadan, but they just kept betting it all on the next pipe-dream instead :sigh:.

Yep. They even had Takaki go "Sorry guys, I'm walking away from the table while I still have cab fare." to highlight that, you know, they were in a position they could stop doubling down. But no. Orga let the pressure get to him, and in trying to make it so he wouldn't have to keep sending his guys to their deaths managed to get most of them killed.

I would object to calling Gaelio a bad guy, though. Iok, certainly. Rustal and Galan, it fits. But season 2 Gaelio?

He was an officer of Gjallarhorn who was trying to keep the solar system from falling apart. Tekkadan's little stunt had spurred piracy and chaos, so he stopped armed colonial rebellions. (You'll notice that operation allowed surrender, unlike Iok and the Turbines, or the finale). And his treatment of McGillis was exceptionally idealistic. I mean, look at his angle. A guy who you thought was your best friend has your childhood crush murdered by terrorists, turns your newest friend into a cyborg abomination as a publicity stunt to make his name hated for generations, and then cripples you while bragging about how he's going to be marrying your sister? Most people would go full Edmond Dantes for a lot less. But Gaelio's response?

"Maybe he had a good reason. I should try to understand him."

It was only when he found the reason looked like "POWER!" that he went "Whelp. Throwing in with the forces of the status quo." He even made a big speech about how he was fighting for love and human feeling, the ideals that McGillis rejected.

And after he killed McGillis? He talked after about how he regretted that he didn't understand him earlier, when he might have been able to help prevent all this tragedy.

That's part of the fun of season 2. Tekkadan's giving even less of a drat about right and wrong, only looking for what pays out for them and theirs. Meanwhile, the opposing Gundam pilot is going full on hero. Sure, he's working for Rustal, and Rustal's is a bastard man, but honestly, working for the assholes enforcing the status quo is a proud Gundam hero tradition when the stakes get high enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Season 2 made Gaelio one of my favourite characters in the franchise and not just for being "cool". The value he comes to put into understanding people, even those that did him and mean him harm is one of the most Gundam things, and his arc articulates a lot of the core themes of the metaseries. A Char type responding to another Char type, but who isn't consumed by revenge in the same way. Superficially he pursued it and even got it as Vidar, but under the mask he wished there was an alternative.