Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they should just fire the rear end in a top hat in charge of the twitter and apologize. i like their games a ton and unlike vara and other devs, i don't think they are evil conservative chud monsters, because i have seen good progressive themes/elements in their games despite their rocky areas. i know places like resetera is already talking about banning any discussion of CDPR games and that kinda makes me sad that a bunch of people get poo poo on because of one rear end in a top hat.

I hear you, and it's tempting to brush it off as "well it's just their social media person who sucks" but they clearly haven't done anything about them, or if they have, they've replaced them with someone who also sucks, so at a certain point they gotta own it.

That said.......I'm still going to buy cyberpunk and thronebreaker so I guess I'm a piece of poo poo too in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ImpAtom posted:

The fact this keeps happening and they don't issue any sort of apology makes it hard to really excuse it. At absolute best it looks like they're using people's real-world suffering to drum up controversy dollars and just deleting the tweet and pretending it didn't happen really doesn't mean poo poo.

didn't they sorta issue one after the Cyberpunk tweet?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hear you, and it's tempting to brush it off as "well it's just their social media person who sucks" but they clearly haven't done anything about them, or if they have, they've replaced them with someone who also sucks, so at a certain point they gotta own it.

That said.......I'm still going to buy cyberpunk and thronebreaker so I guess I'm a piece of poo poo too in the end

same. witcher 3 was good and had good themes and cyberpunk is building off of that. CDPR seem to learn from their gently caress ups. i mean look at witcher 1 and the gently caress cards.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Maybe I’m the minority rear end in a top hat here, but I’m not gonna not shop at GOG or stop playing the 200+ games I have from them because some dumbass made an inconsiderate tweet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Maybe I’m the minority rear end in a top hat here, but I’m not gonna not shop at GOG or stop playing the 200+ games I have from them because some dumbass made an inconsiderate tweet.

its fine, just never post like that on resetera because you would be perma banned in hot second.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm about to try playing through this for the first time. Is there any advice you can give me to help lead me in the right direction?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RC Cola posted:

I'm about to try playing through this for the first time. Is there any advice you can give me to help lead me in the right direction?

have you played 2? where you at?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its fine, just never post like that on resetera because you would be perma banned in hot second.

I’ve never heard of that site, is it a forum like this?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

chaosapiant posted:

It's the replacement for NeoGAF after NeoGAF exploded.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

yeah. its a bastard child of neogaf and one of the bigger game centric forums. basicaly they are super, super into politics(twitter left variety and are really really rigid with rules, it also has a ton of journalist and dev members apparently. the site has some good parts but they go bug gently caress at times over poo poo. also you have to jump through a ton of hoops to join unlike hear and even neogaf.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ah ok, I’ll stay away.

Anywho, I’m super pumped about Thronebreaker. I’ve read this game takes place during the Nilfgaard invasion between W2 and 3. I don’t want to spoil a character I saw in a screenshot, but my guess is that depending on some choices you made in W2, Thronebreaker is going to have its own canon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Ah ok, I’ll stay away.

Anywho, I’m super pumped about Thronebreaker. I’ve read this game takes place during the Nilfgaard invasion between W2 and 3. I don’t want to spoil a character I saw in a screenshot, but my guess is that depending on some choices you made in W2, Thronebreaker is going to have its own canon.

i just looked it up and it looks awsome, if it wasn't a card game. i could never get into gwent.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i just looked it up and it looks awsome, if it wasn't a card game. i could never get into gwent.

On easy mode you can skip the card battles completely. I’m unclear on how much gameplay remains if you do this but apparently the writing is good so I’m sold

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

On easy mode you can skip the card battles completely. I’m unclear on how much gameplay remains if you do this but apparently the writing is good so I’m sold

hmm. maybe i will try it someday. thanks for that.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014
European game developer PR guy is not up to date on latest US twatter mental bitch fit.
The horror.

On topic: read the loving books already. You will thank me later.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

chesnok posted:

European game developer PR guy is not up to date on latest US twatter mental bitch fit.
The horror.

We've been over this in these threads before but just because you don't like the topic doesn't mean you get to be a whiny little poo poo about it.

The tweet was lovely and they're responsible for the lovely beliefs of their employees if they're being sent through official channels.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think it's weird to impose western societal things on countries that may have an entirely different culture, esp ons that may or may not be p far behind in terms of progress on some things. However if you're running a twitter account, or any type of PR, really, that's seen internationally, then maybe some due dilligence is needed and it really wouldn't be that hard to take the 5 seconds to see if that hashtag has been used for something before and whether it's appropriate to use in the context they wanted.

I don't think it's something worth #cancelling a company over, personally, but I also get why people might take issue with it.

chesnok posted:

The horror.

on your first point: smoke a bowl and chill dude lol

on your second: ya people should read the books

e: also the wording of that gog tweet is p snarky at the end there so i would also not be surprised if they knew exactly what they were doing. someone probably needs to get fired

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's not a goddamn cultural thing; don't just blindly attach yourself to a hashtag without knowing what it's about. It's either a twitter dude who is absolute garbage at social media or someone who doesn't think the issue is a big deal. Either way, it is yet ANOTHER bad look for the company with stuff like this and the opportunity to hand wave these problems away came and went a while ago. Play the games all you want, but popping into the thread and going ":rolleyes: is this really an issue???" makes you look like a bigger idiot.

I'm honestly astonished after the last fiasco they didn't look over all their social media peeps, cause this is such a simple thing not to do.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm not overly familiar with the last PR hiccup CDPR/GOG had, but yeah it's a real bad look if they've had an offensive slip up before and didn't crack down on their public messaging in the interim. Social media may still be new in the grand scheme of things, but you'd think it's been around long enough now and we've seen enough companies say or do dumb poo poo that some of them would catch on and figure out a way to avoid this kind situation.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Wicked Them Beats posted:

just because you don't like the topic doesn't mean you get to be a whiny little poo poo about it.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

spends 3 pages of thread being a whiny little poo poo

protip: the world doesn't revolve around US identity politics, much less around social media platform for dyslexic cunts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Are we really going to pretend that some English speaking PR guy in Europe came up with #WillNotBeErased completely independently and put it in a tortured sentence the day after it began being used? Pretty loving huge coincidence. Europe's not some magical kingdom that doesn't receive US news. Their job is literally to sit on twitter all day.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

chesnok posted:

protip: the world doesn't revolve around US identity politics, much less around social media platform for dyslexic cunts.

The tweet in question chose specifically to engage with US identity politics, on said platform, and did it in a real lovely way that demonstrated knowledge of and contempt for the issue involved

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

chesnok posted:

lmao how do you only have one probie

It's true the world doesn't revolve around US identity politics or social issues, but if you're a company that engages with a p loving substantial audience that resides within North America, or other countries with similar values, then you drat well better take care in how you word poo poo on public, international media.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

esperterra posted:

lmao how do you only have one probie

It's true the world doesn't revolve around US identity politics or social issues, but if you're a company that engages with a p loving substantial audience that resides within North America, or other countries with similar values, then you drat well better take care in how you word poo poo on public, international media.

Yeah you can legitimately think it's a storm in a teacup but when you have hired a guy as a teacup storm preventer then this might give cause to reconsider how well they're doing, idk

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!
From what I've read, Poland is currently thriving in tech jobs and tends to have a highly educated population on the whole.

It's kind of disappointing specifically in that cyberpunk tends to be a relatively trans-friendly genre. I remember reading about a cyberpunk game where you could get a sex change back in the 90s, even. I think it was called Burn Cycle?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Ban everyone who's reading tweets unironically, preferably from the entirety of internet

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Pyromancer posted:

Ban everyone who's reading tweets unironically, preferably from the entirety of internet

Ban everyone who's reading tweets

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The only thing that should be erased is this thread.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

RC Cola posted:

Just play and try not to worry. Don't feel you have to do every single sidequest, it's better to keep up with the main quest. You also don't need to harvest every herb or sell every single sword you come across.

If you find combat tedious I strongly recommend playing on easy with godmode switched on (there's a mod for it).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

In It For The Tank posted:

The only thing that should be erased is this thread.

I get not wanting to deal with politics in games threads, but this sort of reaction to like a page of on-topic politics prompted by a political statement made by the publisher (or whatever relationship GoG has with CD Projekt) is just lazy threadshitting.

Get over it, we'll be back to talking about which sorceress to gently caress in like a page.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Blood of Elves posted:

Dear friend…

The witcher swore quietly, looking at the sharp, angular, even runes drawn with energetic sweeps of the pen, faultlessly reflecting the author’s mood. He felt once again the desire to try to bite his own backside in fury. When he was writing to the sorceress a month ago he had spent two nights in a row contemplating how best to begin. Finally, he had decided on “Dear friend.” Now he had his just deserts.

Dear friend, your unexpected letter – which I received not quite three years after we last saw each other – has given me much joy. My joy is all the greater as various rumours have been circulating about your sudden and violent death. It is a good thing that you have decided to disclaim them by writing to me; it is a good thing, too, that you are doing so so soon. From your letter it appears that you have lived a peaceful, wonderfully boring life, devoid of all sensation. These days such a life is a real privilege, dear friend, and I am happy that you have managed to achieve it.

I was touched by the sudden concern which you deigned to show as to my health, dear friend. I hasten with the news that, yes, I now feel well; the period of indisposition is behind me, I have dealt with the difficulties, the description of which I shall not bore you with. It worries and troubles me very much that the unexpected present you received from Fate brings you worries. Your supposition that this requires professional help is absolutely correct. Although your description of the difficulty – quite understandably – is enigmatic, I am sure I know the Source of the problem. And I agree with your opinion that the help of yet another magician is absolutely necessary. I feel honoured to be the second to whom you turn. What have I done to deserve to be so high on your list?

Rest assured, my dear friend; and if you had the intention of supplicating the help of additional magicians, abandon it because there is no need. I leave without delay, and go to the place which you indicated in an oblique yet, to me, understandable way. It goes without saying that I leave in absolute secrecy and with great caution. I will surmise the nature of the trouble on the spot and will do all that is in my power to calm the gushing source. I shall try, in so doing, not to appear any worse than other ladies to whom you have turned, are turning or usually turn with your supplications. I am, after all, your dear friend. Your valuable friendship is too important to me to disappoint you, dear friend.

Should you, in the next few years, wish to write to me, do not hesitate for a moment. Your letters invariably give me boundless pleasure.

Your friend Yennefer

The letter smelled of lilac and gooseberries.

It's clearly Yen.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Really, do every side quest that seems interesting because they are all pretty good, just don't feel the need to be a completionist.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Hodgepodge posted:

Get over it, we'll be back to talking about which sorceress to gently caress in like a page.

All ... All of them?

#Summonthebitches

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

adhuin posted:

All ... All of them?

#Summonthebitches

I mean, yeah, that's the correct answer. But we can't just skip right to it!

e: also gently caress the weird Red Sonja lady, etc.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

All of them is also a very good choice.

Except for Triss ofc

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Ah ok, I’ll stay away.

Thronebreaker starts in 1267, during so called Second Northern War and first Nilfgaard invasion. Witcher game series start a couple of years later.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Dapper_Swindler posted:

have you played 2? where you at?

I haven't played 1 or 2. A friend is lending me his copy of 3

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Are we really going to pretend that some English speaking PR guy in Europe came up with #WillNotBeErased completely independently and put it in a tortured sentence the day after it began being used? Pretty loving huge coincidence. Europe's not some magical kingdom that doesn't receive US news. Their job is literally to sit on twitter all day.

Let's also not pretend that other companies didn't just do similar dumb things:
https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1042106289868951554
https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1042118244239400960
https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1042164577591586817

I mean, if they'd do a simple correction/deflection, the controversy would go away. It would have been easy to delete the tweet or reply to it with "Our SM Intern got confused by the language barrier, CDPR supports #TransRights" or whatever. This is Social Media 101 and if a ~company~ can't be inoffensive on the internet they are going to have a very hard time of it. :shrug:

dreadmojo posted:

Yeah you can legitimately think it's a storm in a teacup but when you have hired a guy as a teacup storm preventer then this might give cause to reconsider how well they're doing, idk

Exactly, the dude's job is to generate positive press and interactions for his company. :nallears:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

That wasn't dumb, that was deliberately very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Love when people pretend basic human rights are a thing only the US should care about and Europe is this magical insular land where nothing bad ever happens