Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Which are the classes that people will make fun of me for playing
Dragoons just aren't in a great place right now. Emotionally, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

When I saw the axe I assumed Magnai had ventured to Eorzea at an earlier point in his life and joined the Company of Heroes. AFAIK it's just for flavor since it stands out for not really being a normal-looking axe and sort of feeds into some of the aesthetics of his attacks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Holy poo poo, Oboro just made a cameo with Alphinaud after he lowered the magitek shields.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Countblanc posted:

Magnai is way too popular with the women playerbase to be an incel

It's self inflicted by his obsession with finding his soulmate.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

a kitten posted:

Archon Throne is good, because you can never have too many flying chairs.

It is a pretty chair, but it's looks so stiff and hard to relax in.

Especially compared to the comfy chair.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Hey goons, what are your preferred methods of levelling alt classes to 60? Dungeon roulette? Palace of the Dead? FATEs? All or none of the above?

I've been doing dungeons as DRK and wondering if there's a more efficient method.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cheap Trick posted:

Hey goons, what are your preferred methods of levelling alt classes to 60? Dungeon roulette? Palace of the Dead? FATEs? All or none of the above?

I've been doing dungeons as DRK and wondering if there's a more efficient method.

Do the leveling roulette, and whatever the highest dungeon is. You can also get the Adventurer in Need bonus for every run I believe

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Meiteron posted:

I'm going to be really mad if - ok well, I think I'm going to be mad no matter what on Pyros launch - but I'm going to be extra mad if the FFXI items in subsequent Eurekas are as rare and difficult to acquire as Pagos ones.

Making the items give actual bonuses was dumb, because for some reason it inspired them to drop a bunch of extra restrictions on how you get them. Hey, you FFXI expats remember OHat, right guys? Well look, it's Hakutaku! Oh, you expected to get your cool nostalgia glamour straight from the NM like you have been led to believe from Anemos haha gently caress you go run bunny coffers for a week straight until the RNG gives you the eyes for a cluster or pay 20mil+ on the market board, loser.

Glamour items only. Direct from NMs, and not crazy rare NMs like Cassie either. Reasonable drop rate. This isn't hard guys you literally figured this out already

I don't think the bonuses were necessarily dumb considering everyone gets nerfed down to i300, but it certainly led to a lot of dumb ideas.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The dailies that are worth doing for exp are leveling, alliance, main scenario, hunts, and beast tribes, maybe trials, though you might get groups that wipe even if you gear yourself to get only ARR stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Who the gently caress is this Arenvald guy? He apparently has the Echo, because he mentioned "glimpsing the memories" of that Fordola lady.

edit: Oh, they explained he has the Echo or something like it, so I guess we're not supposed to know who he is

edit2: Thancred used to have this sort of "refreshing guy" feel about him, but now he's all gritty and serious all the time. I don't like it!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 23, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Brainamp posted:

It is a pretty chair, but it's looks so stiff and hard to relax in.

Especially compared to the comfy chair.

Try leveling as Archon, you'll find it a lot more comfortable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Who the gently caress is this Arenvald guy? He apparently has the Echo, because he mentioned "glimpsing the memories" of that Fordola lady.

edit: Oh, they explained he has the Echo or something like it, so I guess we're not supposed to know who he is

edit2: Thancred used to have this sort of "refreshing guy" feel about him, but now he's all gritty and serious all the time. I don't like it!

I mean to be fair Thancred's life is basically nonstop the universe making GBS threads on him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

They forgot Thancred had a personality. I like to imagine part of him literally died with what's-his-name, the possession guy. Evilicus.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Old Thancred: Tidus at the start of FFX

New Thancred: Tidus at the end of FFX

edit: sorry I meant Sancredo

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Arenvald's been around, and a member of the scions, since ARR. He used to hang around in the waking sands and was one of the few to escape the massacre. It was pretty fun seeing him step up into semi-prominence for SB, NPC's in this game have a habit of doing that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Doomhammer posted:

Arenvald's been around, and a member of the scions, since ARR. He used to hang around in the waking sands and was one of the few to escape the massacre. It was pretty fun seeing him step up into semi-prominence for SB, NPC's in this game have a habit of doing that.
Does he still appear in the main quest? My new character isn't far from there, I want to keep an eye out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A thought I had: I don't think anyone's ever done it, because it would be stupid, but how long can you delay the quest that unlocks mounts? Until you need your first flying mount in HW?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Does he still appear in the main quest? My new character isn't far from there, I want to keep an eye out.

He doesn't appear in the MQ until Stormblood, but he'll be back in the Waking Sands once its reclaimed, mostly being sad all his friends are dead, understandably.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Unrelated, but as I play through these Stormblood dungeons I'm confused as to how anyone manages to come close to keeping rotations timed up, given how much you have to run around and dodge stuff (at least with melee classes). It's pretty much impossible to keep an eye out for all the AoEs and mechanics while also using all my cooldowns whenever they come back up. I'm probably being overly critical, but when I hear other people talk about this stuff it sounds like it's totally normal to somehow do things almost-perfectly.

On the upside, I find myself occasionally pulling aggro with my Ninja (admittedly from trash-pulls, since I'm pretty sure it's basically impossible to do that on a boss with most classes unless the tank is loving up), which actually feels kinda good in this game because it at least means my DPS isn't lovely (and you have plenty of tools for dropping aggro).

FactsAreUseless posted:

They forgot Thancred had a personality. I like to imagine part of him literally died with what's-his-name, the possession guy. Evilicus.

I remember back when I first played FFXIV (I played up to like level 42 years back, I think before Heavensward was even released) I thought Thancred was the coolest of the Scions. Dude was pretty chill and friendly, as opposed to the "serious scholar" thing Y'shtola had going on and...whatever you'd called the Yda/Papalymo pair.

The Doomhammer posted:

Yeah, speaking of which I just had to talk to this guy who was part of that group trying to summon Rhalgr back during the ARR MSQ, along with that Wilred guy who died during the events near the end of 2.X patch content. It's neat how they frequently reference things like that; it helps to keep a "cohesive" feel to the overall setting.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 23, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just talk to NPCs in the Waking Sands after every story beat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Allarion posted:

Just talk to NPCs in the Waking Sands after every story beat.
Might as well, already have to <Pray> <Return> there after every story beat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

whatever you'd called the Yda/Papalymo pair.
Punch and Costello or Abbot and Judy.

unrelated edit: I just found out that Adama Landama bought his way to sainthood, and I love this

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

A thought I had: I don't think anyone's ever done it, because it would be stupid, but how long can you delay the quest that unlocks mounts? Until you need your first flying mount in HW?

Indefinately? I don't think you ever are required to have a mount except for some HW dungeons which are, IIRC, not required.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

Indefinately? I don't think you ever are required to have a mount except for some HW dungeons which are, IIRC, not required.
Don't you have to have one for the HW MSQ? Getting a flying mount is mandatory, isn't it? Or do you not actually have to be able to fly it, just own it?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Tashilicious posted:

Pretty sure you need a flying mount to get to the ARF in azys lla, and maybe to get around the sea of clouds before then

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

Pretty sure you need a flying mount to get to the ARF in azys lla, and maybe to get around the sea of clouds before then
Sea of Clouds definitely never requires a flying mount, since the aether currents there are optional. I don't remember Azys Lla because Azys Lla is not memorable.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't you have to have one for the HW MSQ? Getting a flying mount is mandatory, isn't it? Or do you not actually have to be able to fly it, just own it?

true. Then until then I guess.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sea of Clouds definitely never requires a flying mount, since the aether currents there are optional. I don't remember Azys Lla because Azys Lla is not memorable.

iirc, you get the azys lla aether currents from doing the msq there, then at the end of the chain you get the midgardsormr mount so you can go fly triumphantly to ARF

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

true. Then until then I guess.
No, now that you bring it up I'm not sure. The ride into Falcon's Nest is automated, you aren't riding your own mount. Like you have to get the black chocobo as a mount, but I'm not sure you ever have to mount it. You can still own mounts without the license, you just can't ride any until you do that GC quest.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

iirc, you get the azys lla aether currents from doing the msq there, then at the end of the chain you get the midgardsormr mount so you can go fly triumphantly to ARF
Are you required to do this manually or does it happen in a cutscene?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, now that you bring it up I'm not sure. The ride into Falcon's Nest is automated, you aren't riding your own mount. Like you have to get the black chocobo as a mount, but I'm not sure you ever have to mount it. You can still own mounts without the license, you just can't ride any until you do that GC quest.

No yeah, I guess I was right, the MSQ quest does not have a pre-req for having a mount.

So you can do it indefinately.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

No yeah, I guess I was right, the MSQ quest does not have a pre-req for having a mount.

So you can do it indefinately.
Lmfao this owns, how did you figure it out?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are you required to do this manually or does it happen in a cutscene?

Pretty sure it's not a cutscene

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lmfao this owns, how did you figure it out?

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/quest/7c61f718f75/

This is the MSQ pre-req for an additional blue quest. Unless someone wants to test it manually I mean, it looks like it's just "You can chose not to get a bochoco"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ytlaya posted:

You don't remember your friend Arenvald from previous expacs, huh? :(

I agree on Thancred, though.

Ytlaya posted:

and...whatever you'd called the Yda/Papalymo pair.

I think they're supposed to be a Boke and Tsukkomi Routine, just without the smacking.

Or, to use a more Western equivalent, the Three Stooges minus one.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 23, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Queer Leaflet" would be a good name for a Lalafell, or a Hellsguard Roe.

edit: I really hate Camp Drybone

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I have finally completed the hardest content in the game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They added some sort of minion battling game? I just noticed the "edit minion hotbar" option and clicked on it out of curiosity.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

FactsAreUseless posted:

They added some sort of minion battling game? I just noticed the "edit minion hotbar" option and clicked on it out of curiosity.

Verminion has been around forever but it's on the second floor of the Saucer so it might as well not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Monathin posted:

second floor of the Saucer so it might as well not exist.
Que? There's more saucer than the initial map?