Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

alex314 posted:

Thronebreaker starts in 1267, during so called Second Northern War and first Nilfgaard invasion. Witcher game series start a couple of years later.

Is there a timeskip or is that the time period it stays in? I've read more than one review that said it's between W2 and 3. That said, it would make sense for dumb reviewers to not realize that W3 is the start of the third war with Nilfgaard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'm the company that markets mostly to the west that shouldn't care about western politics because

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

RC Cola posted:

I haven't played 1 or 2. A friend is lending me his copy of 3

In that case just play as you wish. TW3 made a lot of things easier (like not having to prepare beforehand).
Sidequest tend to be a lot more as it seems, so be prepared that something that seems like a dull fetch quest might evolve into a 2h interwoven sub-story.
Beastiary entries will help you with the various enemy types and their vulnerability.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Their social media person has made transphobic jokes before, they knew exactly what they were doing mocking that hashtag. The non-apology this makes it clear that CD Projekt will not hold this person accountable and instead in fact threw a bone to "keep politics out of games" gamergate chuds. You're an rear end in a top hat if you continue to support that company.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Hodgepodge posted:

From what I've read, Poland is currently thriving in tech jobs and tends to have a highly educated population on the whole.

It's kind of disappointing specifically in that cyberpunk tends to be a relatively trans-friendly genre. I remember reading about a cyberpunk game where you could get a sex change back in the 90s, even. I think it was called Burn Cycle?

It was called Cyberpunk 2020 and poo poo like this tweet makes me goddamned furious.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

mango sentinel posted:

Their social media person has made transphobic jokes before, they knew exactly what they were doing mocking that hashtag. The non-apology this makes it clear that CD Projekt will not hold this person accountable and instead in fact threw a bone to "keep politics out of games" gamergate chuds. You're an rear end in a top hat if you continue to support that company.
Yeah, looking it up that's a textbook example of a "sorry you got offended" style non-apology.

No more buying from GOG and CDPR for me.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
who cares

hows thronebreaker?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I care.

No, I haven't played Thronebreaker.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I care too cause I want to be excited for cyberpunk and they are making it real hard

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

who cares

hows thronebreaker?

Quite a lot of people, clearly?

Was interested in thronebreaker but gonna pass I think, really disappointed that this has happened again.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Seems at least one person in the PR/Social Media team is a gamergater so, I won't link it here yet cause it seems derailing.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a timeskip or is that the time period it stays in? I've read more than one review that said it's between W2 and 3. That said, it would make sense for dumb reviewers to not realize that W3 is the start of the third war with Nilfgaard.

AFAIR it's the third Northern War and Second Nilfgaard invasion that happens in W3 :eng101: First Northern War was (I think) before Nilfgaard became a major power, and it was simply Northern Kingdoms duking it out between themselves.

As I've said in CP2077 thread: CDPR should just drop Twitter, it's impossible to not offend someone there. And someone else will be offended if they apologize.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DoctorGonzo posted:

who cares

hows thronebreaker?

A single player Gwent RPG seems extremely my poo poo so I hope it's good.

I'm hoping to have time to check it out during the weekend.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Arcsquad12 posted:

I care.

No, I haven't played Thronebreaker.

same

I won't fault anyone for hating those tweets and getting Thronebreaker anyway; That is your own circle to square. Speaking for myself, I was going to buy it when I get home but I will be holding off for now.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yeah it definitely changed my mind on thronebreaker

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

alex314 posted:

AFAIR it's the third Northern War and Second Nilfgaard invasion that happens in W3 :eng101: First Northern War was (I think) before Nilfgaard became a major power, and it was simply Northern Kingdoms duking it out between themselves.

Thronebreaker takes place between Witcher 2 and 3, so it's during the Third Northern War.

The first Northern War saw Nilfgaard overrun Cintra and push their borders right up to the Yaruga river. This war is described in Something More as the first time the Nilfgaardians pushed past the Amell Mountains in force, until they were repelled at Sodden Hill.

The Second Northern War is the one that occurs during the Saga books, where Temeria, Kaedwen, Lyria/Rivia and Aedirn plotted a preemptive strike after noticing military buildup at the Nilfgaardian border. However Nilfgaard struck first and for the first part of the war the so called "alliance" between the northern kingdoms shattered as they were taken by surprise, and only after the winter receded and Nilfgaard planned a spring offensive did the Northern Kingdoms regroup and defeat the Nilfgaardians at Brenna, with Temeria emerging as the new superpower in the North.

The Third Northern War begins in Witcher 2 after years of infighting between the Northern Kingdoms and subterfuge by Nilfgaardian Agents led to multiple regicides followed by yet another crossing of the Yaruga, where Aedirn, Temeria and Lyria/Rivia were completely overrun within months. This is where Thronebreaker takes place, during those first six months of the war.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It was called Cyberpunk 2020 and poo poo like this tweet makes me goddamned furious.

I expect you can't really talk about it beyond what you just posted but do you have any insight on exactly what the deal with the transphobic stuff is?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

chesnok posted:

European game developer PR guy is not up to date on latest US twatter mental bitch fit.
The horror.

On topic: read the loving books already. You will thank me later.

Oh no, people are mad that some Polish gently caress decided it'd be really funny to coyly joke about the reaction to the Trump admin trying to make it impossible to be legally recognized as transgender in America (thus stripping any trans person of any possible legal protections or rights related to gender). Truly this is tragic, because it disrupts your ability to talk about the dumb loving card game.

gently caress off right winger.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zedd posted:

Seems at least one person in the PR/Social Media team is a gamergater so, I won't link it here yet cause it seems derailing.

yeah. i looked at the article the dick wrote. apparently its about that time during E3 when Femfreq and her former writer producer got super upset over doom being violent and said a bunch of dumb prude poo poo. lovely but i saw other progressive sites eyeroll hard over that too. that being said if he is the one that keeps saying the anti trans poo poo, he should be sacked.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Oh no, people are mad that some Polish gently caress decided it'd be really funny to coyly joke about the reaction to the Trump admin trying to make it impossible to be legally recognized as transgender in America (thus stripping any trans person of any possible legal protections or rights related to gender). Truly this is tragic, because it disrupts your ability to talk about the dumb loving card game.

gently caress off right winger.

hosed up thing is if its the same dude who wrote the article. i don't even think he is polish.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

alex314 posted:

As I've said in CP2077 thread: CDPR should just drop Twitter, it's impossible to not offend someone there. And someone else will be offended if they apologize.

1st war with Nilfgaard happened right before the book saga, it's when Ciri became displaced and Geralt took her in.
2nd war with Nilfgaard was during the saga and took place during the 4th book if I remember correctly.
3rd war with Nilfgaard is the epilogue to W2 and setup to W3.

So three wars total, as far as the story is reckoned in the adventures of Geralt and Ciri.

Edit: gently caress Arcsquad beat me. Now I can't show off my fancy Witcher lore knowledge.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 23, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The social media manager for the CD Projekt brands is British, was pro Brexit, and vocally pro gamergate. He knew what he was doing and the tweet this morning made it very clear they aren't sorry. This is to my knowledge the third (and most egregious) incident like this and the fact he's still there indicates it's condoned and encouraged.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 23, 2018

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thronebreaker takes place between Witcher 2 and 3, so it's during the Third Northern War.

The preview starts with the rulers meeting in Hagge at 1267. Witcher 1 starts at 1270.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

mango sentinel posted:

The social media manager for the CD Projekt brands is British, was pro Brexit, and vocally pro gamergate. He knew what he was doing and the tweet this morning made it very clear they aren't sorry. This is to my knowledge the third (and most egregious) incident like this and the fact he's still there indicates it's confined and encouraged.

yeah, at this point unless cdpr fires the guy cyberpunk is rapidly approaching something i'll get for a $10 sale instead of a preorder

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

The social media manager for the CD Projekt brands is British, was pro Brexit, and vocally pro gamergate. He knew what he was doing and the tweet this morning made it very clear they aren't sorry. This is to my knowledge the third (and most egregious) incident like this and the fact he's still there indicates it's confined and encouraged.

yeah. if they had balls, they would fire the dickhead.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

If Geralt/Ciri and the characters people give a crap about aren’t in it then what’s even the point. Still think it should have been them just actually going on a grant gwent tournament tour or something.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Even if CDPR comes to my house and insults me directly to my face, I'm still going to pre-order the collector's edition of Cyberpunk the moment it's revealed. That said I'm surprised that a company as seemingly well-meaning as CDPR is on the stance of DRM is this ignorant regarding inclusiveness. It's surprising, and sad. But I'm still going to buy everything that company makes and have been for 11 years now since the Witcher 1.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Avalerion posted:

If Geralt/Ciri and the characters people give a crap about aren’t in it then what’s even the point. Still think it should have been them just actually going on a grant gwent tournament tour or something.

I'd rather have a story about some cool side characters than just shoehorning Geralt/Ciri into everything

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I was on the fence with Thronebreaker but their response makes it an easy pass for me.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Geralt will be in Thronebreaker, but only briefly.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Andrast posted:

I'd rather have a story about some cool side characters than just shoehorning Geralt/Ciri into everything

Yea, Saskia leading whatever that town of hers was called against the nilfgardian invasion might have been cool but this seems to be completely new characters entirely.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Even if CDPR comes to my house and insults me directly to my face, I'm still going to pre-order the collector's edition of Cyberpunk the moment it's revealed. That said I'm surprised that a company as seemingly well-meaning as CDPR is on the stance of DRM is this ignorant regarding inclusiveness. It's surprising, and sad. But I'm still going to buy everything that company makes and have been for 11 years now since the Witcher 1.

sadly same. Cyberpunk looks loving amazing and witcher 3 was pretty loving progressive. while i believe they should fire that dickhead GOG brexet chud, CDPR still seems ok.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

I was on the fence with Thronebreaker but their response makes it an easy pass for me.

Think I’m gonna pass too. I’d like to pretend it’s because of my uncompromising principles but the fact that I’ve got like 4 other 100-hour video games in my backlog to get through right now is also a factor

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Everyone should just delete their twitter accounts. This mass hysteria over a 140+ max characters is insane, and I am not just talking about the CDPR shitposting. People are taking it way to seriously, like if it is a matter of literal life and death, with mobs calling for collective punishment and other vile attacks over anything that they consider slightly provocative.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Everyone should just delete their twitter accounts. This mass hysteria over a 140+ max characters is insane, and I am not just talking about the CDPR shitposting. People are taking it way to seriously, like if it is a matter of literal life and death, with mobs calling for collective punishment and other vile attacks over anything that they consider slightly provocative.

i mean its a dickish thing and the GOG account has done that poo poo before. plus its pretty hosed up to use a hashtag about the possibility of the government "erasing" the concept of gender so you can sell poo poo.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm still buying it, because Meve is cool, and I despise Twitter and nothing from that cursed toxic platform can influence me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

alex314 posted:

I'm still buying it, because Meve is cool, and I despise Twitter and nothing from that cursed toxic platform can influence me.

oh i am too. well cyberpunk at least. i just get why people are upset even if i don't fully agree with some of the reactions on other sites.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm probably buying Thronebreaker (if it ends up being good) but telling other people they shouldn't care about CDPR being lovely is pretty hosed up

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think ultimately it's a really minor stupid thing that happens to have majorly understandable blow back and could have been avoided and should now be resolved by firing the guy responsible, or at least a public statement or something. I refuse to believe CDPR is a company of Nazis because some dumbass with internet access was given too much leeway, but until they deal with it they deserve every bit of blowback. I mean, not from me of course, i'll buy everything they put out. But still, I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Anybody interested in the books: the trade paperback versions of the books are all part of Barnes and Noble's 3 for $30 promotion, which works for more than just three books. It also stacks with the $10 off $60 YAYFALL, so you can get all 7 books for $60 plus tax. That is as good of a deal on them as I've seen, and the books are well worth reading.

Edit: Today is the last day for the promotions, I think.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 23, 2018