Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep. They even had Takaki go "Sorry guys, I'm walking away from the table while I still have cab fare." to highlight that, you know, they were in a position they could stop doubling down. But no. Orga let the pressure get to him, and in trying to make it so he wouldn't have to keep sending his guys to their deaths managed to get most of them killed.

I would object to calling Gaelio a bad guy, though. Iok, certainly. Rustal and Galan, it fits. But season 2 Gaelio?

He was an officer of Gjallarhorn who was trying to keep the solar system from falling apart. Tekkadan's little stunt had spurred piracy and chaos, so he stopped armed colonial rebellions. (You'll notice that operation allowed surrender, unlike Iok and the Turbines, or the finale). And his treatment of McGillis was exceptionally idealistic. I mean, look at his angle. A guy who you thought was your best friend has your childhood crush murdered by terrorists, turns your newest friend into a cyborg abomination as a publicity stunt to make his name hated for generations, and then cripples you while bragging about how he's going to be marrying your sister? Most people would go full Edmond Dantes for a lot less. But Gaelio's response?

"Maybe he had a good reason. I should try to understand him."

It was only when he found the reason looked like "POWER!" that he went "Whelp. Throwing in with the forces of the status quo." He even made a big speech about how he was fighting for love and human feeling, the ideals that McGillis rejected.

And after he killed McGillis? He talked after about how he regretted that he didn't understand him earlier, when he might have been able to help prevent all this tragedy.

That's part of the fun of season 2. Tekkadan's giving even less of a drat about right and wrong, only looking for what pays out for them and theirs. Meanwhile, the opposing Gundam pilot is going full on hero. Sure, he's working for Rustal, and Rustal's is a bastard man, but honestly, working for the assholes enforcing the status quo is a proud Gundam hero tradition when the stakes get high enough.

McGillis' fundamental failing was he never grew beyond being that abused little boy, and season 2 does a wonderful job of peeling back the layers to show just how fundamentally broken and simple-minded he actually is. His plan was a child's escapism fantasy without any detail to it beyond "Get the Bael Gundam and be King of Everything", and when it came up against reality it fell over hard. The sad thing is he really was in the perfect place to ignite a real revolution, and even had devoutly-loyal allies who would've backed him all the way if he'd been able to come at his plan as an adult and not burned all his potential assets for petty revenge. Instead he thought doing it alone would work, and even at the end thought he was super-cool awesome badass when in fact they just didn't want to waste the ammo swatting down the Bael Gundam when Gaelio could do the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I liked how when the Mobile Armor starts going nuts and all the Gallerjhorn high ups think McGillis is aiming for a fancy medal that will place his ranking higher up and ACTUALLY give him a serious leg up... well turns out he hadn’t even thought of that.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Instead he thought doing it alone would work, and even at the end thought he was super-cool awesome badass when in fact they just didn't want to waste the ammo swatting down the Bael Gundam when Gaelio could do the job.

Even worse for him, I felt like Rustal wanted all the grunts to witness the mystical Bael get taken down by a single pilot. Killing the mystique is a good way to stave off future rebellions and neuter the symbol of a single charismatic figure leading the vanguard of a revolution.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

Turn-A could have done a better job of showing the up and coming industry Guin kept going on about. The militia had to be getting spare parts from somewhere, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't all from the mountain cycles.

The militia pull spare beam rifles, shields etc. for the Turn A out of mountain cycles, along with at least some missiles and the Moonrace also found some nukes. Guin was having missiles manufactured as well though, and Sid/Guin talk about how the Turn A is going to be testing some missiles out in a coming battle around the late teens somewhere, as newly manufactured ones are being carted around in the background. I'd assume they were probably manufacturing bullets and some simpler parts for Kapools and Borjanons too. It helps too that the militia hired some Moonrace scientists and engineers to work for them when they felt the Moonrace militia was mistreating them, and Horace (the head Moonrace engineer they hire) at least does some work on both the Turn A and Willgame along with Sid and Ladderum. Horace probably helped them understand what they needed to know to manufacture parts for those suits.

Guin also allies with Gym specifically because he wants more knowledge of Moonrace stuff and for Gym to mass produce the Turn A, and mentions several times that he wants the Turn A studied so that it can be replicated. Given that it's not really hard to imagine he had at least one Kapool or some captured Moonrace suits (a WaD or something) sent off to be studied.

Marx Headroom posted:

Even worse for him, I felt like Rustal wanted all the grunts to witness the mystical Bael get taken down by a single pilot. Killing the mystique is a good way to stave off future rebellions and neuter the symbol of a single charismatic figure leading the vanguard of a revolution.

He killed the mystique of single pilots taking on an army by having a single pilot kill a machine that took on loads of people? That just sounds like it'd start a myth about Kimaris rather than kill the idea altogether.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The industry comment is more of me wishing we had an on-screen tour of one of the factories that showed it making replacement parts for Kapools or something. I think it would have driven home the idea that yes Amerian technology is advancing FAST with the discovery of the spacer technology in the mountain cycles. Look, they can make replacement mechanical parts for the simpler machines they dig up. It just bugs me that we never saw that on screen, and were only told about it through conversation.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep. They even had Takaki go "Sorry guys, I'm walking away from the table while I still have cab fare." to highlight that, you know, they were in a position they could stop doubling down. But no. Orga let the pressure get to him, and in trying to make it so he wouldn't have to keep sending his guys to their deaths managed to get most of them killed.

I would object to calling Gaelio a bad guy, though. Iok, certainly. Rustal and Galan, it fits. But season 2 Gaelio?

He was an officer of Gjallarhorn who was trying to keep the solar system from falling apart. Tekkadan's little stunt had spurred piracy and chaos, so he stopped armed colonial rebellions. (You'll notice that operation allowed surrender, unlike Iok and the Turbines, or the finale). And his treatment of McGillis was exceptionally idealistic. I mean, look at his angle. A guy who you thought was your best friend has your childhood crush murdered by terrorists, turns your newest friend into a cyborg abomination as a publicity stunt to make his name hated for generations, and then cripples you while bragging about how he's going to be marrying your sister? Most people would go full Edmond Dantes for a lot less. But Gaelio's response?

"Maybe he had a good reason. I should try to understand him."

It was only when he found the reason looked like "POWER!" that he went "Whelp. Throwing in with the forces of the status quo." He even made a big speech about how he was fighting for love and human feeling, the ideals that McGillis rejected.

And after he killed McGillis? He talked after about how he regretted that he didn't understand him earlier, when he might have been able to help prevent all this tragedy.

That's part of the fun of season 2. Tekkadan's giving even less of a drat about right and wrong, only looking for what pays out for them and theirs. Meanwhile, the opposing Gundam pilot is going full on hero. Sure, he's working for Rustal, and Rustal's is a bastard man, but honestly, working for the assholes enforcing the status quo is a proud Gundam hero tradition when the stakes get high enough.

I also like this take on Gaelio. It mirrors how I started seeing him. As for the ending, I find that one of the themes is that the positive change that the idealistic characters wanted to see in the world has a very high price tag. Upending a social order is a monumental task, and IBO makes it clear that you might not be alive to see the fruits of your labor. And even if they are, they might not be as utopian as you hoped.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

The militia pull spare beam rifles, shields etc. for the Turn A out of mountain cycles, along with at least some missiles and the Moonrace also found some nukes. Guin was having missiles manufactured as well though, and Sid/Guin talk about how the Turn A is going to be testing some missiles out in a coming battle around the late teens somewhere, as newly manufactured ones are being carted around in the background. I'd assume they were probably manufacturing bullets and some simpler parts for Kapools and Borjanons too. It helps too that the militia hired some Moonrace scientists and engineers to work for them when they felt the Moonrace militia was mistreating them, and Horace (the head Moonrace engineer they hire) at least does some work on both the Turn A and Willgame along with Sid and Ladderum. Horace probably helped them understand what they needed to know to manufacture parts for those suits.

Guin also allies with Gym specifically because he wants more knowledge of Moonrace stuff and for Gym to mass produce the Turn A, and mentions several times that he wants the Turn A studied so that it can be replicated. Given that it's not really hard to imagine he had at least one Kapool or some captured Moonrace suits (a WaD or something) sent off to be studied.

He killed the mystique of single pilots taking on an army by having a single pilot kill a machine that took on loads of people? That just sounds like it'd start a myth about Kimaris rather than kill the idea altogether.

Not really. The Kimaris had no special significance like the Bael does, it's merely "a" Gundam. Killing the Bael is the destruction of an old symbol of power, and to have it struck down by a single opponent just shows how little the Bael Gundam truly means in modern times because it wasn't worth bringing the full force of the fleet against it. Remember that the only person who thought the Bael could actually do a one-man-army run at the fleet was McGillis himself, everyone else knew drat well that single Gundam was just target practice.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

I didn't think it wast his It think it was Rustal just doing Gaillo a solid. He knew that he wanted to take out McGillis himself and Gaillo's been loyal to him throughout.

As a side note, I loving love IBO and I really appreciate it on rewatching some episodes again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Monaghan posted:

I didn't think it wast his It think it was Rustal just doing Gaillo a solid. He knew that he wanted to take out McGillis himself and Gaillo's been loyal to him throughout.

As a side note, I loving love IBO and I really appreciate it on rewatching some episodes again.

Pretty much. It was a no-lose scenario. Rustal allows Gaelio to fight the duel he's been after for the entirety of S2. If Gaelio wins, Rustal's primary enemy is defeated and Rustal has proven himself trustworthy to Gaelio Bauduin, the scion of a powerful Seven Stars family and natural ally. If Gaelio loses, Rustal simply orders the fleet to kill McGillis and either Gaelio is dead(and thus out of the political picture as a potential complication in the future) or is badly injured(and thus Rustal saves him and ensures his continued loyalty).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. The Kimaris had no special significance like the Bael does, it's merely "a" Gundam. Killing the Bael is the destruction of an old symbol of power, and to have it struck down by a single opponent just shows how little the Bael Gundam truly means in modern times because it wasn't worth bringing the full force of the fleet against it. Remember that the only person who thought the Bael could actually do a one-man-army run at the fleet was McGillis himself, everyone else knew drat well that single Gundam was just target practice.

That the Kimaris had no special significance before does not mean it cannot ever have any, and being the single machine that took down a legend will probably make it a legend in itself going forward. If Bael is only significant to McGillis and everyone just sees it as a single mobile suit, then it has no myth to destroy and if anyone else believes in Bael then they'll probably just transfer that belief to Kimaris after their fight.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 24, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The guy that voiced Bernie and Seabook suddenly passed away.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-10-23/gundam-inuyasha-voice-actor-kouji-tsujitani-passes-away/.138518

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Also, I think it's criminal that there were no Barbatos/IBO based suits in any of the Build Fighters series, outside of the Galbaldy Rebake.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It would be hard for there to be IBO suits in Build Fighters or Try since they both aired before IBO existed.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Warmachine posted:

The industry comment is more of me wishing we had an on-screen tour of one of the factories that showed it making replacement parts for Kapools or something. I think it would have driven home the idea that yes Amerian technology is advancing FAST with the discovery of the spacer technology in the mountain cycles. Look, they can make replacement mechanical parts for the simpler machines they dig up. It just bugs me that we never saw that on screen, and were only told about it through conversation.

I did wonder how they were planning on making nuclear reactors for the Zaku Borjarnon when they were having trouble making planes with wings that stay on. :v:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kanos posted:

It would be hard for there to be IBO suits in Build Fighters or Try since they both aired before IBO existed.

Ok, Divers then.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

Also, I think it's criminal that there were no Barbatos/IBO based suits in any of the Build Fighters series, outside of the Galbaldy Rebake.

The Gusion, but with TWO hammers

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Some unholy Gusion OG/Rebake hybrid with four hammers, surely?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gusion Rebake and every arm has the Barbatos Lupis Rex's mace.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lupus Rex with five tail blades.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/M2tQuhb

Of course, the pilot would have to be on PCP to properly mimic the effects of the limiter removal but whatever it takes to win, right?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 23, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Lupus Rex with five tail blades.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/M2tQuhb

Of course, the pilot would have to be on PCP to properly mimic the effects of the limiter removal but whatever it takes to win, right?

This is edgelord as hell and I love it. Guy did a good job on the model to boot!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Goodbye Bernie

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-10-23/gundam-inuyasha-voice-actor-kouji-tsujitani-passes-away/.138518

:negative:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

That it had no special significance before does not mean it cannot ever have any, and being the single machine that took down a legend will probably make it a legend in itself going forward. If Bael is only significant to McGillis and everyone just sees it as a single mobile suit, then it has no myth to destroy and if anyone else believes in Bael then they'll probably just transfer that belief to Kimaris after their fight.

IBO endgame:

Well, we see Rustal isn't exactly terrified of legend building from how Julieta ends things, so Kimaris getting some hype isn't the worst thing in the world.

But even beyond that, there's "An ancient legend returns!" versus "We took our best pilots and our best equipment, and that was good enough." While Bael was factory stock, Kimaris Vidar was upgraded with all the newest options. The modern Gjallarhorn was stronger than the ancient idols.

Besides, the two people most invested in symbols over substance were Gaelio and McGillis. Best to let them settle up.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 24, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

With all the big blocks of 100% spoiler it might be worth a few words in clear at the beginning to let people who haven't seen IBO know what they may not be about to stumble into.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

McGillis' fundamental failing was he never grew beyond being that abused little boy, and season 2 does a wonderful job of peeling back the layers to show just how fundamentally broken and simple-minded he actually is. His plan was a child's escapism fantasy without any detail to it beyond "Get the Bael Gundam and be King of Everything", and when it came up against reality it fell over hard. The sad thing is he really was in the perfect place to ignite a real revolution, and even had devoutly-loyal allies who would've backed him all the way if he'd been able to come at his plan as an adult and not burned all his potential assets for petty revenge. Instead he thought doing it alone would work, and even at the end thought he was super-cool awesome badass when in fact they just didn't want to waste the ammo swatting down the Bael Gundam when Gaelio could do the job.

again he's a Space Libertarian, he doesn't actually hate the corrupt system, his only problem is that he isn't in charge of it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

again he's a Space Libertarian, he doesn't actually hate the corrupt system, his only problem is that he isn't in charge of it

I don't think his ideology is even that developed. He's literally just an abused, traumatised little kid who wants to roleplay Edmond Dantes after seeing a Count of Monte Cristo movie - libertarianism may be dumb, but it engages with politics and the political system in a way that McGillis doesn't seem capable of.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think his ideology is even that developed. He's literally just an abused, traumatised little kid who wants to roleplay Edmond Dantes after seeing a Count of Monte Cristo movie

in other words, a libertarian

okay that's me being glib but libertarianism is basically a dose of "gently caress you got mine" combined with a lack of knowledge of the consequences or indeed anything at all besides that

he's like the Libertarian Kids Club

Libertarian Babies, We Make Our Dreams Come True Except When I Get Shot

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

I did wonder how they were planning on making nuclear reactors for the Zaku Borjarnon when they were having trouble making planes with wings that stay on. :v:

Minovsky physics is down a different tech tree than flight, obviously.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

With all the big blocks of 100% spoiler it might be worth a few words in clear at the beginning to let people who haven't seen IBO know what they may not be about to stumble into.
Right, my bad for starting this spoiler bar-festival. :ohdear:

I am not completely happy with how Iron Blooded Orphans turned out on the whole, but the fact that it decided to go to the places it went by the end, I can appreciate it a lot more than, say, the Seed/Seed Destiny, Age or hell, even 00 to an extent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

in other words, a libertarian

okay that's me being glib but libertarianism is basically a dose of "gently caress you got mine" combined with a lack of knowledge of the consequences or indeed anything at all besides that

he's like the Libertarian Kids Club

Libertarian Babies, We Make Our Dreams Come True Except When I Get Shot

What I mean is that libertarianism is an ideology. It's something you'd stand for or campaign on. It's mythical thinking applied to politics, but it's applied to politics. Libertarians acknowledge the current governmental system exists, even if only because they want to burn it down. Our dude hasn't even got that far.

It's like the difference between Ted Cruz and someone claiming to be the heir of George III and charging the Capitol waving a British flag and a musket, if you get me.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Or charging a 300 year old mobile suit at one with a modern referb, personalized to it's pilot and with a bleeding edge system that replicates the most potent tech around without the drawback. Covered in drills.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jackhunter64 posted:

Moonrace engineers and stolen or copied Moonrace tech presumably, though they'd probably also take long enough to get anything out if them that if a suit breaks to the extent it needs a new reactor they'd probably just scrap it during it war and either hope a new one is dug up or else steal more Moonrace suits to replace the scrapped one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yinlock posted:

That doesn't contradict his plan of "I have the Bael Gundam, do as I say!" Which is literally what his entire plan was. He fully expected having the Bael Gundam would make the entire Seven Stars family fall in line behind him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Big news, the latest update to Gundam Battle Operation 2 has added an option to have pretty much all text in the game be in English, which combined with it being free means pretty much everyone here with a PS4 should hop on if they haven't yet

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ZszWyfyuE

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Big news, the latest update to Gundam Battle Operation 2 has added an option to have pretty much all text in the game be in English, which combined with it being free means pretty much everyone here with a PS4 should hop on if they haven't yet

Is it actually free or is it the kind of game you have to whale to even play but it's "free"?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is it actually free or is it the kind of game you have to whale to even play but it's "free"?

It's actually reasonably free. The only microtransactions at the moment are for tokens to get extra supply drops. Supply drops are random though. You may get an awesome rare/high lvl mobile suit, or you may get a slightly upgraded weapon for a mobile suit you don't even own. Even if you do hit gold and get something ridiculous like FA Gundam (TB) most game modes have cost caps on them anyway so it's at the very least impractical to pay2win at the moment.

There's no limit on play time either. You currently get a bonus on your first 3 missions for the day and rewards are greatly reduced for any further missions. That feels more like a measure to limit players ability to level up while the player base is growing, though it may turn into a way to pay2win in the future.

They are still rolling out features though, so there may be more ways to waste money in the future.

About the only complaints I have about the game are that the new open world lobby doesn't currently add anything to the gameplay, and that matchmaking needs to be taken out back and shot.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 24, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not really, you aren't limited in how many times you can play(unlike the first game), and the game is relatively generous with the resources it gives you even if you never put any money into it, you just have to be willing to be patient as it can take some time to build up a good roster of suits

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That doesn't contradict his plan of "I have the Bael Gundam, do as I say!" Which is literally what his entire plan was. He fully expected having the Bael Gundam would make the entire Seven Stars family fall in line behind him.

yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you on that front

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
New Free to Play Gundam infantry online game?! I merely checked the thread to see about news regarding the franchise after being away for a while and I'm met with some of the best gaming news I've heard in years. Cheers, bros. :dance:

What's the consensus on MSG? Is the series or movies better? I've heard mixed opinions on both.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dishwasher posted:

What's the consensus on MSG? Is the series or movies better? I've heard mixed opinions on both.

IMO the films have better pacing because they cut a bunch of the enemy-of-the-week episodes and the increased speed at which they go through the main thrust of the plot makes the White Base crew's situation feel more urgent which fits the context better. Some people argue they feel disjointed and rushed since it's compressing an entire show (minus cuts) into three 2-hour films with basically no regard with making them "flow" like actual films with a beginning, a middle and an end, which is a valid complaint but not something that bothers me.

The films also removes a small handful of the more super-robot accessories from the series (the Gundam hammer is removed, the G-Armor is replaced with the Core Booster), there's a handful of animation fixes wherever it's really needed, and there's a bunch of new footage of the climactic battles in the third film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Yinlock posted:

yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you on that front

The end of IBO actually rules because Most of what they were fighting for, Rustal ends up doing himself. The Seven Stars go away, Mars is free or at least has some degree of autonomy, and there's no more Human Debris. It's just ironic as hell that Tekkadan and McGillis tried to get there through sheer volume of murder, but Rustal manages to actually get there by maneuvering within the system itself, using their doomed coup as a means to an end (though I guess they did help it along by terminating 3 or 4 of the Seven Stars bloodlines along the way). McGillis was a misguided doofus who lead Tekkadan to the slaughter, but in the end they did help create a better world, for everyone except themselves. Iron-Blooded Orphans is so good, dang.