Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kaiten's spinning is only made better by the fact that the animation doesn't account for movement. So you start whipping your sword around as you slide out of an aoe marker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm back to being an angry dragongirl.

Which katana is that? I need to know.

Also, nice shoulder bird.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Prism posted:

Which katana is that? I need to know.

Also, nice shoulder bird.

Ninety percent sure that's the Hive Katana.

e: Unless it's the Suzaku katana, haven't checked that one yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Monathin posted:

Ninety percent sure that's the Hive Katana.

e: Unless it's the Suzaku katana, haven't checked that one yet.

It's Suzaku.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
My favorite part of Kaiten is that with the right weaponspeed you sort of spin-slam it into the sheath before the animation fully finishes and you feel like jetstream sam.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Moulinet has this really cool on the fly grip change that's impossible to see with all the Red Mage glows and poo poo.

https://giant.gfycat.com/ShoddyShinyIceblueredtopzebra.webm

edit: gently caress your tables

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I finished a raidset on time for once and I'm happy enough to post about it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

euphronius posted:

Rip that guy. Was he important?
That's Louiso 9, king boss of magic dudes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's Louiso 9, king boss of magic dudes.

Yeah I left the log in page up once and I saw a movie where he eats it against a dragon. The dragon casted hot air or something. Why didn’t he teleport away.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

euphronius posted:

Yeah I left the log in page up once and I saw a movie where he eats it against a dragon. The dragon casted hot air or something. Why didn’t he teleport away.

Because he was busy teleporting the 1.0 refugees into glorious 2.0.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Unless you weren't a 1.0 player, in which case it failed horribly and the original Warrior of Light disappeared from existence.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

euphronius posted:

Because after he teleported all the 1.0 players into the future he stayed behind and (binding coil of bahamut spoilers) went super saiyan and OHKO'd Bahamut, preventing the total destruction of Eorzea. But then had all his aether consumed by Bahamut's regeneration process

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Arist posted:

It's Suzaku.

Thanks! I knew it wasn't the Hive one (wrong colour) but I had no idea what it actually was.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Gruckles posted:

Because after he teleported all the 1.0 players into the future he stayed behind and (binding coil of bahamut spoilers) went super saiyan and OHKO'd Bahamut, preventing the total destruction of Eorzea. But then had all his aether consumed by Bahamut's regeneration process

Still the best opening cinematic to a raid encounter yet was T12.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

answers sucks and rise is the far superior end-raid theme. don't @ me

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Another good character name based on an in-game object: Curious Tussock

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

@World War Mammories
:wrong:

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

Every mistake I ever made that caused your death in a raid? They were on purpose actually.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

@World War Mammories
:wrong:

this is precisely the opposite of what i requested

TooManyUzukis posted:

Every mistake I ever made that caused your death in a raid? They were on purpose actually.

i know fenra <3

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

World War Mammories posted:

I don't often challenge people to a battle to the death, but here I am. Yet again.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Sephiroth is still my favorite trial because every time I fight him I feel my muscles get bigger irl

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

is there a site you can use to see what all the high end gear looks like? when browsing for glamour ideas i'll sometimes check out eorzea collection and whatever shows up in the market board, but i'd love to see a list of say, raid armor, that doesn't necessarily show up in those places

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

is there a site you can use to see what all the high end gear looks like? when browsing for glamour ideas i'll sometimes check out eorzea collection and whatever shows up in the market board, but i'd love to see a list of say, raid armor, that doesn't necessarily show up in those places

Garland tools added a model viewer. It's not perfect since you can't see what it's like on a person, but it's still pretty dang good.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Chokatoo.

Unsure of the source. :(

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 23, 2018

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Renegret posted:

Sephiroth is still my favorite trial because every time I fight him I feel my muscles get bigger irl

sephirot is my favorite trial because i am a xaela dark knight main and thus Fiend is my anthem

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Garland tools added a model viewer. It's not perfect since you can't see what it's like on a person, but it's still pretty dang good.

this works, thanks!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kaubocks posted:

Just learned of this site. It's not fully updated for the i390 gear yet but it has all the old stuff it looks like.

https://www.ffxivcollection.com/

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Kaubocks posted:

sephirot is my favorite trial because i am a xaela dark knight main and thus Fiend is my anthem

Sephirot is my favorite trial because since it exists, every time someone in my raid group misjudges the size of a boss arena and accidentally walks off the outside into a death pit I can shout THE EDGE IS CALLING TONIGHT into voice chat and everyone laughs

Fake edit: it might just be me laughing

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Allarion posted:

Just learned of this site. It's not fully updated for the i390 gear yet but it has all the old stuff it looks like.

https://www.ffxivcollection.com/

Please tell me someone in the FC has this outfit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Meiteron posted:

Sephirot is my favorite trial because since it exists, every time someone in my raid group misjudges the size of a boss arena and accidentally walks off the outside into a death pit I can shout THE EDGE IS CALLING TONIGHT into voice chat and everyone laughs

I enjoy saying that in the trial, too. We can laugh together.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Unrelated, but as I play through these Stormblood dungeons I'm confused as to how anyone manages to come close to keeping rotations timed up, given how much you have to run around and dodge stuff (at least with melee classes). It's pretty much impossible to keep an eye out for all the AoEs and mechanics while also using all my cooldowns whenever they come back up. I'm probably being overly critical, but when I hear other people talk about this stuff it sounds like it's totally normal to somehow do things almost-perfectly.

It's mostly practice. At a certain point your rotation becomes muscle memory and you can do it in your sleep. Once the bulk of what you do is on autopilot, you have the mental space to watch for refreshing cooldowns and the like, but I remember it being overwhelming at the start too.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Meiteron posted:

"Look away."
"Disobey."

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Chaos Thrust's japanese name is an idiom that literally translates as like Cherry Blossoms Blooming Out of Season, to convey the idea of order falling apart, shortened to just Chaos for us
but it explains why there's a bunch of cherry blossoms and a koto sound

RME
Feb 20, 2012

apparently it can also mean like, something retrending
im not an expert on japanese idioms as it turns out, but you get the idea

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Philonius posted:

It's mostly practice. At a certain point your rotation becomes muscle memory and you can do it in your sleep. Once the bulk of what you do is on autopilot, you have the mental space to watch for refreshing cooldowns and the like, but I remember it being overwhelming at the start too.

I imagine a big part of it is whether you've done the same fight repeatedly back-to-back, since if you've done it repeatedly you'd at least have some sense of when you don't need to be actively paying attention as much, but even in the best case scenario I don't see how it's possible to simultaneously be running and dodging things and also noticing that skills A, B, and C have come back off cooldown and do the mental logic of choosing which thing to refresh. The only stuff that is truly just muscle memory is your core combo; literally everything else relies upon keeping track of meters or stuff coming off of 60+ second cooldowns (and unless you have some perfect internal clock, it's not really feasible to instantly know X seconds have passed without looking at the button). This sort of notably contrasts with my WoW experience (at least back when I played a Windwalker Monk during Mists of Pandaria), where I actually was able to play off muscle memory in the way you describe.

Part of it is likely that my brain is just abnormally bad at multitasking. Like, I've played MMOs alongside friends, so there's no discrepency in experience between us, and been genuinely fascinated at how they can simultaneously play and notice what other players are doing, which is just sort of inconceivable to me. It's like reading a book while playing piano or something.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
It's practiced time, and game knowledge gained over time. It's laughably easy to recognize when a DPS is being poo poo if you just watch their GCDs / animations for melee. Also, ACT is pretty much what everyone uses constantly so it's even more plainly obvious when your BLM is a thunder mage.

Also yeah, you memorize fights. You learn when things do / don't work. You'll figure out your rotation when you get there, i think you're leveling based on posting? Leveling content is not the best to learn on since it isn't really the same as 'do 15 minutes of your rotation while doing mechanics' you don't encounter those kind of fights for awhile. Best you could do if you REALLY wanted to focus on it is watch netflix while practicing your opening buttons on a dummy.

e,fb while editing, but still: If you want to get better at noticing cooldowns, do what basically everyone else did: make a hotbar specific for them, and place it closer to center of screen / make it larger, do something to make it super obvious HEY WATCH THESE BUTTONS apart from your regular stack of buttons.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 24, 2018

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013
Adjusting your hud layout goes a long way towards helping you notice ogcds coming off cooldown. I keep a separate hotbar on top of my my crossbars with all my ogcds on it, and since it''s so close to my character it's very easy to catch a skill coming off cooldown in my peripheral vision while keeping focused on the arena and AoEs. I also keep the enemy health and debuff bar down there, which also helps keep my eyes focused on a small part of the screen and keep an eye on dots and the like. I know a lot of people keep extra vertical bars near their characters with important skills on it to make it easier to notice without distracting too much from the fight itself. There's a lot of ways to play around with the layout if you think that might help.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I imagine a big part of it is whether you've done the same fight repeatedly back-to-back, since if you've done it repeatedly you'd at least have some sense of when you don't need to be actively paying attention as much, but even in the best case scenario I don't see how it's possible to simultaneously be running and dodging things and also noticing that skills A, B, and C have come back off cooldown and do the mental logic of choosing which thing to refresh. The only stuff that is truly just muscle memory is your core combo; literally everything else relies upon keeping track of meters or stuff coming off of 60+ second cooldowns (and unless you have some perfect internal clock, it's not really feasible to instantly know X seconds have passed without looking at the button). This sort of notably contrasts with my WoW experience (at least back when I played a Windwalker Monk during Mists of Pandaria), where I actually was able to play off muscle memory in the way you describe.

Part of it is likely that my brain is just abnormally bad at multitasking. Like, I've played MMOs alongside friends, so there's no discrepency in experience between us, and been genuinely fascinated at how they can simultaneously play and notice what other players are doing, which is just sort of inconceivable to me. It's like reading a book while playing piano or something.

Just come play machinist with me which has a clockwork rotation with nearly 0 deviation. It's fun!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Just come play machinist with me which has a clockwork rotation with nearly 0 deviation. It's fun!
So you heard "bad at multitasking" and thought "come play machinist?"

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I mean this is Dragoon but without being violently poo poo on by Wildfire mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011