Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Wasn’t Chuck being gay a thing people rumored about? I don’t know if there was anything to it or if it was just 90s/00s homophobia.

I'm pretty sure it was just homophobia that came from ANUS. Might've gotten reignited after Paul Masvidal came out a few years ago and people started examining the lyrics to The Philosopher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just homophobia that came from ANUS. Might've gotten reignited after Paul Masvidal came out a few years ago and people started examining the lyrics to The Philosopher.

What was the whole anus vs chuck thing anyway? I was obsessed with the Florida scene / Death in the late 00s and remember going to anus too but I don’t remember that stuff.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/just-great-stories-torche :/

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kilometers Davis posted:

What was the whole anus vs chuck thing anyway? I was obsessed with the Florida scene / Death in the late 00s and remember going to anus too but I don’t remember that stuff.

Anus was dumb, p much

I saw a super old dude with a ridiculously long white beard at the show last night, just standing right in front of the stage quietly taking it all in like some kind of death metal wizard.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Kilometers Davis posted:

They/he just didn't like Chuck I think. The fact that his death certificate says that he died of pneumonia (which used to be and might still be a coded way of saying AIDS) made it easy for them to propagate this theory. It really was quite insane, like they'd send letters to Chucks sister iirc.
Everything metal related seems to have been wiped from the ANUS site but luckily the internet archive exists.

I mean, this is the description for Death.

quote:

One of the first to popularize (but not invent: Possessed, Massacra, Sepultura, Morbid Angel, Deathstrike, Hellhammer and Necrovore predate them) the death metal genre, Death bashed out simple structures from strips of chords and make declarative, intense works of violence. Their first three albums are simple death metal, and with "Human" they went progressive, but reverted to a technical heavy metal style for later works, which are overpraised. Vocalist/guitarist Chuck Schuldiner died of AIDS in 2001.

And the only album reviewed is Spiritual Healing.

And then of course, there is this.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111006023143/http://www.anus.com:80/metal/about/metal/chuck_schuldiner

Chuck Schuldiner: Legend or Ideological Disaster?
Assimilationists and False Martyrs Delight the Crowd, Kill the Genre

Containing such gems as:

quote:

Chuck Schuldiner was a latecomer to the death metal party but, thanks to superior marketing knowledge, has been given credit for "inventing" the genre. Although this is historically inaccurate, history is written by those with the money. At some point in his later career, he decided to reverse his earlier more metal outlook and support the assimilation of metal by the denial-happy society around it, both through music (reversion to heavy metal/rock) and ideology (secular humanism/Christianity). Capitalizing on his unearned status as a leader, Schuldiner attempted to destroy metal by assimilation. When you remove what makes something unique, it becomes a variation of something else, and soon melds into that larger thing and its independent expression is lost.

and

quote:

After several solid albums, Chuck began to feel envious of the progressive rock-metal and big metal bands he saw, and determined to make his own version of these older styles. Problem: these styles are incompatible with death metal, which is why death metal didn't arise as a variant not alternative to these styles. For Chuck, here was a chance to take a stance for the music he supposedly loved, but instead, starting with Individual Thought Patterns (1993) he began to mix more regular rock music into his death metal. The long, powerful riffs were gone, replaced by rhythm playing in harmonic place; structure simplified, and began to imitate the Judas Priest/Dream Theatre genre. Finally, Chuck left to form Control Denied, a band that was basically old school heavy metal with death metal vocals. It was unclear why he didn't just try to compete toe-to-toe by simply forming a heavy metal band back in 1993 and ditching the death metal associations. But that was bad marketing

Basically, Chuck turned Christian and that is a bad thing. Also, that article has the whole AIDS spiel in there.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
anus.com gatekeepers of metal

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ugh yeah gently caress all of those assholes.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I will maintain that SR Prozak had really good taste in death metal, and his picks there were always on point. You don't even have to read the reviews, just know that a long review means a good album and a short blurb means a bad album.

Other genres were more hit and miss.

The rest of the site and the forum and whatever else they had was/is garbage though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Parachute posted:

it would be cool if my son could get in to metal one day but im not gonna hold my breath because if my own adolescence is any indication, he will fight anything i try to push on him tooth and nail

Just play music regularly, everything you like. Don't try to push anything on him.

Some people get into metal/punk as a rebellion against their parents, but it doesn't have to be like that. I grew up listening to my parents' music, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Toto, Jethro Tull, those sort of bands got me into rock and then into metal.

He'll end up liking whatever appeals to him most, and that's fine :)

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Yea same. My dad listened to stuff like Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Zappa, Pink Floyd and Hendrix a lot. I Fondly remember him having a low opininion on Metallica and Nirvana when I was a teenager. He was like "yeah well I don't hear anything Black Sabbath already did, I don't get what's so exciting about this crap".

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Holy poo poo, Tengger Cavalry is coming to Boston.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Glacial Tomb is cool and good.
https://gileadmedia.bandcamp.com/album/glacial-tomb

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i guess tomb is the new witch as far as band name trends go

there was a witch tomb, and a witch in her tomb, but no tomb witch

or tomb tomb for that matter

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

moon moon wouldn’t be the worst band name

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's too bad goat names burned out so early

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

poverty goat posted:

it's too bad goat names burned out early

As goat names go, there's really no topping Goatwhore.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Goatsnake is solid second place, I feel.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

I saw at least three preteen or younger kids with their dads at the Satan show

when MDF had the outdoor venue still there was at least 2-3 people who had a stroller with earmuffs on their babies/toddlers wandering around.

then there was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpp4mE6aSe0

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

MrBling posted:

They/he just didn't like Chuck I think. The fact that his death certificate says that he died of pneumonia (which used to be and might still be a coded way of saying AIDS) made it easy for them to propagate this theory. It really was quite insane, like they'd send letters to Chucks sister iirc.
Everything metal related seems to have been wiped from the ANUS site but luckily the internet archive exists.

I mean, this is the description for Death.

And the only album reviewed is Spiritual Healing.

And then of course, there is this.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111006023143/http://www.anus.com:80/metal/about/metal/chuck_schuldiner

Chuck Schuldiner: Legend or Ideological Disaster?
Assimilationists and False Martyrs Delight the Crowd, Kill the Genre

Containing such gems as:

and

Basically, Chuck turned Christian and that is a bad thing. Also, that article has the whole AIDS spiel in there.

this stuff will always be really funny to me. old metal beef rules

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I loving love the Boston metal scene. It's good people. I suppose I owe my ex that much, she got me back into going to shows again.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

this is a project from Khemmis guy Ben? fuckin rips

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
ANUS has it's ups and downs but there's no denying that in 1995 there wasn't any other option for websites when it came to death metal.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I loving love the Boston metal scene. It's good people. I suppose I owe my ex that much, she got me back into going to shows again.

She's infinitely cooler than you

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Bertrand Hustle posted:

As goat names go, there's really no topping Goatwhore.
did you forget about goatpenis and goat molestör?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Goat Semen

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Goat Explosion? https://thetrvegoatexplosion.bandcamp.com/

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Weaponized Cum posted:

She's infinitely cooler than you

If this is some weak attempt at a burn, I invite you to eat my entire rear end.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

xzzy posted:

Dave Grohl owns and I wish he went heavy instead of whatever it is Foo Fighters is.

We got Probot which had ups and downs, and then nothing.

He's like the Bill Murray of metal. He's a cool guy, everyone loves him, but I can't pinpoint anything truly notable about him. Holy hell, he played for Nirvana, I could give two shits about Nirvana, they suck!

Like, Probot are the Ghostbusters of metal.

e: Bill Murray did the Life Aquatic though, one of the best movies out there. All Grohl did was a cameo for Tenacious D

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 24, 2018

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I've recently discovered Revocation and can't believe I haven't heard of them before. They aren't exactly groundbreaking in any way but they combine elements from all genres of metal in such a great way and have really nice, lively solos. Chaos of Forms and Deathless are fantastic, and The Outer Ones seems to delve heavier into death metal than their other more thrash focused albums.

Other recently discovered bands: Vektor is a pretty rad band though most of the band recently left. Black Fast has been pretty enjoyable - Terms of Surrender basically never lets up for the entire album

pacerhimself fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 24, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Pickles posted:

All Grohl did was a cameo for Tenacious D

Ghrol's work on them crooked vultures was phenomenal, but listening to it obligates you to enjoy that genre of music. :shrug:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

xzzy posted:

Ghrol's work on them crooked vultures was phenomenal, but listening to it obligates you to enjoy that genre of music. :shrug:

I am going to listen to it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’m pretty sure playing in Nirvana counts as notable even if you don’t like them. Same with many of Bill Murray’s movies for that matter.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Nirvana were awesome, Ghostbusters 1 and 2 were also awesome.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Elrobot posted:

did you forget about goatpenis and goat molestör?

Semen Witch

Blood Goat

Satañ

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

pacerhimself posted:

Other recently discovered bands: Vektor is a pretty rad band though most of the band recently left.

DiSanto is still going strong though, and mind you Vektor are his band, and he does whatever he wants with it.

This fellow reminds me of Chuck in many ways. Sometimes I like to think of him as the new chuck, or a better version of jeff waters

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I’m pretty sure playing in Nirvana counts as notable even if you don’t like them. Same with many of Bill Murray’s movies for that matter.

As much as I hate Nirvana, I still love that fellow, because he's cool af and he's a good drummer. Plus probot rules. I really enjoy both of the two good songs that are in it lol

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pickles posted:

DiSanto is still going strong though, and mind you Vektor are his band, and he does whatever he wants with it.

This fellow reminds me of Chuck in many ways. Sometimes I like to think of him as the new chuck, or a better version of jeff waters

Yeah, I understand that kind of dynamic and hopefully he finds people who can fill in the pieces. It's sometimes difficult to know just how much others have contributed.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

pacerhimself posted:

I've recently discovered Revocation and can't believe I haven't heard of them before. They aren't exactly groundbreaking in any way but they combine elements from all genres of metal in such a great way and have really nice, lively solos.

Sometimes you don't need to be groundbreaking, you just have to play good metal. Revocation are awesome live and if you get the chance you should go.

E: speaking of amazing live acts, I strongly encourage anyone who can make it to the Suffocation show in their area to go. Everyone on the bill is great. Krisiun have unbelievable stage presence and put out an impressively brutal and dense sound for being just three dudes, and the love and appreciation they show for their fans is genuinely moving. Frank was the same way, just talking between songs about how honored he feels to be able to play for us, how amazing it's been to do this for 30 years.

Artists talk about how much the fan support means to them, but as a music fan it is humbling to feel like your support really means something to your favorite artists. Alex telling the crowd that "we're nothing without you guys, thank you so loving much" or Karl Sanders quietly saying "wow..." when I told him Nile was one of my favorite bands ... it's a good feeling. It's one of the things I love about extreme metal. The artists really seem to genuinely appreciate their fans.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 24, 2018

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The day before Arsis started their tour with Decrepit Birth they played a show here in my town thrown together at the last minute. They headlined above 2 touring sludge bands and like 4 local bands opened for them, there was probably 15 people in attendance max. James was super thankful to everyone there and the whole band just stuck around meeting everyone after. The vocalist of one of the openers and I just kicked it and talked to James for like 15 minutes after and he was so nice and appreciative that I've been listening to them since I pirated A Celebration of Guilt like 12 years ago. Arsis are a pretty huge band and here I am a 26 year old black metal dweeb kicking it with the vocalist of one of my favorite bands in my formative music years talking about bands we like, I'll always remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Kat Katz quit Agoraphobic Nosebleed today, which is a loving shame because their EP Arc is some of my favorite metal in the last five years.