Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Aren't BAH rules dependent on specific circumstance? Like claimed dependents and the like? I doubt it's as hard and fast as once you got it, you got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Aren't BAH rules dependent on specific circumstance? Like claimed dependents and the like? I doubt it's as hard and fast as once you got it, you got it.

gently caress me mr. law man that poo poo's written down. Look it up. Your job is to be the research bitch forever now. You chose this role.

But seriously, I don't have an answer to the question either and can't give a gently caress to look it up myself because gently caress you if you're still in.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Signing posts by someone who might still be in and spergs too much about policy. :thunk: I think we have a new thread idiot?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nyn posted:

Just wanted to point out, once you receive BAH for being married / having dependents. Regardless of divorce or loss of custody you can not lose dependent based BAH. For you will in some form owe payment in either child support or alimony.

This being stated points that your section “A.” Is either false information fed tontou or a lie you created in the sake for telling a story.

-Nyn

:lol:

You're wrong, btw. I spent five minutes and found ways you can lose dependent bah after divorce.

M_Gargantua posted:

Signing posts by someone who might still be in and spergs too much about policy. :thunk: I think we have a new thread idiot?

I didn't pay too much attention to his post originally because i was just scrolling by on my phone. Thanks for getting me to go look back.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Reg date is today too.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Eve Online getting Lowtax another $10 in tyool 2018.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Picked the perfect thread for it tbh

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Carth Dookie posted:

Eve Online getting Lowtax another $10 in tyool 2018.

This had me VERY confused as to what thread I was reading...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
When you get divorced and have no remaining dependents you lose dependent BAH. I don't believe alimony counts, because the ex is not a dependent. However, a non-voluntary allotment can still be put in place for it.

If you have dependent children, you get the dependent rate. This includes being a non-custodial parent (joint legal) if you have a court order/divorce decree assigning child support in excess of the difference between BAHes. I got a nice fat check when I separated because the AF boogered this up my entire time on active duty. Edit: If you're found to not be paying when you're supposed to but still collecting the higher BAH, the service will take that money back.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

gently caress me mr. law man that poo poo's written down. Look it up. Your job is to be the research bitch forever now. You chose this role.

But seriously, I don't have an answer to the question either and can't give a gently caress to look it up myself because gently caress you if you're still in.

Yeah no sweat just pay me BIOTCH

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah no sweat just pay me BIOTCH

Hopefully you do get paid and don't have to work for free for over 2 years to get a job. I'm still unemployed and only potentially have legal fees pending if the people I send demand letters to do not settle immediately (they will).

You chose to go into a profession where a non-trivial number of graduates from better schools than the one you're in cannot find meaningful employment. Entry level wages for attorneys in Florida, for example, are the exact same as they was 20 years ago ($39-42k). Only a handful of state attorneys in florida break 6 figures period. Also reminder that Florida is not the worst state when it comes to lawyer wages. Private sector wages are only 10-30% higher.

The only way you will make any money is if you are the number 1-3 person in your class, and even then you're going to be a monstrous wage slave. You still have time to drop out and get a real education that will set you up for life instead of wasting your money on law school.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, Lawyers are a dime a dozen right now, and unless you plan to be a politician, its not a fruitful career.

BUT: If you plan to be a Public Defender, a good one, go for it. Someone needs to do it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Sure it sucks but as a whole it's a better situation than physicians where we've effectively capped the number of residency slots which is why even relaticely bad physicians make great money but we have no where near enough

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Well my plan is to go into politics at some point to capitalize on my natural charm and good looks so it sounds like I'm making all the right choices. I always knew I couldn't lose, but it is nice to hear other people support my decision making.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

There is a bimodal distribution in pay for starting lawyers. BLS has the median lawyer salary as $120k, but biglaw pays first years lawyers much more than the average to start. In NY or CA they start at $160k+, and they are on track to make $300k after 8 years. Firms based in Miami often pay similar amounts when you consider there are no state income taxes. When you take cost of living into account, the lower starting salary of $110k+ in Jacksonville, Sarasota, Tampa, Orlando, are similar. If you get accepted into a clerkship it is very likely you will get a job offer in big law after completion, and there are substantial signing bonuses to make up for the reduced salary. If you can get a clerkship, or get into big law it is a very fruitful career.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Jacksonville is not starting pay at $110k. I haven’t found anything in Florida remotely close to $100k starting.

Biglaw is also at $190k right now to start.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

What if i wanna be like Levy from The Wire Mr. Nice?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Viva Miriya posted:

Pay off grand jury foreman?

Be bald?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Viva Miriya posted:

Sheeeeeeeit.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Syrian Lannister posted:

Pay off grand jury foreman?

Be bald?

yes

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you’re gonna lawyer, be a criminal lawyer.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/military-plane-accidentally-drops-humvee-over-nc-neighborhood/83-607711242

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you are gonna believe in acupuncture and chrio at least go to an asian doc who keeps a stock of old roots in jars. White acupuncturists never do the studying to figure out how to do their snake oil well and will cheap out on herbs grabbing ginger from the supermarket.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hey at least the parachute deployed and wasn't sabotaged by a disgruntled loadmaster.

KirbyKhan posted:

If you are gonna believe in acupuncture and chrio at least go to an asian doc who keeps a stock of old roots in jars. White acupuncturists never do the studying to figure out how to do their snake oil well and will cheap out on herbs grabbing ginger from the supermarket.

You sure you're in the right thread?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Linked here from the CE thread because chiropractors are quackier than Jason Alexanders' Duckman.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Upthread from that for 2ish pages

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Well, you see, per N4i, its due to 'bias' against Chiropractors by people in STEM.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

you two should just gently caress already

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Remember that time someone asked a goon chiropractor to identify what was wrong with an x-ray of a spine someone posted and he didn't loving notice it was a dog spine because he didn't know poo poo because chiropractic is an enormous scam hahahahahaha

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

my kinda ape posted:

Remember that time someone asked a goon chiropractor to identify what was wrong with an x-ray of a spine someone posted and he didn't loving notice it was a dog spine because he didn't know poo poo because chiropractic is an enormous scam hahahahahaha

That was wonderful. Anyone got a link handy?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Some spokesdude gave an early quote about this to the effect of "It appears that a load was unintentionally released early and we are investigating" and I thought that I need to remember that as an excuse for the next time I disappoint a sexual partner

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

Don’t be a loving cocktease.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/AircraftSpots/status/1054807774842875904

https://twitter.com/flynavy/status/1054844077978509312

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Do you want the stallion that mounts the world? Because that's how you get the stallion that mounts the world

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

FrozenVent posted:

If you’re gonna lawyer, be a criminal lawyer.

Can confirm. My neighbor is a criminal defense trial attorney and he makes bank

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

Can confirm. My neighbor is a criminal defense trial attorney and he makes bank
Stringing along DUI recipients that are going to go down no matter what is a pretty lucrative business.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Stringing along DUI recipients that are going to go down no matter what is a pretty lucrative business.

From what I've seen around here, DUI recipients rarely go down if they lawyer up. I know one guy who just got out of a 3 week stretch in jail for his 12th DUI in 15 years.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CainFortea posted:

From what I've seen around here, DUI recipients rarely go down if they lawyer up. I know one guy who just got out of a 3 week stretch in jail for his 12th DUI in 15 years.
There was a professor from my college who came in just under the point that you'd get taken to the hospital. A lawyer told him have his wife bring him a Tupperware container, piss in it, and have it independently tested. The corrections officers let him do it because there's no chain of custody and it was hours after the fact, never mind that he was still pretty trashed. He didn't get off. Just blew a poo poo load of money and probably didn't learn any sort of lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

It's beautiful, and completely meaningless.

This is the best example of staff work I've ever loving seen.