Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ibblebibble posted:

Kaiten's spinning is very satisfying to watch.

I like the translation for it. It's something like Deathblow: Spin the Heavens

Philonius posted:

It's mostly practice. At a certain point your rotation becomes muscle memory and you can do it in your sleep. Once the bulk of what you do is on autopilot, you have the mental space to watch for refreshing cooldowns and the like, but I remember it being overwhelming at the start too.

Not exaggerating about this either, at Savage raiding once I've done a fight enough times I barely think during it and am surprised to find myself like 5 minutes later completely unsure of how I actually made it through the fight doing every mechanic flawlessly while doing my full rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

This sounds like something a Chrono Trigger boss uses

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thyrork posted:

Chokatoo.

Unsure of the source. :(

Here is your source: http://isei-silva.tumblr.com/post/131895034211/but-what-if-chocobos-did-the-cockatoo-thing-when

Source not checked for work-safeness lately.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SMN players, what's the difference between Ifrit and Garuda?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

SMN players, what's the difference between Ifrit and Garuda?

From what I gather:

Ifrit is better on its own, Garuda is technically better micromanaged so you can make the best use of its various abilities, but the difference between the two is somewhat minor and being able to leave Ifrit on Sic reduces the overall stress on playing a SMN in high-end fights

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Got it, summon Garuda because I like Garuda best.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ifrit got a slight nerf last patch with how Radiant Shield works anyways so it's somewhat more debatable which one is better now, since before ifrit was considered the better summon for most of Stormblood's life(before Stormblood people would say go with Garuda but they changed Garuda's skills with the release of Stormblood). On paper anyways, the idea is Garuda is will buff caster dmg, while Ifrit indirectly buffs melee dmg. They removed Radiant shield's reflect dmg from Ifrit last patch though, so it lost a marginal bit of dps, so I don't think there's any full consensus yet which one is better after the patch.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wanted to go with a more conservative and feminine character design than I normally do for this summoner, and ended up with a Junji Ito lead character.

Bonus vacation photo:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

As much as I knew Pagos would suck going in, I had no idea that being a Triple Triad collector would magnify its badness so hard.

I ended up having to kill Louhi 18 times to get his card, ie 15 more than you would ever have to in order to completely finish a Pagos relic. And the card from doing Bunny FATEs could have been way, way worse, I think I lucked out.

But either way... I'm finally done with that poo poo. Never again.

Martman fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 24, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SKULL.GIF posted:

The kanji are certainly "turn" and "heaven" but Kaiten translates more as momentous change, a complete turn of the tide, major revolution, that kinda thing. So I think it's more like "(a task akin to) turning over heaven itself", or something along those lines.

I do kinda love "Spin the Heavens" though, it has that old-school JRPG translation jank to it.

On a related note, Meikyo Shisui was one of Yuffie's Limit Breaks in FFVII (just like Doom of the Living) where it was translated as "Clear Tranquil". Anyone who plays Overwatch probably knows it as one of Genji's pre-battle lines.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 24, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Martman posted:

As much as I knew Pagos would suck going in, I had no idea that being a Triple Triad collector would magnify its badness so hard.

I ended up having to kill Louhi 18 times to get his card, ie 15 more than you would ever have to in order to completely finish a Pagos relic. And the card from doing Bunny FATEs could have been way, way worse, I think I lucked out.

But either way... I'm finally done with that poo poo. Never again.

But did you get the Snow Queen's card?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol yes, that one I got really early, which I guess was also pretty lucky.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Ytlaya posted:

Who the gently caress is this Arenvald guy? He apparently has the Echo, because he mentioned "glimpsing the memories" of that Fordola lady.

edit: Oh, they explained he has the Echo or something like it, so I guess we're not supposed to know who he is

edit2: Thancred used to have this sort of "refreshing guy" feel about him, but now he's all gritty and serious all the time. I don't like it!
Story time!!

When you join the Scions in ARR its because they're actively seeking out and recruiting people with the echo. Arenvald is one of these, and he makes up a squad along with an Elezen lady named Aulie and a Miqo'te guy named A'aba, all of whom joined shortly before you do. There's also another squad of people with the echo consisting of a Miqo'te woman named Una, a Roe dude named Satzfloh, and another elezen dude named Percevains who were members of the pre-Scion organization from FFXIV 1.0 and lost a lot of their memory in the calamity.

The Scions problem in early ARR is that having the echo doesn't make you a good fighter (see: Minfilia, Kryle, the above mentioned people), and while they have a bunch of great fighters none of them have the echo. The reason the player character instantly becomes super important is you're the holy grail they've been looking for: Some one with the echo who's also a talented fighter.

Between MSQ missions you can talk to all the minor scion NPCs and their dialogue will change. Sometimes some of them leave on missions for a while and come back, the amnesia crew slowly gets their memory back too. How much work the devs put into minor details like this is one of the things that really made me like the game in the relatively dull early stages.

When Livia attacks the Waking Sands she kills all the scions there with the echo (except Minfilia). Arenvald is the only one to survive because he was out on a mission at the time. He shows up again at a few different points in the background, and if you talk to him he's consumed by survivor's guilt over the fact that Aulie and A'aba are dead and he couldn't protect them. He's spent the time between ARR and SB training so he can do better, so it hits him really hard when he's unable to protect Kryle from being abducted by Fordola since its like its like the Waking Sands is happening all over again for him. :(

The game also punches you in the gut pretty hard if you're paying attention. A number of the bodies the you have to carry and bury after the Waking Sands slaughter are character models of the above people.

All this stuff is really easy to miss.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's a little more to that ARR Arenvald time, too:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hogama posted:

I'm not sure if that's :smith: or :unsmith:.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

pew pew (post your MCHs)

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Me shooting the dev who removed Grenado Shot from the game.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Hogama posted:

Wow I didn't remember that at all. This game is so good with it's minor NPCs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I am currently looking for a static between the hours of 7:00PM and 10:30PM EST. I have a DRG at 372, but I could also bring my WAR up to that level in relatively short order if needed. I'm on Excalibur if that helps.

I'm checking with goons first before I try and find an external group.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

ImpAtom posted:

From what I gather:

Ifrit is better on its own, Garuda is technically better micromanaged so you can make the best use of its various abilities, but the difference between the two is somewhat minor and being able to leave Ifrit on Sic reduces the overall stress on playing a SMN in high-end fights

Also Garuda has an ability to make mobs take more magic damage and Ifrit has an ability to make mobs take more physical damage. So you can cater to whether the other DPS in your party is a mage or a melee. Although, again, that distinction looks like it's really minor.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The pet ability for Ifrit looks cooler than Garuda's.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hogama posted:

I had completely forgotten that side conversation so the significance escaped me when he stepped to the front in SB. :unsmith:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Chokatoo.

Unsure of the source. :(

The sequel to this

http://isei-silva.tumblr.com/post/132230119086/long-day-winded-down-with-more-chocobird

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

pew pew (post your MCHs)

(i'm just wearing this while i figure out what i actually want to do with mch)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kaubocks posted:

never take it off

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

take it off immediately

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh baby, take it ALL OFF... slowly.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Lodestone/Launcher server is now the DDoS target. Hope no one was planning on logging into the game :rip:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I imagine a big part of it is whether you've done the same fight repeatedly back-to-back, since if you've done it repeatedly you'd at least have some sense of when you don't need to be actively paying attention as much, but even in the best case scenario I don't see how it's possible to simultaneously be running and dodging things and also noticing that skills A, B, and C have come back off cooldown and do the mental logic of choosing which thing to refresh. The only stuff that is truly just muscle memory is your core combo; literally everything else relies upon keeping track of meters or stuff coming off of 60+ second cooldowns (and unless you have some perfect internal clock, it's not really feasible to instantly know X seconds have passed without looking at the button). This sort of notably contrasts with my WoW experience (at least back when I played a Windwalker Monk during Mists of Pandaria), where I actually was able to play off muscle memory in the way you describe.

Part of it is likely that my brain is just abnormally bad at multitasking. Like, I've played MMOs alongside friends, so there's no discrepency in experience between us, and been genuinely fascinated at how they can simultaneously play and notice what other players are doing, which is just sort of inconceivable to me. It's like reading a book while playing piano or something.

This is very true. The fights in this game are pretty scripted, so I know at some point I can just focus on DPSing and only have to start paying attention once the boss does X move.

As a samurai too, paying attention to cooldowns isn't that much of a bother. Pretty much just meikyo, the other things are all triggered by something. Like, if I have 1 sen, glance to see if higanbana is close to running out. If so, use higanbana, else keep going. If I have 3 sen, check to see if hagakure is available. Use that if it is, go for Midare if it's not. Stuff like that.

Philonius fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 24, 2018

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

take it off immediately

:heysexy:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't rolled above a 40 on a raid token in two weeks. RNG hates me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh baby, take it ALL OFF... slowly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arist posted:

RNG hates everyone.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arist posted:

Last week I had to run alpha 4 around 20 times to get the shaft and this week I got the shaft first time.

It gives and it takes.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Last week I had to run alpha 4 around 20 times to get the shaft and this week I got the shaft first time.

It gives and it takes.

So you got the shaft 21 times.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit

Not he trump thread

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I just got eScape and Heartless one after the other, wasn't exactly looking for them though so I just put them up on the mb.

edit: My battle with RNG takes the form of waiting for periods of time where the great firewall lets my VPN through so I can log on and then seeing if there's a period of time where my connection stabilizes to ~200ms ping instead of the usual 400 so I can do moderately difficult content.

Algid fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 24, 2018

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Ibblebibble posted:

pew pew (post your MCHs)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ibblebibble posted:

pew pew (post your MCHs)

4 Life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I suddenly realized that a good MCH glam shot would be using Barrel Stabilizer during one of Omega's monitor moves in O12S.