Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

TheWevel posted:

Mulching mower with a bag is even faster.

No room to store something like that. We have a reel mower that I have to lug out of the basement and back again.

Plus at least for now the novelty of it makes blowing leaves around fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Potrzebie posted:

A month after getting a new roof in place we had water dripping from the ceiling in the kitchen. Turns out that the metal seams around the chimney are leaking.

Time to :homebrew: some carpenters again I guess.

A month? Whoever did that should stand behind their work and fix it for free.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Yeah dude the flashing is the roofer's job. Call him back.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Replacing a chimneys flashing is 100% part of a roof replacement. Even the shady guy I used before I sold my house did that and didn't even include it as a line item on his bid.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Our house had this really ugly still-life-fruit wallpaper border around the top of one room. My wife was just going to paint over it, but I said 'oh no we own this house, we should do things properly!' So I started removing the wallpaper and found out that the previous owners had no such views, they had just tacked it up over successive layers of wallpaper. Once I started I couldn't work out how to back down, so I ended up stripping off all the wallpaper. Under that was some sort of weird plaster and surfacing layer that is probably as old as the house and started to crumble from age once exposed. So now I am stuck having to remove those crumbling areas, replaster them, and probably apply some sort of skim coat before finally painting. I should have just painted over it all.

This was me this summer. You'll be happy when you finish because you'll finally be done.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Struensee posted:

This was me this summer. You'll be happy when you finish because you'll finally be done.

this is my dream

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So it's been raining basically non stop for a week or so here in Fort Worth, TX and it is usually pretty dry. My crawl space is usually equally dry but currently the soil is damp/muddy and it's creating all kinds if humidity down there. I haven't had the house that long but I'd be surprised if this happens too often. Long term I need to correct drainage issues, and put a vapor barrier down, but what can I do for a shorter term solution? Anything? I've toyed with sticking a dehumidifier down there but it's a vented crawlspace and I doubt I can dehumidify all of Texas.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

So it's been raining basically non stop for a week or so here in Fort Worth, TX and it is usually pretty dry. My crawl space is usually equally dry but currently the soil is damp/muddy and it's creating all kinds if humidity down there. I haven't had the house that long but I'd be surprised if this happens too often. Long term I need to correct drainage issues, and put a vapor barrier down, but what can I do for a shorter term solution? Anything? I've toyed with sticking a dehumidifier down there but it's a vented crawlspace and I doubt I can dehumidify all of Texas.

Shop fan or a bunch of small fans. Surely the ground is more damp than the air, so airflow will help.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Agh...

Everything's wet.

Background - closed about ... two months ago now? Just noticed some water dripping out of the grout between the tile and the bathtub. They pulled everything apart and saw that the supply line to the shower valve cracked. This was supposed to have been a remodeled redone shower as well. I'm guessing they must have had some crappy rear end plumber in there doing the original welds and sodlering.

Now I'm concerned about the remodel in the upstairs shower. Should I get them to knock down the drywall there to see whether that has potential issues? (Preventative maintenance?)

Edit: Knowing no one here is a lawyer, but should I reach out to a lawyer given we did our due diligence by getting our own set of inspections and what not?)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
There is absolutely nothing a lawyer can do for you. You should just shove that money into a savings account and wait for something else to break.

With that said, I'm a big fan of tearing things up on my own schedule rather than when they break unexpectedly. Instead of cutting through the tile though, think about the opposite side of that wall. Is it accessible and sheetrock? That's way easier to cut through and repair, and you can continue to use the shower.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

In pretty much every jurisdiction that speaks English, houses are purchased "as-is" and absent a written, express warranty from the seller that extends past the closing no one owes you squat because you're assuming all the risks of home ownership, including that the renovation work didn't cut corners. The money you can spend on a lawyer is better spent finding a good plumber or teaching yourself how to lay tile.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My understanding (I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice) is that the seller is obliged to inform you about defects that they know about. But proving that is usually not realistic, especially for things that are hidden away in walls. There's a reason why most home sales are contingent on the home passing inspection. But the inspection usually can't damage the house, so again, it's not going to reveal problems that are hidden away in walls.

So yeah, sucks to be you, but I wouldn't expect to get anything out of the prior owners. Winning a case like that would require, like, written instruction from the PO to the contractor to close the wall up even though the contractor found a leaky pipe.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shadowhand00 posted:

Edit: Knowing no one here is a lawyer, but should I reach out to a lawyer given we did our due diligence by getting our own set of inspections and what not?)

A lawyer isn't going to help you; the previous owners and the inspector couldn't have predicted that a pipe behind the wall of the remodeled shower would crack some months later.

You could try to find the contractor who did the work and go after them, but they may deny doing any welds, which is possible

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Weeeelp just Amazon Primed a sump pump

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Yeah....that's a bit beyond fans.

But I would have suggested a trash pump/grinder pump. Sump pump should work, but that sand might trash it pretty quick.

Dig yourself a hole and drop it in.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

kw0134 posted:

In pretty much every jurisdiction that speaks English, houses are purchased "as-is" and absent a written, express warranty from the seller that extends past the closing no one owes you squat because you're assuming all the risks of home ownership, including that the renovation work didn't cut corners. The money you can spend on a lawyer is better spent finding a good plumber or teaching yourself how to lay tile.

Would Home Warranty cover it? Those are standard where I live - the seller is expected to buy one year of Home Warranty on behalf of the buyer. That way if the oven breaks six months down the line you don't have to pay anything out of pocket.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

That way if the oven breaks six months down the line you don't have to pay anything out of pocket.

Anything? There is typically a deductible. And you get the cheapest replacement possible installed by the cheapest labor they can find in no sort of timely manner.

I've heard very few home warranty success stories.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Shadowhand00 posted:

If you specifically asked the seller about that drip and they went "oh, no, it's all good :downs:" you might not just waste money on a lawyer.

If you paid inspectors to tell you what the state of the house is and that included looking for moisture you might go after them, as they made you think the house was sound.

IANAL. Talk to a consumers rights group or someone else who'll give you an opinion on the cheap or for free (NOT TEH INTERNET).

Update on the leaky roof: It no longer leaks. This is because there is a lot of silicone applied to the leaky part. The roofers claim that they suggested changing the flashing and that I declined. This is not my recollection of events, but whatever. It was not specified on the offer or bill, so..

It'll cost us an additional $600. Go team house!

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 25, 2018

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

enraged_camel posted:

Would Home Warranty cover it? Those are standard where I live - the seller is expected to buy one year of Home Warranty on behalf of the buyer. That way if the oven breaks six months down the line you don't have to pay anything out of pocket.
That will depend on what the warranty says it'll cover. I'm going off of common law precedents and the like, so if there's an additional written agreement then that will control. In that situation you might be in fact covered! But you'll have to parse the actual coverage verbiage and any disclaimers with a fine tooth comb. Wouldn't shock me if the exclusions outnumber the covered elements, along with a heavy deductible.

Potrzebie posted:

If you specifically asked the seller about that drip and they went "oh, no, it's all good :downs:" you might not just waste money on a lawyer.

If you paid inspectors to tell you what the state of the house is and that included looking for moisture you might go after them, as they made you think the house was sound.

IANAL. Talk to a consumers rights group or someone else who'll give you an opinion on the cheap or for free (NOT TEH INTERNET).
"I don't recall this conversation" says the seller, and then you're hosed, because in real estate you cannot rely on verbal assurances. "Hey did you find any moisture?" "No," says the inspector (because he didn't) and now you're hosed. Yes, yes, talk to a lawyer in your jurisdiction for real legal advice, but in the US at least, 99 out of 100 what you're going to get is a shrug. Even if you are legally in the right, you aren't going to be able to walk into court with a summons and complaint and walk out a few hours later with a fat check. You can't do that even in small claims. You might get an attorney to write a bunch of mean letters to which ever parties you want to direct your ire and hope they cave and send you a check but anyone that tells you to gently caress off will start an expensive and lengthy legal process with no certain outcome.

Patch up the hack job and chalk it up to experience.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

What's that weird half submerged duct?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

kw0134 posted:

That will depend on what the warranty says it'll cover. I'm going off of common law precedents and the like, so if there's an additional written agreement then that will control. In that situation you might be in fact covered! But you'll have to parse the actual coverage verbiage and any disclaimers with a fine tooth comb. Wouldn't shock me if the exclusions outnumber the covered elements, along with a heavy deductible.
"I don't recall this conversation" says the seller, and then you're hosed, because in real estate you cannot rely on verbal assurances. "Hey did you find any moisture?" "No," says the inspector (because he didn't) and now you're hosed. Yes, yes, talk to a lawyer in your jurisdiction for real legal advice, but in the US at least, 99 out of 100 what you're going to get is a shrug. Even if you are legally in the right, you aren't going to be able to walk into court with a summons and complaint and walk out a few hours later with a fat check. You can't do that even in small claims. You might get an attorney to write a bunch of mean letters to which ever parties you want to direct your ire and hope they cave and send you a check but anyone that tells you to gently caress off will start an expensive and lengthy legal process with no certain outcome.

Patch up the hack job and chalk it up to experience.

Yeah, I forgot to add that it has to be in writing and attested. We have on paper "The roof is old and bad, Nothing else is wrong" from both sellers and two independent inspectors.

ETA ...and we _still_ managed to gently caress up the repairs of the roof :D

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
man pier and beam is weird to me. I've only ever lived in slab on grade or full basement homes and it's so weird to see the house sitting on rocks and poo poo.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

devicenull posted:

What's that weird half submerged duct?

It's the old intake duct for a furnace that used to be down there. I dragged it over to the crawlspace entrance to disassemble and remove it but it's now in the water so that will happen some other day. I'm working on hauling out all the old trash down there as I fix things up. Old rusty pipes, random pieces of cable, old insulation, wood scraps, metal scraps, etc.

Jealous Cow posted:

man pier and beam is weird to me. I've only ever lived in slab on grade or full basement homes and it's so weird to see the house sitting on rocks and poo poo.

Same, but I saw the benefits as a DIYer and here I am. In Texas your slab foundation will eventually get wrecked by the soil, but pier and beam has way less issues. It's much easier to fix up, find insect problems, and fix plumbing issues with. My pier and beam has all concrete piers that go pretty drat deep into the ground and a couple of blocks on the surface for added support in some areas, but I've seen piles of rocks in other houses.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 25, 2018

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

It's the old intake duct for a furnace that used to be down there. I dragged it over to the crawlspace entrance to disassemble and remove it but it's now in the water so that will happen some other day.

Same, but I saw the benefits as a DIYer and here I am. In Texas your slab foundation will eventually get wrecked by the soil, but pier and beam has way less issues. It's much easier to fix up, find insect problems, and fix plumbing issues with. My pier and beam has all concrete piers that go pretty drat deep into the ground and a couple of blocks on the surface for added support in some areas, but I've seen piles of rocks in other houses.

Yeah I can totally see the benefit. I think I’d want to dig just a little deeper, pour a non-structural slab, and condition the space though. Make like a crawl-basement.

But then again back in January we had 3 weeks of single degree temps so I’m a bit weird about vented spaces.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Jealous Cow posted:

Yeah I can totally see the benefit. I think I’d want to dig just a little deeper, pour a non-structural slab, and condition the space though. Make like a crawl-basement.

But then again back in January we had 3 weeks of single degree temps so I’m a bit weird about vented spaces.

Yeah I think that's best practice now, but this house is from 1950 so I have wonderful Texas dirt. I'm planning on at least putting a vapor barrier down now.

I don't have to worry about it getting too cold here so I'm not that worried about the vents. Hell, when I moved in there was uninsulated copper water pipe just sitting on the ground down there from the 80s I think. If it hasn't Frozen and burst in that time it must not get too cold under there.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I have a weird issue with plumbing, specifically sewage. Whenever I run the bathroom sinks or the showers for a few minutes, after turning them off I can hear some sort of mechanical sound coming from inside the walls. It’s hard to describe, but it sounds like a metal saw? It repeats every 2 seconds for a while and eventually stops.

The plumber came yesterday and listened to it, and he said he had never heard anything like that before.

Maybe my house actually is haunted...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Do you live below street level? You might have a macerator and a pump to get your sewage up to the main sewage line. That's about all I can think of.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I live at street level

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

I have a weird issue with plumbing, specifically sewage. Whenever I run the bathroom sinks or the showers for a few minutes, after turning them off I can hear some sort of mechanical sound coming from inside the walls. It’s hard to describe, but it sounds like a metal saw? It repeats every 2 seconds for a while and eventually stops.

The plumber came yesterday and listened to it, and he said he had never heard anything like that before.

Does it happen if you just use water but don't run it down the drain? Like filling up the bathtub or a pot of water? Google thinks buzzing pipes if due to high water pressure.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

I did some research on similar incidents over the weekend and my best guess is that a guy sealed himself behind your wall 100 years ago and is still scratching to get out.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Could it be thermal expansion and contraction if the pipe against another metal surface, like maybe another pipe laying on it?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Does it happen if you just use water but don't run it down the drain? Like filling up the bathtub or a pot of water? Google thinks buzzing pipes if due to high water pressure.

Good question, I’ll test this when I’m back in town.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Having the backsplash on my granite counter removed for aesthetic reasons. The guy puts a prybar behind it to pop it off the wall, and a foot of it SHATTERS. The installer took the backsplash, used construction glue against the drywall, and used what I can only describe as satan’s own black superglue and glued the backsplash to the countertop.

This stuff was so strong that the GRANITE COUNTERTOP failed before the glue bond. So now I have six inches or so of my countertop that looks like it exploded.

:suicide:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Congratulations on your new total kitchen remodeling project.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

Having the backsplash on my granite counter removed for aesthetic reasons. The guy puts a prybar behind it to pop it off the wall, and a foot of it SHATTERS. The installer took the backsplash, used construction glue against the drywall, and used what I can only describe as satan’s own black superglue and glued the backsplash to the countertop.

This stuff was so strong that the GRANITE COUNTERTOP failed before the glue bond. So now I have six inches or so of my countertop that looks like it exploded.

:suicide:

Poly it. Thats the trendy thing to do recently.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I noticed some soot on my gas fireplace logs so I was going to vacuum them off and adjust the intake/put the logs back the way they are supposed to be. Hmm there are only 4 logs and there should be 6. And these 4 logs aren't even from the correct set. And the grill they are sitting on isn't even the right grill for this fireplace.

So I take all that stuff out and order the right replacement parts, and then I notice that someone has apparently sawed off parts of the burner assembly and some of those parts are required to like, hold up the logs that are supposed to be with this fireplace. So I go and find the replacement part to THAT and order it, order gets cancelled because apparently they don't make it any more.

Call the company that says the part doesn't exist and talk to the hugest loving prick I have ever talked to in my entire life trying to figure out a solution. He says there is no new part, it's discontinued forever, he doesn't know when it got discontinued, there is nothing I can do I just have to buy a new fireplace and rip everything all out, he can't give me the height of the one important bracket I could weld back on because that's SECRET INFORMATION that he is not allowed to share, he whines about the call taking 20 minutes (whose loving fault is that you clown). Finally after 25 minutes I get him to tell me the model of a current fireplace that might have the same shell (so theoretically I could just replace all of the gas parts without ripping out the whole shell) and I look it up and ITS THE EXACT SAME GODDAMN FIREPLACE AS MINE BEING CURRENTLY MANUFACTURED AND SOLD UNDER A DIFFERENT BRAND NAME.

I look in the manual for the replacement burner to this new current one and it lists the same goddamn part number I already tried to order which is discontinued, and the loving assclown on the phone says "that's a typo" and for the next five minutes loving REFUSES to tell me what the current replacement part number is for some reason and then hangs up on me.

So anyway gently caress you fireplace guy and gently caress whatever moron destroyed half my fireplace and stole the goddamn logs that were supposed to go with it for some reason.

Edit: I was able to order the burner under the new brand/number just fine once I talked to the dealer so hopefully everything will be good in 1-3 months when this moronic company sends it out to me.

Droo fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 25, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sounds like another Thursday as a homeowner

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have a fireplace but I would have preferred a wood burning stove.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

oh yeah, fireplace. i have one of those too.

now i need to figure out how to use it. i was told it's actually a natural gas fireplace, which ive never used before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

All four of my fireplaces are boarded up, but it looks like they all had gas inserts at one point. Also I peeked behind the board on one and it was full of bird skeletons (really need to get the chimney guy out for some chimney caps).

Ultimate goal is to have four working gas fireplaces with the hyper realistic log inserts (there was a historic building I was in during wintertime and they had these merry fires going, and, despite having extensive fire building and tending experience, it took me a couple hours to realize the logs were fake). We'd love wood burning downstairs, but I'm not sure that's possible since they've already been rigged for gas and they'd be sharing chimneys with the upstairs fireplaces, which we want to be gas (because gently caress hauling firewood upstairs).