Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

readingatwork posted:

The best in my lifetime may actually be Bush Sr.

loving kill me...

The worst part is I can't even think of a smug 'oh yea I love (x thing he did that was uniquely evil) too' joke to make here. Like yea gently caress that old ex-spook ghoul just as a whole but yea as far as presidents go his biggest sins were a war that at the very least actually held to its promised borders and didn't really DO much (especially compared to now that his dipshit kid rebooted it to start our forever-war) and just like, normal lovely right wing economics which Clinton would go on to extend in almost every way.

Hey guys I'm starting to think America may have a problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

VH4Ever posted:

Honestly I think UBI might be the only solution in the end. I admit, I'm way better on this subject in pointing out the problem than proposing a solution but I do know that solutions that rely on companies to do the right thing on their own is doomed to fail.
UBI does almost nothing to correct the massive power imbalance between the capitalists and everyone else, and only in the most superficial of ways. It's probably something we want to do but if you think it's going to stop the billionaires from owning the rest of us you're dead wrong - like literally in the sense that at best they'll go along with UBI until exterminism becomes a preferable option.

I'm afraid it's seizing the means of production or the death of human civilization and most humans, comrade.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

sexpig by night posted:

The worst part is I can't even think of a smug 'oh yea I love (x thing he did that was uniquely evil) too' joke to make here. Like yea gently caress that old ex-spook ghoul just as a whole but yea as far as presidents go his biggest sins were a war that at the very least actually held to its promised borders and didn't really DO much (especially compared to now that his dipshit kid rebooted it to start our forever-war) and just like, normal lovely right wing economics which Clinton would go on to extend in almost every way.

Hey guys I'm starting to think America may have a problem!
Did he even kickstart any staffer careers that went on to be evil? I thought it was mostly recycled assholes from the nixon and reagan administrations.

Read my lips: No New Taxes
Narrator: There were new taxes.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Kilroy posted:

UBI does almost nothing to correct the massive power imbalance between the capitalists and everyone else, and only in the most superficial of ways. It's probably something we want to do but if you think it's going to stop the billionaires from owning the rest of us you're dead wrong - like literally in the sense that at best they'll go along with UBI until exterminism becomes a preferable option.

I'm afraid it's seizing the means of production or the death of human civilization and most humans, comrade.

Well I'm too old to be fighting in the streets so have fun with all that, I guess.

Harik posted:

Did he even kickstart any staffer careers that went on to be evil? I thought it was mostly recycled assholes from the nixon and reagan administrations.

Colin Powell.

Fight me.

(but not in the streets)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The streets will come to you and they will be slicked with the blood of victims.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

VH4Ever posted:

Well I'm too old to be fighting in the streets so have fun with all that, I guess.
I guess I had a sense of urgency about it for some time after the 2016 election, but after my one millionth :rolleyes: :matters: :smug: reply after pointing out the fact of it, from people who should know better, I guess I kind of gave up on hope. That doesn't mean I've changed my mind though: we're thoroughly hosed.

(I guess maybe we're in the same boat, if your avatar is anything to go by.)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Clarence Thomas.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I'm not really tuned in to politics in America at the moment, more enthralled with what is going on here in Sweden right now. I am going to let out a hearty lol when Democrats fail to take back the House or the Senate in 2 weeks while flubbing the "Great Caravan" happening in Central America. After laughing, I'll be going to my permanent job, and my cystic fibrosis having wife will be going to her permanent job. Something she couldn't hold in the States and still have vacation time at the end of the year.

:thumbsup:

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 24, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wonder if Chuck is going to bring up that guy who stole the Maga hat to show how both sides are wrong since they just found an IED near the Clinton's house.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

I wonder if Chuck is going to bring up that guy who stole the Maga hat to show how both sides are wrong since they just found an IED near the Clinton's house.

I’m curious how many the Secret Service have dealt with that didn’t get far enough to get publicized.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Radish posted:

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1055089267188342784

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It really is the most Schumer thing to get your worthless Both Sides bullshit message directly sandwiched between prominent Democratic figures getting bombs mailed to their homes.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1055125519564488704

Someone's really on a roll today.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1055130583054123008

i can't believe DWS would try to grab power back like this

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

https://twitter.com/ositanwanevu/status/1055099316124164097?s=21

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

You forgot the most important part

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1055144364371070976

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The institution that Democratic voters trust most is...Amazon.

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1055138182197637121

BTW Matt Stoller has been raging on Obama hard for the last 24 hours and getting dragged for it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW Matt Stoller has been raging on Obama hard for the last 24 hours and getting dragged for it.

Oh look a new follow.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Dirk Pitt posted:

I'm not really tuned in to politics in America at the moment, more enthralled with what is going on here in Sweden right now. I am going to let out a hearty lol when Democrats fail to take back the House or the Senate in 2 weeks while flubbing the "Great Caravan" happening in Central America. After laughing, I'll be going to my permanent job, and my cystic fibrosis having wife will be going to her permanent job. Something she couldn't hold in the States and still have vacation time at the end of the year.

:thumbsup:
Pretty sure if the Democrats fail to take back the House then they are done as a party.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/samknight_one/status/1055077081133006849

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I am not aware of any prominent liberals that are saying otherwise, i'd love to see some examples so I can add them to my list of people to hate.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Amazon will deliver us universal healthcare via amazon prime when America becomes one big Amazon company town.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mister Fister posted:

Amazon will deliver us universal healthcare via amazon prime when America becomes one big Amazon company town.

BezosBucks are the new petrocurrency.

Prime members enjoy MRIs with two day waiting periods. Your mandatory Streaming Hour allows you to enjoy Amazon Exclusives such as Bosch and Sneaky Pete...OR ELSE.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Lets watch and see if the dems manage to land a decent hit on the GOP for being the party of domestic terrorism.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Kingfish posted:

Lets watch and see if the dems manage to land a decent hit on the GOP for being the party of domestic terrorism.

Considering that was just as true yesterday as today, lol.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I don't think Schumer could have possibly handled it worse. Its more relevant today than it was yesterday though.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Kingfish posted:

*uproarious fake laughter masking real pain*

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

The Kingfish posted:

I don't think Schumer could have possibly handled it worse. Its more relevant today than it was yesterday though.

Chuck, are... are we the baddies?

"Yes we are, their hats only have lovely images of skulls on them for the festive Halloween season!"

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

By that logic the Democrat's already secured that position with the guy who shot up the baseball game.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

nessin posted:

By that logic the Democrat's already secured that position with the guy who shot up the baseball game.

who gives a poo poo?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

nessin posted:

It’s not like Republicans routinely implicitly call for violence against their opponents while Democrats go out of their way to disavow violence because :decorum:, or that domestic terrorism is overwhelmingly white nationalist and republicans are the party of white nationalists.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

There's been way too much focus on the #1 position, I think. For me, it's far more alarming that Dems still trust the military and the FBI more than they trust the press, non-profits, and labor unions. There's gonna be plenty of donkeys joining the march to fascism.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

There's been way too much focus on the #1 position, I think. For me, it's far more alarming that Dems still trust the military and the FBI more than they trust the press, non-profits, and labor unions. There's gonna be plenty of donkeys joining the march to fascism.

I know I vomit this take out a lot but one of the problems we have is that the consistent Dem voter is very bad. The party is actually quite bad and a lot of the most engaged voters believe bad, stupid things. We need new voters just to dilute these fuckin' idiots.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
A lot of studies suggest that American voters vote out of partisanship and tribal sentiments not policy. In cases where one of the major parties changes its position on a major policy issues the majority of partisan voters just switch their stated position to whatever the new party line is.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

What’s the actual wording of the question? Because the tweet says “confidence” and I’m confident the FBI will continue to evil poo poo and I’m not very confident that organized labor is going to be able to overcome the jackboot on its throat.

I do think a bunch of Dems still think the FBI are good guys but a lovely wording further muddles the result.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Kilroy posted:

Pretty sure if the Democrats fail to take back the House then they are done as a party.

lol, no. They'll hobble along as the minority party they are of white urbanites who want to feel good about their station in life. Pod Save America et al. will be dead though Inshallah.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 24, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Helsing posted:

A lot of studies suggest that American voters vote out of partisanship and tribal sentiments not policy. In cases where one of the major parties changes its position on a major policy issues the majority of partisan voters just switch their stated position to whatever the new party line is.

Also why pandering to Republicans is a loser strategy.

Republican voters don't actually care about poo poo like balanced budgets and deficits, they say they do because Republican elites say they do and voters are signaling that they're part of the tribe. But they don't actually care, if a Republican administration nukes the budget with tax cuts and wars, their voters don't care because Republican elites don't care, but the instant a Democrat takes over and the elites start yelling about deficits again they'll care again. (It's also why arguing with a conservative about deficits is amusing, because they will absolutely refuse to believe objective facts like "tax cuts reduce revenue and increase the deficit" or "Obama reduced the budget deficit" or "the record FY2009 budget deficit was signed into law by George W Bush")

Running as the real fiscal conservatives or the real Kissinger-loving warhawks, or the real scions of Ronald Reagan doesn't do anything for you because Republicans don't care about any of that poo poo, they care about loyalty to their team of white evangelical identity politics.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 24, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah it's that simple. Pelosi saying "but WE are the fiscally responsible party!" and being flabbergasted that no Republican voters care is just another example on the pile of how they fundamentally don't understand anything.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Reactionary Mind really woke me up on this issue. Conservatives ultimately care about creating an overclass accountable to no one and an underclass bound by law but with no real rights and then seek to put themselves in the overclass. Every single decision they make aligns with this priority. They are neofeudalists and everything else is just chaff to distract from this enormously unpopular core position. They don't actually care about taxes (on the underclass) or the size of government (that represses the underclass) or anything else like that.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I know I vomit this take out a lot but one of the problems we have is that the consistent Dem voter is very bad. The party is actually quite bad and a lot of the most engaged voters believe bad, stupid things. We need new voters just to dilute these fuckin' idiots.

The reason they believe these things is, in large part, because those are the things the media wants them to believe. I'm not surprised the FBI rates so highly among Democrats, considering that Comey has been memorialized by the media as the noble nonpartisan hero who sacrificed his job for the sake of trying to save the nation from Trump. His little October Surprise, on the other hand, has largely been forgotten by journalists that are keen to erase its own complicity in Trump's rise and blame it all on Russians instead.

Don't blame the Democratic voters for believing these things - believe the talking heads and politicians who've gone to great trouble to spread those narratives among loyalists.

Trabisnikof posted:

What’s the actual wording of the question? Because the tweet says “confidence” and I’m confident the FBI will continue to evil poo poo and I’m not very confident that organized labor is going to be able to overcome the jackboot on its throat.

I do think a bunch of Dems still think the FBI are good guys but a lovely wording further muddles the result.

The exact wording of the question is "How much confidence do you have in the following institutions?", on a 1-4 scale for each one. It also provided the option for people to leave detailed comments about their confidence rating for each institution, but it looks like the pollsters are only releasing those to researchers. The reports do give a few examples, though, and there was some broad analysis of the responses (I can post both if you want). I don't see anything to suggest that people are misreading the question like that.

• Locked thread