Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think it’s reasonable to look at college football pre and post integration as two separate epochs for the sport. That’s not to say that a win in 1955 is any less valid than a win in 1985, just that what’s happened in the last 50 years may be more relevant to current discussion than what happened the 50 years before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Tryna outBama Bama

They're not even claiming them though? And the first two years I looked up they don't have a particularly good argument. '81 they were 10-1-1, Clemson was 12-0 with similar looking schedules as far as ranked teams go.

In '77 they were 11-1 and so was Notre Dame. But Notre Dame happened to beat Texas 38-10 in the Cotton Bowl.

Do other wiki pages have something like this? Apparently yes. For Nebraska:

quote:

Unclaimed nat'l titles 9 (1915, 1921, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1993, 1999)

Where does this come from?

e: Missouri, hell yes!

quote:

Unclaimed nat'l titles 2 (1960, 2007)

Kiss the unclaimed non-existent rings.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

I think it’s reasonable to look at college football pre and post integration as two separate epochs for the sport. That’s not to say that a win in 1955 is any less valid than a win in 1985, just that what’s happened in the last 50 years may be more relevant to current discussion than what happened the 50 years before that.

I don't entirely disagree with you but teams didn't integrate at the same time so it's a weird metric. You have a rivalry and it's heavily slanted against TAMU and that's cool but arbitrarily throwing 75 in there cuz it makes it even....c'mon mang.

Grittybeard posted:

They're not even claiming them though? And the first two years I looked up they don't have a particularly good argument. '81 they were 10-1-1, Clemson was 12-0 with similar looking schedules as far as ranked teams go.

In '77 they were 11-1 and so was Notre Dame. But Notre Dame happened to beat Texas 38-10 in the Cotton Bowl.

Do other wiki pages have something like this? Apparently yes. For Nebraska:

e: Missouri, hell yes!

Kiss the unclaimed non-existent rings.

My dad talks about a lot of fictional titles for UGA. It's probably some Infowars Boomer poo poo. Much like Bear's mystique.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

My dad talks about a lot of fictional titles for UGA. It's probably some Infowars Boomer poo poo. Much like Bear's mystique.

Apparently it is a Bama type thing after actually scrolling through those long rear end pages. Those are all years where non-major polls or things like the Billingsley report named teams national champions.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Apparently it is a Bama type thing after actually scrolling through those long rear end pages. Those are all years where non-major polls or things like the Billingsley report named teams national champions.

Golden Flake Champeens

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say whoever did those Wikipedia pages is trying to have it both ways on the BS titles. Like "Look, retroactive Coley Matrix National Titles that you put on your stadium 40 years later are bullshit, but we totally also claim a few if we want to".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I appreciate UCF making dubious title claims cool again. If you won all your games then you claim that poo poo.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

PostNouveau posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say whoever did those Wikipedia pages is trying to have it both ways on the BS titles. Like "Look, retroactive Coley Matrix National Titles that you put on your stadium 40 years later are bullshit, but we totally also claim a few if we want to".

It comes from the NCAA who recognizes several “major selectors” in addition to Coaches/AP. I know for instance, OU only claims AP titles (I don’t think we have any split title claims).

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Also apparently Spencer Rattler, OU’s 5* QB commit has been declared ineligible for the remainder of his senior season. No reporting as to the reason, though his dad’s quotes make it seem like it won’t be anything that bad that would cause him to lose his offer. The rumors are either a failed drug test or that he was caught getting some strange in the bathroom at school.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

MourningView posted:

18 feels fine for Iowa. They're winning every game comfortably and look like a good team but they don't really have a signature win yet. They'll jump way up if they can beat Penn State this week

https://twitter.com/PickSixPreviews/status/1054756830642085888

Declan MacManus posted:

the idea wasn’t “florida is a bad team”; they’re not (definitely top 25, probably top 15) but uga is probably at least a touchdown better than them

as to the other thing, i think uf would do better in athens than uga would in the swamp so uga benefits from the game being in jacksonville

I have no idea what UGA is at this point, Florida can't pass so I don't consider them a real contender. Mullen is better than Smart though, Smart is going to need to maintain a talent advantage to win that matchup in the long run IMO.

zimbomonkey posted:

Memphis literally hadn't lost a game at home in 2 years. They're a really good home team.

Also if they're holding that against us they need to give equal credit to the shellacking we gave Pittsburgh, a team we destroyed that Notre Dame barely squeaked by.

Style points may matter more for UCF than for other teams but ultimately they are probably better off getting a 50/50 matchup against a 2 or 3 loss team and then maybe claiming another title off that one good win, Bama is a little too much this year so long as Tua stays healthy.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Lasagna Pilot posted:

https://twitter.com/PickSixPreviews/status/1054756830642085888

I have no idea what UGA is at this point, Florida can't pass so I don't consider them a real contender. Mullen is better than Smart though, Smart is going to need to maintain a talent advantage to win that matchup in the long run IMO.

Style points may matter more for UCF than for other teams but ultimately they are probably better off getting a 50/50 matchup against a 2 or 3 loss team and then maybe claiming another title off that one good win, Bama is a little too much this year so long as Tua stays healthy.

I don't care about whether Bama kicks the poo poo out of us. The idea that a team can go two years in a row without losing a single game and not even be considered to play in the the playoff makes winning completely irrelevant for ~half of the teams in the country. It makes the idea of a "national champion" irrelevant because it excludes so many teams just due to preconceived biases about some programs' inherent "goodness." Not only that, it places an artificial barrier on G5 schools in recruiting and fundraising. How many kids are going to immediately write off UCF or any other G5 school because they know there isn't a chance in hell of them getting to play for a championship? How many coaches will leave G5 schools at the first chance they get to get a shot at playing for titles?

And beyond that, how lovely is it for the players that bust their rear end every day, achieve literal perfection and still end up with nothing to show for it because people thought Alabama looked like a better team?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Lmao i mean I hate bama and last year we beat them and you beat us but lol they're definitely better than you

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Now that Utah is ranked it's time to make my yearly post in this section of the subforum.

Utah is ranked. Thank you and good night.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

zimbomonkey posted:

And beyond that, how lovely is it for the players that bust their rear end every day, achieve literal perfection and still end up with nothing to show for it because people thought Alabama looked like a better team?

It happened to P5 schools, too, before the playoff.

Unless G5s play a Bama or Ohio State in OOC matchups, no one is going to respect the strength of schedule.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Zach Smith is bragging about a plea deal

And the playoff could expand to 16 teams and they'd still be loath to put a G5 in because they get zero ratings and would get mollywopped by whoever the 1 or 2 seed was anyway.

E: Let's say for the sake of argument some G5 team (pick any AAC team because let's not pretend the Sun Belt, CUSA, or MAC are ever going to get a team in) has a dominant 12-0 run and wins their conference championship. In order for that team to make any kind of noise, they'd need to have enough depth to match up to a 1-2 seed and pray they have no injuries, have a national fanbase because the committee and ESPN absolutely makes ratings a priority, and most importantly be fortunate enough that despite all that, their coach wasn't poached away to a bigger paycheck as soon as the conference game ended. That is asking a whole hell of a lot.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 24, 2018

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That Plankonia shirt is dope and I think it is ridiculous to definitively say that Mullen is better than Smart considering Smart only has 2 full seasons under his belt. Smart is off to a good start and I do think Mullen is a good coach but we need a few more years to land on who is “better”

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

That Plankonia shirt is dope and I think it is ridiculous to definitively say that Mullen is better than Smart considering Smart only has 2 full seasons under his belt. Smart is off to a good start and I do think Mullen is a good coach but we need a few more years to land on who is “better”

Agreed. Saturday will tell us something but Kirby has had a lot more time to work on his program.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Now that Utah is ranked it's time to make my yearly post in this section of the subforum.

:hmmyes:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DJExile posted:

Let's say for the sake of argument some G5 team (pick any AAC team because let's not pretend the Sun Belt, CUSA, or MAC are ever going to get a team in) has a dominant 12-0 run and wins their conference championship. In order for that team to make any kind of noise, they'd need to have enough depth to match up to a 1-2 seed and pray they have no injuries, have a national fanbase because the committee and ESPN absolutely makes ratings a priority, and most importantly be fortunate enough that despite all that, their coach wasn't poached away to a bigger paycheck as soon as the conference game ended. That is asking a whole hell of a lot.
If said AAC team was enough of a TV draw to be taken seriously as a playoff contender with those conditions, then the AAC wouldn't be a "Group of" conference anymore.

That's getting slowly better but not at a pace anyone affiliated with the AAC wants.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Korranus posted:

If said AAC team was enough of a TV draw to be taken seriously as a playoff contender with those conditions, then the AAC wouldn't be a "Group of" conference anymore.

That's getting slowly better but not at a pace anyone affiliated with the AAC wants.

Yeah I was mostly suggesting them because they'd be the only G5 conference with even a shred of a prayer of getting to the playoffs. There is less than no chance of it going to any of the others.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

UCF isn't just a G5 team, when considering their schedule. They have one of the weakest schedules in the entire country. They've played no one. Squeaking past a Memphis team that got whacked by Missouri isn't impressing anyone, regardless of where the game was at. If a group of 5 team is going to make the playoffs at some point, its not going to be on a schedule like that, nor should it be.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

G-Hawk posted:

Squeaking past a Memphis team that got whacked by MissouriTulane isn't impressing anyone, regardless of where the game was at. If a group of 5 team is going to make the playoffs at some point, its not going to be on a schedule like that, nor should it be.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

General Dog posted:

Check the record post-integration

Edit: 19-17 Ags since 1975, a year picked arbitrarily to best support my point, but also before Oklahoma v NCAA in 1980 something

Yeah - but on the other hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UFJ3XNg3Uc

I miss u guys come back :(

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-QTJer3vU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

G-Hawk posted:

They've played no one.

UCF's schedule has been very bad and very unlucky but it doesn't matter who they play out of conference as long as who they play in conference is considered "no one".

Which again, that's changing but it's really slow. In five years we've gone from the AAC laughed at as Conference USA 2.0 to Memphis being UCF's best win rather than Pitt, and AAC games actually make it to network TV rather than being buried in streaming.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Georgia doesn't even recognize https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946_Georgia_Bulldogs_football_team as a national champion.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I really wish Oregon didn't have to play Utah this season. That's the loss that bumps Oregon out of the rankings.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Korranus posted:

UCF's schedule has been very bad and very unlucky but it doesn't matter who they play out of conference as long as who they play in conference is considered "no one".

Which again, that's changing but it's really slow. In five years we've gone from the AAC laughed at as Conference USA 2.0 to Memphis being UCF's best win rather than Pitt, and AAC games actually make it to network TV rather than being buried in streaming.

The conference is "no one" though. The teams in it largely are not good. There are occasionally exceptions year to year but its treated as if its a significantly worse conference than P5s because it is, its not really some terrible conspiracy by the networks or whatever.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Lmao i mean I hate bama and last year we beat them and you beat us but lol they're definitely better than you

I never said UCF is better than Bama this year. I don't think that at all. But hypothetical "who might beat who"
are a terrible way to decide any national champion. And yes, I'm aware this has been a problem since the BCS era.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

zimbomonkey posted:

And yes, I'm aware this has been a problem since the BCS era.

Little bit longer than that.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Well recruiting and then coaching well enough to not lose to weaker rosters is the majority of "coaching" for top 25 college programs, Smart has a vastly better recruiting network setup than Mullen and there is no reason that think that is going to change either, the key will be to see how big the advantage needs to be on average and then of course there is the "Does our QB suck this year" test in which Mullen will be bringing added value re: evals and development but however if UGA recruits a 5* elite 11 QB every year then those dice might still roll better than Mullen's dice.

But beyond that I am skeptical that Smart's Xs and Os on the defensive side of the ball are going to be swinging big games, and I am not impressed with his road performances so far. But then again Ed Orgeron isn't really an Xs and Os guy at all and he is doing well, you can go a long way by having a talent advantage and hiring good assistants.

But I don't think it's a ridiculous assessment in the slightest if you appreciate how big a stipulation hand-waving away the talent gap is. I'd take a few offensive coaches over Saban if we are stipulating no talent gap.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Yeah - but on the other hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UFJ3XNg3Uc

I miss u guys come back :(

You're bad for me but I can't quit u

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I'd take a few offensive coaches over Saban if we are stipulating no talent gap.

:stare:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

D.N. Nation posted:

Georgia doesn't even recognize https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946_Georgia_Bulldogs_football_team as a national champion.

All I took from this is that the game against Georgia Tech is called "Clean Old Fashioned Hate" which rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean,_Old-Fashioned_Hate

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

All I took from this is that the game against Georgia Tech is called "Clean Old Fashioned Hate" which rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean,_Old-Fashioned_Hate

Sent me looking for college rivalry game names. I like the Anchor Bone Classic (Ferris State/Grand Valley State). I think it's a play on their mascots but I don't even care why it's named that.

Memphis UAB is apparently the Battle for the Bones and the trophy is a giant golden rack of ribs. MTSU/WKU is 100 miles of hate which isn't bad. Alcorn State/Jackson State=The Soul Bowl.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Don't forget the Civil ConFLiCT.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Lasagna Pilot posted:

s&p+ has florida at 14 and uga at 5; florida seems about right and uga seems kinda high

i wrote out a longer post but my phone ate it because iOS is terrible but the larger point was that regardless of where florida and georgia are headed in the future (spoilers florida Is going good places imo), uga by -6.5 is a reasonable line in light of where they are as of right now

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mahoning posted:

Don't forget the Civil ConFLiCT.

Yeah the Civil ConFLiCT is, in every way imaginable, the worst rivalry ever
1. It was made up entirely by UConn without consulting UCF, UCF learned about it through twitter
2. They had only played twice before
3. The schools are 1000 miles apart, UConn isn't good enoguh to compete with UCF for divisional titles, and the two schools share nothing that would make them natural rivals
4. The name is supposed to hint at the Civil War I guess but "civil conflict" is just such a limp-dicked term for a civil war
5. When UCF won, they left the trophy on the field
6. UCF makes not accepting the trophy and not calling it a rivalry a point of pride

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

If we're strictly going by in-game performance, I concur that Kirby will have to shake off his stubborn commitment to The Gameplan to be an elite of the elite coach. The famed adjustments made in the Rose Bowl comeback – Kirby's best game as a coach IMO – were more from the offense sighing and taking what OU's terrible defense was giving it, and the UGA defense playing to its potential (with a little bit more QB pressure). Not much Xs and Os wizardry than "let's just play better."

He needs to come to the same "fine, I'll hire Lane Kiffin as OC" place that Saban did on offense. Georgia's offensive identity is primarily primum non nocere, which works when you have Nick and Sony around to eat up 7-yard runs no matter what, but less so when you've got a lot of interesting, moving parts that need the ball in space. Though the funny thing is, a ground and pound identity would've worked better against LSU than whatever Fromm was doing.

I don't think Mullen is that great of a technician either, mind. Miss. State came into Athens last season with all the hype and momentum in the world, Mullen brought exactly one offensive idea to the table, UGA's defense destroyed it, so he shrugged and played the clock out like an NFL coach.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
You can't just go around using latin phrases to describe SEC football teams, I don't think the universe can take that

• Locked thread