Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Used a dusty gift card on an Anker Powercore 20,000 for work/hiking and holy crap it’s amazing how much magic go-juice is in this thing that weighs less than a pound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Nice to have a PC again that isn't big and loud.

Intel NUC8 Core i7 Gaming Mini PC Kit with dGFx, 16GB RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

beefnoodle posted:

Nice to have a PC again that isn't big and loud.

Intel NUC8 Core i7 Gaming Mini PC Kit with dGFx, 16GB RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD:

No picture of the glowing skull on top :v:

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

JEEVES420 posted:

No picture of the glowing skull on top :v:

Guess what got disabled straightaway?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

beefnoodle posted:

N-nothing? :ohdear:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

beefnoodle posted:

The secondary NIC?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

The problem with TVs is that they last forever. I bought my first ever HDTV in 2007 and it's still working like a champ. Yeah it's plasma and it's heavy but it still looks good IMO and I can't justify buying a new TV.

I've had the worst luck with TVs.

Bought a 40" Samsung for $899 in 2009. By 2012, something failed in the main board and the picture was always tinted pink. Paid $150 for a local repair shop to swap in a new board. Worked fine for a little over a year. 2013 rolls around, same pink-picture issue.

Said "gently caress it" and replaced it with a 47" Vizio. Why pay for a major brand if I'm going to get burned on quality anyway? Vizio was fine until 2016, when it just stopped displaying a picture. Power light would come on, but no picture. Ordered a board and replaced it myself. Worked fine for another year, then boom, same problem. Replaced the board again. Year and a half later, same problem. Power, no picture.

Went to Costco, bought a 55" TCL on sale for like $350. Bought the SquareTrade warranty. 2 year standard Costco warranty + 3 year SquareTrade + 2 year Costco Visa extended warranty = 7 years of warranty coverage. COME AT ME, HARDWARE FAILURES

Of course, with my luck, the cheapest TV I've bought in the last 10 years will probably last until the heat death of the universe.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Argyle posted:

Of course, with my luck, the cheapest TV I've bought in the last 10 years will probably last until the heat death of the universe.

Yeah but, how lovely is the TCL? I imagine my gripes with cheap TVs would probably be with the remote, interface, and speakers more so than picture quality.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

colas posted:

Yeah but, how lovely is the TCL? I imagine my gripes with cheap TVs would probably be with the remote, interface, and speakers more so than picture quality.

Honestly, I'm very impressed overall. It's a Roku TV, so the included remote is pretty simplified. I only wish it was bluetooth like other Roku remotes, but that's a minor complaint. It takes a few extra button presses to navigate to certain settings, but after initial setup/calibration, I rarely need to go deep into the settings menus anyway. The interface is identical to any other Roku device, except there are additional "channels" for your other inputs (cable box, game consoles, etc). I'm a longtime Roku user, so there was very little learning curve for me.

Picture quality is pretty great. I definitely noticed a difference on the showroom floor between the TCL's and the high-end Samsungs and LGs, but compared to the "mid-range" TV's from the major brands, I could barely tell a difference. The wide viewing angles are not great, but all of my seating is pretty much head-on to the TV so that's a non-issue for me.

I have no idea what the speakers sound like because I had it plugged into a soundbar from Day 1.

Bottom line is, if you're a cinephile, you were never going to buy a TCL anyway. But for an average consumer I think the TCL Roku TVs are totally worth a look. I do wish I had some more sophisticated fine-tuning in the picture settings, but it suits my TV/movie/gaming needs perfectly fine. Considering the TV plus Squaretrade was barely over $400 out the door, the value is outstanding. If build quality ever becomes an issue, I've got 7 years of warranty and Costco's fantastic customer service backing me up.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I've had the 2017 model TCL for over a year now. The only thing that Argyle didn't mention/get right is the black levels. The blacks are really, really bad. Like, tried to watch Game of Thrones and most scenes in a crypt, or inside any dark building look like they are just disembodied heads floating in a sea of charcoal grey.

Anything brighter though looks goddamn incredible. Major standouts are Planet Earth 2 and Chasing Coral.

It's a 65" 4K HDR Roku TV for $480 on Amazon sale. Even with the lovely blacks, it's a steal even at normal price.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Doom Rooster posted:

I've had the 2017 model TCL for over a year now. The only thing that Argyle didn't mention/get right is the black levels. The blacks are really, really bad. Like, tried to watch Game of Thrones and most scenes in a crypt, or inside any dark building look like they are just disembodied heads floating in a sea of charcoal grey.

Completely true. I guess I failed to mention it because I haven't watched GoT or anything with a lot of dark scenes on it for a while. My TV use is mostly video games, sports, animation, Great British Bake Off, and other well-lit programming.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

colas posted:

It's worlds better than my last one, which was a Proscan 50" 1080p. Color quality and brightness are through the roof by comparison, and it was cheaper.

Yeah it's no OLED but it's still a drat fine display for the money. The smart stuff isn't half bad either, decent speakers too, but I still use a receiver.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

fyallm posted:

New .556 and 9mm!

Who makes that AR-9? Been looking at the angstadt arms version.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Coffee And Pie posted:

Fake Balenciagas from Boohoo

Got these in 11

And these in 12

Not sure which will fit so I guess whichever fits is the one I’ll keep

So long story short, Boohoo hosed me over. So I have new Fauxlenciagas from Finish Line coming that are even nicer

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
All sneakers look alike to me so I'll never understand sneaker fashion but I'm happy that you are happy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Coffee And Pie posted:

So long story short, Boohoo hosed me over. So I have new Fauxlenciagas from Finish Line coming that are even nicer

these all look like 90s Walmart shoes to me and I'm very confused

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I think that's the draw. We'll see flannel shirts tied around waists again soon enough

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Sentient Data posted:

I think that's the draw. We'll see flannel shirts tied around waists again soon enough

That happened back in 2012-2016 with the tumblr grunge girl scene.

Bottom Liner posted:

I’m reliving my childhood. Plus these chunky boys will make me tall.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Look up the super expensive shoes they're imitating, which are like 10x chunkier.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

mystes posted:

Look up the super expensive shoes they're imitating, which are like 10x chunkier.

And 10x more expensive

mystes
May 31, 2006

They're also expensive, btw.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
All sneaker/tennis shoes/whatever all look like KMart to me. And that's cool.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is what the real thing looks like:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

mystes posted:

This looks like a hobo wore out one pair of shoes and glued parts from other shoes onto it to repair it. Then repeated that cycle several more times.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

rockcity posted:

This looks like a hobo wore out one pair of shoes and glued parts from other shoes onto it to repair it. Then repeated that cycle several more times.

Oh it gets better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ULoQ9WIpaU

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
This thread knocked it out of the park with the ExOfficio boxer recommendations a while back. Any similar recommendations for life changing undershirts?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

RFX posted:

This thread knocked it out of the park with the ExOfficio boxer recommendations a while back. Any similar recommendations for life changing undershirts?

Airism from Uniqlo.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Airism from Uniqlo.

Absolutely this. I got sent to NYC for work last September and as soon as I got into the land of swampass I walked to the Uniqlo store and bought two shirts and two boxers. They saved my life that trip.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Speaking of boxers, I just ordered these. Never tried ethika before but I like the bear and there's a nice river landscape on the butt.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

davebo posted:

Speaking of boxers, I just ordered these. Never tried ethika before but I like the bear and there's a nice river landscape on the butt.

oh hell yes my dude love to put a grizzly on and around my johnson

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mystes posted:

I totally dig hot colors on shoes and ugly is usually good but these shoes look like orthopedic old-people shoes. I’m starting to think Kanye West just has a hosed up spine and is trying to make the shoes he has to wear cool. No thanks.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They're deliberately stupid looking because that's fashion, or something.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It looks like someone made shoes out of aged computer equipment.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

RFX posted:

I recommend checking out MeUndies boxer briefs too, they're super comfortable.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

mystes posted:

:barf:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hahaha holy poo poo.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

mystes posted:

They're deliberately stupid looking because that's fashion, or something.

It's like someone unironically making the homer car

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Streetwear fashion is easy just get a crappy white t shirt and put "Stussy x [Brand]" on it and sell it for $90.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

mystes posted:

I want to look like I glued cookies to my shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The thing people dont get about the super expensive fashion sneakers is, you need to be suitably attired in other stupid fashion forward clothing to make them 'fit'

Someone wearing regular clothing from walmart with high end fashion sneakers on will end up looking like a total failure at life