Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I mean, if you KNOW you're not supposed to cut down trees, you've been denied permission, and you do it anyway you're kind of a moron who deserves a big fat fee, regardless if the rule is stupid or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sure. Those deals were made when the NFL was the only TV category increasing year over year and the price reflected that. Ratings have dropped between 15 and 20% in the last 2 years. The next contract will reflect that. If viewership keeps going down the next contract is going to be a bloodbath.

I probably understated the sport's revenue generation, what I was trying to get at is it's iffy profitability at mid-to-low tier markets which rely a lot on revenue sharing and their chunk of the TV contracts. It'd probably be more profitable for owners to invest their money in something else. Their biggest value is the fact cities can't make new sports teams, so existing teams are that much more expensive. Even the Browns.

A good troll

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

StormDrain posted:

What kind of communist county doesn’t allow them to own the trees on their own land? gently caress that place.

A neighbor of my family got slapped with big fines for chopping down trees on his property because it affected protected wetlands nearby. Also he knew that ahead of time. That seemed pretty good and reasonable to me so hooray for communism.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

What kind of loving apocalypse hellscape protects its natural resources?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

SpelledBackwards posted:

All the other tree law stories have penalties 10-100x that much per tree. What gives?

The other trees are more valuable. It's based upon the cost to put an exact copy of that tree back the original spot. 10-year-old trees that sprouted on a former dairy farm are easy to replace. Especially since they are probably native to the area. The other cases are much higher because it hard to get rare trees, and it's hard to move massive multi-century trees, and it's hard to get trees to grow if a bunch of sidewalks were added to the area after the original planting.

For example, the classic reddit case was like $40k per white oak. They were massive, centuries old trees that would require a 18-wheeler to move, and the lost trees were in Oregon. White oaks should not grow in Oregon, but the plantiff's great-grandfather managed to make them grow anyway. Trying to pull off that feat again adds a lot to the cost of the trees.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

neonbregna posted:

A good troll

Not a troll. Just a classic example of the BFC obsession with Purporting to Know Everything About Everything

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Jalopnik posted:

More Than Half of All New Car Loans in Canada are Financed for 84-Months: Report

In a nutshell, “long-term financing has exploded in Canada,” the company’s automotive expert Robert Karwel said. At one point earlier this year, 55 per cent of all new car loans were for at least 84 months.

This is like what we’ve seen in the U.S. on steroids. More people are taking out loans that last up to 96 months, which is an incredible amount of time for a machine that depreciates immediately upon being purchased.

7 and even 8 year loan terms are becoming the "norm" for new car loans in North America. Fuuuuuuck.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

At the very least, cars nowadays are better built than they used to be, so an 8-year-old car isn't a piece of crap like it was a couple decades ago.

... but who am I kidding, these people are rolling their loan over onto a new car 3 years into owning it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah the new norm is just "always having a $500 car payment" with no awareness of equity.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I’m always amazed at how Canada can watch the US do a stupid thing and then go, “hold my beer.”

We should be happy their military isn’t larger.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

I mean, if you KNOW you're not supposed to cut down trees, you've been denied permission, and you do it anyway you're kind of a moron who deserves a big fat fee, regardless if the rule is stupid or not.
Not getting permits for poo poo you know you need permits for is def bad with money.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Title: A pet store lied to us and took out a 7,000$ loan in my mothers name without our knowledge or consent
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9qkb1j/a_pet_store_lied_to_us_and_took_out_a_7000_loan/
Original Post:

quote:

So my boyfriend and I got a basset hound puppy from Petland about a month ago and our first payment is coming up on the 25th, the full price of the dog is 2,525.47 and I was told we would be making a payment of 230$ for 12 months which totals out to 2,760.

When we were in the process of doing our credit check to see if we (my s.o. and I) qualified for their financing program they said we were very very close to apply for it but we need a little more credit so they asked us to get a co-signer, to which my mother agreed to be.

At this point I was taken into a back room when they had me get her bank info because she couldn’t physically be there and I was told her credit would be enough to qualify.

The manager said we had qualified for up to 6,000$ financing but he was only doing the 2,600, the actual price of the dog, and that we would be making 230$ a month for 12 months.

In the mail about two weeks or so ago my boyfriend, Mother, and I got letters from a third party credit company and they said that my bf and I both had NO CREDIT WHATSOEVER. NONE. NOT A SINGLE CREDIT POINT! And my mother had incredibly low credit.

At this point we were frustrated because they lied to us about our credit to get us into going through with it and getting the dog.

They ended up putting the payments on my mothers bank account even though I told them to put them on my boyfriends.

We tried to get this fixed and the manager had us call the company but they said our “account” hadn’t been fully set up yet and to call back in a week or so.

Earlier today my mother got an email from the loan company and it says she will have to pay off the 6,683$ loan and has to make payments of 230$ for 30 months which is 6,900$ which is not at all what we were told.

We were completely lied to and manipulated in the process of getting the dog, I was told something completely different then what’s actually happening, I feel completely used, and feel I was taken advantage of.

Is there anything we can do? Can we sue them if need be? Please help.

TL;DR: a pet store sold us a 2,500$ dog and lied to us so now we have to pay a 7,000$ loan

Spent $7k on a dog what do?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
The comments are so infuriating. This person clearly has no idea what a loan is.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

look at this great human being

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

canyoneer posted:

Title: A pet store lied to us and took out a 7,000$ loan in my mothers name without our knowledge or consent
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9qkb1j/a_pet_store_lied_to_us_and_took_out_a_7000_loan/
Original Post:

Spent $7k on a dog what do?

That should be a pretty open and shut case if they have a bill of sale that contradicts the loan app and disbursement. Though if you're at "dog financing" level BWM you're way beyond "never keeps documents" level BWM.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

please knock Mom! posted:

to be fair dude is sitting at nearly 600 downvotes so at least most people are agreeing they are trash.

I bet this is the same guy from that co-op cashier job post who ended not getting the job because he didn't agree that the managers/supervisor makes the same pay as the cashiers who get paid more than market average and got in a fight with the hiring manager trying to give him more money.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Guinness posted:

7 and even 8 year loan terms are becoming the "norm" for new car loans in North America. Fuuuuuuck.
If you have good credit and the dealer offers you a 7 year note that's 200 basis points below your mortgage, why not?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stumbled into /r/legaladvice straight from /r/naruto.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Guinness posted:

What used to be the "normal" length of time for car loans? 3-4 years?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

It’s like a polite JS.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Dik Hz posted:

If you have good credit and the dealer offers you a 7 year note that's 200 basis points below your mortgage, why not?

You're not getting that with 7 or 8 year loans. Especially not anymore.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sirotan posted:

What used to be the "normal" length of time for car loans? 3-4 years?

I think 1,3,5 is what I remember being pretty standard. None of this 6+ year poo poo.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Harry posted:

You're not getting that with 7 or 8 year loans. Especially not anymore.

The Canadian girl from that story got a 7 year 0% car loan. Even if it’s one of those “zero percent but actually 0.9%” things that’s still pretty good especially since she rolled her higher interest student loan into it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Yeah that seems very gwm

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Unless the way you get that promotional financing, commonly, is to pay MSRP for the car instead of accepting generous manufacturer discounts. There are rarely free lunches in the car world (PS don't ever pay MSRP or the openly advertised price for any car that isn't a limited allocation collectors vehicle or something, even if the dealer says they are no haggle. all dealers that want to sell cars will haggle with you even if it's only $500 or something relatively trivial)

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 25, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

brugroffil posted:

Yeah that seems very gwm

Until the Repo man comes for your diploma.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lockback posted:

Until the Repo man comes for your diploma.

Joke's on them if you never graduated :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
There's a part of me that wants to get in the pet loan business, until I realize that I'd end up repossessing pets. And there's only so much room on the farm upstate. :ohdear:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

There's a part of me that wants to get in the pet loan business, until I realize that I'd end up repossessing pets. And there's only so much room on the farm upstate. :ohdear:

Don't they threaten to kill the repossessed pets? I could have sworn that was one of their collection methods. If you don't pay not only do you lose your friend, but we're going to put him or her down too.

So you may need far less room than you think.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Wafer posted:

Don't they threaten to kill the repossessed pets? I could have sworn that was one of their collection methods. If you don't pay not only do you lose your friend, but we're going to put him or her down too.

So you may need far less room than you think.

I have some bad news for you about your childhood pet that was sent to the farm upstate

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Did this get posted yet?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/debt-car-loans-long-term-1.4863737

quote:

In a nutshell, "long-term financing has exploded in Canada," the company's automotive expert Robert Karwel said. At one point earlier this year, 55 per cent of all new car loans were for at least 84 months.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Albertans tend to have the biggest amount of car-related debt, partly because of the province's penchant for expensive pickup trucks, TransUnion's Matt Fabian says. (CBC)

This is the best sentence in the article.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wolfy posted:

Albertans tend to have the biggest amount of car-related debt, partly because of the province's penchant for expensive pickup trucks, TransUnion's Matt Fabian says. (CBC)

This is the best sentence in the article.

Also the least surprising.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Unless the way you get that promotional financing, commonly, is to pay MSRP for the car instead of accepting generous manufacturer discounts. There are rarely free lunches in the car world (PS don't ever pay MSRP or the openly advertised price for any car that isn't a limited allocation collectors vehicle or something, even if the dealer says they are no haggle. all dealers that want to sell cars will haggle with you even if it's only $500 or something relatively trivial)

I'm in Canada and just got a 6 year loan for a new vehicle at 0% interest (actually 0%, not 0.9 or anything) I could have probably saved another grand or two on the purchase price of the vehicle if I paid cash, but why on earth would I pull 30k out of my investments which are returning 5-8% to save a few grand? Even if I could save 5k on the MSRP by paying cash, the ROI on the investments outweighs the cash discount.

Oh, and I've got a depreciation insurance rider as well - if I write it off within the next 2 years they cut me a check for the MSRP of the current model year, even if the current model year is more expensive.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 25, 2018

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

I'm in Canada and just got a 6 year loan for a new vehicle at 0% interest (actually 0%, not 0.9 or anything) I could have probably saved another grand or two on the purchase price of the vehicle if I paid cash, but why on earth would I pull 30k out of my investments which are returning 5-8% to save a few grand? Even if I could save 5k on the MSRP by paying cash, the ROI on the investments outweighs the cash discount.

Oh, and I've got a depreciation insurance rider as well - if I write it off within the next 2 years they cut me a check for the MSRP of the current model year, even if the current model year is more expensive.

So if you can establish the cash discount then you can impute an interest rate and realize your "0% interest" is not really "0% interest" but rather a loan with $Y prepaid interest applied at inception. You may nonetheless elect to finance the vehicle for opportunity cost, time value of money, cash flow, and/or tax reasons but if there is a cash discount it is false from an economic standpoint to describe the deal as a 0% loan.

As far as your hypothetical example of a $5k cash discount: $25,000 sales price financed for 6 years/72 months with $5,000 of interest paid for a total of $30,000 in principal and interest is equivalent to a 6.2% interest rate, and most people would probably take guaranteed savings of 6.2% interest over market returns on that sum of money. More realistically a cash discount or manufacturer's incentive is like $1,500 or $2,000 which is 2-3% over 5-6 years on a $30,000 MSRP car, probably slightly better than financing at market rate with a third party bank or CU.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah, there was no cash discount at this point in time, it was whatever you could negotiate off the car. I negotiated final purchase price before talking finance vs cash, so in my case it is a 0% loan - there was no cash incentive offered, as I did ask. I see where you're coming from though.

And honestly I'd still leave the investments in regardless, 5% ROI per year on 30k investments is 9K not counting the compounding, over 6 years. While I might not get that every year, over the course of 6 years an average of 5% ROI/year is a pretty safe (obviously not guaranteed) bet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

From the schadenfreude thread, one of the dumbest BWM things I've seen... paying $20/month for the privilege of modding a Facebook group.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
God I feel old and out of touch.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Enos Cabell posted:

From the schadenfreude thread, one of the dumbest BWM things I've seen... paying $20/month for the privilege of modding a Facebook group.

I've just had a great idea to fund the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GWM is raking in $1000 a month from a bunch of rubes so they can get 'exposure' and 'experience' modding whatever facebook group that's about.

I mean I was a big enough idiot to mod chatrooms for like 5 years, but at least I never paid for the privilege of babysitting internet slapfights.