Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I know I'm dumb as hell because I still get tripped up on "wait, so do I vote for this or against this?" based on how it's worded.

Corps want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This is why I just do a seconds worth of research to see who's bank rolling the for/against campaigns.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I know I'm dumb as hell because I still get tripped up on "wait, so do I vote for this or against this?" based on how it's worded.

remember a vote on 1639 is a vote for safety ( itsssss nnnnoooooottttttt )

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

MaxPowers posted:

remember a vote on 1639 is a vote for safety ( itsssss nnnnoooooottttttt )

The only time you have dropped into this thread is to yell about 1639. You have a marine av, and post in the military sub-forum. You don't hang out with patriot prayer and the proud boys by chance? You sure sound like them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DevNull posted:

The only time you have dropped into this thread is to yell about 1639. You have a marine av, and post in the military sub-forum. You don't hang out with patriot prayer and the proud boys by chance? You sure sound like them.

Are you the loving gatekeeper of this thread?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
As an ignorant Midwesterner, may I ask what 1639 is?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Frightening Knight posted:

As an ignorant Midwesterner, may I ask what 1639 is?

https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_Initiative_1639,_Changes_to_Gun_Ownership_and_Purchase_Requirements_Measure_(2018)

Gun control initiative:

A yes vote supports the ballot initiative to implement restrictions on the purchase and ownership of firearms including raising the minimum age to purchase a gun to 21, background checks, waiting periods, and storage requirements.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This link leads to a page does not exist for me but ok. So is a yes vote more gun control and a no vote less?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

This link leads to a page does not exist for me but ok. So is a yes vote more gun control and a no vote less?

Fixed the link, sorry!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

seiferguy posted:

Fixed the link, sorry!

I see. I’m disappointed it’s focusing on rifles instead of handguns. But it doesn’t affect me so my opinion doesn’t matter I suppose.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yes vote is more gun control. And frankly I don't even give a gently caress about whether it's that great of a law at this point, I'll vote for pretty much any gun control out of spite because of what a terrible case gun humpers have made for themselves.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

therobit posted:

When he sounds exactly like people that have been bringing violence into my real life neighborhood, yes.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

They wouldn't be the first person to run around concern trolling D&D threads because someone's discussing gun control.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DevNull posted:

When he sounds exactly like people that have been bringing violence into my real life neighborhood, yes.

Lol, you are delusional.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

therobit posted:

Lol, you are delusional.

How am I delusional? Patriot prayer and the proud boys marched on UW campus and through the neighborhood picking fights. They were joined by groups like Cascade Legion and the 3%. The proud boys just attacked a bunch of people in New York and Portland. These are things that have actually happened.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Independent media, ladies and gentlemen: https://twitter.com/wweek/status/1055119225293987847

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Drugs and guns, obviously the same thing, zero differences between them and how they are used.

I just think that some of the things that contribute to both gun violence and drug addiction being such pervasive problems are similar. I don't have any guns and only really use them for hunting but I don't like reactions like this:

DrNutt posted:

Yes vote is more gun control. And frankly I don't even give a gently caress about whether it's that great of a law at this point, I'll vote for pretty much any gun control out of spite because of what a terrible case gun humpers have made for themselves.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shifty Nipples posted:

I just think that some of the things that contribute to both gun violence and drug addiction being such pervasive problems are similar. I don't have any guns and only really use them for hunting but I don't like reactions like this:

Guns are their own mental illness in this country and the less people that have them the better. I'm pretty much done with the precious fee fees of people who hold their rights to stockpile murder weapons over the lives of children. The less people with guns the better.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DrNutt posted:

Guns are their own mental illness in this country and the less people that have them the better. I'm pretty much done with the precious fee fees of people who hold their rights to stockpile murder weapons over the lives of children. The less people with guns the better.

It would be better if you did not stigmatize mental health in this way, considering that your average right wing gun nut is perfectly sane, just also a prick.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shifty Nipples posted:

Also if you're talking about things contributing to both gun violence AND drug addiction in the same breath then you're talking about "problems" at such a macro level that you might as well not bother engaging in discussion.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

It would be better if you did not stigmatize mental health in this way, considering that your average right wing gun nut is perfectly sane, just also a prick.

You're right, and as someone who has dealt with plenty of their own mental illness, I sincerely apologise.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I've decided I'm going to vote for the gun control measure so if it wins by 1 vote you can blame me.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
the only poll done on 1639 shows 59% in favor, 34% opposed, 7% undecided with a 5% MOE so unless that poll hugely wrong and hosed up it probably won't even be close. And the previous 2 gun control ballot initiatives won by 39 and 19 points respectively

source: https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_Initiative_1639,_Changes_to_Gun_Ownership_and_Purchase_Requirements_Measure_(2018)
https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_Individual_Gun_Access_Prevention_by_Court_Order,_Initiative_1491_(2016)
https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_Universal_Background_Checks_for_Gun_Purchases,_Initiative_594_(2014)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My understanding is that gun rights groups such as the NRA really didn't put any funding into the no on 1639 effort. It doesn't have the insane corporate backing that the other ones have.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Listen to Nobody's Biz by the Four Fists. Then come see them tonight at Neumo's.

I don't understand why Republicans need to own guns when they can just call the police to shoot people for them.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
conservatives simultaneously worship and revere cops/military and also need guns to shoot them in case the gubmint comes to redistribute their medicare

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

WA is going to continue to be The Good Place, with regressive taxes.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

What I'm saying is Bob Ferguson is a time traveling Ted Danson.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

seiferguy posted:

A yes vote supports the ballot initiative to implement restrictions on the purchase and ownership of firearms including raising the minimum age to purchase a gun to 21, background checks, waiting periods, and storage requirements.

Restrictions enforced by the super moral and just group of people know as the cops, even.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
So....

"Under the measure, a person who left a firearm in a place where a prohibited person (someone who is prohibited from firearm possession under state or federal law) could potentially gain access to the firearm would be guilty of community endangerment, a class C felony, if a prohibited person gained access to the firearm. Under the measure, when selling a firearm, every dealer would be required to offer to sell or give the purchaser a gun storage device such as a trigger lock designed to stop unauthorized use of the firearm. Additionally, every place where firearms are sold would be required to display the following sign, in block letters (capitalized) and at least one inch in height"

If someone steals a firearm, why should I be charged with a class C felony?

What are the crime rates involving the following?
-Individuals under 21
-Semi automatic rifles

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Senor P. posted:

-Semi automatic rifles

Clearly our most pressing problem, just 9th in line, behind such mortal terrors as "being beaten to death by an unarmed assailant" and just edging out "being lit directly on fire"

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Javid posted:

Clearly our most pressing problem, just 9th in line, behind such mortal terrors as "being beaten to death by an unarmed assailant" and just edging out "being lit directly on fire"
Not to be a dick but is there a link to some state or federal website this statistic comes from?

Or is this assembled into pie-chart form from some other data set?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 25, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

fbi dot gov

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....n_2009-2013.xls

e: I mean I personally made the pie chart, but using FBI numbers

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

If it's an "unknown firearm," how do you know it's not a rifle?

Have you called the FBI and let them know you have a forensic methodology for eliminating rifles as a possible murder weapon purely from looking at an Excel file? Because they should really bring you on as a consultant.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Christ.

I was wrong. The show's at the Nectar.

Gonna be a long night.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

If it's an "unknown firearm," how do you know it's not a rifle?

Have you called the FBI and let them know you have a forensic methodology for eliminating rifles as a possible murder weapon purely from looking at an Excel file? Because they should really bring you on as a consultant.

Not really, like if they had any idea what it was it wouldn't be "unknown", it was either leave it as a category or assume they're divided proportionally to the other firearm categories which would've not even pushed rifles out of the 2.x% range iirc

If you've got a better way to divine the composition of that "unknown" slice of the chart lay it out and we can see what it comes out to

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

assault rifles are suspect because of the outlier incidents of high casualty shootings, and also because they are military weapons and there's a general sense they dont belong in civil society. If we were basing gun laws on statistics they'd be a lot harsher, anyway.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

assault rifles

they are military weapons and

This is the kind of thing that leads to arguments for no reason. For the most part these are not available in the states where gun laws have a chance to begin with.

Like I dont think Texas or Nevada are going to ban anything soon.

If you want a fully automatic rifle have fun moving to Texas and paying a shitload of money for one made before the cutoff date or whatever.

A cop made a video trying to get people to be less loving dumb about "scary looking is bad" years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yATeti5GmI8

5m55s has a good example of the cosmetic effects.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Senor P. posted:

So....

"Under the measure, a person who left a firearm in a place where a prohibited person (someone who is prohibited from firearm possession under state or federal law) could potentially gain access to the firearm would be guilty of community endangerment, a class C felony, if a prohibited person gained access to the firearm. Under the measure, when selling a firearm, every dealer would be required to offer to sell or give the purchaser a gun storage device such as a trigger lock designed to stop unauthorized use of the firearm. Additionally, every place where firearms are sold would be required to display the following sign, in block letters (capitalized) and at least one inch in height"

If someone steals a firearm, why should I be charged with a class C felony?

-Individuals under 21
-Semi automatic rifles

Why didn't you have your gun safely secured by equipping it with a simple trigger lock?

I was on the peninsula yesterday and I saw a TON of signs about this calling it "the billionaire's scheme" (lol) and saying something about a lifetime medical privacy waiver. Can some mah guns goons expand on this waiver? Is this related to the state being able to confiscate your weapons if they believe you're having a mental health crisis? I thought that was a separate law that was approved by the legislature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Why didn't you have your gun safely secured by equipping it with a simple trigger lock?
What if the gun was safely secured with a simple trigger lock, and then someone removed the trigger lock? The idea that people ostensibly in favor of safe storage of guns also think that trigger locks are a remotely acceptable way to store a gun is really weird.