Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

So, Starlink. Good? I'm completely ignoring the RL toy aspect but I'm hearing it's pretty good for all that?

Totally worth it digitally. Look up some gameplay footage and watch for a bit. Just remember that that is pretty much the game- there's merit to the argument that it gets repetitive, but if it's your kind of thing you won't notice. It's a good game, and an insanely better value than Kirby, which I traded in for

edit: Also I read in multiple reviews that the dreadnought fights suck and what the gently caress. They rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

Totally worth it digitally. Look up some gameplay footage and watch for a bit. Just remember that that is pretty much the game- there's merit to the argument that it gets repetitive, but if it's your kind of thing you won't notice. It's a good game, and an insanely better value than Kirby, which I traded in for

edit: Also I read in multiple reviews that the dreadnought fights suck and what the gently caress. They rule

A lot of people get hung up on the actual space combat because the game loooves throwing tons of enemies at you if you don't understand the flow of combat and how you need to play the objective, especially during dreadnought fights. In dreadnought fights you need to kill all the fighters before you destroy a turret, because each turret you destroy spawns a new group of fighters to attack you and if you focus all your attention on the turrets you're going to get overwhelmed fast. With outlaw bases it's the opposite, you need to focus the main turrets shooting the red missiles at you because they're the biggest threat early on, then once they're gone start taking out the outlaws themselves while being really, really careful not to get punked by all the mines that start showing up [shield is your friend here]. Also gravity weapons are insanely good in space combat because that vortex can easily hit grouped-up ships.

One major pet peeve I have about the controls is how it's really hard to move around, barrel roll, and turn at the same time without having to clawgrip the pad because boost/barrel roll/u-turn is on A, while it would be easier to do all that at once if I could put it on R, a button that rarely sees any immediate use in combat. Sadly, though, you can't rebind buttons at all.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im real excited for diablo on switch. nothing will be better than portable fuckin diablo

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

YggiDee posted:

This may sound weird, but has anyone else had their copy of TWEWY running one hour behind the system clock? I can't figure out why this is happening.

The game just crashed on me, and the when it reopened the time was corrected.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

im real excited for diablo on switch. nothing will be better than portable fuckin diablo

Until smash

Weedle
May 31, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

Me too!!!!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

DLC Inc posted:

I would like portable path of exile more but holy poo poo I am ready to spend the rest of the year on portable diablo for sure.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Divinity needs to hurry up too.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

You need Nintendo Online for Diablo, don’t you?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
the Hidden Folks devs sent out an email announcing a new DLC area today, and hid a tiny tiny message between screenshots:

*ENHANCE*

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats hidden folks

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats hidden folks

Not much, what’s hidden with you?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats hidden folks

It's a really charming hand-drawn game where you have to find tiny individuals based on clues and lots of searching. It's a hidden object game, but not shovelware like most hidden object games. Has a lot in common with Where's Waldo/Wally

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats hidden folks
Where's Waldo but in black and white. Basically something a psychopath would come up with.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

mandatory lesbian posted:

i just wanna know if he's still from brooklyn

All Mario games are canon and can exist in the same timeline, you just need to realize that there's more than one Mario.

The first Mario was born and raised in Brooklyn and took on multiple blue collar jobs and one very ill-advised stint into ape-taming before starting a plumbing company with his younger brother. They're the ones who found a warp pipe in the NYC sewers and ended up in another universe. Everything up to Super Mario World followed that Mario, and he eventually retired to a castle in Sarasaland, with a nice view of the giant statue he had made of himself. Mario Land 2 is set decades after most of his adventures.

His twin sons, also named Mario and Luigi, were delivered by the stork at some point between SMW and ML2, and these are the brothers we've been following for most of the series. Unlike his father, Mario Jr. is on good terms with most of his villains, and doesn't think anything of inviting them over for a friendly game of tennis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imagine playing a Pokemon game after the absolute GOATs Gold and Silver

Yikes

As someone who started with Gold and Silver in prime nostalgia years, they really have aged poorly even by Pokemon standards. The Pokemon level distribution is just completely out of whack and finding level-appropriate endgame opponents get XP against is hard.

.TakaM posted:

yeah, ironically enough I think the pokemon series has been way too resistant to evolving, even with the 3DS games they showed how reluctant they were to finally move on from grid based movement.
Gamefreak has made comment about how BOTW has inspired them to shake up the series and I hope that turns out to be the case, I would love Pokemon to go in a more open world direction.
I still like the turn based battles, but I find the way you progress through the world and single player story to be pretty boring. There's so much they could do to really change things, and if they're not gonna make any big changes I would at least like them to include a harder difficulty option so I had to actually think and pay attention during battles

The turn-based battles are not a problem, we've seen how many JRPGs have tried to 'move on from' turn-based combat and they always suck bad or turn into Diablo style mindless clicking. The core combat really isn't the issue so long as its presentation is good and isn't slowed down by constant weather reminders and whatever, but the storyline being over-easy and anime in a bad dull way, and the world being a pain to navigate. Sun/Moon did improve a fair bit on those, especially the storyline (Team Skull 4life) but I think they're overdue for a major shake-up.

I'm not going to bedgrudge the Let's Go games as designed to wean casuals and Pokemon Go players on the mainline series, but I don't feel the need to play them either.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

:yeshaha:

Also Hidden Folks sounds both adorable and fun

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah, even the most traditional turn based RPGs have never had any trouble playing around with the narrative structure, I don't understand why game freak is so adverse to mixing things up in this huge universe they have already established.

Even dragon quest changes plot structure enough to keep things fun even if the combat is nearly the same as it was in the NES. DQV was especially fun with it's whole family generations thing

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so is dark souls on switch good or riddled with bugs?

i've got a bunch of eshop money to burn and could play through it again pretty happily, it's been a few years since i touched it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

alf_pogs posted:

i've got a bunch of eshop money to burn and could play through it again pretty happily, it's been a few years since i touched it.

The sound is a bit tinny (perfectly fine over the tablet speakers, not so hot on a TV/headphones) and it's a mostly steady 30fps with the occasional dip. No bugs that I've run into, I'd say it runs a bit smoother than the original PS3/360 release

It's perfectly fine and a really fun way to re-experience the game. I'm having a kick playing the game on a tiny screen while chilling in the couch etc

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alf_pogs posted:

good

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

KingSlime posted:

The sound is a bit tinny (perfectly fine over the tablet speakers, not so hot on a TV/headphones) and it's a mostly steady 30fps with the occasional dip. No bugs that I've run into, I'd say it runs a bit smoother than the original PS3/360 release

It's perfectly fine and a really fun way to re-experience the game. I'm having a kick playing the game on a tiny screen while chilling in the couch etc

cool, thanks! i shall partake

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I dont think the Pokemon formula needs that bad of a shake up but something like being able to do gyms in any order you want would be neat. No more plot walls to certain areas, etc.

Level scaling in all areas (trainers/wild encounters) depending on the Pokemon you're carrying.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Harlock posted:

I dont think the Pokemon formula needs that bad of a shake up but something like being able to do gyms in any order you want would be neat. No more plot walls to certain areas, etc.

Level scaling in all areas (trainers/wild encounters) depending on the Pokemon you're carrying.
that would be cool

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Achmed Jones posted:

This made me laugh harder than I'd like to admit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC there was actually a bit of that back in Gen 1, I remember possibly accidentally beating the mid-game gym leaders out of order.

Scaling in Pokemon sounds tricky given how bringing low-level Pokemon up to speed traditionally works.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm apparently unable to comprehend the modern definition of what spoilers are.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I'm apparently unable to comprehend the modern definition of what spoilers are.

Its too late, spoilers have become a catch all for "knowing anything more than I want to know before experiencing a thing" even if in their original form they were a nice courtesy. It's absolutely thrilling when people consider actual ads for a product to be spoilers.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

More dark souls notes:

Darkroot garden is so cool. This whole game just feels like the perfect DnD campaign. I also loved the sallow onion headed knight sitting outside of the gate. I noticed there was a little river underneath the bridge he was on. This game has a lot of beautiful detail. I don’t care if it looks a little bit dated, the art direction is top notch.

E: that Geiger demon guarding the garden is cool but I won’t touch him yet.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
You should touch the demon. He’s right next to the bonfire!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dark Souls portable is the coolest thing ever, me and a guy in work have been playing it at lunch this week and we love it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My wife never paid much attention to Dark Souls when I'd play it (and she enjoys videogame), but she always hated that the cancel (or maybe it was confirm?) sound sounded like a distant, ethereal, metallic burp.

"Baby... baby, Dark Souls is about more than robot indigestion, please try to understand..."

Ninja edit: I meant 'video games', but I don't want to change it because rereading it made me laugh. :shobon:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I keep buying plastic spaceships because I think they look cool.

The Nadir does have a pretty rad asymmetrical design and a ton of purple missiles.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nah, it’s poo poo compared to every other dpad Nintendo has ever released except the GameCube one.
I almost 1CC'd Ikaruga on that thing :v:

DLC Inc posted:

Would Diablo scratch a multiplayer Gauntlet Legends (arcade/N64) itch? I vaguely recall reading about a mode where stuff is all unlocked and you just kill poo poo.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I think that's exactly what it's going for, except also with the loot/numbers-going-up aspect added to the mix

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
For those playing Diablo 3 for the first time, I'm not sure I could even recommend playing the story through it's so dull. Maybe once, but never again.

They saved the whole game by adding the bounties and rifts systems.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Someone please keep me from buying Dark Souls 1 the third time.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

tuo posted:

Do you really want to fight Bed of Chaos again?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Kinda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuo posted:

Buy it, playing it on the go is amazing