Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wait, so now we hate Dan Carlin now too? :colbert:

(I should point out that I've only listed to like almost 2 episodes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Someone else put it better but his stuff is really horrible from a histography perspective and if you are interested in actually learning the material there are much better podcasts where people put in actual research work and are still entertaining.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

I don't know what is the best but I can say that the worst is Radiolab

I want to find whoever thought "let's have 3 people alternate every 5 words independent of sentence structure" was a good baseline format for a podcast and beat them with a rubber hose

:same:

Mr Interweb posted:

He's kind of entertaining and if you've never had any exposure to history at all I guess you could find worse introductions, but lord don't mistake him for any sort of reliable source.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

dude loves getting concussions

I never managed a concussion when I tried it but it was a pretty good way to trigger a migraine.

Dec 26, 2012

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

history of england

also tides of history

yeah tides of history (and the fall of rome by the same guy) is really good

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
WELP
E
L
P

https://twitter.com/MW_Unrest/status/1055245822546317317
https://twitter.com/IceColdLyfe/status/1055214924069326848

staticman has issued a correction as of 07:02 on Oct 25, 2018

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/TomMcIlroy/status/1055320379399405568

https://twitter.com/TomMcIlroy/status/1055323069613432832

:thunk:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

So did the shooter say that or was it a bystander who said it, the tweets are conflicting.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

So did the shooter say that or was it a bystander who said it, the tweets are conflicting.

sounds like a bystander said it, in some sort of attempt at stopping the shooting via "you wouldn't kill your own people would you?"

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

The former. Twitter's just being Twitter and looking for their 'stank maymays'

e: also the mythical 'good guy with a gun' let the shooter run off instead of heroically taking down the bad guy and saving the day like they always say they're totally gonna.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Dan Carlin makes for good work listening and for that I can't fault him. I tried listening to one of the drier history podcasts and it just didn't work. For a guy to be enthusiastically like "This is like Mohammed Ali", though, for every other subject, right up my alley.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I've listened a bit to Dan Carlin but I prefer Mike Duncan's podcasts.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

history of england

also tides of history

Tides of history is really loving good and he really breaks down the drier stuff with slice of life stuff

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I’d suggest the BBC History Extra podcast. Mostly interviews with authors who have books coming out (or who have articles in this month’s issue of BBC History magazine). Popular bookshop books, not academic monographs, and with an engagingly wide and eclectic (if somewhat IUK-centric) range of topics.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

This dudes dad was the good guy with the gun and he let the bad guy with a gun go ???

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Epic High Five posted:

I don't know what is the best but I can say that the worst is Radiolab

I want to find whoever thought "let's have 3 people alternate every 5 words independent of sentence structure" was a good baseline format for a podcast and beat them with a rubber hose

The radiolab about when the asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs is fuckin rad as hell hth

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

This dudes dad was the good guy with the gun and he let the bad guy with a gun go ???

Whites don’t shoot whites

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Wait, the shooter's own dad was the "good guy with the gun"? I mean .... that seems like a pretty good explanation for why he let the "bad guy" go, if the alternative was to shoot his own kid. Most people would have trouble doing that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pookel posted:

Wait, the shooter's own dad was the "good guy with the gun"? I mean .... that seems like a pretty good explanation for why he let the "bad guy" go, if the alternative was to shoot his own kid. Most people would have trouble doing that.

Who the hell can pass up a 'I brought you into this world and I'll take you out of it'!!?!?!?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Wait is was the dude dad who said whites don't shoot whites. No wonder he became a mass shooter

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

yeah it looks like that army doc was from last year

the leaked chats the beast is referring to about anticom are here: https://unicornriot.ninja/2017/discord-logs-show-neo-nazi-agenda-behind-anti-communist-action/

they seemed like would-be school shooters more than anything, and i don't think this particular group is around anymore

anticom was at the juggalo march last year, saw em on my way out. i pointed some antifascists that way, i can only hope they scared em off :allears:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Wait is was the dude dad who said whites don't shoot whites. No wonder he became a mass shooter

white folks convince themselves of all sorts of bullshit about white honor and honesty or whatever, because they’re too cloistered to be victims of petty crime by other whites. being ripped off every day through white collar crime and grifting just gets abstracted through corporations.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'll cop to enjoying Dan Carlin, but ever since his Eastern Front series, I kinda knew he was mostly full of goofy ideological garbage that's standard to his generation.

Still is some fun stuff to listen to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

white folks convince themselves of all sorts of bullshit about white honor and honesty or whatever, because they’re too cloistered to be victims of petty crime by other whites. being ripped off every day through white collar crime and grifting just gets abstracted through corporations.

Michael Moore was completely right in that good chances are everyone who's ever hosed you over in life has been white

Maybe not counting Obama but you can bet on 90% of the enabling middlemen

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

hire! more! black! grifters!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

pookel posted:

KomradeX posted:

The good guy wuth the gun was the interviewee's dad. The good guy with a gun and the bad guy with a gun had a conversation during which one of them said "whites don't shoot whites" to the other. The good guy with a gun then let the bad guy with a gun leave.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

no, the guy wasn't the shooter's dad. And it's really confusing because of how the dude being interviewed puts it, but I'm pretty sure he's saying the shooter said "whites dont kill whites" after the interviewee's dad said "i wont shoot you if you dont shoot me"

he wasnt even the only guy with a gun there, another person shot at the shooter from the parking lot and missed

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

no, the guy wasn't the shooter's dad. And it's really confusing because of how the dude being interviewed puts it, but I'm pretty sure he's saying the shooter said "whites dont kill whites" after the interviewee's dad said "i wont shoot you if you dont shoot me"

he wasnt even the only guy with a gun there, another person shot at the shooter from the parking lot and missed

Ahh okay that's only slightly less horrific

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Just found this article that lays it out: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/crime/2018/10/25/louisville-kroger-shooting-suspect-whites-dont-shoot-whites/1759947002/

quote:

Ed Harrell was waiting on his wife in the parking lot when he heard gunshots, grabbed his revolver and crouched down next to his car. As he saw the gunman walk “nonchalantly” through the parking lot with a gun by his side, he called out to ask what was going on.

The gunman replied: "Don’t shoot me. I won't shoot you. Whites don’t shoot whites."

Harrell wasn’t sure what to do, but said as the gunman moved a little, he dove behind a car and watched as the shooter got in a vehicle and drove off.

EDIT: yeah, found his facebook. He's a trump fan and shared several right-wing petitions.
https://www.facebook.com/gregory.bush.948

Bullfrog has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Oct 25, 2018

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Dan Carlin is good for the drama of war. He is really into "what would I do if i were there" which makes for pretty standard History Channel Dad narratives about politics, but pretty good actual drama when it comes to horrific poo poo like the western front of WWI and the eastern front of WWII. Both of his series on these weren't rigorous, but they presented the stories in a entertaining, dramatic fashion.

Dan Carlin is good at ghost stories. Listen to him on long dark drives through the rain.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bullfrog posted:

Just found this article that lays it out: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/crime/2018/10/25/louisville-kroger-shooting-suspect-whites-dont-shoot-whites/1759947002/

EDIT: yeah, found his facebook. He's a trump fan and shared several right-wing petitions.
https://www.facebook.com/gregory.bush.948

Looks like every Fat Kentucky Dad ever.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

KomradeX posted:

Ahh okay that's only slightly less horrific

it's still pretty horrific with all those unkilled whites walking around

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can't believe the bomber would just tweet it out like this