Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

get that OUT of my face posted:

when it comes to america there are lots of brazilians in boston and newark, but those are filled with massholes and tony soprano wannabes, respectively

also Deerfield Beach, but you'll be in Florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

when it comes to america there are lots of brazilians in boston and newark, but those are filled with massholes and tony soprano wannabes, respectively

GalacticAcid posted:

Also providence, and a modestly sized but definitely viable community in Astoria Queens, and I have heard there’s a lot of Brazilians in Mineola Long Island, tho I haven’t confirmed this

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

also Deerfield Beach, but you'll be in Florida

Why the gently caress would anyone want to hang out with brazilians outside Brazil lmao

They're the worst

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

somehow have met two separate bolsonaro supporting brazilians in one week, both people i wouldnt really expect. made me think of this essay

https://harpers.org/archive/1941/08/who-goes-nazi/

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kunster posted:

I'm glad that I can go on twitter and see libs poo poo out posts about harassing drive thru workers on whenenver or not they vote or comics where Hllary Clinton is a lifeboat and everyone was just too entitled to enter it. And then head to the serious brain reasonable for adults who have good brains newspaper in Portugal, where reasonable adults tell the Brazilian public to not vote for the sake of electoral sanity. Oh, and that if he wins, it's actually bc the left willed him into existence.

Jesus Christ.
I wouldn't call Cristas a person wih a serious, reasonable brain.

Ras Het posted:

What's the least bad Portuguese media company? I try to keep up on the news and practise my Portuguese, but I don't want tabloid brain poisoning

The best is Publico, which just published that rubish article peace lmao.

We call old people a grey plague and as soon as the tourism bubble break this poo poo hole will become a barren desert so enjoy it while you can

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

We call old people a grey plague and as soon as the tourism bubble break this poo poo hole will become a barren desert so enjoy it while you can

I was in Portugal earlier this year and the amount of old people walking around is just insane

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

nerdz posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone want to hang out with brazilians outside Brazil lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/kadhimshubber/status/1055563009563807749

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I know a few brazilians in paris, they're pretty cool

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I actually wanted to visit Brazil next year since the country seems neat.

spivak
May 19, 2010
I really loved Portugal. Thought of trying to pursue a career there, even though the salary is considerably less than most of Western Europe in my field.

I don't know. In the end I really love Brazil so much. Not in a dumb jingoistic way. I just love to play our music and dance our dances and speak our Portuguese. Why is everyone so loving dumb?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

I actually wanted to visit Brazil next year since the country seems neat.

Visiting MIGHT be fine, but moving to Brazil s pretty much the worst idea ever unless you're in Venezuela or Syria or...

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

nerdz posted:

I was in Portugal earlier this year and the amount of old people walking around is just insane

Stop stalking retirement homes.

The best news organization in portugal is the Avante! newspaper,get in on that poo poo.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Negrostrike posted:

Visiting MIGHT be fine, but moving to Brazil s pretty much the worst idea ever unless you're in Venezuela or Syria or...

You're better off staying in both countries.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I heard from a client (a "startup entrepreneur") that we live in a communist dictatorship. Because of CLT (basic workers right)

He is 100% Bolsonaro, of course

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I work with a nonprofit in the US and we've been discussing the possibility of a work visa for me for a long time, before Trump. Now they're trying to hook me up with some of our european connections to see if I can move there instead because both of our countries are absolute poo poo

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You're better off staying in both countries.

I'm not eating from garbage bins or getting blown up. Yet. But you know, things can get upside down real quick (they will).

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

just passing by to drop a preemptive Ciro Would Have Won

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i live in south florida and have seen three bolsonaro bumper stickers

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
here's your average Brazilian living in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ6WY5RDdhU

Unless they're there for college or employment, as a rule of thumb they're insufferable. Multiply by ten if they live in Florida with the money they make in Brazil.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
When the Bernie Revolution comes, do us a favor and guillotine the Miami Brazilians.

They are the absolute scum of the earth

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Not only is a huge chunk of Brazilians living abroad extremely reactionary, even the namely "liberal" ones are generally bad.

I've mentioned it this several times in the Latin American thread in D&D, but there's this subset of Brazilians who in the US root for democrats, get emotional talking about Obama, post quotes of MLK who, when it comes to Brazilian politics, are extremely reactionary. It's the "Manhattan Connection" crowd. The epitome of that are journalists like Lucia Guimaraes, who will tweet about how horrendous the police brutality in the US is, while at the same time frequently defending Alckmin and the Sao Paulo police.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

joepinetree posted:

Not only is a huge chunk of Brazilians living abroad extremely reactionary, even the namely "liberal" ones are generally bad.

I've mentioned it this several times in the Latin American thread in D&D, but there's this subset of Brazilians who in the US root for democrats, get emotional talking about Obama, post quotes of MLK who, when it comes to Brazilian politics, are extremely reactionary. It's the "Manhattan Connection" crowd. The epitome of that are journalists like Lucia Guimaraes, who will tweet about how horrendous the police brutality in the US is, while at the same time frequently defending Alckmin and the Sao Paulo police.

this is true for a lot of latin americans living in the United States. A peruvian friend of mine is an extreme Obama loving normie dem, but supported fujimori against humala

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hello Ketene posted:

just passing by to drop a preemptive Ciro Would Have Won

He would if he played nice with Lula instead of letting his towering ego take over.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Mans posted:

I was making a really dumb riff about magazines like Visão and news networks like SIC making here a big deal on how they're the stop gap for serious minded people and how CDS policies are treated by them save for when they go against PSD, when she and her party are suddenly weird and insane.

During Socrates time, I remember riffing with a PuertoRican friend that we were Europe's Florida. Hearing the government led by the likes of Crista honestly suggest that as a feature should tell you everything.

Also she invited Santana Lopes to join in (Portuguese JEB!).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh Mark Ames did a RWN with the Brasilwire guy. I want to hear it later.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JillLanglois/status/1055837702279573506?s=19

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

nerdz posted:

They're the worst

Theres so many awful bougie brazilians at disney world they pay guys in team brazil jerseys to scream at them for cutting in line and harassing the park employees

its to the point where the word brazilian is considered a slur but any employee will happily tell you how to best avoid the "tour groups"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

Theres so many awful bougie brazilians at disney world they pay guys in team brazil jerseys to scream at them for cutting in line and harassing the park employees

its to the point where the word brazilian is considered a slur but any employee will happily tell you how to best avoid the "tour groups"

Lmao i remember being insanely embarassed when I went to disney 4 years ago and seeing those dipshits in yellow and green with selfie sticks being assholes everywhere

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Bro Dad posted:

lol this owns

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The Bolsonaro bots are out in such numbers that they are commenting on any news that includes the mention to bolso (which is a Bolsonaro nickname and also the word for pocket) and bolovo (a "egg cake"):

https://jornalggn.com.br/noticia/folha-publica-materias-com-bolovo-e-bolso-e-expoe-os-robos-de-bolsonaro-na-internet

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

The escalation to fascism/military government is moving very fast.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:tif:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Acab

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
so this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWWRsUPJ0ME

and now bolsonaro say he was doing illicit electoral propaganda on his shows, bought by PT

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lmao

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

lmao

Vídeo em que crianças repetem frases de Bolsonaro é considerado apologia ao crime pela Justiça

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT59GMWXiVM

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

nerdz posted:

here's your average Brazilian living in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ6WY5RDdhU

Unless they're there for college or employment, as a rule of thumb they're insufferable. Multiply by ten if they live in Florida with the money they make in Brazil.

i made a brazilian friend in some college classes on Latin American history, very briefly, because we got to talking when we got together and it turned out his dad was the former mayor of curitiba or something, and associated with a pseudo-fascist party I wanna say had a parrot in the logo. he went on at some length about how southern brazil isn't like the rest of the country, its safe and very white and you don't have to deal with poor people or gross favelas, and welfare, communism, and cultural liberalism were all bad but military rule wasn't so horrible because sometimes you just need a strong leader. he was an absolute garbage person

anyway, that is the only brazilian I've ever known

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Frog Act posted:

i made a brazilian friend in some college classes on Latin American history, very briefly, because we got to talking when we got together and it turned out his dad was the former mayor of curitiba or something, and associated with a pseudo-fascist party I wanna say had a parrot in the logo. he went on at some length about how southern brazil isn't like the rest of the country, its safe and very white and you don't have to deal with poor people or gross favelas, and welfare, communism, and cultural liberalism were all bad but military rule wasn't so horrible because sometimes you just need a strong leader. he was an absolute garbage person

I guess that was the son of former Curitiba mayor and current dipshit governor of Paraná Beto Richa since the only party with a bird on the logo is the... PSDB, who were supposed to be Social Democrats, and are center-right pseudo neolibs now lmfao

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Frog Act posted:

Did he complain about corruption? Because his dad and his uncle got arrested last month, accused of embezzling over 20 million from public works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

I guess that was the son of former Curitiba mayor and current dipshit governor of Paraná Beto Richa since the only party with a bird on the logo is the... PSDB, who were supposed to be Social Democrats, and are center-right pseudo neolibs now lmfao

Magrov posted:

Did he complain about corruption? Because his dad and his uncle got arrested last month, accused of embezzling over 20 million from public works.

this was awhile ago now, back in undergrad in like 2012, and I don't remember much except how disgusted I was with his politics after we argued a little bit about stuff like whether deposing Arbenz / Allende / etc was justified. also once something about racism not being a problem because there aren't black people like there are here in the south