Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t want you to be banned, I just want a less hostile thread/section/ about stupid comic book movies.

Well, there's always the BSS thread if you're looking for alternatives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d rather this forum be better and less hostile thanks.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CPL593H posted:

Just a reminder that the name "DNS" was a reference to Quentin Tarantino's famously cringey line in Pulp Fiction. And when we still had that IRC channel I popped in once and he immediately called me a human being and an autistic pussy. He was easily in the top three worst posters to come out of here.

Even before learning about this I remember that guy as being the loving worst and one of like 4 people I put on ignore over the last ten years, glad to see that confirmed.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I walked out on the heels of an argument about minority representation where ruddiger did an "actually I understand queer representation better than you, a GENDER UNDEFINED SEXUALITY UNDEFINED poster, because I work with a trans"

So

You tell me

That's not what I said, and you're doing the classic goons taking the most bad faith "that's how I remember it" bullshit possible. I wanted recommendations on other trans actors because I'm not that well versed in that area of film (there's no shame in admitting ignorance of a subject or field if you're not familiar with it), you couldn't even name the one that you claimed to be a fan of. Other goons soon came in and offered legit examples of LGBTQ films and trans actors working in the field. You got angry and didn't contribute much other than your stock vile rhetoric.

It's funny that you try to get goons to be introspective yet don't take the time to do it for yourself. Some of you take these personal goon grudges too far. I just saw some idiot making up stories about me in QCS (why I wandered in there was against my better judgement). If you're talking about goons behind their back in other forums/websites, maybe it's time to take a step back and do a little introspecting yourself.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 25, 2018

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

CelticPredator posted:

Also you guys have a discord don’t you

?

Theres a horror one and a cined genchat one

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t want you to be banned, I just want a less hostile thread/section/ about stupid comic book movies.

That's definitely fair but one of the reasons I get defensive about "CD are all weird contrarians" or "Snyder fans are a hive mind" style posts are how quickly it can spiral from just honest complaints about behavior that can be adjusted to "shut down this thread and ban everyone inside".

Like from my perspective I found it kind of hostile coming upon this accusation in a thread I rarely frequent when a lot of this could have been addressed in the thread it happened in or in PMs. If I hadn't happened to click this thread yesterday (since I usually only do once every few weeks) I would have basically been clueless that you had posted that and not really had an opportunity to defend myself.

This is a two way street, we are both CD posters and your actions can also have a negative impact on the atmosphere of this forum.

CelticPredator posted:

Also you guys have a discord don’t you

I assume this is a reference to people coming in here all at the same time? I don't know of any discord, I know it's a huge coincide but I honestly did just click on this thread yesterday by sheer dumb luck. Like I said, probably my Snyder-sense tingling haha

*edited for grammar

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 25, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

I actually do like Zack Snyder! That’s the weird part. I just hate his DC movies, and have been waiting for him to get off that train for a while.

Hey, I'm right there with you on that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

And it caused a lot of fights because the posters who left were never specific, it was just this kind of “well, if you don’t know, I guess there’s no hope for you” thing that wasn’t helpful to anyone

I somehow missed this entirely but the notion that CD is hostile to queers is so weird to me considering like 90% of us Are queer

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

precision posted:

Hey, I'm right there with you on that.

It's funny because I am literally the inverse of that. I don't hate his non-DC movies but those are the only ones I am a huge fan of, have no real interest in revisiting his earlier stuff.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

precision posted:

I somehow missed this entirely but the notion that CD is hostile to queers is so weird to me considering like 90% of us Are queer

They were saying, specifically, that CineD is hostile to trans people and women.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-Ray Pecs posted:

They were saying, specifically, that CineD is hostile to trans people and women.

Ah, fair enough. The post I saw said "LGBTQ".

Still, I always thought CD loved trans people. And goons largely seem protective of women in a way that I find kind of creepy but not hostile.

Why is it so hard for people to just be cool and respectful of everyone :(

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought it was also because of all the weird toxic aggression, because I mean yeah.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

That's not what I said, and you're doing the classic goons taking the most bad faith "that's how I remember it" bullshit possible. I wanted recommendations on other trans actors because I'm not that well versed in that area of film (there's no shame in admitting ignorance of a subject or field if you're not familiar with it), you couldn't even name the one that you claimed to be a fan of. Other goons soon came in and offered legit examples of LGBTQ films and trans actors working in the field. You got angry and didn't contribute much other than your stock vile rhetoric.

It's funny that you try to get goons to be introspective yet don't take the time to do it for yourself. Some of you take these personal goon grudges too far. I just saw some idiot making up stories about me in QCS (why I wandered in there was against my better judgement). If you're talking about goons behind their back in other forums/websites, maybe it's time to take a step back and do a little introspecting yourself.

It wasn't just me, and it isn't a hindsight thing. I told you that when it happened, other people have said the same thing, blow it out your rear end

Edit specifically I asked other people to make sure I wasn't just being an rear end in a top hat, because I know I can do that sometimes

Literally everyone went yeah going "I work on a show with a trans person and watch queer cinema check out this queer black movie I watched" is a my * friend in this context

I called you out on a dumb thing, and your response was to try to deflect ant implication of prejudice through your association with marginalized people.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 25, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Less overtly hostile more just

Kinda dumb and toxic

I dont think there's any women posting here anymore and only one non-cis person besides me

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

precision posted:

Ah, fair enough. The post I saw said "LGBTQ".

Still, I always thought CD loved trans people. And goons largely seem protective of women in a way that I find kind of creepy but not hostile.

Why is it so hard for people to just be cool and respectful of everyone :(

I’m basing my statement off of the fact that women and trans people have told us that they don’t feel comfortable posting here, and because, as Dickeye just stated, the number of female and trans members has dwindled significantly. I think most CineDers do mean well, but we’re still in an environment where masculinity reigns and sometimes we lose sight of that, as some thread will spontaneously go into its ten billionth derail about how hot a certain actress is or something.

How the problem was caused, I don’t know - maybe it’s vestigial from being on a forum that used to mock women for being infertile or afraid of being raped, or maybe it’s something new inherent to this community. I’m a white cishet man myself, so I’ll never fully understand, but based on what I do know, I feel pretty confident knowing that the best solution we have is to believe female and LGBTQ members when they say they don’t feel welcome here, and actually like, ask them what’s up? There are some things I’ve had to confront about my own behavior as a result too.

It’s hard for people to just be cool and respectful of everyone because most of us were raised in environments that didn’t have that in mind. There’s some reprogramming to be done.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
As someone who loves the comic book and star wars threads, they are a necessary evil - we have to post about them somewhere, keep the internet stranger danger grudges localized.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I swear I used to like Star Wars but internet discourse about it has totally soured me on the property.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blood Boils posted:

As someone who loves the comic book and star wars threads, they are a necessary evil - we have to post about them somewhere, keep the internet stranger danger grudges localized.

Again, there's a bss thread for comic book movies

Live in that cesspit

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I dont think there's any women posting here anymore and only one non-cis person besides me

I can think of 2 women and 3 non-cis people off the top of my head.

Edit: if you include me and yourself, 5 non-cis people

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s hard for even just a regular person to not be a little sick of the SW franchise with all the controversy and whining over TLJ but yeah it was especially bad for me as someone who thought it was an amazing movie that made my heart soar and then trying to read about it was a loving nightmare cos it was all about how loving bitches ruin everything and Luke is a cuck now and the series is doomed to failure and JEEEEEEEEEESUS

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

I can think of 2 women and 3 non-cis people off the top of my head.

Edit: if you include me and yourself, 5 non-cis people

In this thread, actively posting? drat

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And I'm genderfluid, unless you only meant "born biologically female" but I know you're woke enough to not have meant that

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also I personally think the prequels are bad, and some people think they were good, and that's ok, but it's really exhausting how some people feel the need to re-litigate the issue every few months. Those movies came out ages ago, no one's gonna change their mind now.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I swear I used to like Star Wars but internet discourse about it has totally soured me on the property.

Same, except instead of internet discourse it was Ep 7 that killed it for me. Ep 8 was just the official burial ceremony.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

And I'm genderfluid, unless you only meant "born biologically female" but I know you're woke enough to not have meant that

Good pass agg snipe ten out of ten

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I think it’s hard for even just a regular person to not be a little sick of the SW franchise with all the controversy and whining over TLJ but yeah it was especially bad for me as someone who thought it was an amazing movie that made my heart soar and then trying to read about it was a loving nightmare cos it was all about how loving bitches ruin everything and Luke is a cuck now and the series is doomed to failure and JEEEEEEEEEESUS

I'm not sick of Star Wars and I think it's in large part because the only online discussion or criticism of it I pay even a little attention to is Jenny Nicholson videos

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Good pass agg snipe ten out of ten

I legitimately was not trying to be passive aggressive to you, my dude.

Not everyone hates you :)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

I legitimately was not trying to be passive aggressive to you, my dude.

Not everyone hates you :)

Mea culpa

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

:wave: non-bi girly-man with trans-women partner checking in.

Not that I post worth a drat, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I'm not sick of Star Wars and I think it's in large part because the only online discussion or criticism of it I pay even a little attention to is Jenny Nicholson videos

This is smart

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Also I personally think the prequels are bad, and some people think they were good, and that's ok, but it's really exhausting how some people feel the need to re-litigate the issue every few months. Those movies came out ages ago, no one's gonna change their mind now.

Logically I know that there's no accounting for taste and every opinion is valid but "the prequels are good" is something I just can't wrap my head around. It's as baffling to me as people who think Slipknot is good.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

precision posted:

It's as baffling to me as people who think Slipknot is good.

Kurosawa is the mushroomhead of film

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

Logically I know that there's no accounting for taste and every opinion is valid but "the prequels are good" is something I just can't wrap my head around. It's as baffling to me as people who think Slipknot is good.

I mean, same, but I got sick of that conversation like... 8 years ago? More?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Escobarbarian posted:

And it caused a lot of fights because the posters who left were never specific, it was just this kind of “well, if you don’t know, I guess there’s no hope for you” thing that wasn’t helpful to anyone

I said it then though that if she had named names or cited specific examples then people would react like "well, that's not me I'm not like them" and maybe the point is that we should all think before we post and consider how we're coming off and how we're responding to people. Like, it's even easier online than it is in real life because you have to type out what you're saying and could actually, y'know, read what you wrote before you hit Submit Reply. If Jenny gave a list of names that offended her, or specific posts that stand out, it would have been a perfect way for everyone to divorce from their own role in creating a toxic culture.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

In an ideal world I would think about Star Wars for about a week before and after the release of a new movie, and never at any other time.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

precision posted:

The bold is incorrect. As a filthy prequel-liker, this is why I think the star wars thread is necessary (there doesn't need to be 2, that is ridiculous). I need a place to defend the honor of my "bad" taste! I mean, better in there than in here, right?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Again, there's a bss thread for comic book movies

Live in that cesspit

No way bss sucks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TrixRabbi posted:

I said it then though that if she had named names or cited specific examples then people would react like "well, that's not me I'm not like them" and maybe the point is that we should all think before we post and consider how we're coming off and how we're responding to people. Like, it's even easier online than it is in real life because you have to type out what you're saying and could actually, y'know, read what you wrote before you hit Submit Reply. If Jenny gave a list of names that offended her, or specific posts that stand out, it would have been a perfect way for everyone to divorce from their own role in creating a toxic culture.

Ding ding ding

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blood Boils posted:

The bold is incorrect. As a filthy prequel-liker, this is why I think the star wars thread is necessary (there doesn't need to be 2, that is ridiculous). I need a place to defend the honor of my "bad" taste! I mean, better in there than in here, right?

No way bss sucks

So does the comic movie thread

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

precision posted:

I remember liking one of their songs on one of the Resident Evil soundtracks, but I wouldn't go so far as to say Slipknot is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’ve been on a 90s industrial metal kick lately, I’m just waiting til the day I go “ah gently caress” and accidentally like a slipknot song

• Locked thread