Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alxprit posted:

You need to read some subtext, my friend. Rapha did not have a great life under that dude's watch.
iirc neither did Malak, isn't there some fairly strong implication that he was abused too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

iirc neither did Malak, isn't there some fairly strong implication that he was abused too

Yeah they both were.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Its a shame Tactics Ogre isnt available on android. FFT reintroduced me to the genre (the last SRPG I played was FFTA when I was still a kid).

WOTL is by far my one of my favorite FFs based on what Ive played (chapter 4).

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Just recruited Cid. I guess I beat the game. Chapter 4 feels like a victory lap so far.

The final chapter is pretty breezy outside anything with Balk, the final boss fight, and maybe one fight where you can get stuck in a Blood Suck failure loop if you walk into it. It's really not even that hard if you're coming in lean and low on abilities and levels, compared to what you just went through to finish up Chapters 2 and 3.

The parts that can be challenging are pretty invalidated by using your free superunit T.G. Cid though. Even if you don't use him, loading someone up with the Excalibur he's carrying ALSO pretty handily trivializes a lot of stuff.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
If you really love FFT like I do I recommend doing another playthrough down the road where you don't use Orlandeau. It's a lot more interesting when you can't just steamroll most of the final act.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Its a shame Tactics Ogre isnt available on android. FFT reintroduced me to the genre (the last SRPG I played was FFTA when I was still a kid).

WOTL is by far my one of my favorite FFs based on what Ive played (chapter 4).

the PSP emulator has a very good Android port

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Elephant Ambush posted:

If you really love FFT like I do I recommend doing another playthrough down the road where you don't use Orlandeau. It's a lot more interesting when you can't just steamroll most of the final act.

Yeah, I did a couple playthroughs where I only used generics. One run was all melee guys and one was all caster women. The all caster run was so broken, everyone teleporting everywhere and who cares if I killed half my team with meteor as long as I got the boss too.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

And on that playthrough you realize that by the time you recruit Orlandu, all 5 of your units that you've built up over the past 4 chapters are individually better than him. And FFT is never the same for you again.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I generally run the game with generics and Agrias. You get her early enough in the game and her skillset is simple and good.

Most of the chapter four recruits take too long to level like Meliadoul, have bad skillsets like the twins, or are a combination clown factory like Cloud.

Beowulf is cool though, but I never utilize status effects much in the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i would be super into a romhack/patch that replaces the wotl text with the fft translation, or something that adds all the content and fixes from wotl into fft

i also like to use the ffhacktics utility to give ramza's squire class blank slots for learning dark sword

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

gigglefeimer posted:

And on that playthrough you realize that by the time you recruit Orlandu, all 5 of your units that you've built up over the past 4 chapters are individually better than him. And FFT is never the same for you again.

Well yeah because you have all that hindsight knowledge so you can build a team of badasses with the occasional flex spot/person.

My most recent playthrough used an emulator on pc so I could plug it into my tv. A nice side effect of the emulator was abusing save states to make certain fights easier and to minimize reloads. It was really awesome and fun.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I generally run the game with generics and Agrias. You get her early enough in the game and her skillset is simple and good.

Most of the chapter four recruits take too long to level like Meliadoul, have bad skillsets like the twins, or are a combination clown factory like Cloud.

Beowulf’s arguably more broken then Orlandu, being a super-Oracle in a game where status magic is already super powerful and often one of the strongest things you can be doing. That said, you get Beowulf in the middle of a long missable sidequest fairly late in chapter 4, while Orlandu is just handed to you wrapped in a pretty Excalibur bow mid-story.

That said, the genetics being stronger by the time you get either still rings true. Draw out Wizards and Summons make even All Swordskill look like clown school rubbish.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 25, 2018

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Mustadio with all the Knight Break skills is another way to straight up break the very vast majority of story battles (which are 90% human). With those, he's Meliadoul but at max range and you get him in chapter 2. And then they went and added Balthier to WotL, who is the Orlandu version of Mustadio.

I'm sure it's been pointed out multiple times in this very long thread, but I'll give a strong recommendation to the LFT romhack, which does have a WotL translation patch if you want to put that on too. LFT is not one of those dumb hardmode things, it's a very good balance patch that makes every class useful, including monsters (which also means monsters are much more dangerous when you're fighting them). In terms of difficulty, I'm not sure it makes the entire game any harder in the end, but it makes the initial climb a bit steeper, just because the random encounters are so much more dangerous. But they give everyone innate Gain JP Up and lowered the JP costs of just about everything.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

OzFactor posted:

I'm sure it's been pointed out multiple times in this very long thread, but I'll give a strong recommendation to the LFT romhack, which does have a WotL translation patch if you want to put that on too. LFT is not one of those dumb hardmode things, it's a very good balance patch that makes every class useful, including monsters (which also means monsters are much more dangerous when you're fighting them). In terms of difficulty, I'm not sure it makes the entire game any harder in the end, but it makes the initial climb a bit steeper, just because the random encounters are so much more dangerous. But they give everyone innate Gain JP Up and lowered the JP costs of just about everything.

I worked on the team for this and I'm glad it's still making the rounds years later. The basic idea was to make it so there are no trap options - you can use/build what you think is cool and it'll work, including monsters (and without spending years of your life to do so). Also there's more enemy formation variety so it's not all knights all the time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

also ramza can't learn ultima in riovanes rooftop because the skill slot doesn't open until you complete chapter 3 :eng99:

He can't, but a character that was added in WotL can, and they can then cast it on Ramza so he can learn it. :eng101:

OTOH Ultima's extremely underwhelming.

Trasson posted:

small problem there.

The Masamune is overrated anyway. Regen sucks, a Time Mage on a well built team can hand out Haste just as easily, and the Haste spell doesn't confer a 15% chance of never being able to cast it again.

Oh, whoops. Thought he had Masamune there for some reason.

WaltherFeng posted:

Just recruited Cid. I guess I beat the game. Chapter 4 feels like a victory lap so far.

Beowulf's even better but he takes a little bit of grind to become a monster, unlike Orlandu who is just ready to murder poo poo right out the gate.

I really like how the two most powerful units in FFT are Olan and Orlandu. FFT takes Mary Sue characterization to the next level.

corn in the bible posted:

The only really challenging stuff in the last chapter is the bonus dungeon and the final boss fight (maybe)

lol no.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just beat FFT. Wow, what a game.

Story wasn't perfect but it was a wild ride. Its hard to imagine the game came out on PSX.

Probably gonna do a second playthrough since its easy to do on a mobile.

Enjoyed it a lot.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
That's because FFT is the least-worst game in the series.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
You know it doesn't stink because none of the characters have noses.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Chapter 8 before getting on the boat is my last chance to do open world stuff for a while in FFXV, right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Chapter 8 before getting on the boat is my last chance to do open world stuff for a while in FFXV, right?

No, there will be a way to go back even after the railroading starts.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Cool. The recommended levels are weird, as soon as status effects come into play things get harder, but at level 10 could paste level 30 iron giants with some patience and a few potions.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

NonzeroCircle posted:

Cool. The recommended levels are weird, as soon as status effects come into play things get harder, but at level 10 could paste level 30 iron giants with some patience and a few potions.

Granted this is basically The Final Fantasy Fifteen Experience.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's interesting to me that both X and X-2 often get brought up as having the best battle systems in the series.

They took a gamble changing X's gameplay for the first ever sequel but I guess it paid off. I think I've come to prefer X's gameplay though.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

It's interesting to me that both X and X-2 often get brought up as having the best battle systems in the series.

They took a gamble changing X's gameplay for the first ever sequel but I guess it paid off. I think I've come to prefer X's gameplay though.

X's combat is really well done, but it's far more encounter design and the specialization/design of character roles then anything else- it's basically just a dumbed-down version of Grandia's battle system with the battlefield movement stripped out and the turn order manipulation heavily downplayed.

X-2 is legitimately the best incarnation of the ATB system and a sign they might have shelved it forever maybe a game or two too soon if they're still ripping ideas that good out of it. X-2's combat has some other problems (class design being the big one- fights feel wildly unbalanced at times mostly because the power level of the party is so incredibly variable depending on what jobs they have access to on their grid) but the changes it made to ATB are inspired. It's a shame that the only ATB games we've gotten since are deliberate throwbacks (the DS remake of IV and World of Final Fantasy.) instead of anything looking to build on X-2's version

Barudak
May 7, 2007

13 is a direct evolution (and massive improvement) on X-2s combat system.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Barudak posted:

They don't change outfits in battle so I don't see how this can be true.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

X's combat is really well done, but it's far more encounter design and the specialization/design of character roles then anything else- it's basically just a dumbed-down version of Grandia's battle system with the battlefield movement stripped out and the turn order manipulation heavily downplayed.

X-2 is legitimately the best incarnation of the ATB system and a sign they might have shelved it forever maybe a game or two too soon if they're still ripping ideas that good out of it. X-2's combat has some other problems (class design being the big one- fights feel wildly unbalanced at times mostly because the power level of the party is so incredibly variable depending on what jobs they have access to on their grid) but the changes it made to ATB are inspired. It's a shame that the only ATB games we've gotten since are deliberate throwbacks (the DS remake of IV and World of Final Fantasy.) instead of anything looking to build on X-2's version

I've been trying to find a good new JRPG to sink my teeth into and Grandia was a candidate but then I learn they are coming out with a bundle remaster thing soon so that isn't happening, at least not yet.

Good to know people here approve of its battle system too, though. Comparing it to FFX is certainly high praise to me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

Definitely 13's biggest flaw

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That's why they made Lightning Returns

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

You know I was only thinking mechanically, but yeah this is an area where 13 took a step back from X-2.

World of Final Fantasy's battle system is like the blandest of the bland and I doubt Maxima will do much to fix it all. Curious if the protagonists will get a grid in it though which would help the game a lot.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

X-2's combat has some other problems (class design being the big one- fights feel wildly unbalanced at times mostly because the power level of the party is so incredibly variable depending on what jobs they have access to on their grid)
That's not a flaw, that's a feature imo. Each dressphere has its own specialty and the system encourages you to use what works best for each situation. Sure, the long term choices you make as far as dresspheres you invest in will impact the difficulty you experience in fights. That's more exciting than the more static FFs like 10. Then of course you get people who stick YRP into the same dressphere configuration for pretty much the whole game, essentially doing a self imposed challenge run, and welp lol

Barudak posted:

The move to AI control and high-level strategy over precise, fine control strategy is a huge downgrade.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gigglefeimer posted:

The move to AI control and high-level strategy over precise, fine control strategy is a huge downgrade.

What fine control? The only thing like that is timing your attacks to stun lock foes in X-2 and you can do that in 13 as well.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Barudak posted:

What fine control? The only thing like that is timing your attacks to stun lock foes in X-2 and you can do that in 13 as well.

You have a lot of control over the ATB, especially if you play on Wait mode. And you can influence enemies through stuns and the action queue. There's everything involved with chain attacks too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gigglefeimer posted:

You have a lot of control over the ATB, especially if you play on Wait mode. And you can influence enemies through stuns and the action queue. There's everything involved with chain attacks too.

So all things you can do in 13 except wait mode which has always been goofy as it basically says "no, I dont want to use the atb system"

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Barudak posted:

So all things you can do in 13 except wait mode which has always been goofy as it basically says "no, I dont want to use the atb system"

Those things aren't the same in 13 where your party is majority AI controlled.

And that's not what Wait mode is at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gigglefeimer posted:

Those things aren't the same in 13 where your party is majority AI controlled.

And that's not what Wait mode is at all.

I dont see how its any different to say "use attack command" and then waiting to optimize executing said attack at risk of taking damage in interim versus having the AI select attack and... then you waiting to optimize executing said attack at risk of taking damage in the interim.

Wait mode gives you more turns by making it so ATB gauges dont fill during animations, thus basically completely invalidating the entire concept of the ATB gauge and making it an extremely kludged turn based battle. Wait mode is an admission the ATB system is really bad if you have to do lots of menuing, which surprise, FF13 fixed.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Barudak posted:

I dont see how its any different to say "use attack command" and then waiting to optimize executing said attack at risk of taking damage in interim versus having the AI select attack and... then you waiting to optimize executing said attack at risk of taking damage in the interim.
AI will do whatever it does with no input from the player. In X-2 you can choose exactly what, how, and when.

Barudak posted:

Wait mode gives you more turns by making it so ATB gauges dont fill during animations, thus basically completely invalidating the entire concept of the ATB gauge and making it an extremely kludged turn based battle. Wait mode is an admission the ATB system is really bad if you have to do lots of menuing, which surprise, FF13 fixed.

In Wait mode, gauges don't fill when you're in the menu. It's a fine control on the ATB to do more than just going into the menu during animations.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
I guess what it comes down to is that if you're just playing the game without much care or trying to do anything specific then AI will pretty much do what you're trying to do anyway, just with fewer button presses on your part, which is fine. But if you're trying to go deeper than that, the differences are obvious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gigglefeimer posted:

AI will do whatever it does with no input from the player. In X-2 you can choose exactly what, how, and when.

If its selecting exactly what is optimal, down to mixing physical and magic based elemental attacks for chain damage bonus, how is there any difference? Selecting optimal thing from a menu is not fine control, its just system mastery.

quote:

In Wait mode, gauges don't fill when you're in the menu. It's a fine control on the ATB to do more than just going into the menu during animations.

Hence my point that youre calling "disable the ATB" fine control. Its a fundamental change to the battle system and how it operates and the games difficulty is not balanced against this. Its like saying using an editor to cheat extra health is fine control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Barudak posted:

If its selecting exactly what is optimal, down to mixing physical and magic based elemental attacks for chain damage bonus, how is there any difference? Selecting optimal thing from a menu is not fine control, its just system mastery.

Exactly, you're not trying to do anything more complicated so there's no difference for you.

Barudak posted:

Hence my point that youre calling "disable the ATB" fine control. Its a fundamental change to the battle system and how it operates and the games difficulty is not balanced against this. Its like saying using an editor to cheat extra health is fine control.

Of course fine control gives an advantage over having less control. That's so obvious it doesn't need to be said. Using a save editor for extra health is completely different though.