Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Cant use that law, doesn't fix everything!

Is there any other problem we apply this logic to?

Guns are a religion in this country with devoted, sometimes murderous, fanatics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

twodot posted:

What if the gun was safely secured with a simple trigger lock, and then someone removed the trigger lock? The idea that people ostensibly in favor of safe storage of guns also think that trigger locks are a remotely acceptable way to store a gun is really weird.

So, you're saying this law doesn't go far enough in ensuring guns are stored safely at home???

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

twodot posted:

What if the gun was safely secured with a simple trigger lock, and then someone removed the trigger lock? The idea that people ostensibly in favor of safe storage of guns also think that trigger locks are a remotely acceptable way to store a gun is really weird.

Yeah.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/shanedkavanaugh/status/1055489083911204864

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Why bother with some complicated and messy 'final solution' when you can just slash mental health care and have agents of the state murder undesirables?

And no I don't think that more guns in the hands of the mentally ill is the way to deter this. Get the guns out of everyone's hands, especially the cops.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

jesus christ

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

quote:

On Wednesday, May said an internal investigation found no wrongdoing by Cardenas and Davis

quote:

At one point, Graves pulled money from his pocket, said he was there to buy something to eat and tried to push past Cardenas out of the bathroom.
The officer pushed back, Heckert said, and Graves tried to get past Cardenas two more times grabbing him during the latter attempt. Cardenas hit Graves with the stun gun twice, but it had little effect.

Yes, he definitely deserved to be shot. The police did not escalate the situation whatsoever.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

So, you're saying this law doesn't go far enough in ensuring guns are stored safely at home???
Mostly I'm still at "Let's not criminalize totally law abiding people because the security system the state pushed them to use is trivial to bypass". If that's the best the initiative writers could come up with, they should have just stayed home.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

twodot posted:

Mostly I'm still at "Let's not criminalize totally law abiding people because the security system the state pushed them to use is trivial to bypass". If that's the best the initiative writers could come up with, they should have just stayed home.

More than likely the gun lobby got involved and tried to block the bill, when they couldnt they argued down its requirements etc.. then they argue it doesn't go far enough. The hypocrisy and lying is how they operate.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

If you are not comfortable getting prosecuted for letting people steal your murderstick, maybe you should secure your murderstick better.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Even better, don’t have a muderstick. It’s an easy (and safe!) thing not to have.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

pseudanonymous posted:

More than likely the gun lobby got involved and tried to block the bill, when they couldnt they argued down its requirements etc.. then they argue it doesn't go far enough. The hypocrisy and lying is how they operate.
It's a ballot initiative, how in the world would the gun lobby have any impact on the text? Like the NRA did sue to have the summary changed and to have ballot dismissed, but they can't actually write the text. Also the NRA is lobbying against it anyways so if the writers did think they had some sort of "Include lovely requirements and we won't oppose it" deal with the NRA that just makes them bigger idiots.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Thanatosian posted:

If you are not comfortable getting prosecuted for letting people steal your murderstick, maybe you should secure your murderstick better.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

I was burglarized and the shithead stole a machete among other things.. In your opinion I should possibly be a felon for being robbed of my "murdersteel".

If youre scared of guns just say "I am scared! Please ban all the things that scare me!" Your smug screeching about everything is loving dumb.

Its also comical that downtown-living person wants cars and guns banned, because "who would ever want either of those things?" You should be force-relocated to the woods for a few months.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

FRINGE posted:

I was burglarized and the shithead stole a machete among other things.. In your opinion I should possibly be a felon for being robbed of my "murdersteel".

If youre scared of guns just say "I am scared! Please ban all the things that scare me!" Your smug screeching about everything is loving dumb.

Its also comical that downtown-living person wants cars and guns banned, because "who would ever want either of those things?" You should be force-relocated to the woods for a few months.

ahh I love the smell of false equivalencies in the morning!

edit: lol totally forgot that people trot this poo poo out anytime a couple people get killed by someone with a knife in Japan or the UK. You guys are just shameless. Why not just ban all knives checkmate libs :smug:

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 25, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FRINGE posted:

Conflating tools which have uses other than murder with instruments specifically designed to kill people should be an autoban, imo. It's really loving annoying to have that fallacious comparison be brought up by idiots every time gun control is brought up.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I mean, if your best argument is that people shouldn't be criminalized for losing guns i'm not entirely sure that's an argument in favor of unfettered access.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Conflating tools which have uses other than murder with instruments specifically designed to kill people should be an autoban, imo. It's really loving annoying to have that fallacious comparison be brought up by idiots every time gun control is brought up.

Look man, if you're not willing to have a blanket law that puts "living in the woods" as the ultimate standard then I don't know what to tell you.

ahh I love the smell of false equivalencies in the morning!

edit: lol totally forgot that people trot this poo poo out anytime a couple people get killed by someone with a knife in Japan or the UK. You guys are just shameless. Why not just ban all knives checkmate libs :smug:

This guy I know tried to argue that the gun buy back in Australia was a failure because knife violence increased after guns were unavailable. It's like these people don't understand what the problem with guns is.

PS. Death is the problem.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

ElCondemn posted:

Look man, if you're not willing to have a blanket law that puts "living in the woods" as the ultimate standard then I don't know what to tell you.

This guy I know tried to argue that the gun buy back in Australia was a failure because knife violence increased after guns were unavailable. It's like these people don't understand what the problem with guns is.

PS. Death is the problem.

Why not just ban cancer if we're out here trying to save lives?!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I know I helped to start this derail but maybe we should contain the gun control thing in another thread

e: maybe this one

im on the net me boys fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 25, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The media's job is to amplify the voices of those in power https://twitter.com/GregoryMcKelvey/status/1055276638001336321

There's a story in that thread, btw.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

DrNutt posted:

I dont own any guns.

I think the histrionics around them are insane.

If you want to ban things "meant to kill people" then all of you crazy people need to focus on banning pistols, but because they arent "scary looking" no one does that.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

im on the net me boys posted:

I know I helped to start this derail but maybe we should contain the gun control thing in another thread

e: maybe this one

It isn't a derail, this concerns an actual initiative being voted on in 2 weeks in the PNW state known as Washington and topics specific to the actual initiative being voted on are being discussed in the politics subforum. I don't want to argue with people that have no vested interest in what happens in my state. Feel free to continue the discussion there with people that this won't affect if you want though?

FRINGE posted:

I dont own any guns.

If you want to ban things "meant to kill people" then all of you crazy people need to focus on banning pistols, but because they arent "scary looking" no one does that.

By histrionics do you mean equating a large knife with a gun?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

By histrionics do you mean equating a large knife with a gun?

By histrionics they mean attempting to ensure scores of children don't have to die needlessly at their school.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

anthonypants posted:

The media's job is to amplify the voices of those in power https://twitter.com/GregoryMcKelvey/status/1055276638001336321

There's a story in that thread, btw.

Is KOIN part of the Sinclair Media group? I can't remember.

loving William Hearst was way too far ahead of his time.

Edit: KATU is the local Sinclair media, KOIN was owned by Meredith Media General, based in Iowa. It's a mess of sales and mergers but it looks like now its owned by Nexstar.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 25, 2018

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Why not just ban cancer if we're out here trying to save lives?!

I didn't realize guns just happen.

FRINGE posted:

I dont own any guns.

I would love to get rid of hand guns, unfortunately there isn't an initiative to do that on the ballot despite what I want.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

FRINGE posted:

I dont own any guns.

I have owned and fired guns including rifles and I lived ~in the woods~ as you say, adjacent to actual bears and everything. Personally I like guns; I think they can be fun to fire recreationally on ranges and they're tools with uses that absolutely do not need to involve the death of other human beings.

So all that said, the people engaging in histrionics right now are not the ones in favor of strong gun control and I would sacrifice all of that poo poo if it meant not a single more kid got shot trying to go to school.

Also lock your fuckin' doors if you're that afraid of bears.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
also laws and restrictions on things should occur before the point of sale rather than at the moment you decide to purchase something

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Doorknob Slobber posted:

also laws and restrictions on things should occur before the point of sale rather than at the moment you decide to purchase something

Except we do this all the time with booze and smokes. Salespersons are accountable for following laws.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Unoriginal Name posted:

Cant use that law, doesn't fix everything! Is there any other problem we apply this logic to? Guns are a religion in this country with devoted, sometimes murderous, fanatics

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

It isn't a derail, this concerns an actual initiative being voted on in 2 weeks in the PNW state known as Washington and topics specific to the actual initiative being voted on are being discussed in the politics subforum. I don't want to argue with people that have no vested interest in what happens in my state.

I actually agree with this which is why I have allowed the discussion to continue.

I think it would be nice if you guys weren’t as hostile about it but I understand it’s a thing people feel strongly about. Feel free to continue discussing it at least until the election has passed.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Frightening Knight posted:

I understand it’s a thing people feel strongly about.

I imagine it's the largest cause of single issue voters in this country.

People like their hobby enough to railroad the rest of the country and be completely disingenuous about their intent and concerns.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I would be thrilled if it was a debate about the finer points of how guns affect the pacific northwest, but nope it's just another lovely gun debate going over the same old turf until we are all rolling around in the mud.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

porkface posted:

I would be thrilled if it was a debate about the finer points of how guns affect the pacific northwest, but nope it's just another lovely gun debate going over the same old turf until we are all rolling around in the mud.

:same: I've decided to just sit this one out for the remainder

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Reene posted:

I have owned and fired guns including rifles and I lived ~in the woods~ as you say, adjacent to actual bears and everything. Personally I like guns; I think they can be fun to fire recreationally on ranges and they're tools with uses that absolutely do not need to involve the death of other human beings.

So all that said, the people engaging in histrionics right now are not the ones in favor of strong gun control and I would sacrifice all of that poo poo if it meant not a single more kid got shot trying to go to school.

Also lock your fuckin' doors if you're that afraid of bears.
I too have owned guns. I have wandered around wilderness areas with hostile wildlife, including rattlesnakes, bears, and mountain lions. I also think they can be fun to fire recreationally.

The complete lack of regulation we have around gun ownership is loving insane. As for handguns, DC tried to ban them, and the Supreme Court said that wasn't allowed, so this is what there is. If you don't like that, vote Democrat, so we can get people who aren't old white dudes who think that slave owners who died 200 years ago are the sole loving authority on what the government should and shouldn't be allowed to do on the Supreme Court.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

FRINGE posted:

I dont own any guns.

I'd love to ban pistols but nobody wants to alter or eliminate the second amendment. NY tried to ban pistols and lost. I suspect if the NRA really wanted to they could take this bill to the supreme court and have it fail there too.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'd love to ban pistols but nobody wants to alter or eliminate the second amendment. NY tried to ban pistols and lost. I suspect if the NRA really wanted to they could take this bill to the supreme court and have it fail there too.

Oh, they're going to. They are inhuman monsters who exist solely to make sure the gun industry can continue extracting money from the blood of children.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Cool. Loopholes exist. It's a step in the right direction that responsible people can accept. Gun weirdos can point to the gold fringe and call base to be compliant(or just be responsible.)

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 26, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The NRA is a trash fire but they actual go to the mat for the interests of their members which is, sadly, high praise these days.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

The NRA is a trash fire but they actual go to the mat for the interests of their members which is, sadly, high praise these days.

They could not possibly care less about the interests of their members. They go to the mat for the interests of their funders, which is par for the course these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah, their members happen to line up with The Money's interests.

The representation's more coincidence than duty.