Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Because spruce and jungle and dark oak trees all work in 2x2? Maybe greatwoods have always worked like that but it runs counter to how vanilla Minecraft 2x2 trees are planted.

Greatwood switched to 2x2 in 6.1.BETA25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fayk posted:

Well, that will confuse people that are used to the single sapling method, but I guess this will be for the best going forward since new players will find it more intuitive.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Man, my point was that this post had a "how dare you not know" vibe when it's something that runs counter to the logic a player inherits from vanilla Minecraft.

Obviously it doesn't loving matter but at the very least maybe the greatwood page in the thaumonomicon could point out that a single sapling needs clear space around it because that is also not how regular saplings grow. You inevitably run into issues like above where a player does what feels like it should work, but it doesn't and the player ends up confused and frustrated.

wanna melt this post down and bottle all the resultant Vitium essentia

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

McFrugal posted:

Well, that will confuse people that are used to the single sapling method, but I guess this will be for the best going forward since new players will find it more intuitive.

This is modded Minecraft, it isn't exactly an environment with the stringent levels of gameplay standardization that would warrant concerns of this nature.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Super Jay Mann posted:

This is modded Minecraft, it isn't exactly an environment with the stringent levels of gameplay standardization that would warrant concerns of this nature.

True, though it also makes it easier to just spam out a wall of the saplings without them magically all blocking eachother from growing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i don't think i've cut down a whole greatwood tree ever, unless it was with a lumber axe or some crap

usually i just get like the 20 logs you need to do everything in thaumcraft

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

wanna melt this post down and bottle all the resultant Vitium essentia

I prefer to extract the salt, electrolyze it, and use the sodium for batteries.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

save the chlorine so you can use it to process rutile into titanium

gregblock :shepface:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm going to guess that gone are the days of Mediafire .jars that you just drop into your Minecraft folder? What's the best way to install mods and stuff, launchers? Ideally for OSX.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The twitch launcher reigns supreme atm. Extremely streamlined with no adfly links or anything.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:psyduck: Okay, if you say so. Kinda weird that it's tied to Twitch, but whatever.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It was the launcher for FTB which got acquired by Curse which got acquired by Twitch.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Goon Danton posted:

The twitch launcher reigns supreme atm. Extremely streamlined with no adfly links or anything.

The Twitch launcher is strictly for downloading packs. I don't want to open that bloated piece of crap every time I play. For playing modded minecraft you should use MultiMC:
https://multimc.org/

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rutibex posted:

The Twitch launcher is strictly for downloading packs. I don't want to open that bloated piece of crap every time I play. For playing modded minecraft you should use MultiMC:

It also let's you customize and make personal packs easily. It's a giant pile of bloat but it does work well. MultiMC is way more flexible and way less bloaty and but requires slightly more hands on file management.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

Some notes about it I saw on reddit:

So I would try: make a 3x3 of dirt, put ONLY ONE sapling in the center. Some of the problems seem like not allowing for the 1-sapling to become a 2x2 "big tree" that checks for room before it grows

Fayk posted:

now im confused

My greatwood has a 4x4 space. nothing else. one side is water. one side is air. other two continue on with grass.

Ill make another one and put it somewhere :/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of lumber axes, holy poo poo sacred oaks own. It completely drained my knightly lumber axe durability and still wasn't fully cut. I guess I'll be making an osgloglas one.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

now im confused

My greatwood has a 4x4 space. nothing else. one side is water. one side is air. other two continue on with grass.

Ill make another one and put it somewhere :/

Those comments were super old - but it's still unclear to me if they require 2x2 saplings, or it just produces a 2x2 tree

Try both!

Apparently the sidedness for the old 1-sapling style worked like so, always growing to the southeast:

quote:

To grow a Great Wood Tree you will only need 1 sapling to grow the tree even though the tree has a 2x2 base. For the tree to grow the blocks to the south, east and south-east need to be clear and you cannot use bone meal to grow the tree, instead, use the hoe of growth.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Rutibex posted:

You can download packs with multimc.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

You can also download packs on the twitch launcher using the Curse Modpack Downloader.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bigperm posted:

You can download packs with multimc.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You can also download packs on the twitch launcher using the Curse Modpack Downloader.
:eyepop:
You mean I never have to open the Twitch launcher ever again? Hell yeah!

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

It was the launcher for FTB which got acquired by Curse which got acquired by Twitch.

who got acquired by Amazon (at some point) all in all Microsoft owns Minecraft and Amazon distributes the modpacks!

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Devor posted:

Those comments were super old - but it's still unclear to me if they require 2x2 saplings, or it just produces a 2x2 tree

Try both!

Apparently the sidedness for the old 1-sapling style worked like so, always growing to the southeast:

My comment was not particularly old, it was from the other day.

And when I cited what version of TC changed them to expecting 4 (2x2) saplings, that's because not all packs are guaranteed to have the current version of Thaumcraft - buyer beware. For example, it might be different now, but as of a week or so ago, DPT didn't have that version of TC6 yet.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Cerepol posted:

who got acquired by Amazon (at some point) all in all Microsoft owns Minecraft and Amazon distributes the modpacks!

Implicit approval of Pneumaticraft's Amadron tablets and drone-based deliveries. Ty bezos

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Fayk posted:

My comment was not particularly old, it was from the other day.

And when I cited what version of TC changed them to expecting 4 (2x2) saplings, that's because not all packs are guaranteed to have the current version of Thaumcraft - buyer beware. For example, it might be different now, but as of a week or so ago, DPT didn't have that version of TC6 yet.

I just meant the info I found from reddit comments was like 4 years old, so clearly not the current version

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How bad of an idea would it be to put either Mystical Agriculture or Chickens into my sort-of-minimalist Garden of Glass pack?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

How bad of an idea would it be to put either Mystical Agriculture or Chickens into my sort-of-minimalist Garden of Glass pack?

You may as well just switch on creative mode you cheater.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rutibex posted:

You may as well just switch on creative mode you cheater.

Okay.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay.

If you're concerned about performance, you probably want Mystical Agriculture instead of Chickens. Chickens are entities, which are a lot worse on performance. Either way, though, it's not like a Garden of Glass pack is particularly difficult to gather resources in. Making an orechid is one of the first things you do, and it's cheaper to run on top of that. I think you can run it solely on coal gathered from running it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If you're concerned about performance, you probably want Mystical Agriculture instead of Chickens. Chickens are entities, which are a lot worse on performance. Either way, though, it's not like a Garden of Glass pack is particularly difficult to gather resources in. Making an orechid is one of the first things you do, and it's cheaper to run on top of that. I think you can run it solely on coal gathered from running it.

There is a box you can stuff the chickens into that turns them into a block, so you don't have a million entitles running around.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm not really worried about performance, just thinking about alternate ways of generating resources. I know I can orechid stuff, and I only have a few non-vanilla ores in this pack, so I was just wondering if either of those were worth the work involved.

As it is the only "big" mods I have here are Botania, Immersive, and RS. It's not like I have a ton of extra ores cluttering up the orechid table.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rutibex posted:

There is a box you can stuff the chickens into that turns them into a block, so you don't have a million entitles running around.

Oh, right. I think that comes with the Roost mod.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I say add mystical agriculture because I did the plant art for it :pseudo:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I remember that people did a bunch of really cool fantasy/magitek texture packs for the game. Are there good ones still around? Everything I see on the Twitch launcher is like, high res and heavy shader stuff. Nothing that stands out.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I use Dokucraft High personally, it's pretty fantasy looking. https://dokucraft.co.uk/resource-packs/high

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

I use Dokucraft High personally, it's pretty fantasy looking. https://dokucraft.co.uk/resource-packs/high

is there a big mod support pack for doku? i saw you can download some for each mod individually but wow that would take forever

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is there a big mod support pack for doku? i saw you can download some for each mod individually but wow that would take forever

Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately. I just have it replace the vanilla stuff. I used to use it with the Soartex Fanver resource pack for higher-rez mod textures (with Dokucraft given higher priority) and they generally complimented each other well, but for some reason since 1.12 that somehow causes Minecraft to pick randomly between conflicting textures rather than respecting priority and I don't know why.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

What is this edible crafting table called in Stoneblock? I want one.

BTW I really like this pack.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Hedonist posted:

What is this edible crafting table called in Stoneblock? I want one.

BTW I really like this pack.

I think it was just called "edible crafting table". I don't know what it is called exactly anymore because I ate it :v: I got it out of a basic lootbag. You should be able to get as many of those as you want if you make the block that stores lootbag value (so you can put in an single epic bag and pull out 256 common bags). You are going to want to open a lot on these common bags, there is a huge loot table with lots of powerful stuff on it.

Most important item you can get is called an "Acceleration Wand". It gets filled with RF power and you can use it to manually speed up any machine! This includes all kinds of agriculture and resource producing things (like resource chickens).

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
It’s named “inventory carafting table” maybe. The mod that adds it is cyclic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i am at the bit in gregblock where you're juuuuust starting to build LV machines and it's juuuuuust before i can properly automate things but making pumps for servos is still a massive pain

because i am aware of the nonsense still to come, it feels a bit like struggling over the peak of like Mt Etna to see Olympus Mons rise up in front of me