Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

GOG galaxy doesn't need to run for you to launch games. You can use shortcuts to exe files, and simply run galaxy once in a while to patch games. It doesn't have any Steam Workshop analog, so no central modding support (but also no hassle of "minor patch messed up my mods")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:confused:

I mean...gog is definitely the superior option w/r/t DRM and directly funding the developer...

Not supporting the dev is literally his point

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Meve is loving awesome. Decisions in Throne breaker have loving weight. My army got hosed from within by a saboteur because I took a compassionate choice.

Did you play any of The Banner Saga games? They're end-of-the-world tactical RPG fantasy Oregon Trail games with an art style like classic Disney films and a never-ending series of tough choices and real consequences.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Andrast posted:

Getting yet another program to launch games from is a negative

It's smaller than steam and not required to be on when playing. :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lobok posted:

Did you play any of The Banner Saga games? They're end-of-the-world tactical RPG fantasy Oregon Trail games with an art style like classic Disney films and a never-ending series of tough choices and real consequences.

and horrible combat

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Andrast posted:

and horrible combat

What did you find horrible about it? I played the first one on easy so maybe I missed some nuances. Had fun, though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lobok posted:

What did you find horrible about it? I played the first one on easy so maybe I missed some nuances. Had fun, though.

I'll borrow the explanation from Endorph since she said way better than I ever could (I'm not sure if they ever fixed it in the sequels though).

Endorph posted:

the combat in banner saga is so horrifically bad and tedious that it actually makes me angry that they got away with putting it into a video game they charged money for. hp and damage are the same stat, and enemy turns are taken up on a global basis, so leaving enemies alive means they'll waste actions moving guys that can barely do any damage. therefore the solution is to just whittle everyone down to 1 hp, then kill them off one at a time. the combat has exactly one (1) battle with any kind of objective besides killing anything, and exactly zero (0) battles that don't take place in a flat box. and you essentially just have two kinds of units, ranged and melee, with the only differences being rather they do counter damage (garbage because that ruins the primo strat of reducing everything to 1 hp) and whether or not they have aoe attacks (broken because you're leaving everything at 1 hp)

the writing is also extremely stiff, both tonally and because it feels like it was translated poorly from danish or polish or something, even though the studio's based in texas, but then again it's made up by ex-bioware staff so bad writing isn't surprising. a few of the characters are interesting and the world is distinctive but the characters mostly just stand around in circles talking gruffly about the Bad Things from the Dark Place, and also sometimes one of them says 'piss.' the art is very high quality and the animations flow decently well but the game essentially only has six-seven characters that it recolors and alters the beards of. the oregon trail type stuff is interesting but it mostly exists to feed into the combat, and, well.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

Getting yet another program to launch games from is a negative

You can either have a program to download your updates automatically, or you can download them manually - and with GOG you can pickj whichever suits you the best, so yes, it is an advantage.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

You can either have a program to download your updates automatically, or you can download them manually - and with GOG you can pickj whichever suits you the best, so yes, it is an advantage.

I just want to have them all on steam

also nationalize steam

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Personally I like Steam's regional pricing which makes some games affordable if you are from a trash country like me.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I prefer Steam because I have my existing friends list and games on there and I hate change.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

fspades posted:

Personally I like Steam's regional pricing which makes some games affordable if you are from a trash country like me.

Gog doesn't have regional pricing for you? They follow the same rules as Steam for me(Brasil)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I can't stomach another loving launcher ecosystem and I'm already super embedded in steam

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I can't stomach another loving launcher ecosystem and I'm already super embedded in steam

If you hate it that much just launch the exe through Steam.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
:stare: maybe giving that evil spirit a horse to manifest itself in was a bad idea

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Eau de MacGowan posted:

:stare: maybe giving that evil spirit a horse to manifest itself in was a bad idea

Eh. It balances out. :shrug:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You made the more narratively interesting and therefore correct decision.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Considering the reason Geralt goes on that quest I'm genuinely surprised so many people choose to free the spirit on a blind run.

The crones specifically tell you to kill the spirit as part of the deal, in return they will reveal what they know about Ciri, which is the entire reason you are there. If you don't do that then Geralt tries to rules-lawyer his way into saying he fulfilled the deal because the villagers "are safe now" but it's really not that convincing (on top of being blatantly false given later events), it only works because the quest designer didn't want to give you a "you can never find Ciri now, game over" for picking it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The game by that point has conditioned the player to think that things aren't always what they seem or that quests don't have have easily predictable outcomes. I remember thinking freeing the tree spirit didn't seem like a good idea but I took a chance that the game was throwing me a curveball.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Thronebreaker does Nilfgaard justice and shows why siding with Roche and co is really the worst option for the north.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Promethium posted:

Considering the reason Geralt goes on that quest I'm genuinely surprised so many people choose to free the spirit on a blind run.

The crones specifically tell you to kill the spirit as part of the deal, in return they will reveal what they know about Ciri, which is the entire reason you are there. If you don't do that then Geralt tries to rules-lawyer his way into saying he fulfilled the deal because the villagers "are safe now" but it's really not that convincing (on top of being blatantly false given later events), it only works because the quest designer didn't want to give you a "you can never find Ciri now, game over" for picking it.

On the other hand, The Crones are about as far from trustworthy source as you can get and are blatantly malevolent, so double-crossing them, becouse you fully expect to them double-cross you and gently caress up everything in Velen is completely reasonable course of action.

And its also totally right, considering that they were allies of Wild Hunt and were actively helping them hunt for Ciru.....

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I met the volunteer troll. He is much better than Johnny.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

You might not be a terrible person after all :)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Eau de MacGowan posted:

who painted the bird

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Thronebreaker does Nilfgaard justice and shows why siding with Roche and co is really the worst option for the north.

Who cares, you can't betray your boy Thaler.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

SirSamVimes posted:

who painted the bird

Geralt did. It was okay.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Reload it and make the troll paint the bird

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
sorry, i refuse to disobey orders from a redanian soldier

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Congrats on skipping funny troll content on purpose then I guess

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

andrew smash posted:

Congrats on skipping funny troll content on purpose then I guess

But the troll talking about how bootiful Geralt's lovely bird is is also funny troll content? There isn't really a wrong answer here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Promethium posted:

I remember deciding not to after the tree spirit came off... badly. I mean, not that the Crones don't, but I already knew they were no good.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just started this and am in the second area now. There are so many bounty boards and quests. My body can't handle this.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

SirSamVimes posted:

But the troll talking about how bootiful Geralt's lovely bird is is also funny troll content? There isn't really a wrong answer here.

The wrong answer is not seeing both funny endings

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wish I could hang that shield in Corvo Bianco...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Crones are obviously evil and not telling you everything, and there's a text you can find that says how they murdered the spirit that originally watched over the swamp so they could rule it forever, so disobeying them seems like the "smart" choice. It isn't, I don't think.

The crones are neat, suitably chilling and interesting, but I don't like the Baron quest in general because
1) The Baron is a shithead, and the only endings are to get his abused wife killed or to send her off with him because he's "changed", which I guess means he still gets violently drunk and attacks people but hasn't attacked his wife recently, which you could argue is just because she literally ran away and hid from him but we're not supposed to think about that.

2) The fate of the Baron and his wife feels too detached from the choice you make. I get that the game is about hard choices and unintended consequences, but this feels too random. I guess the idea is you double cross the crones, they get pissed and kill the person you're here to help, but given that they also try to kill her if you do help them it's not really a clear distinction.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Eau de MacGowan posted:

sorry, i refuse to disobey orders from a redanian soldier

Killing talkie trolls makes you more of a monster than anything you will hunt in this game.

Terrible! Troll Lives Matter.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

The Crones are obviously evil and not telling you everything, and there's a text you can find that says how they murdered the spirit that originally watched over the swamp so they could rule it forever, so disobeying them seems like the "smart" choice. It isn't, I don't think.

The crones are neat, suitably chilling and interesting, but I don't like the Baron quest in general because
1) The Baron is a shithead, and the only endings are to get his abused wife killed or to send her off with him because he's "changed", which I guess means he still gets violently drunk and attacks people but hasn't attacked his wife recently, which you could argue is just because she literally ran away and hid from him but we're not supposed to think about that.

2) The fate of the Baron and his wife feels too detached from the choice you make. I get that the game is about hard choices and unintended consequences, but this feels too random. I guess the idea is you double cross the crones, they get pissed and kill the person you're here to help, but given that they also try to kill her if you do help them it's not really a clear distinction.

I don't think so - the common thread to all the quests/stories CD Projekt wrote for the Witcher is that the characters in this story have their own agency and Geralt The Hero cannot overwrite that agency. Solving the monster problem of a terrible person doesn't stop them being a terrible person.

One of the many reasons the Bloody Baron questline is so great is that he engages in self-destructive and terrible behavior even as Geralt is helping him out and you can't force him to stop, but by the end of the arc you're given a hint that you've given him enough of a nudge to change his ways. Maybe.

Part of The Witcher is managing to make the distinction between the fact that while you the player made an IF-THEN choice and the consequences for the game are in one sense all on you, internal to the story is the assumption that non-player characters will act in ways you can't control.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I don't think so - the common thread to all the quests/stories CD Projekt wrote for the Witcher is that the characters in this story have their own agency and Geralt The Hero cannot overwrite that agency. Solving the monster problem of a terrible person doesn't stop them being a terrible person.

One of the many reasons the Bloody Baron questline is so great is that he engages in self-destructive and terrible behavior even as Geralt is helping him out and you can't force him to stop, but by the end of the arc you're given a hint that you've given him enough of a nudge to change his ways. Maybe.

Part of The Witcher is managing to make the distinction between the fact that while you the player made an IF-THEN choice and the consequences for the game are in one sense all on you, internal to the story is the assumption that non-player characters will act in ways you can't control.

Yeah, I don't think the Baron's outcomes are like, logically flawed, they just leave me very dissatisfied. Having played like 100 hours of this series up to that point I'm very okay with the concept of grim endings, unintended consequences, etc, but this one rubbed me way worse than most of the other quests. I think it's that the lens the game seems to view the baron and his wife through is so out of touch to me. He's a violent abuser who's like 24 hours removed from his latest bender and still partially blames his violence on her cheating. I don't see any happy ending or hope in sending his tortured mind wiped wife off on a vision quest with him. I get the sense that I'm supposed to sympathize with him while he's blubbering about how his bitch wife hectored him so much that he had to hit her, but the only option I want is to tell him to gently caress off or kill him and try to find some way for his wife to find any sense of peace.

I dunno maybe it's just 2018 and I don't have the taste for unrelenting grimness anymore. I almost quit the game completely at that point because I thought that was it, but I picked it back up and have done through the Novigrad plot and am feeling better about the game. It's still like, absurdly grim and nasty but at least I didn't have to send Whoreson Jr back on his merry way to kill more hookers or whatever.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone managed to kill Lippi Gudmund the Skellige twat?

Oh ffs, got him down to 1 hp.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, I don't think the Baron's outcomes are like, logically flawed, they just leave me very dissatisfied. Having played like 100 hours of this series up to that point I'm very okay with the concept of grim endings, unintended consequences, etc, but this one rubbed me way worse than most of the other quests. I think it's that the lens the game seems to view the baron and his wife through is so out of touch to me. He's a violent abuser who's like 24 hours removed from his latest bender and still partially blames his violence on her cheating. I don't see any happy ending or hope in sending his tortured mind wiped wife off on a vision quest with him. I get the sense that I'm supposed to sympathize with him while he's blubbering about how his bitch wife hectored him so much that he had to hit her, but the only option I want is to tell him to gently caress off or kill him and try to find some way for his wife to find any sense of peace.

I dunno maybe it's just 2018 and I don't have the taste for unrelenting grimness anymore. I almost quit the game completely at that point because I thought that was it, but I picked it back up and have done through the Novigrad plot and am feeling better about the game. It's still like, absurdly grim and nasty but at least I didn't have to send Whoreson Jr back on his merry way to kill more hookers or whatever.

I mean, the first time I played through, I picked all of those options to tell him to go gently caress himself and that he ruined his own life, and I honestly never once got the feeling that Geralt was being forced to agree with him, just that the game provided those options. I don't think the game is trying to make you sympathize with him, so much as the game is putting you into a situation where you are forced to interact with a poo poo human who is constantly trying to justify his actions.