Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SalTheBard posted:

How are people feeling about 4 (maybe 5 or 6) episodes of flashbacks? How badly do we want to get back to the bunker? What was even happening at the bunker when we left off?

I'm still having fun, but I feel like the production numbers for the first 3 episodes are 807, 808, and 809.

If everything had led up to the apocalypse, it would have felt more natural and interesting, but then you don't blow up the world in the cold open so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

SalTheBard posted:

How are people feeling about 4 (maybe 5 or 6) episodes of flashbacks? How badly do we want to get back to the bunker? What was even happening at the bunker when we left off?

I'm conflicted. Coven was my favourite season, even with all it's faults. As much as I love revisiting that, with everything that made it great distilled into these flashback episodes, I feel like they're wasting the premise Apocalypse set up with the characters in the bunker. Like, we could have just had Coven/Murder House II for a whole season, and do AHS: Fallout Apocalypse as it's own season, without Michael Langdon as the Antichrist.

We had three episodes of Apocalypse, before going into Coven II feat. Murder House. Three episodes setting up the bunker, a full cast of characters, and then pretty much everyone from the bunker aside from three characters are dead, and we've been coasting solely on Coven since.

I'm enjoying the ride, but it's not the ride I thought I would get. I liked Coven, so I'm still on board, but if I was among those who didn't, I don't think this season would hold my interest.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This season is still interesting enough, but I’m far from certain they are going to stick the landing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's a Ryan Murphy show.

Your heart already knows.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SalTheBard posted:

I do not like the tonal shift from the apocalypse and I still hate all the witch crap and I'm basically just watching still because of sunk cost fallacy.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

The preview for next week at least makes me hope they're going to address how the antichrist got a fully functional android in two years

Like at this point how did Michael "failson antichrist" Langdon do the apocalypse?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I liked the bunker a lot better. I know this is the callback/fanservice/crossover season, but man, these episodes are really starting to drag for me.

Do we really need another snarky old witch with a convenient power? Did we need such a dramatic burning scene when they've continued to establish that burned witches/warlocks can easily be resurrected?

The scene where Coco choked to death in like twenty seconds while three powerful witches just stood there and went "oh drat, she dead now!," might be the goofiest thing they've done since Coven itself aired.

I did enjoy the Papa Legba scene and the return of Nan, but it will ultimately be irrelevant.

I'm starting to seriously to worry that Coco's calorie-counting power will be the thing that kills the antichrist.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

OmegaBR posted:

I'm starting to seriously to worry that Coco's calorie-counting power will be the thing that kills the antichrist.

I figured she had to look away from the burnings because they suddenly had numbers associated with the bodies... :stonk:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

So, everyone inside the bunker is going to turn out to be connected to the witch v. Antichrist struggle, right?

Curious what the world’s most boring couple was doing before the Apocalypse.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Well, we still have to see what "The Cooperative" stems from. I guess that satanic church thing we'll see next week will have a key part in it since the Coven is officially anti-antichrist now.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'
And Evan Peters' ultra-blonde hairdresser is linked to the albino/ultra-blonde coven helpers?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can you build bomb shelters all over the world in 2 years? Also the mom android said that she was paid by the cooperative for years but that could be false memories. The whole first 3 episodes seem like such a waste. I don't even think the whole fallout part was really needed because they barely used it. I'm guessing the final episodes will just be in that bunker and they have to stay inside it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 25, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I lowkey loved them building up this new cast of characters and killing them after three episodes, so the flashback episodes haven't bugged me 'cause the only loose end from the first part of the season is whether Billy Eichner is alive tbh

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ya that part was cool and these flashbacks are cool the bad part is that they're wasting precious episodes instead of developing a hefty plot again. I wish AHS would focus on either the apocalypse or the coven/murderhouse tie ins

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I've been really into this season—flashbacks, time jumps, and all—but this episode was kind of a stinker. Felt like it could have been summed up in a scene or two, and did we really need John Henry back? I like the actor and the character okay, but it just felt kind of cheap to bring him back for essentially no reason.

I also just realized that we did not even get one shot of Cody Fern in this episode at all. Could be another one of the reasons it wasn't as good imo cause he's been killing it this season.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't think it was for no reason at all. From the Coven's POV they needed further evidence of the Warlocks' plan and root out any other collaborators which they did. It was also an opportunity to test Mallory with the Seven Wonders. Finally it was one last "gently caress you" to the Warlocks who die thinking that their entire plan has been completely flipped on its head and almost nothing they did actually mattered.

Of course, the audience knows we are an episode or two away from the world literally ending, so this is all a way to build tension to see how Michael destroys everything regardless of their opposition.

Plus yeah I really liked the character and am glad he's back.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm more entertained with this season of AHS than any before it, which is odd because I was ready to condemn it after two straight episodes of bunker.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I'm still enjoying the season a lot. I actually kind of wish the coven/warlock/voodoo intrigue was just its own show that could unravel over a few seasons. It feels almost wasted here. Knowing where everything goes does make some things feel superfluous. It makes sense the investigation into Michael for instance. But we already know he's evil as viewers so we could have skipped a lot of that, although if we hadn't known that fact it'd have made plenty of sense.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm definitely feeling like they've spent so much time on flashbacks this season that it would have been better to tell the story more-or-less chronologically.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm definitely feeling like they've spent so much time on flashbacks this season that it would have been better to tell the story more-or-less chronologically.

:same:

It’s just that the cold open negates the drama from eps 4-7 so far...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think the flashback format would have worked way better if Murphy hadn't announced it was a Coven/Murder House crossover and who would be returning. Then there would have been much more of a wow factor to offing the new characters and bringing the witches in, rather than everyone waiting three episodes for them to show up and now wondering if chronological would have been better from the start.

I don't mind the format at all, myself. Though this week's episode definitely wasn't as exciting or fun as the last few. But I'm just glad it's all following the same story in a logical way instead of going on a million random tangents like the show used to lmao

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If they waited for episode 8 for the fallout part we would also be saying 'what the gently caress is this show doing with all these fallout episodes".

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The coven stuff is mostly good besides the most recent episode but I can’t say I’d be as intrigued if I hadn’t been hooked on the apocalypse storyline first

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TheBizzness posted:

The coven stuff is mostly good besides the most recent episode but I can’t say I’d be as intrigued if I hadn’t been hooked on the apocalypse storyline first

Yeah, same. I dug the weird ye olde time-y Vault-Tec vault experiment vibe it had going on, and the sudden death of all but like 3 of those characters was great. It's even better if you consider that Coco could have saved them from the apples if she hadn't been dispatched by her wasteland boyfriend lmao

I also appreciated them establishing last week that Michael can erase a loving soul, which makes all the resurrections less of a 'lol nobody can die anyway' thing. He's the loving antichrist and they've made him, to me, feel like a threat-- even for these women who can all bring eachother back willy nilly.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Coco was still under the forget spell at the time, so unless her powers unconsciously broke through it may not have helped with the apples.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

JossiRossi posted:

I'm still enjoying the season a lot. I actually kind of wish the coven/warlock/voodoo intrigue was just its own show that could unravel over a few seasons. It feels almost wasted here. Knowing where everything goes does make some things feel superfluous. It makes sense the investigation into Michael for instance. But we already know he's evil as viewers so we could have skipped a lot of that, although if we hadn't known that fact it'd have made plenty of sense.

I wonder if this season as a whole would work better if it wasn't made explicit before it even started airing that Cody Fern is Michael Langdon is the Antichrist, or that this season was the promised land of a Coven x Murder House crossover. People would undoubtedly put two and two together well before the actual Murder House episode, but maybe that reveal packs more punch with the general audience if everyone isn't watching like, "Yes, yes, we know he's pure evil, let's get a move on."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pinwiz11 posted:

Coco was still under the forget spell at the time, so unless her powers unconsciously broke through it may not have helped with the apples.

Mallory's powers appeared when she was in danger, so I wouldn't be surprised if Coco's would have before biting a poison apple. I think it's a cute little detail either way, the one person not near or killed by the poison apples being a witch who can detect poo poo in food lmao

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I like the structure, you're thrown into this scenario where it seems everyone is there by chance and then it's slowly revealed what everyone has to do with each other, Murder on the Orient Express style. Plus it lends to setup a reveal that Michael did kill everyone he could and Cordelia et all are just there because it's Halloween.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

esperterra posted:

Mallory's powers appeared when she was in danger, so I wouldn't be surprised if Coco's would have before biting a poison apple. I think it's a cute little detail either way, the one person not near or killed by the poison apples being a witch who can detect poo poo in food lmao

Oh that is neat. I kind of thought Mallory's powers were kicking in because she was the supreme, and was actually able to fight off Michael a bit. It was also cool that she still felt a sense of obligation toward Coco, because even though she had her memory erased she was still powerful enough to sort of retain some of her past self.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
No, it wouldn't have worked to have these episodes sorted chronologically by when poo poo happen in the story, because then you'd already know that Mallory, Coco and Dinah are undercover witches under an amnesia spell, and that the bespectacled grey mouse servant slave is actually the most powerful witch in the whole world. You miss out on the reveal when she suddenly unleashes her power in Michael's quarters, and you already know about ms. Mead's history and death.

It's like watching the Star Wars movies ordered by the number in the title rather than when they were released. You already know every twist and reveal in the plot ahead of time.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

kjetting posted:

It's like watching the Star Wars movies ordered by the number in the title rather than when they were released. You already know every twist and reveal in the plot ahead of time.

In a similar sense, I don't find that knowing this storyline ends in the apocalypse really detracts from following the story of how we got there. You watch episodes 1-3 already knowing that Anakin will become Vader, but it works because the narrative is structured around the audience knowing that.

I just don't see a way that presenting it chronologically would have really worked. You could call it AHS: Apocalypse and have people wondering for 5+ weeks why the season is about witches and warlocks again, and still knowing the world will end because it's right there in the title. Or you call it AHS: Coven II, and the dozen people who tune in will be wondering why it turned into an apocalypse story halfway through.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
American Horror Story: Easy Bake Coven.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I wonder why Bubbles hasn't been resurrected yet.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Nibble posted:

In a similar sense, I don't find that knowing this storyline ends in the apocalypse really detracts from following the story of how we got there. You watch episodes 1-3 already knowing that Anakin will become Vader, but it works because the narrative is structured around the audience knowing that.

I just don't see a way that presenting it chronologically would have really worked. You could call it AHS: Apocalypse and have people wondering for 5+ weeks why the season is about witches and warlocks again, and still knowing the world will end because it's right there in the title. Or you call it AHS: Coven II, and the dozen people who tune in will be wondering why it turned into an apocalypse story halfway through.

Exactly. It works best the way it is, if it was going to be a chronological telling of events the story would have to have some other structure in a lot of ways. You'd probably have to skip just about everything from the fallout episodes because they are structured around and building up to the reveal.

I don't really mind the break in the main story, as long as the story elements intrigue me. Of course I find the narrative structure a little funny with (soon) five episodes of backstory wedged into a ten episode season, but I'm still hooked.
AHS did a similar twist in Roanoke (twice, actually), where they ended the ongoing storyline and switched to a completely different, but connected storyline told in a very different manner.

I'm still wondering about a few things in how these stories connect, and hope they manage to tie the loose ends up into a nice bow.
I wonder if we'll ever get to see the two kids that we were led to believe were the protagonists again and if they'll have some significance to the story in any way, or if they were just a red herring.
I wonder how long Coco and the others have been set up in their non-coven lives, as they seemed to be very "set" in their roles and Coco seemed to have a stable relationship with both her boyfriend and her stylist.
I wonder how the coven made sure their three witches would be guaranteed room in the vault.
I wonder if we'll get more info on the rubber man and if anyone/-thing/-demon was wearing the suit or if it was just a golem produced by Michael. I HOPE it's still Tate, as Peters on Peters action is something we have yet to see on AHS.
I wonder if we'll get a satisfying explanation of The Cooperative, the construction of outposts and selection of inhabitants, the miss Mead droid retaining all her memories, and all the other sci-fi stuff that must have taken years to prepare.
Of course I most of all wonder if Mad Max/Brock will return. Billy Eichner really killed in that part.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kjetting posted:

I wonder how long Coco and the others have been set up in their non-coven lives, as they seemed to be very "set" in their roles and Coco seemed to have a stable relationship with both her boyfriend and her stylist.

Given the timing of the flashbacks probably about two years. Though it looks like Coco just had her memories of witchcraft erased since they just sent her back to her family.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

nashona posted:

I wonder why Bubbles hasn't been resurrected yet.

They probably just can't find her body at the moment and wouldn't know where to look without Mead/Michael/Venable's input. It's been a hot minute since Gallant killed her so presumably her remains got offloaded somewhere else, versus Dinah/Coco/Mallory whose bodies I guess had been left in the party room for Cordelia and company to find upon arrival.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nibble posted:

In a similar sense, I don't find that knowing this storyline ends in the apocalypse really detracts from following the story of how we got there.

:same: if anything it adds a sense of dread knowing what is coming

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

esperterra posted:

As long as Misty doesn't get killed for the, what, 30th time in her life or whatever, then I'm fine with whatever happens to the rest of them. :colbert:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

esperterra posted:

AHS isn't really scary so I'm not sure dread is the right word here. Maybe anxiousness?

Either way the twist of killing everyone in the bunker is starting to wear off and all these flashbacks are making me feel like they should have just told the story in one linear path. They're already sort of doing that since there's no present/past mash em up and it's just 'here's what happened in the present, okay now here's what happened in the past'. The stories not bad, in fact it's pretty creative by Ryan Murphy standards. It just should have been from point A to point B at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

xeria posted:

As long as Misty doesn't get killed for the, what, 30th time in her life or whatever, then I'm fine with whatever happens to the rest of them. :colbert:

hell, :same: