Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

redreader posted:

Am I the only person who has sound issues with Amazon prime? I use a ps4 with 5.1 sound speakers and a 5.1 receiver. I plug my ps4 in with the hdmi cable and I have two problems:
(netflix/hulu/games are absolutely fine)
1: amazon prime voices are often too soft and the other sound is too loud. I use subs when available and my hearing is fine.
2: I have to turn the receiver up to 45 volume, while netflix/hulu are fine at about 30.

I've hosed with the ps4 sound settings: raw(pcm I think?)/dts/dolby or whatever. they're all supported by the receiver and none of them work properly for amazon.

A friend told me to use the pc for amazon prime. I should try that, it's also plugged into the receiver.

I don't have a PS4 and use Roku devices (TV, Roku SE, and Express depending on which room). I have the same issue with watching Amazon. Netflix, Hulu, and others are fine but watching something like Jack Ryan is frustrating especially since I typically watch TV after the kids go to bed. I need it way high just to hear conversation, but as soon as there's gunfire, bombs, etc. I'm waking everyone up in the house, my neighbors across the street, etc.

The lag drives me crazy, but I'll probably go back to using headphones along with the Roku remote app to actually hear what I'm watching.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mysterious frankie posted:

Though if shudder could get a drat ps4 app I’d be happier. I would gladly sacrifice the entire criterion collection on an altar to get shudder on the big tv in my front room without buying more hardware.

You know you can just watch Shudder through the PS4 Amazon instant video app, right?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Castlevania is so dope. I'm really glad season 2 is twice the length of the tiny rear end 1st season

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Castlevania is so dope. I'm really glad season 2 is twice the length of the tiny rear end 1st season

Woah, thanks for reminding me season 2 is available!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How is Sabrina? The trailer looked like Footloose except the boring normies are now the good guys

Edit:

thelaughingman posted:

It's just plain bad.

How bad

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Steve Yun posted:

How is Sabrina? The trailer looked like Footloose except the boring normies are now the good guys

Edit:

How bad

If you like Riverdale, you'll like Sabrina.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Nihonniboku posted:

If you like Riverdale, you'll like Sabrina.

I wouldn't use Riverdale as the metric for enjoying this show; honestly, I think Sabrina owes a lot more to Buffy than it does to Riverdale or Afterlife With Archie. It's more lighthearted than you might expect from a show about pledging your soul to Satan--lighthearted not because it's jokey, but because it's actually quite optimistic. It's definitely got a Buffy-esque camp to it, in a way that services the show.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I hate Riverdale.

Sabrina is good

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm fifteen minutes into the first episode and I'm pretty sure I'm a fan. The bloody neck stab helped.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Ep 3 slows down but boy is 4 picking right up.

It's striking that balance of being on the precipice of utter trash and camp, but stabilizing firmly in the "actually good" side of shows.

Kinda reminds me of the ABC TGIF show with the humor, just a bit here and there.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Just watch episode 2.

Edit:
https://www.popbuzz.com/tv-film/news/netflix-haunted-episode-2-serial-killer/

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 27, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Revenge is pretty dope. Way more outlandish that I expected and stylish as hell.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I finished Bodyguard on Netflix and would recommend it for people who are fans of political thrillers. Nothing groundbreaking but its a well done six episode series.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Finished up Castlevania and the scene where vampire killer kicked in and suddenly our heroes started whipping out recognizable moves from the videogames was pandering I didn't know I wanted until it happened. I'm really only super familiar with symphony of the night and the first game so maybe other people would pick up on other less in your face stuff

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

veni veni veni posted:

Revenge is pretty dope.

Agreed. Extremely cool film. It's available on Shudder for anyone interested, possibly some lesser platforms as well.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
You Were Never Really Here is on Prime. Go watch some pedophiles get brained, why don’t you?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I think its really impressive that both the young and old actors for the oldest brother in Hill House manage to sound not american.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
How has Netflix existed this long without the ability to filter or sort your queue, other than painstakingly by hand?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Brocktoon posted:

How has Netflix existed this long without the ability to filter or sort your queue, other than painstakingly by hand?

They don't want you to be able to take ownership of their catalog in any way, even giving you the ability to compile a watchlist is something they probably do begrudgingly. The more you can organize the selections you want to watch, the easier it is to get a feel for how much there is you're actually interested in, and that much easier to decide to cancel your subscription. They like you to have only a vague notion of Netflix as this seemingly endless sources of entertainment, so that you'll never consider unsubscribing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

At the rate the size of their catalog is decreasing, in another couple years it will all be Netflix originals and fit on one page so it's pretty much irrelevant.

They used to put a lot of effort into a recommendation system that would try to find movies you would be interested in. Now they put all their effort into stuff like choosing thumbnails they think they will like based on your preferences. In other words, they're showing the same titles to everyone, but trying to convince subscribers that those same titles are what they personally want to watch (or at least that Netflix has content they might potentially watch, even if this falls apart once they try to actually watch it).

Filtering would just make this more obvious.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Who's gonna jump on the grenade and watch the new Adam Sandler special?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I honestly forgot he was a comedian.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

mystes posted:

At the rate the size of their catalog is decreasing, in another couple years it will all be Netflix originals and fit on one page so it's pretty much irrelevant.

There are like 700 netflix branded TV shows and movies on the service at the moment. I get that people aren't happy when netflix loses stuff, losing 30 Rock was what finally made us get a hulu subscription, but to act like they have nothing else on there is disingenuous as heck.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There are like 700 netflix branded TV shows and movies on the service at the moment. I get that people aren't happy when netflix loses stuff, losing 30 Rock was what finally made us get a hulu subscription, but to act like they have nothing else on there is disingenuous as heck.
One page may be an exaggeration, but their catalog is decreasing rapidly in overall size.

To be fair, their strategy around Netflix originals is essentially a response to this, though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Netflix has been pretty open about going after original content rather than having a library though. Whether that's ACTUAL original content, or stuff they bought the rights to, either way.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They're basically turning into HBO and that's OK. It just means that they don't really have that much need for features like recommendations or filtering by category.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know I'm in the minority but I've never been happier with Netflix. I've enjoyed a lot of their original content and they always have a pretty satisfying selection of smaller films that I've been meaning to watch or have slipped under my radar. More hollywood movies would be nice, but I usually find myself seeking those out vs just picking one and watching it. Which is gonna be a crapshoot even if they have a better selection. If I'm set on watching something specific I'm fine with just paying 2 bux or whatever to rent it since that only happens maybe once a month or less.

HBO on the other hand needs to up their loving game. I kind of can't believe it's the most expensive service right now with what they are offering.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

HBO gets more than Netflix a month for far less time spent actually watching stuff.

I just wish Netflix would at the very least let me separate my TV and Movies in to separate queues.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I thought Castlevania Season 2 was slightly less good than Season 1 up until the last 2 episodes. Holy poo poo.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

Field Mousepad posted:

Who's gonna jump on the grenade and watch the new Adam Sandler special?

I was actually pleasantly surprised but I haven’t really seen any of his stuff for at least 5 years so maybe I just went in with low expectations.
It was pretty chill, nothing stood out as really stupid.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Medullah posted:

Netflix has been pretty open about going after original content rather than having a library though. Whether that's ACTUAL original content, or stuff they bought the rights to, either way.

The only reason I have Netflix is for their originals, and I could care less about their library. Yes once or twice a year they will have a non-original I am interested in. You know who that reminds me of...

mystes posted:

They're basically turning into HBO and that's OK. It just means that they don't really have that much need for features like recommendations or filtering by category.

Yep (I might watch a movie on HBO once or twice a year), but they are mass producing content that HBO can't compete with. One could argue that with Netflix it is quantity over quality, but honestly they have some high quality shows too (Haunting of Hill House and GLOW will both make my top 10 this year). So I don't mind it.

veni veni veni posted:

I know I'm in the minority but I've never been happier with Netflix...

HBO on the other hand needs to up their loving game. I kind of can't believe it's the most expensive service right now with what they are offering.

This is the first time since 1999 that I currently don't have HBO. I will get HBO again soon to catch up a few shows, and while I hope they will come up another The Leftovers, long gone is the golden era of HBO. I am glad I got to experience it.

Also count me as person that thinks Netflix is better than it ever was. I no longer need it so I can watch a show I missed, because almost everything worth watching is on it's on streaming service (HBO Now, Hulu, Prime, etc.). I just need it to give me originals worth watching.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 30, 2018

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The cool thing about Hulu’s interface is that my TV apps use a Watch List and the phone and computer sites use “My Stuff” and they don’t align even if you use Hulu’s sync option.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My tv viewing calendar is telling me to buy a month of HBO on 11/11, because that's when season 2 of The Deuce is done.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I binged Jack Ryan yesterday and it was pretty enjoyable. Basically a long form action movie.

Making Greer Muslim was a good start, but I think they needed more Muslim men who are good people in general. Aside from Greer, a couple fathers that get caught up, and the nice uncle pretty much every male Muslim in the show is a complete monster.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
If anyone hasn't watched The Night Comes For Us do it right now it is fuckin tits

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My tv viewing calendar is telling me to buy a month of HBO on 11/11, because that's when season 2 of The Deuce is done.

It's really good. best show on HBO in a while. It actually ends this Sunday though.

I'd definitely buy HBO only 1 or 2 months out of the year with how inconsistent they are with decent content, if I wasn't just piggybacking of my brothers account. I guess there's always the appeal of it having a decent amount of their back catalog, but the Deuce is the only really good thing I've seen from them in the last few years (I'm as hung up on GOT as everyone else but I don't know if I'd even call it good). I need to check out sharp objects or whatever it's called I hear that is good too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Sharp Objects is good stuff.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Finished Sabrina and i would say it was good but not great. I enjoyed most of it and it somehow feels more grounded than Riverdale.

Minor grip about the ending
I don’t really understand how the “it’s what your mother and father wanted for you” re: signing herself over to Satan works on Sabrina considering they make it clear that it actually isn’t what her mother wanted for her and it was pretty clear that when she met her mom in Purgatory that her mother didn’t want her to be a witch. Maybe she was too worried about the skeleton horse man to “well actually... “ Lilith at that point.

Also episode 5 was hilariously bad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There are some episodes of Jeopardy on Netflix now, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There are some episodes of Jeopardy on Netflix now, for some reason.

Seems like it's just the Tournament of Champions, which is the same collection Hulu has.