Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Pham Nuwen posted:

These are indeed very tasty, I eat them at home but hadn't thought about it for hiking. If you have abundant water and an appropriate pot I bet you could boil water over a fire, drop the pouch in to heat, and then eat out of the pouch. I say this because I hate cleaning pots while camping.

This is what I do when I'm feeling fancy. Normally I don't mind eating them body heat by keeping them in my jacket or biking jersey for the last hour before striking camp. The added bonus to boiling in the pot is you can use the water to make coffee after too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

StarkingBarfish posted:

Re foodchat: Find yourself an indian grocery store. The place near me sells Indian 'ready meals' that are basically repackaged indian MREs for the consumer market. The store on my street corner sells about 30 flavors, they're all delicious, dirt cheap and they're super energy dense:

Macros/100g for this pack, which is 300g total. They obviously vary:

The daal is one of my favorites and it's not particularly spicy if you're not into that sort of thing. They're tasty cold as well. They all seem to be vegetarian so I guess if you mind not having meat that might be an issue but it doesn't bother me. I've taken them on cycle tours and yet to find a flavor I didn't like. Toss them in a pot in the bag, eat with your fancy as gently caress titanium long armed spoon or whatever.
Oh man this looks awesome, I'm going to have to try that out! I've always been a big fan of the Tasty Bites Madras Lentils, especially dressed up with corn, chicken, and fried onions for a tasty multi person chili-esque casserole at camp. The dishes suck though, so I haven't done it in awhile, but I'm definitely going to have to give some of these individual flavors a shot.

Thanks for the recommendation!

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Cross-posting from the GBS aliexpress thread:

I live in Switzerland which is great for taking a hike or cycletouring, but is hard on the wallet: Local shops and online stores are crazy expensive, and shipping from the US is pricey too due to customs charges. The solution to both these problems is Aliexpress. You can get very high quality, usually made-in-same-factory knock-offs for very low prices, and as customs charge a %age based on the price, it makes the long shipping wait worthwhile if you're camping on a budget.

I've had a great run of Aliexpress camping goods. Once you wade through the tactilol stuff there are some real bargains to be had. Still not sure I'd trust AliExpress for safety equipment (I've seen belay devices, slings and the like on there with apparent certification), but I've had good luck with some of the following:

Hammock underquilt: I got this when it was around $35, it has since doubled in price for some reason, still cheaper than hammock quilts bought in US/EU stores. They also have down-filled ones but those get expensive fast and I've yet to be annoyed by the extra weight synthetics add:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LUC....27424c4dfxE7XR

Hammock straps: These are 1/4 the price of the ENO ATLAS straps they copy, and I've had a good year of use out of them so far without issue:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre....27424c4dfxE7XR

Tarp to use as a hammock shelter: I got this when it was half the current price. It's well made, the attachment points are all reinforced, and the material is light but still waterproof and ripstop:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3F-....27424c4dfxE7XR

These haven't shown up yet as I only ordered them last week, but they're a knock-off of the nite-ize figure 9 for less than half the price of the real ones:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-P....68354c4dsZOt7Z

I used all of the above save for the figure 9s on an overnighter at 4300ft in the Jura over the weekend. The underquilt was great at 40f, could go lower if paired with a good sleeping bag. It's a little on the short side though, so stick your jacket around the end of the hammock where your feet are:

I'm now ordering like 10 titanium sporks of different varieties because they're 5x cheaper on ali and will make great stocking fillers at christmas.

edit: links got broken when I copied over.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 22, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Learned a good lesson today about footwear after getting lucky.

I got some nice lightweight socks I decided to wear on the trail today. I brought a not-new backup pair in case the trail was wet or it got cold, but after 5-6 miles my heels started chafing on my boots because the socks didn’t provide enough padding. My backups went on and the pain went away before my feet could blister. I was able to make it the full 12 miles. Lesson learned. I’ll use the light ones for my running shoes.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

Learned a good lesson today about footwear after getting lucky.

I got some nice lightweight socks I decided to wear on the trail today. I brought a not-new backup pair in case the trail was wet or it got cold, but after 5-6 miles my heels started chafing on my boots because the socks didn’t provide enough padding. My backups went on and the pain went away before my feet could blister. I was able to make it the full 12 miles. Lesson learned. I’ll use the light ones for my running shoes.

Good quality socks are very important, and everyone has different foot preferences, but you might also look at your footwear lacing techniques. If your heel is chafing, there are a couple of things you can try lacing wise or extra padding wise to lock your foot into your shoe better.

Internet Wizard posted:

Get a cheap foam sleep pad and cut off a piece and put it between the tongues of your boot and the laces

That might help your foot from sliding around.

This video might also be helpful for different ways to lace up your boots to lock in different parts of your foot:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOE28brAcEc

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah it was definitely a fitment issue but once I got back in my regulars there wasn’t any more sliding at all, I think I just have skinny feet and need the extra padding to fill out the shoe.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I looked more into phone charging solutions after considering solar and batteries. The technology has really taken off since my last battery years and years ago. I got an Anker PowerCore 20000 mAh that weighs under a pound and will charge my iPhone about 7 times for 50 bones.

That’s insane.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

khysanth posted:

https://www.klymit.com/insulated-static-v-sleeping-pad.html

If you decide to get more $pendy, just buy a Neoair XTherm and never look back.

I just ordered one on Amazon for $45, so unless it turns out to be some sort of bullshit scam I look forward to trying this out soon.

Also ordered a Trangia so I don't worry about my canister stove making GBS threads out at 9,000 feet and 20 degrees.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rolo posted:

So I looked more into phone charging solutions after considering solar and batteries. The technology has really taken off since my last battery years and years ago. I got an Anker PowerCore 20000 mAh that weighs under a pound and will charge my iPhone about 7 times for 50 bones.

That’s insane.

I'm gonna blow your mind. Some of these lithium power bricks? _Now carry enough charge to jump start your car_. Light truck, too. Even 18v trucks, if you get one big enough.

Lithium bricks have come a long-rear end way.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 24, 2018

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just ordered one on Amazon for $45, so unless it turns out to be some sort of bullshit scam I look forward to trying this out soon.

Also ordered a Trangia so I don't worry about my canister stove making GBS threads out at 9,000 feet and 20 degrees.

Except alcohol stoves suck in winter, windy conditions, and I would presume altitude :ssh:

Not that I don't like alcohol stoves mind you, and not that I haven't used them in winter, but canister stove performance shouldn't be an issue as far as any of that is concerned. A decent isobutane winter mix fuel works great on canister stoves when the mercury drops.

For reference though, white gas stoves still reign King in windy winter conditions.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
If you have to use a canister stove in those conditions, make sure to have an isobutane based mix rather than n-butane. Also see if you can get a hose to connect the canister so you can run it inverted.(edit: you cant really just flip the canister without having some kind of preheat-loop. Not sure if you can retrofit that on a canister stove in a cost effective way.) Those two changes will buy you another 20° F or so of operating range. Still not at all ideal, but a bit more reliable.

Edit: And actually read about why/how canister stoves fail in the cold if you haven't. You can have a full fuel canister that works and assume you'll be fine, but then have it fail long before it's empty because you've burned off all the propane and only have butane left.

armorer fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 24, 2018

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Except alcohol stoves suck in winter, windy conditions, and I would presume altitude :ssh:

Not that I don't like alcohol stoves mind you, and not that I haven't used them in winter, but canister stove performance shouldn't be an issue as far as any of that is concerned. A decent isobutane winter mix fuel works great on canister stoves when the mercury drops.

For reference though, white gas stoves still reign King in windy winter conditions.

Well, I'd wanted to get a Trangia anyway. I'll stop in at REI or Sportsmans Warehouse and get some winter fuel canisters.

Between an alcohol stove and a canister stove with winter fuel, which would you expect to work better in cold weather and high altitude?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
How do you plan to use the stove? Will you be melting snow for water?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

armorer posted:

How do you plan to use the stove? Will you be melting snow for water?

If there is snow, probably yes.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I think you should be okay with either option at 20°F and 9000ft. The canister stove should be more efficient, assuming it works, but the alcohol stove should be less error prone. If you can keep the canister warm / warm it up before you use it, then I don't think you'd run into issues unless you're running it for a while.

It's probably easier to warm up a small amount of alcohol though. You can just keep a small container in an inside pocket. I don't know how long it will take to melt snow with the alcohol stove in those conditions (or to boil water).

Essentially they each have different drawbacks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well, I'd wanted to get a Trangia anyway. I'll stop in at REI or Sportsmans Warehouse and get some winter fuel canisters.

Between an alcohol stove and a canister stove with winter fuel, which would you expect to work better in cold weather and high altitude?

Liquid fuel stove 100%

**edit ... oops I misread alcohol stove and thought white gas**

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Pham Nuwen posted:

Canister stove no doubt. If you can get a stove where you can invert the canister (attached to the stove with a hose of some sort), it will work even better.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've been wanting to get one too, they're pretty spiffy little stoves :)

For awhile I was using alcohol all the time, and honestly it worked fine down to the single digits. I stopped using it once I thought about how much fuel I was using and just how many extra steps it took to find and store that fuel, so I switched to canister stoves and haven't looked back.

To answer your question though, I believe climbers typically use canister stoves. The best type of stoves for cold though are white gas stoves, or liquid fuel. These can be more expensive and heavier though, but because you refill your own fuel canisters, cheaper over the long run.

You can find cheaper and lighter, this is just for reference:

https://www.backcountry.com/primus-omnifuel-stove-w-ergopump-fuel-bottle

I so use mine for camping with cast iron and stuff, they're beastly little stoves

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Canister stoves with a remote fuel line and preheat loop (so they can support liquid fuel feed with the canister inverted) are your best bet for trips in all but the coldest weather, unless you need to bring lots of fuel (many people, longer trip) in which case a kerosene/white-gas stove will be more efficient.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I purchased an REI Quarter Dome 1 tent (2017) at an REI garage sale but decided I don't want it. Return reason is listed as "Used once, doesn't work for customer". I set it up in my backyard to check it out and it looks darn good, some dirt and dust on the underside and little scratches on one of the poles but otherwise looks brand new. If anyone wants to buy it I'll sell it for what I paid (around $182) + shipping.
PM me if anyone is interested.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 29, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone have any experience with the Osprey Volt 60? My current bag is a Farpoint 55, which is fine for a weekend camp, but it’s intended more as a travel pack than a backpacking pack. It doesn’t have a water bag compartment and it gets pretty fat when packed.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

FCKGW posted:

I purchased an REI Quarter Dome tent (2017) at an REI garage sale but decided I don't want it. Return reason is listed as "Used once, doesn't work for customer". I set it up in my backyard to check it out and it looks darn good, some dirt and dust on the underside and little scratches on one of the poles but otherwise looks brand new. If anyone wants to buy it I'll sell it for what I paid (around $182) + shipping.
PM me if anyone is interested.

Is it a 2p or 1p? I need a tent.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

Is it a 2p or 1p? I need a tent.

It's the 1p

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

FCKGW posted:

It's the 1p

I'll take it. Do you have an email I can contact you?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 29, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'll take it. Do you have an email I can contact you?

Mine is [edited]

Cool, email sent

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 29, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally getting a chance to really use it and my Eno SingleNest kicks so much rear end. Breathable, comfortable and easy.

Total game changer for my day pack.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Rolo posted:

Finally getting a chance to really use it and my Eno SingleNest kicks so much rear end. Breathable, comfortable and easy.

Total game changer for my day pack.

:golfclap:

Not too shabby. I found (in my basement) a relic of a time gone by.

A really filthy, moldy Eno hammock that was put away soaking wet. Thanks roommates!

I'll see if the washer will rehab it properly.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Does anyone have any opinions on Mountain Hardware sleeping bags? Alternatively, any suggestions on cold weather (below freezing, late shoulder season to winter camping) bags? Doesn't need to be ultralight, but packable for simple backpacking would be nice.

I can get this for $400 new, and reviews around the web seem good: https://www.mountainhardwear.com/phantom-torch-down-3f--16c-sleeping-bag-1671421.html

REI has a sale going on too, so I could get something else. I'm not tied to Mt Hardware, I just have a coupon for their store.

I've been making do with my Marmot Hydrogen, which is allegedly rated to 30F. But after our last trip with frost on our tent, I'm over shivering and layering my jackets to make it work. I want something more substantial, especially for our planned January tour of Utah parks.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Western Mountaineering bags are $ but pretty much the gold standard for sub-freezing temp, full mummy bags. They are also pretty light and very packable.

If you DO want to go ultralight, I would also consider the Katabatic Alsek (22deg), Sawatch (15deg), or Grenadier (5deg) quilts. The temp ratings are conservative/comfortable, i.e. you can actually sleep fine at 15 deg in the Sawatch, if not even a bit colder.

https://katabaticgear.com/elite-sleeping-bags/

Morbus
May 18, 2004

incogneato posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on Mountain Hardware sleeping bags? Alternatively, any suggestions on cold weather (below freezing, late shoulder season to winter camping) bags? Doesn't need to be ultralight, but packable for simple backpacking would be nice.

I can get this for $400 new, and reviews around the web seem good: https://www.mountainhardwear.com/phantom-torch-down-3f--16c-sleeping-bag-1671421.html

REI has a sale going on too, so I could get something else. I'm not tied to Mt Hardware, I just have a coupon for their store.

I've been making do with my Marmot Hydrogen, which is allegedly rated to 30F. But after our last trip with frost on our tent, I'm over shivering and layering my jackets to make it work. I want something more substantial, especially for our planned January tour of Utah parks.

A down mummy bag rated to 0-10F is the usual standard for winter mountain camping in the western US (not Alaska!). In terms of performance, all bags with a given EN rating (not necessarily the same as the rating in the name/marketing) are basically equivalent, provided they fit you well, which is usually easy enough to predict. I'd say to avoid bags with a stitched through construction vs. some kind of baffling, but the former is almost unheard of these days for low temperature rated down bags. Therefore, my usual recommendation is to shop around and by a used down bag. You can almost certainly save 100-200 dollars, and there are plenty of people selling lightly used down bags in excellent condition. Plus, the most ethical way to source down is to not buy new down in the first place, if you care about that.

Personally I use a Marmot Lithium that I got for $200 from someone selling it on the BPL forums. LWhiker.com indexes the gear swap subforums from most of the major backpacking/climbing/hiking forums, and is a good place to start.

It's worth noting that if you plan to overnight in very cold conditions for more than ~2 nights, synthetic insulation, or a synthetic overquilt on top of a more modestly rated down bag might be a better option, unless you will have some opportunity to dry out any condensation on your down bag. This isn't much of an issue during good weather out west... an hour in the sun takes care of any condensation in my bag. But for long trips in brutally cold non stop lovely weather (fun!) you probably to consider synthetic insulation (or sleeping in vapor barrier clothing). Synthetic is bulkier, not quite as light, and doesn't last as long, though.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone have recommendations for good long John's for 30 to 45 degree weather, and also warmer style pants that aren't just jeans or ski pants? Looking for warmer clothing to hang out at camp with, both car camping and backpacking.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I wear the 32 degree stuff sold at Costco. I like it quite a bit. Is long so it never feels too short and doesn't come untucked. Some day I'll probably go silk or merino but ive never had a problem with this stuff.

For camp pants I usually just wear long johns under my regular pants but a pair of thick warm fleece joggers or sweat pants probably wouldn't hurt, they just might be bulky and heavy. Probably more ideal for car camping than backpacking. I don't bring a lot of clothes backpacking and just wear my same pants the whole time so I don't bring night time pants. Usually just wearing my regular stuff or long johns.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Anyone have experience with the Nemo Dagger 2 or the MSR Hubba Hubba NX, or even both? Looking to replace my Fly Creek UL2 with something a little roomier since I'm with my partner on most trips now. I'm leaning towards the Dagger, but the Hubba is slightly cheaper with the current REI sale.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FireTora posted:

Anyone have experience with the Nemo Dagger 2 or the MSR Hubba Hubba NX, or even both? Looking to replace my Fly Creek UL2 with something a little roomier since I'm with my partner on most trips now. I'm leaning towards the Dagger, but the Hubba is slightly cheaper with the current REI sale.

I have the Hubba Hubba NX2, if that's what you're asking about. It's a loving palace at it's weight, both folks have full head-to-toe sleep area (no taper), the vestibules are huge, fly vents at both ends, can be pitched with just fly and footprint. You pay for all that of course but I like it and they've done me right in customer service so far. My only complaint is the door zippers have trouble "rounding the bend" on the door unless the tent is tightly staked out which for a free-standing tent shouldn't be an issue IMO.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Chard posted:

I have the Hubba Hubba NX2, if that's what you're asking about. It's a loving palace at it's weight, both folks have full head-to-toe sleep area (no taper), the vestibules are huge, fly vents at both ends, can be pitched with just fly and footprint. You pay for all that of course but I like it and they've done me right in customer service so far. My only complaint is the door zippers have trouble "rounding the bend" on the door unless the tent is tightly staked out which for a free-standing tent shouldn't be an issue IMO.

That's the one, they've changed the name slightly multiple times over the years. It sounds great, I think I'm gonna spend the little extra and pick up the Nemo though. It's slightly bigger, with larger vestibules, and weights a little less. Thanks for the feedback.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
20% off any one purchase at REI with coupon code GEARUP2018.

Trying hard to talk myself out of a Osprey Volt 60 for weekend camps. Hmmm.

E: I caved. It’s sweet.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 20, 2018

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

FireTora posted:

I have the Nemo Dagger 2 and it’s great. Was looking at the Hubba Hubba as well after spending a few nights in a buddy’s. I like the little touches of the Nemo and it’s light enough I just carry the whole thing when backpacking with the gf. Also, I hate that the MSR only comes in red now which was another reason I went with the Nemo. But really, both tents are pretty identical.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Rolo posted:

20% off any one purchase at REI with coupon code GEARUP2018.

Trying hard to talk myself out of a Osprey Volt 60 for weekend camps. Hmmm.

E: I caved. It’s sweet.

:3: noice! I've got some dumpy Eddie Bauer freebie right now, but it does the trick.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

:3: noice! I've got some dumpy Eddie Bauer freebie right now, but it does the trick.

I got lucky through a combination of sales, coupons, and credits. I got it for like 90.

REI is really cool about bending the fine print if you’re polite and friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Speaking of REI, I just picked up a Fly Creek HV UL1 for $174, which is $70 less than their 25% off sale price on the website. They also gave me a $20 gift card.

Chard fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 25, 2018