Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

So, wouldn't it be pretty risky for Mr. Wet Meatbag fireman to be standing near that fence? Or does he have special insulated boots or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You'd probably be safe even in regular clothes, honestly. Just don't turn yourself into a path to ground and stay out of potential arc flash distance.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lathes: Not even once.

https://i.imgur.com/8ibzbLT.mp4

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

So, that car crushed flat on the bridge had a young mom and a 3-year-old daughter in it :smith:

All happened because the truck in front was loving overloaded.

:capitalism:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I almost became the OSHA today.

I went and bought an 8' step ladder and thought I could get it home via the NYC subway. Turns out that at the station I had to use, there are some points along the escalator with slightly less than 8' of clearance under the ceiling beams.

In hindsight I was lucky not to be hurt as I was standing right next to it and it only bent out of shape instead of being launched out of the jam or spraying metal shards or something. Now I get to find out how permissive Lowe's exchange policy is...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When in doubt, always carry long poo poo parallel to the incline you're walking on

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You damaged angered the escalator and now it’s going to snap and devour a Chinese mother. :ohdear:

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1055276229018992640

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Considering how many people have died in wrestling, it's basically a ritual to the gods of workplace safety hazards.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
finally, the judy bagwell on a forklift match has been surpassed

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

haveblue posted:

I almost became the OSHA today.

I went and bought an 8' step ladder and thought I could get it home via the NYC subway. Turns out that at the station I had to use, there are some points along the escalator with slightly less than 8' of clearance under the ceiling beams.

In hindsight I was lucky not to be hurt as I was standing right next to it and it only bent out of shape instead of being launched out of the jam or spraying metal shards or something. Now I get to find out how permissive Lowe's exchange policy is...

Someone on an escalator did something similar with long planks or something, and they ended up opening the escalator steps under him and dropping him into the machinery underneath

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Someone on an escalator did something similar with long planks or something, and they ended up opening the escalator steps under him and dropping him into the machinery underneath

tfw you try to move some lumber and accidentally pry open a gate to hell

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Where is his fall protection

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

withak posted:

Where is his fall protection

The two guys.

They even did a two man lift.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

The two guys.

They even did a two man lift.

It was a cute moment but yeah, all three of them were working to make sure that impact was properly absorbed and no one got seriously hosed up.

Wrestling is "fake" only insofar as it's choreographed and the storylines are planned. Wrestlers are still really amazing athletes and acrobats.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Wrestling is real what

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Before OSHA, natural selection reigned supreme.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

They were all gonna die for a couple feet of French mud anyway, so

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

i'm the kid on the left falling and breaking his arm.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

red sampson posted:

i'm the kid on the left falling and breaking his arm.

From the image it looks like he’s going to land on his back

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

That's actually scaffolding being erected so the kids can build their own school to learn how to dart their tiny hands into machinery and get scrotal cancer from chemicals being sprayed on them at crotch height once their hands are too big to dart into machinery.

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulu Carl posted:

That's actually scaffolding being erected so the kids can build their own school to learn how to dart their tiny hands into machinery and get scrotal cancer from chemicals being sprayed on them at crotch height once their hands are too big to dart into machinery.

You forget about being scalped by the cotton milling machines, and fires that have no escape exits.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I mean I had playground equipment on par with that in 1992

The sheer amount of metal, wood and height involved was amazing

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

red sampson posted:

You forget about being scalped by the cotton milling machines, and fires that have no escape exits.

The scalping is covered in on-the job training. As for the fire thing? LOL you expect us to hold your loving hand every step of the way, little Billy? A man's gotta learn some things the hard way, and that factory job made me the man I am today.

*Is actually the dude Rico hands his enlistment papers to in Starship Troopers, but as a Victorian Era factory worker*

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Look, if the boss didn't chain all the fire exits shut, the kids would use them to stand around smoking on the clock. So really, he's generously saving them from lung cancer.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Scared of a little fire. More like triangle pantywaist if you ask me.

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
hey guys its not like labor was cheap back then and jpmorgan chase paid out the settlements or anything

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Gunshow Poophole posted:

We lost our cool unsafe playground equipment in '88. They took out the steel and gravel and put in plastic and wood chips. After that, almost no-one broke their limbs. It was lame.

At least we could still play down by the interstate with broken beer bottles and syringes. 30 years later and they've even taken that away from us. My kids will never have the joy of playing "Run screaming from the crazy person living under a tarp."

They were simpler times back then.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Byzantine posted:

They were all gonna die for a couple feet of French mud anyway, so

I just listened to the episode of The Great War about Christmas 1914 and about the impromptu truce on the Western Front. And then the narrator says "This would not happen again. By Christmas 1915, instead of trading chocolate and whiskey in no-man's-land, these men were killing each other with poison gas".

:smith:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Memento posted:

I just listened to the episode of The Great War about Christmas 1914 and about the impromptu truce on the Western Front. And then the narrator says "This would not happen again. By Christmas 1915, instead of trading chocolate and whiskey in no-man's-land, these men were killing each other with poison gas".

:smith:

There are children in Africa who don't have any poison gas, so you be sure to finish all of yours and thank your nan.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mostlygray posted:

My kids will never have the joy of playing "Run screaming from the crazy person living under a tarp."

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

Scared of a little fire. More like triangle pantywaist if you ask me.

Heh, nice

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/GKTFO/status/991683026538156034

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

playgrounds ruled but too many kids had too much fun and fell 15ft to their death. goddamn kids ruined wonderball chocolates with real toys inside too

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

when i was 8 i stuck my head in an easy bake oven

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Wasn't that just a glorified case for a couple of incandescent light bulbs?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

GotLag posted:

Wasn't that just a glorified case for a couple of incandescent light bulbs?

Dude has a head like a Nintendo cart

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well I got a neat one today

In our shop we have a large industrial spot welder. It is rated for continuous use at up to 8000 amps (~25kW) and, as such, is water-cooled. The cooling system runs water directly into the arms of the welder and up against the bottom of the electrodes, which are pointed copper rods press-fitted into their sockets.

I was using it today to weld some stuff and had made about 10 welds when I realized oops, I forgot to turn on the water. No biggie, better late than never! So I reached around to the back of the machine and opened the valves, and about 0.5 seconds later there was a BANG ZING and a cloud of steam and fountain of water as the cold water hit the hot electrode, flash-boiled, and blasted it into the ceiling :jeb:

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

How much poo came out after that one Sagebrush? And does your workplace have a cctv system and did it catch it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
It's unstuck now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IewSJDqeso