Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

It took me a moment to realise that tipping was, y'know, tipping as in leaving money at a restaurant.
For a brief instant, I thought it was something associated with circumcision, and I didn't like what I was thinking. :gonk:

The parents pay the mohel and he gets to keep the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulChaloner/status/1055461693847937025

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Passing through rural Indiana. I just saw a billboard that said:

We’re into S&N
(Spay & Neuter)

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
edit: nevermind

Hollow Talk has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Oct 28, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

It's the most popular melee weapon in Fortnite.

In PUBG the frying pan is bulletproof, so if you have it on you can't be shot.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It also bats grenade but bullets aimed at the butt are more common.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Count Chocula posted:

Fun fact: the guy who started GamerGate originally posted his screed here but he got banned and it got deleted

Christ I remember that thread. I also remember how everyone, EVERYONE was calling him a moron.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhymes With Clue posted:

There is this billboard I drive by on a major street in Denver. Its theme line: "No Netflix. No Chill."

It's an ad for some kind of blanket. It shows a blanket.

I think they missed the boat here. "Netflix and chill" meme was never about movies and temperatures and at any rate it's over. But anyway if I had done it--and I wouldn't have--I would have said "Netflix and no chill."

I'm wrong about practically everything though so who knows? At least now I've heard of the company, although I immediately forgot its name, so maybe it wasn't a dumb marketing move.

Netflix recently started a campaign called "Netflix and chills" to promote horror movies for halloween.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Samovar posted:

Christ I remember that thread. I also remember how everyone, EVERYONE was calling him a moron.

I one day wish to have a breakup so bad that I ruin an entire industry.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I can’t find it now but there’s a Zoe Quinn tweet that’s like ‘You ever have a breakup so bad it ushers in a new age of global fascism?’

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Alhazred posted:

Netflix recently started a campaign called "Netflix and chills" to promote horror movies for halloween.

I was gonna make a Chiller Channel joke, but I found out they shut down in December. RIP, channel that was all about horror and supernatural shows/movies. :smith:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

i read this more as black women are saving the world and they want to be more human so they can save the world better. maybe i am way to into black women political podcasts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

snergle posted:

i read this more as black women are saving the world and they want to be more human so they can save the world better. maybe i am way to into black women political podcasts.

I'm pretty sure that's kinda the idea, but the presentation is whoooooooaaaaaaaaa nnnooooooooooooooo (don't DO that you dumb motherfuuuuckers)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There have been so many foot-in-mouth mistakes with Black people in advertising that we have lost the benefit of the doubt.

Run it through an extra focus group composed entirely of Black people. If it passes that then it's a go. Call it the White Man Men's burden.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a Reebok CrossFit Nano 8 Flexweave® stamping on a human face - forever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

There have been so many foot-in-mouth mistakes with Black people in advertising that we have lost the benefit of the doubt.

Run it through an extra focus group composed entirely of Black people. If it passes that then it's a go. Call it the White Man Men's burden.

That's really the thing that gets me in all of this; it could all be avoided by literally just putting it on a table in front of like four black people and being all "hey my dudes, how does this read to you?" If they go "yeah that could be read in a pretty racist way" then you don't put it out. It isn't complicated.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's really the thing that gets me in all of this; it could all be avoided by literally just putting it on a table in front of like four black people and being all "hey my dudes, how does this read to you?" If they go "yeah that could be read in a pretty racist way" then you don't put it out. It isn't complicated.

This should be standard practice.

It also seems completely mental that you have to check if putting a black female activist's inspirational quote next to her picture is going to have people read it as racist.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Byzantine posted:

It also seems completely mental that you have to check if putting a black female activist's inspirational quote next to her picture is going to have people read it as racist.

Part of the issue, I think, is that because it's corporate advertising, it's not presented as a quote, it's presented as a slogan. Add quotation marks and the quote itself is fine; without them, it reads like Reebok is telling Black women that their job is to provide support for everybody else.

As mentioned, though, the real problem is with the "Be More Human" line. It's tone-deaf in a world where multiple groups are routinely dehumanized by people with structural power.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

You have to really look for the lady’s name and whether it’s something she said or not. When it’s an ad featuring some quote by Thomas Jefferson or Roosevelt they stick an unmistakable byline in there.

They didn’t do themselves any favors.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

They could have done that with some very minor changes, really. First is to remove the hashtag. Second would be to put her name on the quote and have some indication that that's her in the picture. One of the issues is that most people seeing that probably have no idea who she actually is. I didn't. To somebody that doesn't know who she is or that she said that it reads very, very badly.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That's fair.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The quote itself seems fine, it seems like a stretch to make something racist out of that.

The hastag, though...yeah.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://twitter.com/seanposting/status/1054136447362629637

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
It's cheaper to buy 50 wings and 10 wings than it is to buy 60 wings.

Maybe this is a way to save money for people who want a lot of wings but enjoy working out the most efficient way to buy them first.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Wing 25 is really cheap.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

jobson groeth posted:

It's cheaper to buy 50 wings and 10 wings than it is to buy 60 wings.

Maybe this is a way to save money for people who want a lot of wings but enjoy working out the most efficient way to buy them first.

Both Reddit and this forum have hilarious threads full of math trying to work out the most efficient number of wings to buy.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Count Chocula posted:

Both Reddit and this forum have hilarious threads full of math trying to work out the most efficient number of wings to buy.

Yeah, I was confused for a moment, thinking "Weren't we already talking about this?"

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Count Chocula posted:

I can’t find it now but there’s a Zoe Quinn tweet that’s like ‘You ever have a breakup so bad it ushers in a new age of global fascism?’

Eron Gjoni ought to be tossed in an ouibliette and required to play Depression Quest daily and read Crash Override twice a month for the rest of his life (this is a reflection on him, not the media I mentioned).

snergle posted:

Folks already mentioned the lack of quotations and tiny text of her name makes it appear as if the quote is being applied to Gurai instead of something she actually said, but also black women are not here to save the world and don’t need to be “more human.”

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Folks already mentioned the lack of quotations and tiny text of her name makes it appear as if the quote is being applied to Gurai instead of something she actually said, but also black women are not here to save the world and don’t need to be “more human.”

The majority of the people seeing the ad will definitely view it as the former because it's designed exactly like those ads. Put her name prominent, and photograph her looking into the camera. That will make it blatantly obvious that these are her words she is directing at you, the viewer.

Also we're still coming fresh out of centuries of black people being relentlessly hosed over by colonialism and slavery so white people could have better lives because black people weren't considered human at all. It would have been so easy to avoid that implication.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Coming out of?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Coming out of?

Hey now we hardly ever called Michelle Obama bad things to her face.

Progress.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Oct 30, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
:chloe:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1057325131398287361

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is really only a dumb marketing move to people that aren't the target audience. For the (old, white, racist) people this is speaking to, it's "just good common sense" and "well it may not be popular but that's telling it like it is".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Keep Connecticut for Connecticut! Don't want dem New York types running our state!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Memento posted:

This is really only a dumb marketing move to people that aren't the target audience. For the (old, white, racist) people this is speaking to, it's "just good common sense" and "well it may not be popular but that's telling it like it is".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm guessing Connecticut's GOP voters don't include old conservative Jews unlike in some other parts of the US.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

The MSJ posted:

I'm guessing Connecticut's GOP voters don't include old conservative Jews unlike in some other parts of the US.

My dude have you heard of Joe Lieberman.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fair

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Vfy0TxKaE

"For me... it's enough". That sounds like "This product isn't great but it's.... good enough".

The old man also says "I like to keep up with new trends" so I guess the ad targets 50 year olds who try to be hip.